El Ceviche Grill
115-A San Jacinto
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
El Ceviche Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcevichegrill.com/
- Phone: 5124945649
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from El Ceviche Grill
Latin American Seafood, Live Music and DrinksContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Ceviche Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Slow, quiet night at El CevicheLove2eatDined on 9/24/2013When my husband and I were there for dinner there were only two other people having drinks and dessert. Ambience was quiet. Food was good, nothing extraordinary. Service was very good. Dessert (tres leches cake) was to die for. Would go back for dessert more so than food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!SeanmtzDined on 9/10/2013Great food. Intimate location. Interesting decor and awesome service. The waitress suggested a plate and it was the best! Definitely recommended and making this location a must!Special Features:
- We love ceviche and were disappointnant515Dined on 9/6/2013We love ceviche and were disappointed that the ceviche offerings were odd. We thought because of the name and reviews that this would be the place to get ceviche but we were sorely disappointed. The waitress was great. No need for a reservation at 6pm on Friday night--it was dead.
- As you might guess from theAustinDinerDined on 8/29/2013As you might guess from the name, the ceviche was terrific. The other food was fine, but paled in comparison.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency is urgently needed....WorldFoodieVIPDined on 8/26/2013This is real Mexican seafood, and the chef / owner / foodie Alejandro rocks... However, when he is not around food is continiously inconsistent and that is a great problem. Service is bad to very bad, even though a good number of waiters are available, but there is not much of a service concept. Has a lot of potential, but recipes and presentations need to be institutionalized, and service needs to urgently improve. Drinks shall be served promptly, and food plates need to be picked from the table soon after the meal has ended. I really hope that these serious glitches are resolved promptly and we can enjoy the Ceviche Grill for long!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceKarenFVIPDined on 8/16/2013We have eaten at El Ceviche several times and have never been disappointed in the food. Always excellent and fresh. They care about what they do and it's obvious. However, the best part of the dining experience is the service from Joseph. He has been consistently wonderful, full of suggestions and knowledge about the menu and what's good. Just ask him what he recommends and order it. You won't be disappointed. The only glitch in the experience is the bar. The wine menu is VERY limited, the frozen margaritas haven't been consistently good. I hope they get a better wine list that has more than 3 choices of white. Mojitos are very good, though!Special Features:
- OMG!! THE RICE OF GODS!!!KellyDined on 8/2/2013All the food was spectacular, started with the mussels steamed in a white wine shallot rosemary sauce. Cooked perfectly, excellent flavors. For entrees my wife ordered the chile relleno, very excellent, not deep fried which allowed the pepper to still taste like a pepper and keep its heat, stuffing of gorgonzola and shrimp was a nice take on the dish. I ordered the steak skewers, very excellent, the habanero mayonaise suggested by the waiter was an excellent little dipping sauce. Server was great, we had a coupon and he treated us like we were his only table, even brought out samples of their new crab stock soup to try. But really the item that blew me away was the most simple and humble of all, THE RICE!!, simply incredible,Special Features:
- Don't let the 'sport-bar'CMDPDined on 7/27/2013Don't let the 'sport-bar' appearance fool you, the food quality was great! All was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much better second time around!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2013We went for a weekend lunch, and the ceviche was just OK. Went for dinner a month later, and was much better. We had a fish entree both times, as well, and it's obvious they tend to overcook the fish. The second visit, I had the chipotle salmon, and I told them this, and they happily prepared a new plate for me that was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMyoungoneDined on 7/22/2013their ceviche was great, relatively quiet atmosphere, enjoyed our mealSpecial Features:
- El Ceviche GrillWilleniumVIPDined on 7/11/2013My first experience lunch experience at El Ceviche Grill was great from the service to ceviche appetizers. However, last Thursday night my tuna entree, along with my friends, were very disappointing to say the least. I do recall there was a large group of artist attending El Ceviche that night and perhaps that caused the speed bump. Stick to the ceviche and you will be pleased.
- My husband and I had dinnerAnniejayDined on 7/10/2013My husband and I had dinner at El Ceviche Grill while vacationing in Austin, Texas. We both had ceviche and a side of guacamole. The food was delicious and the service was friendly and gracious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Seafood in AustinDinerDined on 6/22/2013It is easy to find good Mexican food in Austin but hard to find good, fresh, authentic Mexican seafood in Austin. We finally found that place and will be back again and again. Also, the drinks are extremely good, fresh and STRONG!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & musicLovemyATXDined on 6/21/2013Service was a little slow, but we were well entertained with the live music. The food & cocktails were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised.DrewDined on 6/21/2013My fiancé and I stopped here for some appetizers and margaritas on the way to a movie at Alamo Drafthouse. We had the ceviche sampler and some raw oysters. The ceviche was great - very fresh. The oysters came with their take on a cocktail sauce, kind of a smokey, chipotle-vinegar concoction, which I really liked. The,margaritas were delicious. We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fresh seafood and homeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/20/2013Very fresh seafood and home made tostada. Will go often. Valet park at P.F. Chang. Not TexMex more central Mexico and good prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to eat!DaveDDined on 6/19/2013my food was great, I had the grilled shrimp But my friend had the blackened shrimp which had some kind of spice on it that was overpowering the shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Mahi MahiLee61Dined on 6/19/2013My wife and I went here on Living Social coupon. The food was very tasty. I had the catch of the day which was mahi mahi with a French onion tasting brown sauce. It was a large portion and fresh tasting. She had chicken mole which she liked. They had a good draft beer and wine selection. We found a street parking place, but parking is an issue with area construction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedJohanna1Dined on 6/15/2013The food was DELICIOUS! I took my father for dinner and was very surprised with the selection of seafood that was on the menu. Everything had great flavor and would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Full of flavor !!!PeruviangirlDined on 6/9/2013Being that it is advertised as a Ltin American restaurant I was hoping for more Ceviche varieties in the menu. However, the food was vary tasty and full of flavor. Definitely will be coming back !!
- Great service and foodRelish72VIPDined on 6/8/2013I was impressed with the friendly service and recommendations from our waitress. The new bartender was great and made a point to check on the satisfaction of our drinks, which was very considerate. Food was hot and fresh with great taste! This is a restaurant I'll be returning to for sure.Special Features:
- awesome chile relleno!Sunny1Dined on 6/8/2013My husband & I went there on a living social deal and were suitably impressed! The complimentary small cup of soup broth was great, so the recommended seafood soup must also be very good. The cerviche starter was good. However, my chile relleno was terrific! I am a huge chile relleno fan and most places don't come up to my standard for this. Their's is awesome: baked, split open to reveal lots of wonderful shrimp and a very tasty sauce. Luckily my chile was also hot! My husband's shrimp kabob was very good as well. The vegetable side was also prepared well, zucchini and squash to the correct cooking (not hard or mushy) and seasoned just right. It was good to get the beer on draft in a pint glass as well.Special Features:
- Great foodSeafoodchickDined on 6/1/2013Everything was rich and delicious. Entree portions are generous. We had the ceviche sampler, spinach enchiladas and the shrimp Alfredo and the tortilla soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Happycrg1976Dined on 5/28/2013Our food was very impressive and our server had a perfect balance of attentiveness and space. He was very thoughtful and aware, without being all over our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time and enjoyed even moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013I was able to get a table quickly, even though it was Saturday evening. This time we tried the Tuna Ceviche-- delicious, fresh and perfectly seasoned. The tostadas are light, and crispy and hold up to the ceviche and salsa well. The salsa was again sweet/spicy and the freshest i think I've experienced. I had the shrimp fettucine and my friend had the chile relleno. The fettucine was delicious, just a bit spicy, otherwise a standard but excellent example of that dish. The chile relleno was pronounced delicious as well. I also enjoyed a house margarita- generous pour but not 'boozy.' My friend had a glass of Argentine wine (Malbec) which he said was quite good. The hostess and wait staff were as charming and attentive as ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Interior Mexican SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/21/2013Stumbled upon this restaurant through Open Table. I live downtown and had never heard of it. Learned it opened in November 2012. Amazing ceviche, amazing fish of the day with white rice and beans. Excellent dining experience and looking forward to sharing this place with my friends. NOTE: There's a temporary sign up so it's easy to miss, and the sign is ambiguous, walked by this place twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ProposalSpicy512Dined on 5/18/2013Everything was PERFECT...food delicious...service great... Even down to the unexpected proposal that my Fiancé had planned out!!! I said yes!!! Best 7yr anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood cornucopiaLongTimeVisitorVIPDined on 5/17/2013Lots of seafood choices on the menu (but other stuff too), including 4 different types of ceviche, which we ordered as a combination/sampler plate, and all were very good. It wasn't too busy in the early evening when we were there, so it was fairly quiet. It's a very good, moderately priced, downtown seafood destination.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip- great successOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013This was my first trip to El Ceviche and I couldn't have been happier. The hostess was a charmer, 0ur waitress was also friendly and very helpful, and the bar crew were also very friendly. Toasted tortillas with a delicious sweet-spicy fresh salsa and an espresso-size seafood soup with bits of crab are complimentary starters-- delicious, and welcome. Although El Ceviche's specialty is seafood, we didn't order any, getting the chicken salad (fresh, crisp, and delicious) and the mola chicken flautas, which are *the best* i've had anywhere. Ask for a sample of their Mole sauce, they gladly bring it and you won't be sorry. It was close to as perfect as I think mortals could get. We'll be back, and I'm definitely ordering ceviche next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.luckydogDined on 5/3/2013Horrible. The hostess & waitress were very nice bur waitress not very experienced & it showed. Restaurant was not very attractive & the food & drinks were the worst I've had in a long time. We ordered mojitos...very strange!. It mostly tasted like soda. The mint in it was old & I swear there was not one drop of alcohol in it. I exchanged mine for a margarita & again, zero alcohol. Didn't even taste much like a margarita. We order an appetizer, not sure what it was called. Essentially it was like chopped fish smashed on tostados. My friend ordered shrimp k-bobs. Said it was marginal & shrimp were very small. I ordered Caribbean Salmon. Marginal, lacking in flavor & fish overcooked. Don't waste your time.
- The food was so-so, it wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013The food was so-so, it wasn't horrible, but wasn't anything to recommend. The service; however, was disasterous! Not only the waiter who was rarely around, but also the manager!
- Don't Miss Out on this Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2013Incredible food - FRESH! CREATIVE! IMAGINATIVE! AUTHENTIC! We had great service from Tom, who patiently explained the myriad menu options and clearly is a fan of not only the cuisine, but also the preparation. The fresh oysters were excellent & the ceviche sampler was amazing! Other Tex-Mex fare was great, as well. Overall, a superb experience!Special Features:
- Overall it was pretty good,drd1VIPDined on 4/20/2013Overall it was pretty good, only downside is the portions are large and my tuna steak was a bit overdone.Special Features:
- Way too LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013This restaurant is not suited for parties that are trying to talk to one another. The live music is loud the piped speaker music is extremely loud. The servers do not communicate with each other on who is taking drink orders or food orders. The food was not awful, however there were issues with many of the plates - not the right order; not placed at all; forgotten plates. All the mishaps made for a very unpleasant experience.
- My girlfriend and I love theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013My girlfriend and I love the laid back feel of this place - festive, tiki type – like a beach side resturant...minus the beach. I definitely would return to try more seafood dishes. The corn tortillas are home made and fried to use as chips with the amazing salsa, lots of zest! We enjoyed the cheviche and baja fish tacos. Service was well-timed and friendly and attentive."Special Features:
- Went to El Ceviche for myOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Went to El Ceviche for my husband's birthday dinner with 6 friends. Food was great: fresh oysters, scrumptious bahi tuna ceviche, tropical kind was good as well. I had martini with passion fruit (don't recall the name), but it was out of this world! And the band was playing non-stop all the time, really talented guys.Special Features:
- Fun night out.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/6/2013Had a great time at El Civche. Food and drinks were great and the band was really entertaining. Parking was easy. Would recommend for sure.Special Features:
- I can't figure this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2013I can't figure this place out. Its somewhere between a disco, sports bar, Mexican restaurant or seafood parlor. While things worked the service was spotty....two different servers who generally got things right. We were greeted at the door by a guy who I can't figure out. He was either the owner, manager or parking or attendant. The noise level was high - a DJ was playing at 6:00 PM - a little early for head pounding music. The food was good but nothing special. I don;t think I'll be back. There are better choices around.
- The food was amazing, I totallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013The food was amazing, I totally enjoyed the ceviche and the grilled fish tacos were perfect
- Food was great but we thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Food was great but we thought that it was expensive for what we got. I wouldn't go back for dinner but definitively would go for brunch or lunch.Special Features: