El Centro D.F.
1819 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
El Centro D.F.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/elcentrodf/
- Phone: 2023283131x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Late Night: Sunday - Thursday: 11:00pm - 2:00am, Friday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 3:00am Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:30am - 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Latin Thursdays
10 PM-2 AM | Every Thursday in the Tequileria Lounge
Salsa / Merengue / Bachata / Top 40 / Samba / and more
No cover | Dress to impress!
Rooftop HH Drinks 10pm-11pm
- Special Events: Please contact Nora Bankert at firstname.lastname@example.org to book your table. We'll help you select times and menus just right for your gathering. We look forward to hearing from you!
A word from El Centro D.F.
Internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval combines traditional culinary techniques with fresh, high quality ingredients to create authentic Mexican comfort food at El Centro D.F. Designed to reflect the bustling street shops and colorful rituals of everyday life in Mexico, the restaurant is comprised of three distinct dining spaces all under one roof. The Taqueria features a casual atmosphere where a lively open kitchen serves authentic favorites. The Tequileria allows guests to dine or lounge as mixologists craft Latin cocktails from 200 Tequilas & Mezcals. Along the rooftop guests raise a glass at two open-air bars. Warm, Latin-inspired service and welcoming hospitality will round out your experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
El Centro D.F. - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
El Centro D.F. reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (75)fit for foodies (60)good for groups (58)vibrant bar scene (56)neighborhood gem (55)hot spot (53)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (21)special occasion (19)great for lunch (15)romantic (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not good and not funOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014The noise level was unbearable. We went on a Tuesday night.We had a high table with VERY uncomfortable stools. This might be their way to increase table turnover! The food was OK, nothing special, not genuine Mexican food. The waiter kept interrupting us all the time. He kept coming to our table to say "This looks beautiful" (our food). We did not need a cheerleader. We wanted food that tasted good. Nothing special about this restaurant if one has experienced good dining in a place where you can actually talk to the people you are dining with. The restaurant is full because it's in a hot neighborhood where a lot of young people in their 20s and 30s go out. By the way, I am not 90 years old, I am very fit and I dine out a lot in Washington.
- Terrific serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014Amazing service last night at El Centro. Highly recommend to everyone. Get the spicy mango margarita or the red and stormy cocktail.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Food and margaritas were great but the service was terrible. This was our second time at this restaurant and if it was our first impression, we would never go back. The waiter was incompetent and actually argued with us about the bill (which he ran incorrectly 4 times). When we asked for a manager he kept arguing and tried to resolve the bill on his own. When he returned to the table and the the bill was still incorrect we had to ask for the manager again. The manager didn't seem interested and gave us a standard speech. This review would have been very different if we had a different server.Special Features:
- Great First Visit!PescaFoodieDined on 8/17/2014Dinner during last night of Summer Restaurant Week and were not disappointed! Everything on the menu appears to be made in house, down to the condiments (salsa, guac, even the sour cream!). Impressive tequila list. House-infused tequila margaritas are also available--try the pinapple serrano marg if you're a fellow spice lover! Shrimp "ceviche" was delicious and refreshing, with just the right amount of spice/heat, although not truly ceviche (shrimp were cooked, and dish was very brothy--but broth was wonderful addition to chips and salsa!). The cactus tacos were a great foodie find, and beef fajitas were also on point. Both entrees were served with bowls of homemade refried black beans and Spanish rice w/peas. Will def return!Special Features:
- Great!BeccaDined on 8/16/2014I love El Centro and I have been there a couple times now. I also really appreciated how I made a mistake when ordering and didn't notice how I had ordered something that I couldn't eat due to a food allergy. The waitress was very gracious and I really felt like customers matter at El Centro.Special Features:
- Great food!PigletDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding. We were seated in the basement, which was not as noisy and smoky as the first floor. The decor was very interesting--the walls are decorated with Aztec masks bathed in red light. The service was friendly and prompt. The noise level was too high for our taste--we are all over 50. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Love It!NewfoodieDined on 8/13/2014My sister and I enjoyed our dinner here. The waiters and waitresses were very kind and the service was fast. The food was amazing! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was hosting a special menu for "restaurant week" and it was fantastic. The meal included a drink, appetizer, main course, and a dessert for a great price. Not only was it delicious, but was plenty of food as well. Definitely recommend to anyone...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!DCVisitorDined on 8/8/2014Cocktails were great, food was spectacular. The beef enchiladas, chicken enchiladas, and the accompanying rice and beans were just a bit better than you get at your normal Mexican restaurant.Special Features:
- Not the best visitBrettDCDined on 8/3/2014If this was my first time at El Centro I'd be disappointed. Luckily my date and I enjoyed each other's conversation. I've been to the Georgetown location several times before and always been amazing! My first time here at the 14 St. location was much different. We did the $35 brunch and placed our drink orders. This came out fine, but after that nothing went right. We ordered our food after these and nothing came out for almost 20 minutes. When we asked again about or orders and ten minutes later only one thing arrived it was annoying. We asked again about our orders and the server apologized. Soon we multiples of the same items arriving or things we didn't order. My date was vegetarian and all but one of her items came with meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodChelleNikkiDined on 8/3/2014There is nothing monotonous about their menu. Very good food!Special Features:
- El centro is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014This was my first time going to el centro for brunch and the food was amazing. We ended up cokin back for happy hour afte leaving brunch. I will go back and continue to go there for happy hourSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, accommodating serversErinDined on 7/26/2014I've dined here before and really enjoyed it, but the staff went above and beyond on my last visit to accommodate a friend who had a food allergy. The chef himself brought out her specially made entree. Consistently great and fun vibe!Special Features:
- STP72VIPDined on 7/26/2014Despite plenty of tables open when I arrived, we were asked to wait until the remainder of our party arrived. I understand during a rush or if I didn't have a reservation but the hostess seemed to be pretty strict about this despite there being several open tables in the dinning room. All the food was pretty good for tex mex but if you have ever had tamales in the south west then don't bother ordering them here. They were kind of dry and too much chicken, but decent if you have only had east coast tamales. The enchiladas were fine, as were the nopal tacos. I didn't try the flatbread that was ordered by one in our party but it was reported as "pretty good."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great timeJeffHDined on 7/26/2014Our group, encompassing a range from a 9 month old to a senior citizen, received great service and excellent food.Special Features:
- Great service, but so loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014The staff here are excellent, but the music is SO loud, I had trouble hearing, even in the "quieter" downstairs section.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco Tuesdays!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014$2 Tacos on Tuesday, do I need to say more?!? Each week they feature three different tacos, each for $2 a taco. Great deal and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN THE HOODRobertVIPDined on 7/19/2014Dinner was terrific. We have had the guacamole before, but it, along with the salsa was better than ever. It had just enough residual heat and the avocados were perfect. The shrimp cerviche was as good as the cerviches we had at Sandoval's place in NYC a couple of years ago. After that, we only had room enough for the duck tacos and they were delicious. The duck was delicious and had nice crunchy bits. The Serrano/pineapple margaritas were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!klucca27Dined on 7/19/2014Food and drinks were excellent, and service was superb! It was my birthday, and they brought me and my family not just one, but 2 desserts - on the house! And they were to-die-for!Special Features:
- Bad Serviceorange11amDined on 7/19/2014Second time at brunch here. Loved it the first time, but the service has really gone down hill. Food delivery was inconsistent, as well as the quality of the food and drinks. Sad to see the quality of this brunch decline.
- EhdinerguyVIPDined on 7/13/2014Horrible service. Hard to get drinks. Waiter was overwhelmed. Appetizers came out with meal. It was clear that the staff were poorly trained.Special Features:
- Not for bday celebration!!FabulousDined on 7/13/2014I went for brunch! To celebrate my friend bday!!! They dont do anything special for bdays!!!!! Whats the point to go for celebration!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtoeatDined on 7/13/2014The hostess at the front was rude, as a person who has worked at a Richard Sandoval restaurant and one who knows what expected of a hostess, her tone was demeaning and rude will definitely not be going back......
- So soDinningDivaDined on 7/12/2014Went for brunch and did the all you can eat and drink special. We service was lacking and we didn't get a number of items we ordered. We also had to ask repeatedly for condiments and water. The mixed drinks were good and it was a good deal but I think I'll try a few other places before I return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is not that greathekkhbDined on 7/12/2014I love this place for dinner. Unfortunately their brunch menu is not good. With their bottomless brunch concept, which I admit, $35 is hard to beat; but there's nothing special about it. Drinks are watered down and the food is just bad. I wish they would have a real brunch menu, one comparable to their dinner menu, I would rather pay regular prices for good food. Service wasn't the best either, usually waiters/waitresses are checking how everything is, this time we had to keep flagging people to get another drink or even to get silverware. Will not be coming back for brunch after three disappointing experiences.
- RT328Dined on 7/12/2014Great experience! The atmosphere was really fun and energetic! The food and drinks were wonderful! The service was a little slow, but other than that my friends and I had a great time!Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceJuliaDined on 7/11/2014My parents and I had dinner at El Centro and had an amazing experience. Our server, Sarai, was friendly and informative about the menu and she even remembered my dad and me from when we had dined there a few months ago. Food was outstanding, as usual. The manager Josh treated us like family. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Good food but too louddferroDined on 7/5/2014The food was excellent, but the restaurant was way too loud. Our waitress had to raise our voice to be heard, and we had to do so, as well. I hate not being able to hear my dinner companions. Turning down the music might help.
- Don't waste your time or moneyBlacklabfreyrVIPDined on 7/5/2014The food and drinks are mediocre at best. The service is fair. Don't waste your food dollars.
- Love Brunch at El CentroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Discovered El Centro's brunch a few weeks ago and I've been there 3 weekends in a row. The food is good, drinks are tasty (and bottomless) and service is great. Can't lose with El Centro's brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing bottomless food brunchShelbiRenaeDined on 7/5/2014I cannot recommend El Centro D.F. highly enough! I went to the location on 14th street with three out of town guests and although we had a reservation for inside, they let us move up to the seat yourself outdoor patio. The weather was wonderful and the TVs had the World Cup queued up and ready to go. Although El Centro advertises the $35 bottomless food and drinks option, we did the $25 bottomless food only route since we had a fully day ahead. We tried almost the whole menu between the four of us and everything was exceptional! Our waiter was attentive and even let us know when it got busier that there may be a slight slowdown in food speed (which was totally fine with us!). I loved the atmosphere, service, and food.Special Features:
- Delicious Bottomless Brunch!Jlowe88Dined on 6/29/2014This place can't be beat for the bottomless brunch. The food is varied and fresh….and there is so much of it! The brunch with the alcohol included is fine, but the food is so good you don't want to fill up on drinks, so get the bottomless brunch without the alcohol. The food came out quickly and it is all small plates. The wait staff works hard for the $ and all in all I highly recommend. Please tip your waiter accordingly!Special Features:
- Great birthday celebrationmexicanfoodsnobVIPDined on 6/28/2014I had been to El Centro before and had an ok experience, but this one was much better, largely because of the company, but our waitress was absolutely fantastic and that weighed a lot on our great time, too. She was quick and friendly and any time we asked for anything she was a step ahead of us. We practically had to be rolled out the food was so good and we kept wanting to try more. The top two dishes were the churros and the hot dog- wrapped in bacon. But everything was very tasty!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014Great food--better than I expected. Service was excellent--helpful, friendly, attentive. Ambience--interesting--I liked it; was concerned when we were taken to basement, but it was great--far better than being seated on the ground level.Special Features:
- El CentroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014If you are hitting up a concert at The Black Cat, be sure to give yourself an extra hour to pop right next door into El Centro for a drink and a bite to eat. The place is awesome, something for everyone on the menu. I chose the Baja Tacos. The arrived on a cool tray with little taco holders, the best black beans I have ever ate and some Spanish style rice. Great beer and cocktail selections also. I will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Rooftop BrunchzvaigzdutemDined on 6/22/2014Took advantage of El Centro's unlimited brunch on their lovely little rooftop. It felt like cheating to have so much good food and so many amazing drinks to choose from! I highly recommend the mole fries and the watermelon agua fresca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieatheartDined on 6/21/2014The food was good and our server was very knowledgeable on tequilla choicesSpecial Features:
- Great food amazing drinksicuspr05Dined on 6/20/2014As a hospitality professional myself I always appreciate good service and genuinely good hospitality. This place certainly has that. The infused tequilas are amazing! Must try. And they don't use cheap stuff either. Give it a shot! You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okLwhitmandcDined on 6/19/2014Six diners. Each ordered different entrees. My flank steak was very very salty. Tacos were bland. It was not bad, but with so many restaurant choices, I would not return to El Centro. Service was pleasant and efficient.
- Consistently great food...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2014fresh ingredients, not greasy or fatty tasting, dinner plates had great combinations of food items.Special Features: