18 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcatrin.ca/
- Phone: 4162032121x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday 11:30am to 5pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:30am to 5pm
Dinner: 7 days a week 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Olivier Le Calvez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact directly.
- Private Party Contact: Distillery Events (416)203-2363x
A word from El Catrin
Just opened July 11th in the Distillery District is El Catrin Destileria. With a stunning hand painted 20'x60' mural and one of the best patios and cocktail lists in the city, this Authentic Mexican eatery with a lively vibe and fun staff is sure to be a hit. Chef Le Calvez who moved here from Mexico City just a month ago is eager to show Torontonians the fresh flavours that represent his homelands famous cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
El Catrin - Best Restaurants in Distillery District ›
El Catrin reviews from OpenTable diners
400 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (263)hot spot (222)fit for foodies (216)good for groups (211)vibrant bar scene (132)neighborhood gem (123)special occasion (121)late-night find (80)romantic (65)great for lunch (62)great for brunch (36)scenic view (31)kid-friendly (30)notable wine list (13)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014An absolute must! If you are on a date, meeting friends, or taking clients for dinner, this is an absolute winner. Unique ambiance paired with a vibrant crowd and delicious food, this is a must-see in Toronto. Don't forego dessert, and whatever you do - have a Margherita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014This was our first visit to El Catrin and we will definitely be going back! The food was fantastic, the service was quick and attentive and the decor was stunning. It became a bit noisy once it filled up, but it was not a deterrent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mexican RestaurantTasnimDined on 10/25/2014The interior has great artwork on the walls. The outdoor patio looks comfortable as well. The service was mediocre. The restaurant didn't seem to be too busy yet the food came late. No complaints about the food, it was delicious. I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed!Foodie410Dined on 10/20/2014Amazing atmosphere. The design of the place is so intricate and capturing. I could have sat there all night just looking at every detail. The food was authentic and full of flavour. Awesome price point-for a margarita, app, taco's and shared desert...$44 plus a tip. Service was great. Server had lots of menu knowledge. Didn't feel rushed at all. I like the more laid back style of serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and it did not disappoint. We tried the 7-course sampler meal and it was terrific. Service was top notch as was the food. Restaurant was busy but neither service or quality of food suffered.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePollyoyDined on 10/18/2014Our server Kelly was fantastic! Friendly, knowledgable and attentive. Loved the interior! We went on the one night per month that the faces of the staff were painted (to the theme of day of the dead). Baja tacos were great! Guacamole was excellent as well as the pulled pork tacos! Would definitely like to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AtmosphereICE9Dined on 10/18/2014The price you pay for the food you get doesn't really add up. It's not as authentic, thus why I think it's a bit overpriced. The atmosphere & ambiance & the restaurant is beautifully decorated. Great to experience it. The service was fast, which is great & the noise level was on par, didn't have to struggle or speak loudly with the person on the other side of the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time @ El Cartin = AMAZINGyumyumDined on 10/17/2014It was our first time visiting El Catrin - and we were there to celebrate my 30th birthday. We had made a reservation and despite the lengthy line we were ushered in right away. The place is massive inside - and the décor is great. It's a fun place for a date night or a night out with friends. The food is excellent but so is the service. Our waiter made sure we were enjoying ourselves at all times - and even brought out birthday shots with premium tequila and authentic chasers. The service is quick and fun, the atmosphere is great and the food is fantastic. Will defiantly be back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Great food (esp the guac and the gobanator taco) and cool atmosphere! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good, but could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014We ordered 2 drinks,7 dishes, 2 desserts. All of our food arrived before our drinks. All of the food arrived at the same time and it was only a couple of minutes from when we ordered. We felt very rushed.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and Awesome food!DeprivedOfAHotMealDined on 10/13/2014I would highly encourage you to try the food here. Excellent ambiance and great service!Special Features:
- DineandDashDined on 10/12/2014Food and drinks were amazing! Hostess needs a shake though, as we asked for a highchair table, four of which were free right beside us, but she finally ushered us to the other side of the restaurant, ... where it was busy and crowded. We were given a table BETWEEN two couples, both of whom were sitting on the bench side together!!! So my daughter was squished between two couples who were cosy!!!! It was noisy/and/or too intimate, and impossible to talk... We got up and moved to the bar ....Special Features:
- Never DisappointswinendineDined on 10/12/2014This is my fourth visit to El Catrin and it was as excellent as always. Its a beautiful space with outstanding food and service. Took my dad this time, who is very critical, and he loved it as well. The only complaint that I had - and its minor - is that the music was too loud so had a hard time hearing any conversation. Aside from that, a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmounttyraDined on 10/11/2014The only criticism is the portions are very small for the priceSpecial Features:
- foodie28Dined on 10/11/2014Our experience here was awesome! We enjoyed our food and our server was really great! The Baja tacos were really good!! Would recommend it! We loved the dessert the most! The churros and the tree leches cake!!; MMMMM. Would def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seated by the service staff stationLantz5Dined on 10/11/2014Even with reservations seated by a very busy staff service station. Food was amazing. Next time will request a better table.Special Features:
- HendoDined on 10/10/2014Great place decor inside and out. Service was impeccable, waiter was very nice and good was ready extremely quick. The small servings of food allowed for multiple orders, great for trying a variety of foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt rushedGpandyaDined on 10/9/2014The place filled up by 7pm on a Thursday so reservations are highly recommended. The food is average at best and once half way into your meal. The server rushed us to a point where she grabbed the plates off our tables and we weren't finished. On to the next one I guess!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tacos in townrdhledaoDined on 10/7/2014Me and my husband celebrated our wedding anniversary last week El catrin staff made it unforgettable for both of us. Very friendly service good quality food and outstanding ambiance ..Thank you for your hard work..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place is Nice, Food OKredceaserDined on 10/6/2014Food was OK had a bunch of different items including margaritas, guacamole , two tacos, a burritos, and the ceviche sampler... Found spices on everything could be kicked up but my fave was the GOBERNADOR(shrimp/lobster) tacos.Special Features:
- Great placeDeliciousDined on 10/5/2014This place was amazing and the server was awesome. Food was absolutely delicious, will most definately come back again, with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceJPeooDined on 10/2/2014I asked for a reservation for my boyfriends birthday and they gave us free dessert with drinks.. I didn't even ask for them; it was a surprise (for both of us)! Thanks El Catrin amazing food, great atmosphere and fantastic service. Best Mexican restaurant in Toronto.
- Mix ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We had a really poor waiter. The staff tried to help him, but i believe he was just not good at his job. So i don't take it as a knock to El Catrin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland foodJenny123Dined on 9/28/2014Expected good things. Very mediocre food. Had burrito. Better burritos almost anywhere in the city. Margarita was okSpecial Features:
- Great ambiance inconsistent servicezeedeeDined on 9/27/2014This was my second visit to El Catrin. It has a great ambiance and the cocktails are amazing! The guacamole really is worth having. The other tapas/small plates were really small. I've had tapas at other restaurants but the serving size here was a little paltry. The music was amazing...wish they had a dance floor. But considering that they are not a night club we had to really raise our voices to have a conversation. The thing that surprised me was that one of the guests had their young daughter with them and he was standing at the bar with her. I didn't think that this was appropriate. The server was nice but you couldn't find her when you needed her. I noticed this the last time I went there as well. All in all, I would still go back.Special Features:
- MusicgirlsnightDined on 9/26/2014The vibe is awesome but the music is still too loud. We have to yell across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 time guest and not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Both times I went the servers gave main courses before drinks. Service was bad, they rush us out and don't provide good recommendations (or none at all). Food was bland and not authentic. Over priced and very small portions. Overall, dissatisfied twice.Special Features:
- Delish!JilliganChillingtonDined on 9/24/2014Had an amazing time here before we went to Cirque. The restaurant is beautiful. The drinks were delish. And the food was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!cabooDined on 9/23/2014Very energetic ambiance . We had a great waiter and the food was outstanding! 2nd time in 3 weeks and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodvaljackDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant was good, except we had a horrible server. The manager took off all of our food as a result. Overall we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Catrin!FridaDined on 9/22/2014Very nice environment! It's just like beign in México, the food was delicious and GREAT services!! 100% recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014The portions of the plates are meant for sharing. The house sangria is delicious. We had the Red Sangria and the alcohol was very generous. I recommend the seafood burritos, Ahi Tuna tostaditas, Guac and Chips The ambience is very lively and the decorSpecial Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was good and the atmosphere was nice, but the service seemed a little slow, our waiter was gone for very long periods of time. Other than that, the restaurant was really goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceFoodie1Dined on 9/21/2014Great place to dine in the Distillery District. Food is amazing. Tapas style but high quality and super tasty. Drinks are wonderful and eye pleasing too. Service is impeccable. Very attentive and knowledgeable staff and servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedElenaDined on 9/20/2014The ambiance was great but the service was extremely slow, the waitress forgot two of our dishes until we had to ask for them, the main dish was brought out before the appetizer, the portions were really small and very pricey and the Baja tacos that everyone raves about were really bland!!! not sure I will be coming back :(
- Before TheatreMauriceVIPDined on 9/20/2014El Catrin is an energetic and playful experience, a destination in itself. We went before theatre, but would have stayed if we could. The food is tapas style, and impressively done. The tasting menu is the best choice, as you are guaranteed to not leave hungry. If you order a la carte, it gets expensive and tiresome waiting for each order, but the tasting menu is a continuous flow of food, without any wait (more reasonable per dish, from an expense point of view). We were warned not to sit at the bar, as it is a high traffic area, and quite noisy. Forget this place if you want peace and quiet, as they do jack up the tunes. Only negative on service was the delay in drinks getting to the table, but there was no problem with getting our food.Special Features:
- Review from a real MexicanChamakkkoDined on 9/20/2014Sopa de Tortilla - Amazing - Same like in Mexico Torta el Santo - Really good - Bread could be better Tacos de Cochinita - Amazing Tacos Gobernador - Very goodSpecial Features:
- Love el Catrin!LauraVIPDined on 9/19/2014We love this place and love that it's open later than lots of other spots. It was jammed with people when we got there. The music was wonderful but WAY too loud! But it was Friday night.......Special Features:
- Birthday GatheringRanaweeDined on 9/19/2014Great atmosphere! Loved the decor ! Server was very helpful ! Food was ok! We were all waiting for the chicken tacos but as the server brought it to the table there was a distinct smell! We all had a taco to try and were very disappointed it just didn't taste like chicken and there was something in it that just didn't taste good! Food I thought was pricy for the small portions! A bit to much of Mexican fine dining or gourmet MexicanSpecial Features:
- Great Food, location and service.Wacho1Dined on 9/18/2014Highly recommended Place. Food is great and that have a very nice selection of cocktails and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.