18 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcatrin.ca/
- Phone: 4162032121x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday 11:30am to 5pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:30am to 5pm
Dinner: 7 days a week 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Olivier Le Calvez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact directly.
- Private Party Contact: Distillery Events (416)203-2363x
A word from El Catrin
Just opened July 11th in the Distillery District is El Catrin Destileria. With a stunning hand painted 20'x60' mural and one of the best patios and cocktail lists in the city, this Authentic Mexican eatery with a lively vibe and fun staff is sure to be a hit. Chef Le Calvez who moved here from Mexico City just a month ago is eager to show Torontonians the fresh flavours that represent his homelands famous cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
El Catrin - Best Restaurants in Distillery District ›
El Catrin reviews from OpenTable diners
415 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (280)hot spot (231)good for groups (219)fit for foodies (211)vibrant bar scene (147)special occasion (133)neighborhood gem (133)late-night find (82)romantic (69)great for lunch (69)great for brunch (43)scenic view (36)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (13)Show More
- Mexican food disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I can't find a good Mexican food joint in Toronto! El Catrin showed promise, the ambiance was nice, the location quite good, the wait staff were friendly, but the food missed the mark. It wasn't bad, but didn't hit the spot. The drinks were awesome, dessert was tasty. The hallmark of a good mexican restaurant for me are the nacho chips - El Catrin disappointed - fat, oily, and not very tasty. The appetizers are small... ...will I go again, probably not. P.S. I did try only the vegetarian fare, perhaps the meat fare is betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food was just soo good! We ordered the Mexican Independence Day tasting menu and everything was delicious. Our waiter said a new menu is being introduced later this month featuring the best received items from the tasting menu and I'll definitely be going back to have it all again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!'MargaritaQueenDined on 9/13/2014One of the best tapas Mexican places I've ever been to (I've been to many all around the world) awesome atmosphere, they made a simple dinner reservations into a full night out. Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday night outTrishDined on 9/12/2014Great... Just a little overpriced.. I think the dishes should be more around 10$ not 15$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of the nomswannabemexicanchickDined on 9/12/2014If you're looking for fantastic food and something a little extra special, El Catrin is the perfect place to go. The drinks are phenomenal, the guacamole is impossible to stop eating, and every last food item on the menu is undeniably delicious. You won't be let down. The ambiance is pretty much magical and you'll want to take at least one photo. Indoor or outdoor it doesn't matter. This place is beautiful, the servers are always kind, and the food is amazing. Need I brag any more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myopenkitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The baja taco was great - crisp and light batter outside, fish that's moist and clean-tasting inside. The salad and the compressed watermelon didn't disappoint as well. Loved the decor and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We had a really hard time talking over the noise. The place is cavernous and it would be so much better if they had some dividers or panels to baffle the sound. I really wouldn't go back for this very reason. The food was also overpriced for Mexican food.Special Features:
- AWESOME!cabooDined on 9/10/2014The food was absolutely amazing. Staff were very friendly. Cool/hip decor/ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outScubapatDined on 9/10/2014Good food. Good service. Easy entertainment in the distillery district. Compared to others in the area. One of the better onesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMelakaiDined on 9/7/2014Great, fun atmosphere. Amazing food (lamb and shrimp bucket were may favourites). Energetic. Prices are a little high for the plate sizes. Be prepared to,order a bunch of items and share. Mango margaritas are fantastic!!Special Features:
- Beautiful place! HORRIBLE service!CLCBDined on 9/6/2014The service was absolutely horrendous! A server approached our table after 20 minutes, told us she was at the wrong table and left! Returned a few minutes later to take our order. Forgot to put half of it in - it arrived seperately! Brought us flat pop. Spilled sauce all over the guy at the table beside us - NO apology. We gave him our napkin to clean his pants! Tried to clear our plates when we were literally in the middle of eating! They still had food on them!! Such a disaster! Too bad because the guac is amazing!! Service needs some serious work for such a busy place! Maybe the quality servers are only on the patio! This was also on a Saturday night!!!Special Features:
- Party in DistilleryErezDined on 9/6/2014We decided to give this one a try. And it was a blast. We got there early for our reservations but we started off with some drinks in the line. We got some amazing staff that took care of our drinks in a pinch. Then the food started to arrive. The Fish Taco is the top of the pick, everyone needs to try it. The shimp taco is also a winner. The 24 Hr beef rib was heaven and the list goes on. Oh and the "Bucket of Shrimp" is a Bucket.. The only thing I could say was the "HOT" salsa was not so hot.. they need a serious hot salsa for the serious heat freaks. The place is amazing inside and out. They did a great job converting the old Tank House to the new flare. Great JOB. Ill be back soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and ambiance!zeedeeDined on 9/6/2014This was my first (definitely not my last) time dining at El Catrin. The venue is beautiful and has an energetic vibe. The menu consists mainly of tapas/sharing plates. The food was very tasty but the portions were a little small (even by tapas standards) for the price. The menu offers a lot of variety, so looking forward to trying something different next time! Due to the fact that it was very busy, it took us a little time to get the attention of our first waiter. We also had three different servers during the course of the evening which was a little confusing, but not a deal breaker.Special Features:
- A nice night outlunaysolDined on 9/6/2014Good but expensive. We opted for the 9 course tasting menu and with drinks and tip our bill was around $200. The food is great but there are a lot of mom and pops Mexican places in Toronto that offer food just as good at a more affordable price. The inside is decorated spectacularly and this is definitely a must try -but in terms of quality of the food, I can't say I'll be back.Special Features:
- Amazing atmosphereFunnyboyDined on 9/3/2014Fantastic service really friendly staff! Christine was amazing... Love the atmosphere and the whole vibe of the place. Although everything I tried was good, the portions are very small, so you need to order many dishes to have a proper meal. Margaritas were out of this world. Highly recommend them....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!Torontosnowbird1VIPDined on 9/1/2014El Catrin has amazing food, nice ambiance and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey hip MexicanRicoAvocadoDined on 9/1/2014Mexican street food is not supposed to cost $50pp yet it does at El Catrin. It is very good, and a good spot, but there are other places in town that provide infinitely more bang for the buck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Service slow to start but very good once started. Food was very good by any standards and excellent by the standards of Mexican restaurants in Canada - but pricey. Excellent list of different Tequilas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rodhDined on 8/30/2014Great service, great staff! Our server was amazing! Thanks to host staff for noticing I mentioned it was my wife's birthday. Loved the experience and the great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Tasting menu was a good call. Creative dishes. Service was prompt. Cool atmosphere. Very pleased with evening.Special Features:
- Amazing AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Great restaurant. Ambiance was pretty impressive. Artwork on wall was hand painted with light effects - very unique for Toronto. Worth checking out. Food was good, but the shared table portions add up! Our waitress was very kind, she did something special for the birthday girl at our table. Would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer DinnerloveeatingoutDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed trying El Catrin. Service was excellent! Margarita's spot on! Food was good but a wee bit on the bland side. Very vibrant atmosphere and great spot for a just a few or group of friends to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu is well worth it!crystal84Dined on 8/29/2014Came here with my boyfriend for an anniversary dinner. Knowledgable server recommended the tasting menu. Best idea since this is a tapas style menu. Small portions to share and because everything sounds amazing on the menu the tasting menu allows to try a little bit of everything. Excellent drinks and incredible atmosphere. I would come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Restaurant in the GTAlffloresDined on 8/28/2014It is such a pleasure to find an authentic first class Mexican restaurant outside of Mexico and not the usual tex-mex food, or the little taco restaurant. Catrin is a first class Mexican cousine like the best in Mexico citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Incredible Experienceluv2dineDined on 8/26/2014Our experience at El Catrin could not have been better. The food was outstanding. I have traveled extensively through Mexico and this is the first authentic Mexican food i have found north of the Mexican border. The menu offers a great variety of interesting items. The margaritas are my favourite in the city. The service is friendly and professional. The restaurant is spectacular and the patio is the best in Toronto. El Catrin is the one restaurant i recommend to any friends looking for a fun night out, or to visitors who want to experience the best of Toronto.Special Features:
- A place worth goingT0f00dxpl0rerDined on 8/24/2014I was super excited to dine at el catrin after walking by the patio one day while I was in the distillery district. Reservations needed to be made at least a week in advance just for my bf and I so we were expecting this place to be spectacular. The atmosphere was awesome however the food didn't live up to our expectations. The portions were small which is okay if the flavours were somewhat unique. Maybe it was our batch but there was nothing "special" about the food for the amount you pay. However, I would still recommend el catrin as a place to go. The place is beautiful and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I've been to fast food chains with more taste. Sliced up steak was awful. Food was not for sharing portions, it was more for only one person. Waiter was not that friendly, kept forgetting to bring our stuff. I shouldn't have tipped him at all. Decor was nice but I'll never go there again.Special Features:
- Service goodHighhopesDined on 8/24/2014Had a great waitress, but that didn't make up for the fact that every dish of the tasting menu was under seasoned. The best part was the dessert, taste-wise.Special Features:
- Great for drinksdskyrhfiryDined on 8/23/2014Very good gaucomole - did not try anything else. Only had margaritas and snacks but enjoyed both very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014great food, great service. Recommend the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Perfect MediocrityMAJORSPLIFFDined on 8/22/2014Notwithstanding the good location (Distiller district) & the outdoor patio (valid only for dry, warm weather days), this is a resto that's simply not worth the bother given the plethora of other Mexican choices across town. Despite the nice-looking presentation of food, it seems that the chef hasn't tried his own creations --- most of which lack any distinguishing flavors & at times, simply haven't been thought through for the eater (e.g. Why not de-case the chorizo so that it doesn't dangle from your mouth after you've bitten into one bite?!)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Great spot, excellent investment in the area. Only a few canapes ordered this time; very tasty food; portions embarrassingly small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food | Poor ServiceSerenaSDined on 8/21/2014The server started out ok... but did a poor job of explaining the tasting menu and how the vegetarian substitutions would work for my friend. The tasting menu doesn't really make sense for a large group financially as each person could choose a course vs. a pre-arranged menu that literally doubles or triples the cost without the food. My g/f didn't get any choice with her selections and said it tasted like "cardboard wrapped in cardboard". She told the server to cancel the tasting menu, which we were told we wouldn't be charged for and ordered a small bowl of corn. We arrived at 7:30 and by 10-ish we ready to go but the server took close to an hour to get us the bill. We didn't leave until 11:30pm. It was beautiful but the service was awfulSpecial Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 8/21/2014My first time to El Catrine. Prompt, obliging and better than average service. Waiter was helpful with suggestions. Portions were small, so you need to order 3+/person. My favorite was El Gobernator- The most tasty and the heartiest of the tacos we had. (Found the beef taco on the dry side) The energy- on the trendy side, with mostly 20-30yr+ old diners. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!KitKatDined on 8/20/2014Server was very knowledgeable on Tequila options and enthusiastic about providing suggestions for both experienced and inexperienced diners. Highly recommend the tasting menu (7 courses was lots!) if you are there for dinner. Also try the Tequila flights to sample a few new brands. The staff bringing out each course lacked the ability to properly explain what we were getting and several times we were given the food belonging to the table next to us. Our server always came by to re-explain our dishes and sort out what food was ours vs. what had to go elsewhere. Due to the mistakes we were given an extra dish but the server handled it without question or issue to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baja Tacos my favouritetastebudsDined on 8/19/2014Took business colleagues from out-of-country to El Catrin's. Food was great but atmosphere made the meal an unique experience. We elected to try the 9 course tasting menu because we couldn't decide on what to eat. 7-course tasting meal would have been sufficient. Lots of food and all yummy but some dishes needed more flavor. Baja fish tacos were my favourite. The only uniqueness to this tasting menu is that food comes in one or two plates for the table to divide their own portions, so you need to be open to sharing tastebuds with everyone. I'm more use to each person served their own portions. We had a fabulous time and will recommend as a destination to show off to out-of-towners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, average foodHkm74Dined on 8/18/2014The hostess was great and seated us outside even though they don't ordinarily w reservations. Our server/bar tender was good, ambience was amazing for a summer evening but the food fell short. We were disappointed but would go back for drinks due to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican FoodfoodiejunkieDined on 8/17/2014The food was probably the best Mexican food I've ever had and the service was amazing. The server came over many many times to make sure we were okay with each course (we had the 7 course tasting menu). Every course tasted absolutely delicious! I would definitely be back to El Catrin soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayfoodie123VIPDined on 8/17/2014If you are around Distillery, it's worth a try. But nothing too special, it is a little pricey, the quality and portion is just okay. For the same price range you have better choices like Grand Electric.Special Features:
- Great Place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were visiting the area from out of town and came across this place. What a find! We happened to go on Mayahuel night, all the staff had their faces painted like Dia De Los Muertos and there was a DJ. It was a lot of fun and had great ambiance. Would definitely go there again!! Make sure to make a reservation early, it books up really fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.