18 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcatrin.ca/
- Phone: 4162032121x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday 11:30am to 5pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:30am to 5pm
Dinner: 7 days a week 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Olivier Le Calvez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact directly.
- Private Party Contact: Distillery Events (416)203-2363x
A word from El Catrin
Just opened July 11th in the Distillery District is El Catrin Destileria. With a stunning hand painted 20'x60' mural and one of the best patios and cocktail lists in the city, this Authentic Mexican eatery with a lively vibe and fun staff is sure to be a hit. Chef Le Calvez who moved here from Mexico City just a month ago is eager to show Torontonians the fresh flavours that represent his homelands famous cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
El Catrin - Best Restaurants in Distillery District ›
El Catrin reviews from OpenTable diners
422 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (277)hot spot (226)good for groups (215)fit for foodies (206)vibrant bar scene (142)special occasion (130)neighborhood gem (124)late-night find (78)great for lunch (66)romantic (65)great for brunch (42)scenic view (35)kid-friendly (30)notable wine list (11)Show More
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Service slow to start but very good once started. Food was very good by any standards and excellent by the standards of Mexican restaurants in Canada - but pricey. Excellent list of different Tequilas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great service, great staff! Our server was amazing! Thanks to host staff for noticing I mentioned it was my wife's birthday. Loved the experience and the great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Tasting menu was a good call. Creative dishes. Service was prompt. Cool atmosphere. Very pleased with evening.Special Features:
- Amazing AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Great restaurant. Ambiance was pretty impressive. Artwork on wall was hand painted with light effects - very unique for Toronto. Worth checking out. Food was good, but the shared table portions add up! Our waitress was very kind, she did something special for the birthday girl at our table. Would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed trying El Catrin. Service was excellent! Margarita's spot on! Food was good but a wee bit on the bland side. Very vibrant atmosphere and great spot for a just a few or group of friends to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu is well worth it!crystal84Dined on 8/29/2014Came here with my boyfriend for an anniversary dinner. Knowledgable server recommended the tasting menu. Best idea since this is a tapas style menu. Small portions to share and because everything sounds amazing on the menu the tasting menu allows to try a little bit of everything. Excellent drinks and incredible atmosphere. I would come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Restaurant in the GTAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014It is such a pleasure to find an authentic first class Mexican restaurant outside of Mexico and not the usual tex-mex food, or the little taco restaurant. Catrin is a first class Mexican cousine like the best in Mexico citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Incredible Experienceluv2dineDined on 8/26/2014Our experience at El Catrin could not have been better. The food was outstanding. I have traveled extensively through Mexico and this is the first authentic Mexican food i have found north of the Mexican border. The menu offers a great variety of interesting items. The margaritas are my favourite in the city. The service is friendly and professional. The restaurant is spectacular and the patio is the best in Toronto. El Catrin is the one restaurant i recommend to any friends looking for a fun night out, or to visitors who want to experience the best of Toronto.Special Features:
- A place worth goingT0f00dxpl0rerDined on 8/24/2014I was super excited to dine at el catrin after walking by the patio one day while I was in the distillery district. Reservations needed to be made at least a week in advance just for my bf and I so we were expecting this place to be spectacular. The atmosphere was awesome however the food didn't live up to our expectations. The portions were small which is okay if the flavours were somewhat unique. Maybe it was our batch but there was nothing "special" about the food for the amount you pay. However, I would still recommend el catrin as a place to go. The place is beautiful and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I've been to fast food chains with more taste. Sliced up steak was awful. Food was not for sharing portions, it was more for only one person. Waiter was not that friendly, kept forgetting to bring our stuff. I shouldn't have tipped him at all. Decor was nice but I'll never go there again.Special Features:
- Service goodHighhopesDined on 8/24/2014Had a great waitress, but that didn't make up for the fact that every dish of the tasting menu was under seasoned. The best part was the dessert, taste-wise.Special Features:
- Great for drinksdskyrhfiryDined on 8/23/2014Very good gaucomole - did not try anything else. Only had margaritas and snacks but enjoyed both very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014great food, great service. Recommend the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Perfect MediocrityMAJORSPLIFFDined on 8/22/2014Notwithstanding the good location (Distiller district) & the outdoor patio (valid only for dry, warm weather days), this is a resto that's simply not worth the bother given the plethora of other Mexican choices across town. Despite the nice-looking presentation of food, it seems that the chef hasn't tried his own creations --- most of which lack any distinguishing flavors & at times, simply haven't been thought through for the eater (e.g. Why not de-case the chorizo so that it doesn't dangle from your mouth after you've bitten into one bite?!)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Great spot, excellent investment in the area. Only a few canapes ordered this time; very tasty food; portions embarrassingly small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food | Poor ServiceSerenaSDined on 8/21/2014The server started out ok... but did a poor job of explaining the tasting menu and how the vegetarian substitutions would work for my friend. The tasting menu doesn't really make sense for a large group financially as each person could choose a course vs. a pre-arranged menu that literally doubles or triples the cost without the food. My g/f didn't get any choice with her selections and said it tasted like "cardboard wrapped in cardboard". She told the server to cancel the tasting menu, which we were told we wouldn't be charged for and ordered a small bowl of corn. We arrived at 7:30 and by 10-ish we ready to go but the server took close to an hour to get us the bill. We didn't leave until 11:30pm. It was beautiful but the service was awfulSpecial Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 8/21/2014My first time to El Catrine. Prompt, obliging and better than average service. Waiter was helpful with suggestions. Portions were small, so you need to order 3+/person. My favorite was El Gobernator- The most tasty and the heartiest of the tacos we had. (Found the beef taco on the dry side) The energy- on the trendy side, with mostly 20-30yr+ old diners. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!KitKatDined on 8/20/2014Server was very knowledgeable on Tequila options and enthusiastic about providing suggestions for both experienced and inexperienced diners. Highly recommend the tasting menu (7 courses was lots!) if you are there for dinner. Also try the Tequila flights to sample a few new brands. The staff bringing out each course lacked the ability to properly explain what we were getting and several times we were given the food belonging to the table next to us. Our server always came by to re-explain our dishes and sort out what food was ours vs. what had to go elsewhere. Due to the mistakes we were given an extra dish but the server handled it without question or issue to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baja Tacos my favouritetastebudsDined on 8/19/2014Took business colleagues from out-of-country to El Catrin's. Food was great but atmosphere made the meal an unique experience. We elected to try the 9 course tasting menu because we couldn't decide on what to eat. 7-course tasting meal would have been sufficient. Lots of food and all yummy but some dishes needed more flavor. Baja fish tacos were my favourite. The only uniqueness to this tasting menu is that food comes in one or two plates for the table to divide their own portions, so you need to be open to sharing tastebuds with everyone. I'm more use to each person served their own portions. We had a fabulous time and will recommend as a destination to show off to out-of-towners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, average foodHkm74Dined on 8/18/2014The hostess was great and seated us outside even though they don't ordinarily w reservations. Our server/bar tender was good, ambience was amazing for a summer evening but the food fell short. We were disappointed but would go back for drinks due to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican FoodfoodiejunkieDined on 8/17/2014The food was probably the best Mexican food I've ever had and the service was amazing. The server came over many many times to make sure we were okay with each course (we had the 7 course tasting menu). Every course tasted absolutely delicious! I would definitely be back to El Catrin soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayfoodie123VIPDined on 8/17/2014If you are around Distillery, it's worth a try. But nothing too special, it is a little pricey, the quality and portion is just okay. For the same price range you have better choices like Grand Electric.Special Features:
- Great Place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were visiting the area from out of town and came across this place. What a find! We happened to go on Mayahuel night, all the staff had their faces painted like Dia De Los Muertos and there was a DJ. It was a lot of fun and had great ambiance. Would definitely go there again!! Make sure to make a reservation early, it books up really fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great at the DistilleryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Amazing Mexican food that delights the tastebuds! Fun and vibrant atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SB13Dined on 8/12/2014Love this restaurant...the food, the decor, the service and the drinks! The guacomole is delicious...ask for it to be spicy for an added kick. Wouldn't hesitate to go back and recommend to others. Definitely make a reservation...it's packed...and if you want to sit on the patio, be prepared to wait in line.Special Features:
- And then there was El Catrin...SomeGuyDined on 8/12/2014Many restaurants set the bar too high for themselves only to fall short of expectations whether it be due to food, service, or atmosphere. El Catrin set the bar pretty high and managed (beautifully, I might add) to create a whole other dining experience. Everything was delicious. When faced with a menu with so many options to choose from, you might be inclined to use the time-tested "eeny meeny miny moe" strategy… El Catrin is the only restaurant where every single random selection from the dinner menu became "my new favourite dish". I'm already planning my next visit to this restaurant, so much more to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodyDined on 8/11/2014Excellent service interesting fare Would recommend to friends More fish dishes if possible ? Ie other than shrimp or scallopsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BookingpetinaVIPDined on 8/10/2014We made reservation with open table but it did not state anywhere that the booking is for INSIDE only, NOT for PATIO. That was absolutly disappointing for a summer night out and you have to sit inside, and be exposed to the cold AC.Special Features:
- Great tacos and tequila flightsFoodiemonDined on 8/10/2014If you want to eat right away, ask to sit inside. The patio can be an hour wait in the summer. While the apps were somewhat bland, the tapas were great as were the tacos. The tequila flights are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Amazing venue and great food! The wait time is minimal if a reservation is made. Definitely will recommend friends and family to try!Special Features:
- Disappointing second showingDiner2013VIPDined on 8/9/2014Had been to the restaurant few months ago, great and new. Seems like the crowds are too much for the staff, staff messed up the food order several times, servcies was overall disappointing. Not sure I will run back.Special Features:
- SpectacularKess2000VIPDined on 8/9/2014El Catrin is a fantastic Mexican find. Located in the Distillery District, the food is as exhilarating as the decor. There is a lot to take in, especially the mural (you will know what I'm talking about when you walk in the door). The wait staff was very helpful and guided our food and drink choices. We started with guacamole and chips, and a pitcher of red sangria. Both very tasty. Dishes are tapas style so we tried a lot of different foods. Tuna, braised beef short ribs, shrimp and lobster...it was all spectacular. We will definitely be back and referring it to our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- toronto1234Dined on 8/7/2014I had the best date night here. I was celebrating my 6 month anniversary with my boyfriend. The patio was lovely; such a great atmosphere. Unfortunately reservations can't be made for the patio. We ended up waiting 40 minutes, but it was well worth the wait. I had two delicious margaritas in line. They accommodated my dislike for cilantro. The service was awesome. I would recommend the atun, "vuelve a la vida el catrin" and costilla corta. I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good funJudithanneDined on 8/7/2014The place is great the food is okay good enough. Fun drinks. Really great service. And reasonably priced considering you can share.Special Features:
- gopd ambiance, mediocre foodfoodieDined on 8/6/2014Ambiance of the restaurant is wonderful and the drinks are great too. The food is mediocre. Regular taco plates have three tacos and they offer to make it 4 tacos if two people want to share. However you can tnix and match tacos, even though they are the same cost.Special Features:
- Dissapointing experienceEatsWellDined on 8/4/2014I made a reservation for holiday Monday. The patio was filled to capacity and as I already knew that they don't take reservations for the patio was happy to sit inside. Unfortunately they were very short staffed and we waited 10 minutes to be seated,(it was virtually empty inside) another 15 or so for our order to be taken and 20 minutes for our drinks. Our food arrived first and my fish tacos were cold inside and the batter was soggy. We were not offered an adjustment to our bill. As we paid full price for a disappointing meal I won’t return.Special Features:
- Terrible servicehappycoupleDined on 8/4/2014Don't come here, ever! Worst service got my order twice and still charged me for it. Never brought out drinks I ordered. Also the waitress serving the table next to us flung the dirty food in my leg , didn't even get me a napkin when I pointed it out. Won't be coming back here or recommending the place definitely not worth the hype
- OktacosDined on 8/2/2014The place is nice inside. There is a lot to choose from the menu but the portions were super small compared to the other Mexican places in Toronto. The tacos were a good size but would of liked to choose 3 different ones for $15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationNickyDined on 8/2/2014The service and food were amazing. I didn't have a chance to speak to the waiter about bringing a dessert for the birthday celebrant but since I made a note on my reservation, the ladies in the front were able to make the arrangements. So grateful for their help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightHjleonDined on 8/1/2014We try el catrin for our date night, and I would not recommend it as a first date spot since the music is very loud and it might be hard to listen. The music was amazing, the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.