18 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcatrin.ca/
- Phone: 4162032121x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday 11:30am to 5pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:30am to 5pm
Dinner: 7 days a week 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Olivier Le Calvez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact directly.
- Private Party Contact: Distillery Events (416)203-2363x
A word from El Catrin
Just opened July 11th in the Distillery District is El Catrin Destileria. With a stunning hand painted 20'x60' mural and one of the best patios and cocktail lists in the city, this Authentic Mexican eatery with a lively vibe and fun staff is sure to be a hit. Chef Le Calvez who moved here from Mexico City just a month ago is eager to show Torontonians the fresh flavours that represent his homelands famous cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
El Catrin - Best Restaurants in Distillery District ›
El Catrin reviews from OpenTable diners
415 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (275)hot spot (228)good for groups (222)fit for foodies (211)vibrant bar scene (139)special occasion (130)neighborhood gem (121)late-night find (83)romantic (64)great for lunch (63)great for brunch (39)scenic view (35)kid-friendly (28)notable wine list (13)Show More
- Mix ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We had a really poor waiter. The staff tried to help him, but i believe he was just not good at his job. So i don't take it as a knock to El Catrin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Expected good things. Very mediocre food. Had burrito. Better burritos almost anywhere in the city. Margarita was okSpecial Features:
- Great ambiance inconsistent servicezeedeeDined on 9/27/2014This was my second visit to El Catrin. It has a great ambiance and the cocktails are amazing! The guacamole really is worth having. The other tapas/small plates were really small. I've had tapas at other restaurants but the serving size here was a little paltry. The music was amazing...wish they had a dance floor. But considering that they are not a night club we had to really raise our voices to have a conversation. The thing that surprised me was that one of the guests had their young daughter with them and he was standing at the bar with her. I didn't think that this was appropriate. The server was nice but you couldn't find her when you needed her. I noticed this the last time I went there as well. All in all, I would still go back.Special Features:
- 2 time guest and not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Both times I went the servers gave main courses before drinks. Service was bad, they rush us out and don't provide good recommendations (or none at all). Food was bland and not authentic. Over priced and very small portions. Overall, dissatisfied twice.Special Features:
- Delish!JilliganChillingtonDined on 9/24/2014Had an amazing time here before we went to Cirque. The restaurant is beautiful. The drinks were delish. And the food was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!cabooDined on 9/23/2014Very energetic ambiance . We had a great waiter and the food was outstanding! 2nd time in 3 weeks and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodvaljackDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant was good, except we had a horrible server. The manager took off all of our food as a result. Overall we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Catrin!FridaDined on 9/22/2014Very nice environment! It's just like beign in México, the food was delicious and GREAT services!! 100% recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014The portions of the plates are meant for sharing. The house sangria is delicious. We had the Red Sangria and the alcohol was very generous. I recommend the seafood burritos, Ahi Tuna tostaditas, Guac and Chips The ambience is very lively and the decorSpecial Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was good and the atmosphere was nice, but the service seemed a little slow, our waiter was gone for very long periods of time. Other than that, the restaurant was really goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceFoodie1Dined on 9/21/2014Great place to dine in the Distillery District. Food is amazing. Tapas style but high quality and super tasty. Drinks are wonderful and eye pleasing too. Service is impeccable. Very attentive and knowledgeable staff and servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedElenaDined on 9/20/2014The ambiance was great but the service was extremely slow, the waitress forgot two of our dishes until we had to ask for them, the main dish was brought out before the appetizer, the portions were really small and very pricey and the Baja tacos that everyone raves about were really bland!!! not sure I will be coming back :(
- Before TheatreMauriceVIPDined on 9/20/2014El Catrin is an energetic and playful experience, a destination in itself. We went before theatre, but would have stayed if we could. The food is tapas style, and impressively done. The tasting menu is the best choice, as you are guaranteed to not leave hungry. If you order a la carte, it gets expensive and tiresome waiting for each order, but the tasting menu is a continuous flow of food, without any wait (more reasonable per dish, from an expense point of view). We were warned not to sit at the bar, as it is a high traffic area, and quite noisy. Forget this place if you want peace and quiet, as they do jack up the tunes. Only negative on service was the delay in drinks getting to the table, but there was no problem with getting our food.Special Features:
- Review from a real MexicanChamakkkoDined on 9/20/2014Sopa de Tortilla - Amazing - Same like in Mexico Torta el Santo - Really good - Bread could be better Tacos de Cochinita - Amazing Tacos Gobernador - Very goodSpecial Features:
- Love el Catrin!LauraVIPDined on 9/19/2014We love this place and love that it's open later than lots of other spots. It was jammed with people when we got there. The music was wonderful but WAY too loud! But it was Friday night.......Special Features:
- Birthday GatheringRanaweeDined on 9/19/2014Great atmosphere! Loved the decor ! Server was very helpful ! Food was ok! We were all waiting for the chicken tacos but as the server brought it to the table there was a distinct smell! We all had a taco to try and were very disappointed it just didn't taste like chicken and there was something in it that just didn't taste good! Food I thought was pricy for the small portions! A bit to much of Mexican fine dining or gourmet MexicanSpecial Features:
- Great Food, location and service.Wacho1Dined on 9/18/2014Highly recommended Place. Food is great and that have a very nice selection of cocktails and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service slightly diasappointing : (OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We were really looking forward to our meal at El Catrin..... The ambience in the patio area was great - Thursday night but still almost full. We had ordered the grilled shrimp along with a few other items. The 'grilled shrimp' dish was brought out to us....without any grilled shrimp in it. When we informed the waiter about this mistake, there was no offer of an apology. Whilst he did bring out the correct dish a few minutes later, there was still no acknowledgement that a mistake had been made. This was disappointing. The food is good but the portions are far too small.Special Features:
- Mexican food disappointmentbuscocomidaMexicoDined on 9/16/2014I can't find a good Mexican food joint in Toronto! El Catrin showed promise, the ambiance was nice, the location quite good, the wait staff were friendly, but the food missed the mark. It wasn't bad, but didn't hit the spot. The drinks were awesome, dessert was tasty. The hallmark of a good mexican restaurant for me are the nacho chips - El Catrin disappointed - fat, oily, and not very tasty. The appetizers are small... ...will I go again, probably not. P.S. I did try only the vegetarian fare, perhaps the meat fare is betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!leilaDined on 9/15/2014The food was just soo good! We ordered the Mexican Independence Day tasting menu and everything was delicious. Our waiter said a new menu is being introduced later this month featuring the best received items from the tasting menu and I'll definitely be going back to have it all again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!'MargaritaQueenDined on 9/13/2014One of the best tapas Mexican places I've ever been to (I've been to many all around the world) awesome atmosphere, they made a simple dinner reservations into a full night out. Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday night outTrishDined on 9/12/2014Great... Just a little overpriced.. I think the dishes should be more around 10$ not 15$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of the nomswannabemexicanchickDined on 9/12/2014If you're looking for fantastic food and something a little extra special, El Catrin is the perfect place to go. The drinks are phenomenal, the guacamole is impossible to stop eating, and every last food item on the menu is undeniably delicious. You won't be let down. The ambiance is pretty much magical and you'll want to take at least one photo. Indoor or outdoor it doesn't matter. This place is beautiful, the servers are always kind, and the food is amazing. Need I brag any more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myopenkitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The baja taco was great - crisp and light batter outside, fish that's moist and clean-tasting inside. The salad and the compressed watermelon didn't disappoint as well. Loved the decor and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We had a really hard time talking over the noise. The place is cavernous and it would be so much better if they had some dividers or panels to baffle the sound. I really wouldn't go back for this very reason. The food was also overpriced for Mexican food.Special Features:
- AWESOME!cabooDined on 9/10/2014The food was absolutely amazing. Staff were very friendly. Cool/hip decor/ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outScubapatDined on 9/10/2014Good food. Good service. Easy entertainment in the distillery district. Compared to others in the area. One of the better onesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMelakaiDined on 9/7/2014Great, fun atmosphere. Amazing food (lamb and shrimp bucket were may favourites). Energetic. Prices are a little high for the plate sizes. Be prepared to,order a bunch of items and share. Mango margaritas are fantastic!!Special Features:
- Beautiful place! HORRIBLE service!CLCBDined on 9/6/2014The service was absolutely horrendous! A server approached our table after 20 minutes, told us she was at the wrong table and left! Returned a few minutes later to take our order. Forgot to put half of it in - it arrived seperately! Brought us flat pop. Spilled sauce all over the guy at the table beside us - NO apology. We gave him our napkin to clean his pants! Tried to clear our plates when we were literally in the middle of eating! They still had food on them!! Such a disaster! Too bad because the guac is amazing!! Service needs some serious work for such a busy place! Maybe the quality servers are only on the patio! This was also on a Saturday night!!!Special Features:
- Party in DistilleryErezDined on 9/6/2014We decided to give this one a try. And it was a blast. We got there early for our reservations but we started off with some drinks in the line. We got some amazing staff that took care of our drinks in a pinch. Then the food started to arrive. The Fish Taco is the top of the pick, everyone needs to try it. The shimp taco is also a winner. The 24 Hr beef rib was heaven and the list goes on. Oh and the "Bucket of Shrimp" is a Bucket.. The only thing I could say was the "HOT" salsa was not so hot.. they need a serious hot salsa for the serious heat freaks. The place is amazing inside and out. They did a great job converting the old Tank House to the new flare. Great JOB. Ill be back soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and ambiance!zeedeeDined on 9/6/2014This was my first (definitely not my last) time dining at El Catrin. The venue is beautiful and has an energetic vibe. The menu consists mainly of tapas/sharing plates. The food was very tasty but the portions were a little small (even by tapas standards) for the price. The menu offers a lot of variety, so looking forward to trying something different next time! Due to the fact that it was very busy, it took us a little time to get the attention of our first waiter. We also had three different servers during the course of the evening which was a little confusing, but not a deal breaker.Special Features:
- A nice night outlunaysolDined on 9/6/2014Good but expensive. We opted for the 9 course tasting menu and with drinks and tip our bill was around $200. The food is great but there are a lot of mom and pops Mexican places in Toronto that offer food just as good at a more affordable price. The inside is decorated spectacularly and this is definitely a must try -but in terms of quality of the food, I can't say I'll be back.Special Features:
- Amazing atmosphereFunnyboyDined on 9/3/2014Fantastic service really friendly staff! Christine was amazing... Love the atmosphere and the whole vibe of the place. Although everything I tried was good, the portions are very small, so you need to order many dishes to have a proper meal. Margaritas were out of this world. Highly recommend them....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!Torontosnowbird1VIPDined on 9/1/2014El Catrin has amazing food, nice ambiance and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey hip MexicanRicoAvocadoDined on 9/1/2014Mexican street food is not supposed to cost $50pp yet it does at El Catrin. It is very good, and a good spot, but there are other places in town that provide infinitely more bang for the buck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Service slow to start but very good once started. Food was very good by any standards and excellent by the standards of Mexican restaurants in Canada - but pricey. Excellent list of different Tequilas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rodhDined on 8/30/2014Great service, great staff! Our server was amazing! Thanks to host staff for noticing I mentioned it was my wife's birthday. Loved the experience and the great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Tasting menu was a good call. Creative dishes. Service was prompt. Cool atmosphere. Very pleased with evening.Special Features:
- Amazing AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Great restaurant. Ambiance was pretty impressive. Artwork on wall was hand painted with light effects - very unique for Toronto. Worth checking out. Food was good, but the shared table portions add up! Our waitress was very kind, she did something special for the birthday girl at our table. Would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer DinnerloveeatingoutDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed trying El Catrin. Service was excellent! Margarita's spot on! Food was good but a wee bit on the bland side. Very vibrant atmosphere and great spot for a just a few or group of friends to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.