18 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcatrin.ca/
- Phone: (416) 203-2121
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday 11:30am to 5pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:30am to 5pm
Dinner: 7 days a week 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Olivier Le Calvez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact directly.
- Private Party Contact: Distillery Events (416)203-2363x
A word from El Catrin
Just opened July 11th in the Distillery District is El Catrin Destileria. With a stunning hand painted 20'x60' mural and one of the best patios and cocktail lists in the city, this Authentic Mexican eatery with a lively vibe and fun staff is sure to be a hit. Chef Le Calvez who moved here from Mexico City just a month ago is eager to show Torontonians the fresh flavours that represent his homelands famous cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
El Catrin - Best Restaurants in Distillery District ›
El Catrin reviews from OpenTable diners
364 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (231)fit for foodies (212)hot spot (202)good for groups (198)neighborhood gem (128)vibrant bar scene (127)special occasion (111)great for lunch (69)late-night find (65)romantic (62)great for brunch (38)kid-friendly (32)scenic view (27)notable wine list (10)Show More
- What A Gem!AlanDined on 11/20/2014I found El Catrin through a suggestion on Open Table and what a find. The atmosphere is vibrant. The decor of the restaurant is great and the food amazing. El Catrin is definitely going on my places to eat list! Tanks Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014This was my second visit to El Catrin. Both times we've ordered the 7-course tasting menu and it is a great way to try a variety of different menu items that we wouldn't normally know to order. My most recent visit was to celebrate my finance's birthday and the staff made him feel very special - they brought him some complimentary tequila and wrote happy birthday on the dessert plate. I am not a fan of cilantro and they were very accommodating. I can't wait to go back again soon!Special Features:
- Amazing decor and trendy ambiancefelinecDined on 11/16/2014Was overall immediately blown away by how beautiful and wild the decor was, the details are what really grab you, from the intricate neon-hued designs on the back wall to the backdrop of the bar. My friend and I shared the ahi tuna ceviche, which was delicious. We both ordered brunch (I did not enjoy mine as much as the ceviche). I would go back simply because I would like to try ordering a variety of tastings off the menu (as is recommended when visiting this restaurant). We also had a great server, and I wish I had remembered his name, because he was very helpful, competent and courteous, and came across as very sincere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El CatrinLisakoDined on 11/15/2014First time at El Catrin for dinner (had previously been for brunch). Food was great, but portions were small. Overall, we were very satisfied. Such a fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Date FriendlyAcendeDined on 11/14/2014Atmosphere was lively, service was amazing, and the food was fun and delicious. Great selection of drinks, and a perfect place to impress a lady without breaking the bank- definite repeat visits are in order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!DelishDined on 11/14/2014We had a girls night at El Catrin, it was amazing. The food, atmosphere, music and drinks were amazing. The guacamole was delicious! Our waiter Ricardo was so great, he was helpful and very kind. He made our visit fun and comfortable. We will absolutely be back. Thank you for such a great place & great job to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itDAVSCOTTDined on 11/12/2014Went with a friend and the food was awesome and the server we had (Stephanie ) was amazing..Would definitely go back..It was a bit pricey or at least the pitchers of margaritas were anyway ..Although they were very good as well...LOVED IT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination diningHeisstDined on 11/9/2014El Catrin is a destination dining experience. It's located in the Distillery District, which is interesting for shopping and sightseeing. It's also notable for its interior design: large, cavernous space; magic-realistic decor; etc.. Great spot for an office or birthday party. The brunch menu is small and pretty uninspired. The food was good, but definitely not worthy of note. The portions were surprisingly small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummySmithionDined on 11/9/2014What more can I say... I'm all about the food - how it tastes, how it is presented and how it is priced... if you like Mexican inspiration and can handle a little spice... you'll enjoy El Catrin!Special Features:
- Great ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Steph was our server and she was very personable and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good...visit Nov 8, 2015boowhoDined on 11/8/2014Impressive interior,vibrant scene!Our server was personable and we were greeted promptly with waters and a drink menu.Guac prepared tableside with a spicy kick!I wish the salsa would have come out with the guac, but it came later-no big deal.We ordered three sets of tacos to share-Baja, Chicken, and Pulled Pork-all fantastic!We were stuffed and had leftovers to take home.Twice the food runners tried to deliver items that were not ours, so not sure if there was a mixup on table numbers - the guy even asked us if we were sure we did not order the shrimp tacos..yes, we are sure, promise. Anyway, he took them back and the server apologized - again, no sweat.Margaritas were great - pitcher is not cheap at $45.Only downfall..No birthday treat :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchremaxkenDined on 11/8/2014Had a delicious brunch/lunch here on Saturday. I had the pulled pork nachos. The flavours were fantastic, and I absolutely loved them!! My wife had the fish tacos and commented how tasty they were. We started our meal with an order of the guacamole. THIS IS A MUST!! It was about the tastiest guac I've ever eaten. Fresh and so flavourful. Great ambiance and super service too.Special Features:
- Distillery gemSLeeeDined on 11/7/2014I ordered the tasting menu for my first time and was happy to have someone choose the food for me - everything was so good! The restaurant was lively and loud (late Friday night) but our server Wyatt was attentive and thorough despite being obviously busy. I will be back during summer for patio weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it way okay1highDined on 11/5/2014The food was mediocre, I've defiantly had better at other Toronto latino venues. The flavours were not that complex as I had expected for a Mexican restaurant. Maybe they decided to temper the flavours to cater to the masses. Portions sizes way too small, and prices way too high. You are looking at average size plate is 3 bites of food or about 2 to 4 ors for 15 dollars. I suppose it works more like a tapas style of restaurant meant for sharing rather than own meals. That being said the margaritas are very good, one of the better ones I've had in Toronto. Be careful it's 3 ozs of alcohol and does not taste like it.Special Features:
- overall very goodpappaqui999Dined on 11/5/2014The room is very vibrantly decorated, clearly a lot of effort was put into it. Fantastic selection of tequilas, interesting cocktails, well priced/ varied wine list. The service was the perfect combination of attentive, not rushed, just formal enough, friendly and sincere. The food was well presented, ,reasonably priced and thoughtful for a modern Mexican cantina. My only disappointment being that the kitchen seems to stay their hand when it comes to spice, acidity, lime, cilantro,etc. Having eaten true Mexican food, ,while it is not always explosive, I was expecting a bit more oomph.... Perhaps they've kept it tame so as not to scare away Canadians. Either way, would definitely return .Special Features:
- Great for Lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Went with a girlfriend from out of town. The food quality was very good. The fresh guacamole is a must! The ambiance is nice - a good choice in The Distillery District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun LunchdanthemanDined on 11/3/2014The four of us really enjoyed our lunch there, it was a birthday celebration which we forgot to mention. The service was excellent and our waitress was terrific. I would really recommend it for good Mexican food lovers. Very trendy and artsy. Watch the starter guacamole dip it's as expensive as the lunch specials, $15 a single bowl of dip and 3 small buckets of tortilla chips. Mind you it was delicious, and homemade. Everything else was reasonable prices, except parking.Special Features:
- Great Mexican FoodIsabelDined on 11/3/2014Great food and super friendly servers. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I made this reservation upwards of a month in advance. My friends and I were seated right behind the hostess at the front door. Blasts of cold air were constantly coming in and it ruined everyones meal. The food was quickly cold and my friends who had not been there did not get to experience the ambiance of the restaurant. I won't go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodie1Dined on 10/31/2014Was really excited to try this restaurant and one word to describe my experience - disappointment. Wait staff far more interested in greeting and serving "friends" than guests - took 40 min to get bill! Food was sub-par on many levels, and expensive for what was served. Drinks were excellent - kudos to bartender. As was Guacamole. But... not worth the cost or irritation of waiting for service. I might be back for a drink on the patio in the warm weather, but not for dinner.
- Great ....in declineChesareDined on 10/31/2014I have been to El Catrin 5 times in the last 5 months and it is unfortunate to see that probably because of its success they are paying less attention to detail than before: slower times for serving dishes, the serving order doesn't make sense, and in a couple of times my last visit they got the order wrong. Last but importanly, is the hostess. She is tall but that is about it. She is arrogant, unfriendly and lacks orientation to service. No smile or even trying to be pleasant. We were at a table that we could observe her throughout the night and the same attitude with all customers, which is significantly notorious with the great attitude of the rest. Bar man (one of them) was talking to a couple while the rest of the bar waits & waitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingslimystaypuftDined on 10/31/2014The food was fresh, plentiful, and delicious. Server was friendly, extremely helpful, and checked on us just enough times to see if we were enjoying our food/if we needed anything. The prices are a tad more expensive, but worth it. This is not Taco Bell. This is real food. Reserve a table and get down to the Distillery District STAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold greetingnewfoodieDined on 10/31/2014Everything was great with the food and our server, very enjoyable, friendly, and knowledgable about both food and beverage menus. However, the hostess .. was AWFUL. called to say we would be late we were stuck in traffic - she asked my name and reso time and when I told her she literally responded "k, marked as late" and hung up the phone.. SO RUDE Im assuming it was the same girl when we came in because she was the ICE QUEEN... SO RUDE. That girl needs to be demoted to something in the back where she isnt dealing with guests. she was the only negative aspect of our experience. CheersSpecial Features:
- AmazingLovedelcatrinDined on 10/28/2014An absolute must! If you are on a date, meeting friends, or taking clients for dinner, this is an absolute winner. Unique ambiance paired with a vibrant crowd and delicious food, this is a must-see in Toronto. Don't forego dessert, and whatever you do - have a Margherita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchTaurus12Dined on 10/26/2014This was our first visit to El Catrin and we will definitely be going back! The food was fantastic, the service was quick and attentive and the decor was stunning. It became a bit noisy once it filled up, but it was not a deterrent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mexican RestaurantTasnimDined on 10/25/2014The interior has great artwork on the walls. The outdoor patio looks comfortable as well. The service was mediocre. The restaurant didn't seem to be too busy yet the food came late. No complaints about the food, it was delicious. I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed!Foodie410Dined on 10/20/2014Amazing atmosphere. The design of the place is so intricate and capturing. I could have sat there all night just looking at every detail. The food was authentic and full of flavour. Awesome price point-for a margarita, app, taco's and shared desert...$44 plus a tip. Service was great. Server had lots of menu knowledge. Didn't feel rushed at all. I like the more laid back style of serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and it did not disappoint. We tried the 7-course sampler meal and it was terrific. Service was top notch as was the food. Restaurant was busy but neither service or quality of food suffered.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePollyoyDined on 10/18/2014Our server Kelly was fantastic! Friendly, knowledgable and attentive. Loved the interior! We went on the one night per month that the faces of the staff were painted (to the theme of day of the dead). Baja tacos were great! Guacamole was excellent as well as the pulled pork tacos! Would definitely like to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AtmosphereICE9Dined on 10/18/2014The price you pay for the food you get doesn't really add up. It's not as authentic, thus why I think it's a bit overpriced. The atmosphere & ambiance & the restaurant is beautifully decorated. Great to experience it. The service was fast, which is great & the noise level was on par, didn't have to struggle or speak loudly with the person on the other side of the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time @ El Cartin = AMAZINGyumyumDined on 10/17/2014It was our first time visiting El Catrin - and we were there to celebrate my 30th birthday. We had made a reservation and despite the lengthy line we were ushered in right away. The place is massive inside - and the décor is great. It's a fun place for a date night or a night out with friends. The food is excellent but so is the service. Our waiter made sure we were enjoying ourselves at all times - and even brought out birthday shots with premium tequila and authentic chasers. The service is quick and fun, the atmosphere is great and the food is fantastic. Will defiantly be back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Great food (esp the guac and the gobanator taco) and cool atmosphere! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good, but could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We ordered 2 drinks,7 dishes, 2 desserts. All of our food arrived before our drinks. All of the food arrived at the same time and it was only a couple of minutes from when we ordered. We felt very rushed.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and Awesome food!DeprivedOfAHotMealDined on 10/13/2014I would highly encourage you to try the food here. Excellent ambiance and great service!Special Features:
- DineandDashDined on 10/12/2014Food and drinks were amazing! Hostess needs a shake though, as we asked for a highchair table, four of which were free right beside us, but she finally ushered us to the other side of the restaurant, ... where it was busy and crowded. We were given a table BETWEEN two couples, both of whom were sitting on the bench side together!!! So my daughter was squished between two couples who were cosy!!!! It was noisy/and/or too intimate, and impossible to talk... We got up and moved to the bar ....Special Features:
- Never DisappointswinendineDined on 10/12/2014This is my fourth visit to El Catrin and it was as excellent as always. Its a beautiful space with outstanding food and service. Took my dad this time, who is very critical, and he loved it as well. The only complaint that I had - and its minor - is that the music was too loud so had a hard time hearing any conversation. Aside from that, a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmounttyraDined on 10/11/2014The only criticism is the portions are very small for the priceSpecial Features:
- foodie28Dined on 10/11/2014Our experience here was awesome! We enjoyed our food and our server was really great! The Baja tacos were really good!! Would recommend it! We loved the dessert the most! The churros and the tree leches cake!!; MMMMM. Would def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seated by the service staff stationLantz5Dined on 10/11/2014Even with reservations seated by a very busy staff service station. Food was amazing. Next time will request a better table.Special Features:
- HendoDined on 10/10/2014Great place decor inside and out. Service was impeccable, waiter was very nice and good was ready extremely quick. The small servings of food allowed for multiple orders, great for trying a variety of foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.