194 Ave A
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcamioncantina.com/
- Phone: 2125335436
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Monday: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from El Camion
El Camion Cantina, newly opened in the East Village is taking a fresh and fun look at all things Mexican. Offering over 25 different brands of high end tequila and traditional house margaritas made with Patron and fresh lime juice. Or try the frozen margaritas with a dizzying choice of fresh purees including guava, tamarind, and coconut. The traditional Mexican menu is bursting with flavor, featuring fresh, local produce and inspired specials that are new every week and brought to life by Chef Jorge Torres.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Camion reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (4)romantic (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- EV StapleajneupVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great food and vibrant ambiance. Only issue is that drink service is rather slow when the place gets busy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014Place had all surfaces so it was noisy. Food was okay. Service was okay.
- Nothing special but not badMokenVIPDined on 8/20/2014It's fine but not going to rush back. Not bad - just fine.
- Early Sunday DinnerJannVIPDined on 8/17/2014Party of 6, we ordered guacamole, they have the best house made chips. All but one ordered the hanger steak that came with killer fries. The odd (wo)man out ordered the Duck with mole sauce-sliced breast very flavorful although some pieces were very chewy came with a wonderful sweet potato puree. Good Margaritas. A very good value, timely service, very noisy although one half the seats were full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKBasicDined on 7/31/2014All aspects were mediocre. The staff was nice but the place was very small. They did have a very good drink special which was house margaritas and beer and wine for $5 until 7pm.Special Features:
- The following 61 reviews are from the El Camion reviews archive.
- GREAT FOOD, HORRIBLE SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014I was very delighted to go to El Camion for dinner with friends from out of town. I have heard some amazing things about El Camion's food. We arrived about 15 minutes before our reservation and didn't get a table til more than 30 minutes after our reservation. This is very frustrating as the whole point of making a reservation is to HAVE A TABLE AT THE TIME REQUESTED. We also felt like it took forever for the food to come out. After ordering only simple dishes like guac and tacos, we had to wait an hour to get our food. The food was delicious, don't get me wrong. But this visit made me realize that service is equally important as the food. They need to learn from places like Westville, who offer lemonade to their customers waiting in line.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I used to love this place until last weekend! The drinks are awesome and the bar tender was amazing but the food was awful! After finding a long piece of hair in my food the waitress just said oh sorry we can remake it if you want..um no thanks. They didn't even offer to take care of an appetizer or drink after multiple rounds ordered. Safe to say I won't go back.Special Features:
- Great mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/19/2014The main dishes are not all what you would consider mexican but delicious. Come for the amazing salsa & tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averageyashDined on 2/14/2014just a average mexican place. the fajitas were good, and tasty. the margaritas were good as well. nothing special though. service wise too we weren't blown away.Special Features:
- Energetic fun placeNealDined on 2/9/2014This is a go to place for dinner and brunch. Great margaritas, excellent food, and the service is spot on. I especially like the brunch menu, and it's a fun place for friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicelf88Dined on 1/18/2014El Camion offers great food at not too crazy a price... The tacos and guac were fresh, and the elote was excellent. The only criticism i have is that it gets very loud, because it is a small place. But even then it wasn't TOO loud. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican foodKattDined on 1/17/2014Really good mexican food, one of the best I have had in the city. The drinks are delicious and have tons of flavors. Really good spot for a date night.Special Features:
- Good drinks!KBNYC1981VIPDined on 1/6/2014The waiter was very attentive - we only had margarita's here but they were delicious! I'd like to come back for brunch.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningBKCressDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I spent New Years Eve, which is also his birthday, at El Camion. Though it was crowded, the service and quality of food were not affected whatsoever. The ambiance of the restaurant was dim, warm, and cozy. There was definitely a family atmosphere, which was nice, which didn't adversely affect my date-night! I would definitely return - the food was delicious!Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Went here for a bday dinner - SO good. The drinks were amazing (esp. the ginger beyatch) and the chicken quesadillas were the best EV.ER.Special Features:
- Girl's night outHungryvirgooDined on 11/23/2013El Camion was a great restaurant myself and my cousin's girlfriend went to. I enjoy eating Mexican food and this place was a great spot in the lower east side. The place did get packed but as I made sure to make reservations. The service was good, it wasn't great. The food was yummy. I had shrimp fajitas, I must say the shrimps were juicy and cooked thoroughly. Their white wine sangria was refreshing and hit the spot. Overall my experience wonderful. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be wary of late night reservationskdinerDined on 11/19/2013I love El Camion. I go there often and have written several good reviews. I have to write a review for this most recent experience because it was so disappointing. I made a late reservation. When I showed up with my friends, the man kept saying, "We close at 11." His tone was very rude. I asked him if he wanted us to leave. "We close at 11." I asked if we needed to leave or if we could stay. "We close at 11." So you want us to leave then? "We close at 11." That's the only thing he would say to us. A waitress came over and was very nice and accommodating. She was the only good part about our service. I am very disappointed with how I was treated. If you don't want people in your restaurant, don't accept late reservations. Or lock the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant. DefinitelySylviaDined on 9/12/2013Great restaurant. Definitely recommend. I called earlier to tell them to change reservation from 2 to 3. They said without ask for my name. I told them but I believe they didn't even right it down. When we got to restaurant, I told them my name and they said they only a reservation for 2. That I didn't call. I said yes I did. None the less, they accommodated us for three. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeatable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2013The server swapped my entree for no charge after I picked incorrectly. The food was good, but I will remember the service more.Special Features:
- Fun, Vibrant Mexican Restaurant!LoveitDined on 7/18/2013I really enjoyed my time to El Camion. The staff was super friendly, which was amazing given how busy they were. I was certainly glad I made a reservation because otherwise, I don't think we would've gotten a table, which was a surprise. Food was solid. Drinks were great. And we had a great time!Special Features:
- best guacOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2013place has some of the best guac i've ever had. excellent tequila list and the margs come in 3 sizes, get you where you want to be quick! great spot. would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is good but waitress was rudeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2013we arrived early for our reservation. told them we were early and then one person would be late. they sat us. only AFTER they sat us we got a lecture from the waitress about how even though we were seated without our full party and that we shouldn't even think about asking for that again in the future. then when our friend was a few minutes later than we expected (stuck in traffic) the waitress came over and told us what time it was and that our friend was late. the ridiculous thing was there was no line for tables and empty tables all around us. Plus the glasses of Malbec they brought us were HOT and the noise level was deafening. I had been to this restaurant three other times and really enjoyed it. But I will never go back againSpecial Features:
- Based on the reviews, i wasSmithVIPDined on 7/6/2013Based on the reviews, i was expecting so much more. Unfortunately, it was just okay and definitely not worth the trip to the East Village on a warm Saturday night. Shrimp tacos consist of 4 pieces of undercooked shrimp. Waitstaff was adequate, but not very attentive and tended to ask how things were as a drive-by. Margaritas were good, but not good enough to make me repeat. There are a lot of great Mexican restaurants in the city, sadly this is not one of them.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/5/2013This places is good for food or drinks. I've never had a bad dish here. Really good chips & salsa, sangria & usually wind up getting fish tacos because they are amazing. Cute place on the corner, nice view of the neighborhood & usually a pretty happening spot.Special Features:
- Good Go-To Casual MexicanJlhaasDined on 6/15/2013This is one of a couple go-to Mexican spots for us, especially when we're looking for somewhere to go with friends that isn't too pricey or fancy. The food is always good, as are the margaritas. It is very noisy, so definitely not the place to bring anyone hard of hearing.Special Features:
- Fun place with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2013I went there with a bunch of friends randomly for a night out. I booked it last minute based on yelp reviews and we all loved it and would definitely go back. Great service. Nice staff. Great food. Awesome atmosphere and good drinks. You can't go wrong here and I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every way!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/6/2013The margarita's are outstanding made with top shelf tequila, everything we ordered was first rate. I highly recommend this spot and will make it a point to go there every time we are in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2013This was my first time dining here. A solid neighborhood place. Not much on ambiance, but the food was really good and the prices were reasonable. I had two frozen margaritas which were not over sweet. The salad I had was extremely fresh and the chicken mole was delicious. My friend had fajitas and was very pleased. I'll keep this place in mind in the future -- I don't live in the neighborhood but do dine there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I come to El Camion oftenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2013I come to El Camion often for both dinner and brunch. The food is consistently good, and the price really can't be beat. At dinner in particular, it does get very loud, so it's probably better suited for a large group (there were two birthdays last time I was there) than an intimate one-on-one. Be sure to make a reservation, as the wait can be long if you don't!Special Features:
- Margaritas were a little expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2013Margaritas were a little expensive but overall fairly priced and very good!Special Features:
- Very good drinks menu. FoodGoodFoodBBDined on 2/22/2013Very good drinks menu. Food was good, except the fish tacos. Really enjoyed the salsa with the guacamole & chips. It's very noisy, but it's a very cute place!Special Features:
- Great Mexican spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/19/2013Best chicken mole EVER!!! It's good blend between a more upscale Mexican place like Mole in Chelsea and something more Villagey and down to earth. The dishes are well executed and great cocktails too!Special Features:
- The chips, salsa and guacamoleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2013The chips, salsa and guacamole are delicious, they have a nice beer selection and the grilled veggie fajitas I had were good. I wish I'd gotten the roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and that pomegranate mole sauce that my friend ordered instead, it was fantastic.Special Features:
- Thought the food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2012Thought the food and drinks here were good. We ordered the Guacamole to start, only problem was very small portion for three, but still had good flavor. Had the mojito and the others had margaritas which were well made in my opinion. For dinner we ordered the steak fajita which was delicious and the steak burritos. All in all it was a good meal and we had a good time.Special Features:
- I really liked this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012I really liked this place for everything except my entree. Good red sangria, solid chips and guac, good atmosphere. I got their special of the evening- a pan seared mahi mahi with mashed plantains. The fish was really underseasoned, it was cooked well but had no flavor. The mashed plantains were too sweet. BUT I snagged bites of a couple other entrees and they were much better- the steak with sweet potato fries was awesome and the carnitas burrito was great too. I'm would definitely come back to give this place another chance because I think I misordered.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012The food was just ok. If you're looking for authentic Mexican food this isn't the place. Also, the drinks were not that good. After two flat sodas I thought a margarita was a safe bet. I was wrong. Factor in a sub par service and an inconsiderate host and I'm not going back or recommending this place.
- Food was not prepared to order.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2012Food was not prepared to order. Steak was ordered medium; by the middle of the meal, it became clear that only one side was cooked properly, the other side was just seared, rare on the inside. Will not be coming back.
- Yummy, mid-range Mexican foodHowesMediaVIPDined on 8/21/2012For sure, there are much better and more serious purveyors of Mexican cuisine in New York, but El Camion is a fine East Village find, with friendly staff, comfortable tables, and tasty plates.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and drinks -- they had a lamb chop appetizer with mashed sweet plantains that was out of this world. Very enjoyable evening, but it was busy, so we were glad to have made reservations. We walked in and sat right down.Special Features:
- drink, don't eat.mmmmDined on 8/10/2012We had the chips and guacamole, tamarind wings, steak fajitas, and fish tacos. The wings were ok (more BBQ than tamarind), the guacamole had a lot of filler, the fish tacos were inedible because there was too much flour and the steak fajitas had way too much salt. However, the margaritas were strong and fantastic, and I recommend going there during happy hour (before 7pm)... just don't eat the food.