2304 San Diego Ave.
San Diego, CA 92110Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elagave.com/
- Phone: (619) 220-0692
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 2:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Juan Carlos Gomez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Deposit required. Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Carlos Aceves 6192200692
A word from El Agave
El Agave was voted “Best Mexican Restaurant” in the San Diego Reader and San Diego Magazine in 1999. Chef Juan Carlos Gomez was also voted “1999 Chef of the Year” in Home and Garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Agave reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (20)good for groups (10)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful findbfrank4frDined on 11/15/2014I don't understand why this restaurant was so empty. Maybe weird parking - but it still was there. You walk into a restaurant with hundreds, maybe thousands, of tequila bottles - all different. We were there as a family - age range 8 to adult. We asked for a taste of a $22 tequila - very smooth. The ambiance was wonderful. I loved my Mole - don't remember the name - but it had mole, banana, cinammon and a bunch of other wonderful ingredients. Our waiter Carlos was very warm and gave us good guidance. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaraunt! Happy that we made it!RauleonDined on 11/15/2014We're from Vegas and arrived in San Diego with a hunger to eat at a good restaraunt. We walked into Old Town and decided to stop at EL Agave. So happy that we did. You MUST try this place! Albert our waiter was so friendly and professional. The ambiance transports you to an old romance film. The food was gourmet mexican...A simple review won't do this restaraunt justice...you must go for the experience, and the Margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nouvelle Mexican CuisinedgkphdDined on 11/13/2014Went to El Agave while in San Diego for a conference because of the rating in Zagat's and the reviews in Trip Advisor which gave it an award for an outstanding restaurant in 2014. Zagat's and Trip Advisor's award were right about this restaurant. The service was excellent. Wait staff was friendly, helpful, and very patient in meeting our requests for some menu changes. My friend had a shrimp dish witch said was very tasty and the shrimp were grilled perfectly. I had filet mignon with grilled tiger shrimp in an excellent sauce with Mexican spices. The steak was cooked perfectly as were the shrimp. It was an outstanding dish with a fantastic flavor. All in all our experience at El Agave was outstanding and comes highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Shelf Mexican diningPairofjacks2Dined on 11/3/2014For either lunch or diner, food is top notch in a right sized room. Solid, friendly service... and the Tequila selection most impressive (and tasty) !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious chicken mole!LindaSDined on 11/2/2014El Agave’s chicken mole is outstanding! The tequila flight was a marvelous way to begin our meal with the chips and salsas. We shared some tacos and the chicken mole enchiladas, both great choices for lunch.Special Features:
- Fun restaurant, need more serversFoodie4twoVIPDined on 11/1/2014Restaurant was fun, some of the food was amazing especially the Chilean Seabass. The chicken was very dry, but the fillet was amazing. Only issue was really the service. Appeared that our server was responsible for all three areas and didn't have enough help. He was very attentive when he was with us but took forever to get his attention because he was so busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- El AgaveDrCrashDined on 10/17/2014Great nouveaux Mexican cuisine, good size portions, and more tequila than you can shake a stick at. Beautiful room, nice place for a date night. Not cheap but not outrageous either, unless you really sample a lot of tequila. :-PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Town San Diego DelightluvitalianVIPDined on 10/15/2014For those who love Mexican food but are looking for something a little different, this is a great place to dine. You won't find the typical taco, burrito, enchilada, combo plate selections. The menu selections are quite unique with the mole' being their specialty. But don't forget about their filete (steak) entrees. The restaurant is at the south end of Old Town located in a small strip mall with limited parking. Don't let that deter you for a wonderful dining experience. The bar has a phenomenal selection of tequilas and such.Special Features:
- Nice dinning experienceSajorlDined on 9/26/2014Great food! Great service! The Azteca soup was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food not as good as beforeLadiesDined on 9/26/2014We returned to El Agave for the restaurant week menu this year. Unfortunately the food was heavy in both dishes, the mole and the cream in the shrimp, including the bricky flan. It was overpriced too. The ambiance is great, the service attentive, and the noise was reduced from previous experiences.Special Features:
- amazinghuhhDined on 9/23/2014The food and service were outstanding. Came here during restaurant week so prices were real good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!JeNaRiLeDined on 9/22/2014I had no idea this place existe, and i was pleasantly surprised! Being a native Mexico City person, i find it hard to go to a mexican restaurant, but this place proved me wrong. the food was amazing, the service impeccable, I would recommend this place if you would like to taste authentic mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014First time for us. Made the Open Table reservation and was pleasantly surprised at the level of service from the staff. The place was empty but the food was very good. Overall I'd go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!LollyDined on 9/6/2014I went on the hut to find a great gourmet Mexican restaurant, I must of searched for an hour and I am so glad I kept looking. Almost everything that came up were tourist spots and I really wanted something more. WOW did I find it the food, drinks, service, all amazing We live in North County and its worth the drive its a must. It is a Mexican restaurant but we all had seafood again amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what I hoped forHeloise60Dined on 8/26/2014I'd almost given up the quest for good quality Mexican food. I haven't yet found anything in the UK and was really keen to find the high-class Mexican cuisine I know exists while in California. I finally found it here - beautifully presented plates with delicious sauces. I see other reviews have commented on high prices. I don't really know what a Californian might expect to pay for a meal like this but I thought it worth every penny, certainly compared to the mostly over-priced and really quite average dining experiences I had last week in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Tried Mole for the first time and loved it. Waiter was very helpful in trying new dishes.Special Features:
- Not What I ExpectedDreaMDined on 8/23/2014I was really intrigued by their large tequila selection so we decided to give it a try. The restaurant is small and has an intimate feeling. The service lacked. I ordered a shot of tequila from their list. They didn't have it. I requested something similar. The host said they didn't have anything similar. With over 200 tequilas, they didn't have anything similar to what I ordered? We ordered their mole which was ok. The mole itself had good flavor, but they put it over bland chicken which affected the overall taste. Our margaritas came in broken glasses. The waiter took a long time to come refill our waters. They are a little too pricy for what they offer. This restaurant is not the fancy place it tries to portray online.
- Memorable simply wonderfulGoodtimesDined on 8/12/2014We haven't stopped talking about this place since our dinner the other night. Amazing tequila, great service, the chicken mole was the best we've ever had-and we're from the southwest and love our moles! We will be back again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Agave is always Solid!STLGUYDined on 8/11/2014Visit annually and always go to see Alberto at El Agave. Food is amazing, I tyically take business guests and they always walk away happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but overpricedSunshine628VIPDined on 8/10/2014Not enough mexican on the menu Lots of tequila, more than you imagined existed Upscale look but not what I expected for a mexican placeSpecial Features:
- DeliciosoDinDin4meVIPDined on 8/2/2014Pleasantly surprised with El Agave. Tasty cuisine and outstanding service. Although a bit pricey, I still highly recommend this Mexican restaurant if you are in Old Town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gret Experience...daisymiillerVIPDined on 8/2/2014We visited the establishment on the recommendation of other diners. Not only were the drinks excellent (Cadillac margarita, Sangria), the sea bass that we had as our entree was probably the best I have ever had, and I am not given to hyperbole. We ordered two different renditions of the fish and both were perfect. I have not ordered any other dishes here, so I cannot speak for the taste or authenticity of them, but our meal was wonderful, the service was attentive, and the ambiance was beautiful. We will make a special trip to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed my meal thereAncientOneVIPDined on 8/2/2014My brother recommended this place, and while perhaps my expectations were low, but I was pleasantly surprised by decent food and good presentation. Only downside is that it is on the far edge of Old Town.
- The following 425 reviews are from the El Agave reviews archive.
- Mmmmm Mole!sbfoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014We started with house Margaritas and cactus salad, which were excellent, then also had the Don Julio mole... it was dreamy! The best mole ever; perfected. The only drawback here is the place feels a bit dusty and unpolished, but the great food and excellent service will keep us coming back. A find in Old Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food bland but drinks are greatbabajvDined on 7/15/2014My date and I picked this place for Tequila and Taco Tuesday. We ordered the house Tequila which was amazing and in good quantity. We also ordered two appetizers each. My date is Mexican and was not impressed by the food. I was not either. It tasted bland and was nothing special. Given the quality of the appetizer we decided to forego the dinner. However, the selection of Tequila is great and would be a good place to get toasty. If you are looking to get food only, look elsewhere. Ended up paying about 120$ for 4 shots and two appetizers (includes tip and tax).Special Features:
- Wonderful Neighborhood GemHomesaraVIPDined on 7/13/2014If you love Mexican gourmet, this place will not disappoint. It's fabulous and the food is beautifully prepared. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- My favorite MexicanMarkVIPDined on 7/11/2014Whenever I am in San Diego I never miss El Agave. Truly great traditional Mexican. Not the usual tacos and Buriitos. They specialize in Moles and they do a great job. Over the years I have had them all, but my favorite is the Coloradito. How can you go wrong in a place that has over 2000 bottles of tequila. If you order anything but a Margarita you're doing yourself a dis-service. Great place for a business dinner as well. Bring your appetite.Special Features:
- Beautiful DecorStar1345LiDined on 7/11/2014The Agave is a quiet and classy place to enjoy gourmet Mexican Cuisine, just steps away from Old Town San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigeaterVIPDined on 7/3/2014Food was great, but felt everything was over priced.Special Features:
- The Filet Mignon & Chicken BurritoFanoftheLadyBirdDined on 6/29/2014As a Texan, I've eaten a LOT of good Mexican food. The Filet Mignon & Chicken Burrito was perhaps the best Mexican dish I've ever eaten. The filet and the chicken had both been marinated and were tender, juicy, and delicious. Served in a tomato flour tortilla, the burrito made me smile with every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceTLC84Dined on 6/28/2014The food and ambiance was wonderful, however, the service from everyone was absolutely terrible. Our server was often looking at other tables when he was suppose to be serving us, and at times, he was no where in sight. Moreover, he was disingenuous and had no concern for our table.Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican CuisineFoodloverDined on 6/15/2014El Agave is an exceptional restaurant specializing in a sophisticated, imaginative Mexican cuisine.Special Features:
- Great traditional Mexican placenembiteVIPDined on 6/14/2014we both had mole selections with chicken and they were both very good. Super great tequila selection. Ambiance was great--felt like we were in Mexico. Really excellent gem of a place.Special Features:
- A San Diego GembenhereDined on 6/9/2014Had relatives in town from Washington state. Wanted to take them to a restaurant that served fine regional Mexican dishes, not the standard taco enchilada combo plates. Excellent selection of different dishes and mole sauces, seafood, etc. If you want the standard Mexican fare in San Diego, there are plenty of those restaurants (and a number of them are good), but if you want something special then there is El Agave. I rated the noise level as high, but there was a big party that sat just after us (20+), otherwise it would have not been as loud.Special Features:
- NotAFoodieDined on 6/7/2014Not your typical Mexican Restaurant fare. Definitely worth a visit to try the cactus salad and a variety of Tequilas.Special Features:
- Tequila UtopiaGorbyVIPDined on 6/7/2014Great traditional Mexican food with an outstanding tequila menu. The tables are surrounded by the Tequila Museum that was outstanding. As a tequila aficionado I thought it was heaven. Spent 20 minutes going through all the tequila displays. Loved the tacos and the margaritas were perfect. If you are in Old Town you couldn't go wrong with El Agave.Special Features:
- Very tasty Mexican foodThomVIPDined on 6/3/2014I'm not an expert on Mexican food, but we liked this food a lot. Unusual preparation of standard Mex favorites. We overate because it was so good. Lunch time before summer tourists was not crowded. Very limited wine choices but all kinds of tequila and some standard beer favorites.Special Features:
- Bill McCurineSatisfiedDined on 6/1/2014One of the best seafood dishes I've ever had. Very charming atmosphere with a noise level low enough that conversation was very easy. Their were 4 in our party. 3 of us loved what we chose; our daughter was lukewarm about her dinner. But all of us want to return,--and will.Special Features:
- Food outstanding.fire the bartenderEllieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Our food was excellent, they use such lovely ingredients. Service at the table was impeccable. We just had the worst experience waiting at the bar.Special Features:
- Very good, but...JMS1VIPDined on 5/19/2014Enjoyed the unique atmosphere. It's pricey, even if it's an upscale approach to Mexican food. Lots of moles and seafood choices. If you want traditional Mexican, and reasonable prices, this is not the place. But for something unique, it was a good choice. When I made the reservation, I indicated that it was for a birthday, but nothing was done to acknowledge that. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.