El Agave - Del Mar
1555 Camino del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
El Agave - Del Mar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://elagave.com/
- Phone: 8587930758
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from El Agave - Del Mar
The best place in San Diego to enjoy authentic Mexican Cuisine is El Agave Restaurant and Tequileria, located within our Tequila Museum where you can try over 2000 different tequilas. It is the perfect setting to experience the true flavor of Mexico. If you are looking for a great place for a business lunch, romantic dinner or just to enjoy a fine Tequila with friends or someone special, we are ready to serve you. Do not just go out to an ordinary restaurant, join us for a unique experienceContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
El Agave - Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
El Agave - Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (43)romantic (20)fit for foodies (19)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DolciVIPDined on 9/13/2014wonderful assortment of menu items and great assortment of margaritas.With a outstanding view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strike two.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014This was my second visit to the restaurant. The first time, they had only been open a week or two so paying high prices for poor service and cold food was understandable. This time however, the restaurant was empty and they had plenty of staff. Unfortunately the service, food and experience fell well short again. I won't be back. Too many other great spots to choose from.Special Features:
- LovelyPGregoryVIPDined on 9/8/2014This is the most beautiful restaurant I have been to in a very long time! Fabulous job on the interior and the food was absolutely delightful!!Special Features:
- Lunch & Dinner have different menusOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/7/2014This restaurant is excellent. Absolutely great quality and great tasting food. Interestingly, lunch is typical Mexican-American fare with enchiladas and burritos, with chips and salsa to start. Dinner is entirely different, and what is probably, more true to authentic Mexican food, with many different mole dishes to choose from. Both were excellent, but if you have a craving for enchiladas, chips and salsa, go for lunch.Special Features:
- Waiting to go out of businessunevenDined on 9/1/2014Food quality varied greatly. My wife thought hers was good. My mole with chicken must have been pre-made as it was so dry almost inedible. Watery drinks, service good at the beginning and then couldn't find the server. Very expensive and not worth it. If they survive I will be surprised.Special Features:
- Mole HeavenoldtimersDined on 8/27/2014El Agave in Old Town has been a favorite for years so the sibling in our home town of Del Mar drew us right in. While the two menus are the same, the ambiance in Del Mar is more date-night classy with an surpassed view while Old Town has a unique personality with a Mexican soul. The waiters in Old Town are so special that they make an unfair comparison. But the Margaritas and moles are the heart of this pair of jewels and they are every bit as good in both. Time will tell if the new temptress can win over our hearts from Old Town but either way El Agave's food makes our hearts sing.Special Features:
- poor service. ok foodDelmargirlVIPDined on 8/24/2014was really expecting to like this place. extremely poor service from the start, and we were the only ones in the restaurant at 11:00 sunday for brunch. never asked us for drinks. water served by someone else only. had to interrupt his refreshment that he was busy making for himself while changing channels on the TV. food was good, a little cold considering we were the only ones there. disappointed to say the least. great location, unfortunately doesn't have a good track record. i don't think it will be there long.
- Terrible ServiceLRDubDined on 8/23/2014We had really slow service, food was ok but overpriced and no vegetarian options which is strange for a Mexican restaurant. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- el AgaveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014we enjoyed our dinner very much. Every thing was wonderful. It was a special occasion for our grinds who are moving to Thailand and wanted some traditional Mexico food. We had only been to the old town location. this was amazing as always. Our waiter was outstanding and the manager shown us the tequila display. Thankyou for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new addition to Del MarLizThompsDined on 8/16/2014We had an 8:00 reservation for dinner at El Agave on Saturday night. We arrived about ten minutes early and were seated immediately in the room closer to the water near the bar. We had a great time and enjoyed everything we tried - margaritas, tequila shots, wine, salads, mole and dessert. This is a welcome new addition to downtown Del Mar where the other Mexican restuarants are much more casual. Although El Agave is a much pricier option, it is well worth it for a special night out. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable with respect to the tequila and menu selections. We tried the El Agave house-made tequila shots and loved them. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- El agave reviewJben06Dined on 8/9/2014Waiter was kinda rude and too pushy which made our experience way less enjoyable vs last time. We go to the restaurant to relax and last thing we want is a waiter behind our behind every single 5 minutes to push something more on us. Our table of 4 felt rushed and frankly were very annoyed with our waiter who did not get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food outshone by the viewSimonB28Dined on 8/8/2014This restaurant has taken up the high position overlooking Del Mar within the shopping complex that affords it one of the great romantic sunset dining experiences within the US. To sit in the bar lounge sipping exciting modern Margarita mixes with nouvelle-Mexican appetizers and watch the sun set over the pacific has to be on your wish list. The food is not the standard fare and the presentation and combination is more in-line with boutique restaurants than the local Taco shop. It was delicious. My only request is that the salsas offered with the chips be less runny. I can imagine many a guest has had to clean splashes off their best and impressive clothes that this place and crowd demands.Special Features:
- Food interesting/good -service slowFoodieFVIPDined on 8/7/2014Was glad to see something try yet again in the cursed Del Mar Plaza spot. I've been to El Agave in Old Town before so knew a bit about the menu etc.. Service was exceptionally slow (although our waiter was pretty cool) We had a pretty good Sea Bass dish (albeit overcooked slightly), an amazing Lobster appetizer, mediocre ceviche and very tasty Chicken Mole dish. Not your standard Mexican fair - more Mexico City style. Tequila menu very good but CRAZY PRICEY! A shot (large) Don Julio Silver I think was $24 (almost the bottle price) - nuts! The waiter did suggest an alternative that was good. Overall B- with hopes up improving if they can get service level up.Special Features:
- outstanding mexican restaurantdrd1Dined on 7/25/2014not the usual mexican fare. Excellent variety of high quality dishes, especially the moles, and different, creative dishes. adding this location to their old town spot (where they have been for many years) is a real bonus for north county/Del Mar. Margaritas are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, presentation & view!DelmarfoodieDined on 7/21/2014I was a big fan on Epazote, a similar restaurant that used to be in the same space yrs ago but El Agave tops it with more beautiful decor, better outside dining and food that was delicious. All of us loved our meals. Chips are served with 2 kinds of dipping salsas and a bean dip..view of course is spectacular. I will come back and try the bar scene next as we were here for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Tex-MexDesertPeopleVIPDined on 7/20/2014We went for lunch on 7/20/14 and sat in their interior patio view room looking off into the pacific ocean. Had Chicken enchiladas mole and they were superb. They even had a kids menu for our twin 4yo's. Prices were reasonable around $12-14 per item and portions were plenty to feed us comfortably. There are a lot of tourist trap restaurants in this Del Mar beach frontage area so this one was definitely very good and I would go back without hesitation.Special Features:
- Not ready for primetimemeltyDined on 7/19/2014My family was excited to try out the new El Agave Restaurant in the Del Mar Plaza & we booked it to celebrate our son's 27th birthday. We arrived about 15 minutes early and were told that our table would not be ready for 30 minutes but we were offered an interior table immediately. The restaurant is beautiful and we didn't have any complaints about our seating other than it didn't have a view. Our waiter was very professional but on that evening he seemed to be covering an exceptionally large amount of tables and our service was extremely slow. We all loved our drinks, appetizers & main courses but the extreme slowness was a major downer. We will go back but not in the near future - hopefully by then all of the kinks will be ironed out.Special Features:
- DisappointedLMO1VIPDined on 7/11/2014Our cactus salad was very good but the main course was just average. The service was horrible, waited 25 minutes for the salad. We were hoping for a new place to go in the neighborhood but we won't be back.Special Features:
- Gourmet MexicanDansqrfromSanDiegoVIPDined on 7/7/2014Enjoyed the food. Offers a different twist on a familiar fare. Excellent for diners that are fed up with fajitas tacos and burritos.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014The decor of the restaurant, the view of the ocean, and the unique menu are just some of the reasons we would return to El Agave everytime we are in the area. The view of the sunset was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Good location in Del Mar. Old town restaurant is awesome ambience!Special Features:
- Not "Mexican" food...CeehVIPDined on 6/24/2014I booked a table here for a group. The menu isn't listed on OpenTable, but the description was Mexican cuisine, so I figured it would be perfect for TacoTues with a scenic view. Started in the bar, but missed happy hour (4-6:30). When we were seated, we looked at the menu and almost laughed out loud. The server said food was all "southern Mexican"...clearly not what we expected, and also WAY too gourmet in comparison to the southern Mexican we've had! A whole page of Mole (which I am not a fan of), and ridiculously expensive! Even for Del Mar!!! We shared a few appetizers, which were great, then went for some Mexican food at En Fuego! Will not return...prices & food options weren't appealing, service poor. View, however, is spectacular!Special Features:
- Flavorful LunchjustvisitingDined on 6/12/2014A great spot to grab a flavorful lunch while enjoying Del Mar. They have a delightful menu with delicious options such as duck tacos and mini tamales with exceptional sauces. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014Nice setup but the quality of the food was really bad , had no taste none of the foods and service was really really bad .. Sad cause it is a pretty placeSpecial Features:
- poor service, strange foodhotlovemonkeyDined on 6/5/2014not for vegetarians. the beans taste like bacon. we were really ignored and had to beg for water and service. the food was strange but I am sure some foodies will find it interesting. great ambience and view.Special Features:
- Love El AgaveDispleasedVIPDined on 6/5/2014We have been a lot since they opened and we keep going back. Great service and ambience interesting and tasty food terrific energy. Love the bar on the Patio. We got there early so partook in Happy Hour which is a fabulous deal and were very happy and sated.Special Features:
- AlwayshopefulDined on 5/31/2014The ambiance and service were first rate. The food, not so much. It was heavy and frankly, uninspired. I expected a newer approach and sadly, didn't experience it. We might try it again but with a number of other good choices in restaurants around, it may not happen. I am sorry because again, the service was perfect and the ambiance matched it. Candidly, there are so many Mexican restaurants around with better food. I am happy to pay higher prices- no problem there- but perhaps a lighter, more creative fare would be so much more tantalizing and would set this establishment apart.
- Bad Experience77a775Dined on 5/29/2014The food was terrible and the vibe in the place was terrible. The person that seemed to be the manager had a poor attitude, seriously.Special Features:
- AwfulBobbieqVIPDined on 5/24/2014Aside from the margaritas, which were good, there was nothing acceptable about this experience. The water glasses were water spotted, two of the dishes were dirty, the appetizer plate was disappointing, the mole was ok but the chicken breast it covered was dry and tough. I don't know in what world that dessert was called flan but not in any Mexican home or restaurant I've ever been to. Don't bother. Not worth the money or the evening.
- The following 20 reviews are from the El Agave - Del Mar reviews archive.
- Great new find!LizNDined on 5/22/2014This is the offshoot of the original El Agave in Old Town San Diego. While the Old Town one is kitschy and quirky (albeit with great food and drink), the Del Mar restaurant is sleek, modern and elegant. The view of the ocean is spectacular, especially at sunset. And the food and drink are equal to the Old Town location. Don't expect Tex-Mex laden with cheese and beans. This is southern Mexican food, with a focus on seafood and the range of Mexican mole sauces. And if you're a tequila drinker, the El Agave house brand is as good or better than some of the best top shelf tequilas out there.Special Features:
- great service, fun take on mexicanJjnycVIPDined on 5/18/2014Fun cocktails, great views and a broad menu with a variety of choices. cool atmosphere with some great views. much needed new place for 15th street.Special Features:
- Ok, not greatddgalloDined on 5/16/2014Food was way too spicy. Restaurant was VERY hot. Atmosphere nice, and very nice view, but I don't think I'll be going back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2014LOVED this place in Old town..... really glad its up in no county :)Special Features:
- Wonderful New Del Mar SpotDdotDined on 5/4/2014El Agave is the newest eatery in the Del Mar Plaza; They serve upscale Spanish/Mexican cuisine in a unique, comfortable setting with a full on ocean view. The food and service has been outstanding both times I have eaten there. The second meal was a birthday celebration, and all of us felt we couldn't have picked a better spot for the occasion. For lunch, the prices are quite reasonable (we spent $12 - $15 apiece) considering the unique food and the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DayMickyDined on 5/3/2014Wonderful Restaurant great service , ocean view spectacular you can enjoy the sunset from this place Great food, they have so many margaritas on his menu and are really good.!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service lousyJCP61Dined on 4/26/2014Unlikely to return despite the top notch food. The bar area is a better location than the dining area because it has a view, the staff attends to it better, and is the most active area. Our hostess was unwilling to seat us in a better location (although minutes later another couple was accommodated) - very frustrating. When we asked about the different tequilas, the waitress pushed the house brand only. Worse yet, she was missing for large portions of the night. When we finally were able to order another round of drinks and another long wait, she brought the wrong drinks. On the bright side, the food was excellent - my wife had the baby rack of lamb dish and I had the jumbo shrimp al Tequilana - but not good enough to return.Special Features:
- El Agave El AlovelyJoyofDiningDined on 4/26/2014I have been to the latest location of El Agave in Del Mar twice now. Once with my two kids and my husband, and once on a couples night out. Both times service was great and so was the food. The ambiance is wonderful and love the energetic vibe. They did a great job creating a new entree for a friend who had a special craving for something not on the menu! I think El Agave picked a wonderful location and has many years of fun to be had.Special Features:
- too noisy, too freneticmoleloverDined on 4/12/2014they had recently opened this beautiful venue. service was scattered, kitchen behind in orders, way too frenetic. food overrated. hopefully, with more time these flaws will be worked out.Special Features:
- Big let downWinoDogDined on 4/12/2014The only good thing was the mole sauce. Host/Hostess personal seemed indifferent. Had to wait a long time to get seated and there was not a line to get in. Also we had we had a reservation. Food was slow to the table and barely warm when it arrived. Wait staff kept kicking our chairs due to poor layout of outdoor dinning area. Noise was so loud that you had to shout to have dinner conversation. This was our first and last time at El Agave!Special Features:
- Start up painsabcdVIPDined on 4/11/2014Clearly, "just opened" service pain. We were on time for our reservation, but waited 20 min to be seated.....even though the table that we sat was available and ready when we arrived. The waitress was not knowledgable about the menu. Took 30 min to serve our first course of salad and soup. Food was OK but not 4/5 star quality. Very loud...cannot have conversation without shouting.