Eighty Eight @ The Elms
401 Regent Street
Excelsior Springs, MO 64024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Eighty Eight @ The Elms
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elmshotelandspa.com/dining.html
- Phone: 8166305500x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily, 7am - 11am
Daily, 11am - 2pm
Bar & Tavern Menu
Daily, 2pm - 10pm
Sunday - Thursday, 5pm - 9pm
Friday & Saturday, 5pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining in the Upper 88 is available with advance reservations. The Eighty Eight can customize a dining room menu or you can contact The Elms sales department to choose from the banquet menu (available on select dates only).
A word from Eighty Eight @ The Elms
88 at The Elms boasts a rustic American dining experience. Our menu is built around quality produce featuring seasonal, locally grown and procurred ingredients, many from the grounds of The Elms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Eighty Eight @ The Elms reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (8)special occasion (8)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Very Nice SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014We had a beautiful tasty meal in a lovely atmosphere beside a beautiful old fireplace. The service was attentive. The Rosemary chicken and swordfish were both perfectly cooked. The food around us looked equally inviting.Special Features:
- Great Service, delicious foodDappelDined on 10/18/2014We celebrated our anniversary here. The food all came out delicious and we perfect service. Came back for brunch the next day and it was a little pricey but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls spa weekend the elmsSiren52Dined on 10/18/2014Small great fireplace. Ask for a table near the fireplace. Nice menu. Food was great. Good service. Salads a bit small. But enter ole. Surprising good in lication. No other choices in this town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!AllisonRDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went to Eighty Eight @ The Elms for our anniversary and had a wonderful time. The food was terrific, the staff was excellent and the evening perfect! I was impressed with the bartender who came to our table to explain some of their specialty drinks off the menu and even made me an ample sample of one to see if I'd like it. Afterwards we explored the boutique hotel and thoroughly their free ghost tour. Following the tour, we had a night cap in the hotel's bar and watched the Royals win! All in all it was a fantastic special occasion experience! Next time we plan to stay at the Elms and enjoy their spa too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary.... no big dealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Management made no attempt to make our 11th wedding anniversary special. Poor service and did not make arrangements with me for flowers.Special Features:
- Mood congruencecarlocarboDined on 9/19/2014Seemed like the fig flatbread was amazing but our experience could have been influenced the time we spent in the grotto then the couples massage before our 8:30 dinner.Special Features:
- MadgeDined on 9/13/2014We loved our service, drinks and dinner. We had the filet and could cut it with a butter knife. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Great food, amazing bar!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014Chef Jordan has revitalized the menu with great fish specials, wonderful appetizers and solid entres. Travis and Patrick are superb craft bartenders and the cocktails rival anything in KCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 100 reviews are from the Eighty Eight @ The Elms reviews archive.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Food was excellent, got right in (in fact we were early and still got right in). Employees very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Messed up our checkMRSCOLVINDined on 5/11/2014We dined here for the Mother's Day brunch buffet and the food was amazing! Large variety of quality food at a reasonable price. My only complaint was that they mixed up our ticket with someone else. They noticed after we already paid for it. Another waitress that we hadn't met before said she needed our card so she could correct the bill. We asked "will it be more or less?" She said "less". We have her the card and when we received the second bill from our original waiter it was about 15$ more. If you ask me they should have left it alone with that small difference as a courtesy for messing the bill up. They also charged us 15$ for my two year old to eat a handful of grapes from the buffet who was supposed to be free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedmeDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I took another couple to the 88 to celebrate their recent marriage and we could not have hoped for a nicer evening out. Patrick the bartender got things rolling with pre-dinner cocktails and was as personable as he was professional. Once seated, our server Julie took incredible care of us the entire time! From appetizers to dessert, the four of us were very pleased with the quality, presentation, and flavor profiles of our food. DO NOT miss the sea bass!!! We also tasted some specialty beers from Perennial Artisan Ales out of St Louis- be sure to inquire about the beers as these were off menu specials let over from a recent beer tasting.Special Features:
- It was OKAirBabuVIPDined on 5/4/2014Very beautiful setting, and the food was very good. With few people in the restaurant, we ordered off the menu instead of the Sunday buffet and service was surprisingly slow.Special Features:
- Good but lacking the detailsTasteetreatsDined on 5/3/2014Eighty-eight is a beautiful restaurant. Very unique round two story design. This caused the noise level to be quite loud in a hear the person across the room but not across the table. The portions are generous. Our food was just ok. The black fig flatbread was very good. The plating was sloppy. My wife's chicken was badly over cooked. The server did not understand gluten free. The flourless chocolate cake tasted like a brownie mix. Quinoa pancakes were said to be gluten free by the server; Very doubtful. Two weddings were being catered at the same time so possibly this led to some of the details being overlooked. Server was slow and forgetful and took silverware without bringing replacements. Would return for breakfast but not for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchLoveoEatOutDined on 4/20/2014The food was excellent and presented beautifully; however, the wait staff was not readily available to serve and refill drinks. We made reservations and was seated in the front dining room, which we would request again. Inside and out, the setting was beautiful and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elmseatingksDined on 4/12/2014I ate with a group on a Saturday evening. I called ahead to make sure a special drink and dessert could be made for the table and was assured this was no problem. I spoke on the phone with the "executive chef" and a hostess, also stopped in and spoke with the hostess the morning of our reservation. At the time of our reservation, no one in the restaurant had any idea what I had arranged or what I was talking about. Embarrassing and frustrating. The food, however, was excellent and our servers seemed to do their best to remedy the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GetawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014The 88 at the Elms was a great restaurant. Whether you are staying at the Elms or find yourself in Excelsior Springs for dinner, this is a great spot for a romantic dinner or special occasion. The steaks were done perfectly, and the restaurant's ambiance reflected that of The Elms very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!!!BrooklynnLDined on 4/4/2014Courtney was my server. she was absolutely amazing! We visited this restaurant for my fiance' birthday. I scheduled a massage for him, and while he was there I went to the bar to grab a glass of wine to calm my nerves because I was so anxious. I feel horrible, I do not remember the bartenders name, I believe she had blonde hair(whom work PM 4/04/14) she was wonderful! very helpful, and helped me with a delicious Sangria that she made! Great choice! Anyway, they let me change my reservation time with no problem. We finally had down to eat, and everything was great! They even surprised us with a glass of Champagne for his bday! I was in tears! He works so hard, and you all really help make it special for him and I. Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could have been betteronceisenoughDined on 3/29/2014We were told the wrong soup of the day or every other table was because what we were told was not what they were told. They did not have any crackers to go with the soup. When our meal was served we asked for kethup and it did not come until we were half way done and the fries were cold by then. The food was average.
- The Elms RestaurantalkcDined on 3/15/2014This was our first time at The Elms Hotel. We wanted to have a nice dining experience in the hotel where we were staying. The staff was very nice and did an excellent job serving our needs. The Hotel is beautiful and the atmosphere in the restaurant is very nice with a rich history of visits by President Roosevelt and Truman as well as some infamous people like Al Capone. There were several people in the restaurant and a large group ahead of us celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary dinner so it took a little longer to get our food but the wait was worth it. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable 50thcaptain2dinnerDined on 3/15/2014Great tool (Open table) for a special occasion with a couple of special requests. Appreciated the follow thru with staff. Great food , Good atmosphere and Very good memories at 88 the Elms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the menu did not reflect thefoodyDined on 3/15/2014the menu did not reflect the same items as their online menu and was very limited. The food was good but not great as was the entire dining experience.Special Features:
- Belated Valentine.NiteoutDined on 2/21/2014We had a night out at the Elms for belated Valentines. The restaurant was very nice with the fireplace but we sat in the main dining room and after being there discovered there is a more private upper section which I think I would recommend if your looking for a quiet romantic dinner as hotel guests attending conferences were frequenting the bar area which is not separated much from the main dining area. My wife had the rosemary chicken and I had the salmon on fettuccine, both of which were amazing. We would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elms Resort banking on reputationJharteDined on 2/15/2014Eighty Eight at the Elms is a very nice hotel restaurant, but very expensive. The menue has lots to choose from. The 5 course dinner will set you back $75/person while the 12oz steak with wedge potatoes will run you $30-$32/person. These may have been Valentine's Day weekend prices. The food was very good, cooked to perfection, and the service was excellent. All in all, for a romantic weekend getaway, we had a great time. We will probably not go back. Add the Eighty Eight restaurant and Elms Resort to the list of slightly over-priced, one-time experiences.Special Features:
- A Step Back In TimeKCFireMikeDined on 2/15/2014This very historic landmark is well worth the commute from Kansas City, This was our first time at Eighty Eight and it will not be our last. I wanted someone quiet and romantic for Valentine's Day and we hit a home run for both. The food was 5 Stars, and the service was excellent. The Elms has done a fantastic job of updating and modernizing 88 with HD TV's above the Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ServiceRomantic45Dined on 2/14/2014I want to go on record saying that our server Courtney was the GREATEST that i have ever had the oppertunity to be served by. She was very attentive to my wife and my needs for a romantic Valentine's day dinner. My only wish is that I was a rich man so I could have given her a HUGE TIP. PLEASE thank her for me.Special Features:
- Best dining experience everAndyshannelDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant was very romantic. I loved the fireplace. The waitress and service was exceptional. And the food and wine were some of the best we've ever had. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good little place to gochrisDined on 2/14/2014If you have never been to eighty eights at the elms, it is located in a historic hotel. Both the restaurant and the hotel are nice and the staff seems to be very service oriented. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BrittDined on 2/11/2014I was a little hesitant to dine here after reading some of the reviews. But I'm so glad I gave it a try! Everything was excellent. We ordered a bottle of their house wine which was very light and fruity. Our dinner was delicious, very fresh and full of flavor. The smoked kennebec potatoes were amazing. We even came back for lunch the next day and enjoyed every bite of again, a fresh and flavorful meal. The service was great, the ambiance was great, overall a great place. I look forward to dining here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceReannaYDined on 2/8/2014Our dinner at 88 at The Elms was delightful. The food was delicious and unique and the service was impeccable. Courtney, our server, was amazing and made the evening fabulous.Special Features:
- needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2014Sweet potatoes burn. Replacement potatoes were microwaved. Coffee was cold.
- perfectnathanDined on 1/25/2014We enjoyed a very wonderful meal in a beautiful and quiet room with the fireplace roaring. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- making a comebackOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/18/2014After a bad 6 months, the Eighty Eight is back on track with a new chef, FAR better food, and the potential to be a really great place to eat again. I am so happy to see young, talented and energetic Chef Jordan trying her wings with a new menu in the next couple of weeks. It promises to put the Elms back in the business of serving classic modern American cuisine. My pork shoulder was perfectly prepared, plated and seasoned. My friend's salmon was from the old menu but prepared and cooked properly, If you had a rough go of it in the past 6 months, give the Elms a chance to make it up to you...Service is always fantastic, and Patrick is an accomplished craftsman in the art of the Classic American Cocktail. A great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rated at the very bottom lTomsDined on 12/31/2013Not one good thing to say about the $100.00 per person New Years Meal the very bad service. Not one good thing to say. And then they have the AUTO Gratuity ( TIP ) $87.78 It is not the servers problem but the owners.
- Great renovation, nice mealeea1Dined on 12/28/2013Overall very good meal. Very pleasant, attentive waitress. Some of what we ordered was not available--the waitress told us that the menu was changing soon and the kitchen was out of a number of menu items. Two of us had salads--mine was made with very fresh greens, but overdressed for my taste. Our party had steaks (both nicely cooked to order), duck and pasta. My duck confit was cooked beautifully, but was a little salty for my taste. We also had a bottle of cabernet sauvignon chosen from a small but representative wine list. It's great to see the Elms renovated with a fine restaurant in such a small town--I hope there's enough business for them to keep it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, elegant restaurantPhantomDined on 12/25/2013If you are looking for ambiance that includes roaring fireplaces, dark woods, and lovely upholstery fabrics that reflect the arts & crafts movement, please consider the 88 at the Elms. It incorporates a sense of history with elegant "old world" dining. Come with an expectation of spending the evening. It is not "fast food" but it is well work the investment of time.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationmynameisnt4lettersDined on 12/17/20136 diners - we all were very pleased with Eighty Eight on all points. Definitely would return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2013The food was good, but the cost of the meal and wine was to much for this type of hotel. I would recommend going to local restaurant rather than the 88 it's too expensive.Special Features:
- ServiceBigGDined on 11/29/2013Service was outstanding. Our waitress was very friendly and joy to talk too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the waitlongwait4foodDined on 11/1/2013We had reservations at 6:15 and our server, Amanda, was at our table in no time to introduce herself and take our drink orders. We got our drinks and took a few minutes to look over the menu. After about 5 minutes we ordered. It took an hour to get our food and other patrons who got there after us had their food and some were even finished and left. Amanda apologized and said that there was a banquet and the kitchen wanted to get their food out. Not very good for us. Our food finally came and it was spectacular! Amanda apologized again and thanked us for being patient. It was worth the wait BUT, the timing definitely could have been a lot better in the kitchen. Getting our food in a timely manner would have made the perfect evening.Special Features:
- Dinner was AMAZING!redwoodDined on 10/26/2013We ate every bit of our dinner - my husband & I split the ribeye and it was by far one of the best steaks ever! The sides were amazing as well. We were very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.