1127 Pine St
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.effiesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2155928333
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Everything from our dinner menu is available for catering.
A word from Effie's Restaurant
Effie's Restaurant, a little townhouse located on Antique Row in Center City, is reminiscent of a Greek taverna. Specialties include grilled whole fish, octopus salad, famous lamb dishes, moussaka, and the best Greek salad in town! Join us for dinner to try our new menu items. We feature outdoor seating in our lovely garden area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Effie's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (37)romantic (26)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good ConsistencyfavoredVIPDined on 8/13/2014As an almost "regular" at Effie's, I find the atmosphere, food and service consistently good. The small space allows the staff to keep eyes on diner needs, such as replenishing water and pacing dish delivery and removal. The garden is a true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJKRafDined on 8/12/2014We have been to Effie's on a number of occasions and have had experiences ranging from satisfactory to very good. This was our least satisfying experience. The good was the quality of service. The meal was pre-theater and our waiter was attentive and sensitive to our time constraints (1 1/4 hours). The bad was the food. An appetizer of assorted shell fish in a tomato based sauce featured overcooked fish and a watery broth. The Greek salad lacked anything exciting. The main courses included overcooked flounder and mussels so mealy they were almost inedible. Had we more time we would have sent back multiple dishes.
- effies never disappointsphillybaerDined on 8/7/2014Love this place and the food. Always feel like I'm having dinner at a greek family's home...braised lamb was to die for...took my husband there for his birthday. Can't wait to go back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good.HappyDined on 8/6/2014This is our "go-to" neighborhood restaurant. We are always pleased with dinner - you can go from simple to complex, and it's byob.Special Features:
- Great ambiance but food is lackingPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The outside patio is excellent, cozy and not very loud. Service was attentive. The food left much to be desired. Everything was way over salted. Mussels were good. Zucchini chips were ok but greasy. Ingredients in pasta dish seemed canned/frozen. We were hoping this would be our new neighborhood spot, especially bc it is affordable, but sadly we won't be returning.Special Features:
- Still good after all these years!favoredVIPDined on 7/24/2014Effie's is a neighborhood star. Reliable food, friendly service, water glasses never empty and good value for money. After a few visits, guests are like family, which my guests and I appreciate. Laid back and quiet, both good things here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In honor of my Greek brother in lawJkraziDined on 7/23/2014This BYOB Greek restaurant was recommended as one of the best Greek restaurants for authentic Greek food. My wife and I took my sister there to celebrate her 60th. Her Greek spouse had just passed away this year. She has had homemade Greek food both cooked by her husband and when visiting his homeland for 40 years and she just loved Effies.!!!! From the moment we introduced ourselves to the young server Phillipeous(?) our dining was very fun, interesting and delicious!!!!! The octopus salad was out of this world, as were the lamb ribs.Special Features:
- Brought me right back to GreeceKehayezeeDined on 7/15/2014We had high expectations for Effie's from the get-go; walking by, it looked exactly like the typical Greek cafe we frequented when spending the summer in Greece years ago. The food knocked it out of the park, bringing us right back to those lazy evenings on the mediterranean. The staff showed typical Greek hospitality, insisting on complimentary dessert, even though we ended up boxing up half of our meal because the appetizers were so tasty! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Loved it!PhilipDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I went for a nice dinner this past Saturday. Service was fast and everyone was very friendly. A nice, family-run place. The hummus trio and grilled feta were excellent appetizers, and the lamb entre was great. They also gave us a lovely dessert on the house to share. Would highly recommend! Prices are very reasonable, and plenty of outdoor seating for the summer. Also great for groups as they have an upstairs area that seats ~20 for a private party.Special Features:
- Great grilled fetapeachDined on 6/28/2014I came back to this spot for the grilled feta appetizer, which did not disappoint. Veggie Moussaka was also very tasty, melted in your mouth. Others at the table ordered grilled salmon, which they would not order again. It had obviously been frozen before, and just did not taste fresh. I would recommend this spot greatly for Greek food. Desert was great also. Note, the portions are not huge, but very sufficient. Outside seating under trees is on a quiet street, hardly any cards passing by, which was nice.Special Features:
- Atmosphere beautifulkanellaDined on 6/10/2014your waiter Philippe was excellent. Kept our water glasses full and was right there with whatever we needed. we had the chicken stuffed with feta and spinach, fantastic. your zucchini chips best in the city. The saganiki browned to perfection.Special Features:
- WimmieVIPDined on 6/9/2014The meal was good but never as good as our first time at the restaurant.
- WimmieVIPDined on 6/7/2014Previosly the food was very excellent here. This time the fish was overcooked and the ribs were all fat.
- Always good food.HappyDined on 6/6/2014This is one of our "go to" restaurants when we just want a sure meal. However, the last few times we've been in front room, which is ok except when there are large groups. Then, hard to even have a conversation of our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Wonderful!AnniVIPDined on 6/4/2014We just love the food and atmosphere there...excellent octopus, fresh fish, appetizers......great service.Special Features:
- Good Food, Not so good ambiencegreekfoodaddictDined on 6/3/2014All the food we ordered was pretty good! The Greek sausage was delicious. We were the only ones in the restaurant on a Tuesday at 6:00. There is nothing special about the decor or ambiance in the restaurant, just looks like an old townhouse converted into a dining room with maybe 5 simple dining tables - no other special touches.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood findSusanDined on 5/30/2014Four of us had dinner on a Friday night. What a delightful evening. The service stood out: warm, fun, gracious. The shared appetizers were terrific though we all would have preferred that the mussels be served in their shells. Mains were enjoyed by all. All four of us are of an age and culture which demands low noise levels so that we can dine and converse. Excellent on both counts. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WimmieVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is a superior neighborhood place. The food is outstanding and very well prepared. It is truly a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDiner1VIPDined on 5/15/2014Effie's always pleases. Food is terrific, the owner is friendly, the staff works hard - you feel as if you are a guest in the owner's home. A "go to" place for many years and never disappoints.Special Features:
- AccommodatingPhillygirlDined on 5/13/2014We had an informal business meeting here on a Tuesday evening. They set us up in a separate room and provided great service. Everyone really enjoyed the food and the vibe.Special Features:
- The following 47 reviews are from the Effie's Restaurant reviews archive.
- good not greathungryVIPDined on 4/26/2014This is good food. They have a limited menu and were told we could not sit downstairs even though no tables were taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait!daltoDined on 4/19/2014We had an 8 pm reservation for a party of four. Unfortunately, the previous diners occupying our table showed no signs of leaving, even though they had finished eating and were simply sitting there talking over a 1.5 liter bottle of wine. We were told they had been there for 2 1/2 hours already! In a small BYOB, table turnover is critical and I wish more patrons understood that it is not fair to the next patrons nor the restaurant to hold a table for so long. However, since it was a lovely spring evening, we were able to sit outside on the bench and enjoy our wine until the table was ready, almost an hour after our reservation. But everything was worth waiting for, including the amazing roasted beets with garlic.Special Features:
- Great Dinnercasualdiner11Dined on 4/17/2014My friend and I really enjoyed our dinner. Both the food and service were great!
- Great food, fun nightJrodinerDined on 4/12/2014The good was great. The cucumber And tomato salad was awesome!!! Service was good a d we had a great night. Prices reasonable as wellI would recommend this to a friend.
- how nice was the owner?SimkenVIPDined on 4/12/2014We were part of the family at this homey center city cozy spot. The owner could not have been friendlier or more generous. We wound up ordering lots of extras as a result, and would go back in a second.Special Features:
- Great mealSheilaDined on 4/10/2014We went here pre-theater. The food was very good; some typical greek favorites, along with specials I.e. Bronzino. We were well satisfied with two appetizers and two entrees (for three of us). The waitress overheard that it was my birthday, and gave each of us a free dessert. This is a great, moderately-priced place to eat.Special Features:
- Loved the Food!MelMelDined on 4/5/2014The food was amazing, the service was great! Authentic, delicious Greek cuisine--Bring Your Own Bottle, 'cause they just serve water. We loved the atmosphere. We were seated in the second floor diningroom area and it got loud for a bit, but nothing too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerjacintVIPDined on 4/5/2014Went for a pre-theater dinner and was reminded how good the food is. Nice selection, well-served - and my particular favorite Mediterranean fish, Dorade, prepared perfectly. Being a BYO makes this a really good value restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014Never a bad experience here! Whether on a romantic date or with a large group it's always a great time, and byob you can't beat itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was okayK5146Dined on 3/28/2014The food was great, but our waitress was not. She was on her phone across the room the entire time and left us with no water. The people next to us came in after us and had a male waiter (whom I've had before and is wonderful). They ordered first and got their food first.Special Features:
- Surprise discoverytrishDined on 3/28/2014The restaurant itself is a modest and bare bones café. But the service was homey, friendly and attentive. It was the food that really stood out. Fabulous. Not everything was as my grandmother made it or as it might be in a seaside Greek taverna - but it was just as good. I am half Greek, married a Greek and have spend a lot of time in Greece. If you can't be there. Go to Effie's. It is also very reasonably priced. Don't forget to bring your own wine. Best, TSpecial Features:
- a Phila favoriteNancyDined on 3/27/2014Wonderful classic Greek comfort food. Generous portions, friendly service. Wish it was near my house! Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on a cold eveningcybilDined on 2/22/2014If you go on a cold evening, ask for a table in the main dining area or upstairs, at least if you are readily chilled. The small room that is in the back of the restaurant, off of their courtyard, was too chilly for me on a 40 degree night, despite their wall mounted electric heater. The room was full and the double French style doors were frequently opening for the wait staff to take and deliver orders. The food and service were great, even on a night that was short staffed. We would go back on a warm night, and probably want to sit in the same area which was attractive in decor and coziness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood BYOSteveVIPDined on 2/21/2014It feels like you're entering someone's home, with an open kitchen and two dining floors crammed into a narrow townhouse. It's on a street corner so you do have the front and sides open to the street. Greek dishes - we had a whole fish and a lamb shank - were very good. The eggplant appetizer was spreadable on fresh and warm pita. Definitely recommended, but not what I'd call a "destination" restaurant (see Estia for that!).
- We had a great Valentine'sAdrienneVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a great Valentine's Day weekend dinner here--the food was fantastic, but the service felt a little rushed. It really felt like they were trying to get rid of us...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well made Turkish FoodDmleatVIPDined on 2/15/2014Appetizers: ordered the hot appetizers for the table - each well made and beautifully spiced - dough crispy and the fillings rich They serve a good Malbec by the glass - goes well with this food. Main Courses: Lamb Shishkabab - cooked perfectly - Bulger Wheat and Red Cabbage Slaw accompanied - excellent Vegetarian Pizza was abundant and richly filled for one of my guests. No deserts ordered but those that passed our table looked delicious and I was told they are home-made. This restaurant is a find. the service is a little slow and a bit confused (language problems) - but they aim to please. All in all a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek Charm on Pine StreetBillMcCDined on 2/14/2014You can always count on Effie's to gave a great meal served to you at a pace that you can determine. The food is always delicious and tonight was no exception. The staff is very friendly and attentive, and it made the meal a truly pleasant one,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- needs updatebobbyboyDined on 1/19/2014We haven't been to Effies for a few years, and we tried it before theatre on a Sunday. It was still the same as before--starting to look a little old. Food was good, nothing fancy, but we knew that. There are so many other choices in the area, but for just good basic greek food it get's it done. Whole fish was great. Not overpriced, but not cheap.I would say fair value.Special Features:
- Wonderful little spotPhillyPamDined on 1/18/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal, and chose " typical" dishes and one lamb special. Everything was a wonderful as we remembered experiencing in Greece. The wait staff were attentive and engaging. We plan to return in warmer weather when we can enjoy the patio. BYOB is a bonus!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014It was my first time there and loved the customer service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.