1127 Pine St
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.effiesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2155928333
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Everything from our dinner menu is available for catering.
A word from Effie's Restaurant
Effie's Restaurant, a little townhouse located on Antique Row in Center City, is reminiscent of a Greek taverna. Specialties include grilled whole fish, octopus salad, famous lamb dishes, moussaka, and the best Greek salad in town! Join us for dinner to try our new menu items. We feature outdoor seating in our lovely garden area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Effie's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Effie's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)great for outdoor dining (34)romantic (25)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Food tastes so fresh!Ajh714VIPDined on 10/24/2014Had a lovely dinner here! Everything was so good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just got back from SantoriniKennyKDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon and were fiending for some cheese saganaki. We went through menus of notable greek restaurants in the philly and found out that Effie's had it. Reservations soon followed. My wife had eaten at Effie's once before. This was my first time. Whenever I try a greek restaurant for the first time I end up getting a gyro platter. I feel like its good insight into that restaurant. The platter at Effies was awesome. The gyro didnt seem carved off a spit, but it also didn't have the consistency of frozen gyro. The strips really felt home made. Also, it appears that Effie's is a secret bachelorette party spot, as 3 different large groups of girls rolled in during our meal. A+Special Features:
- Fair, just fairBKmomVIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was ok. Fish and vegetables were very over cooked. Food was very mediocre. They got the order wrong. At the last minute they decided they couldn't take credit cards, even though they do, according to their site- very annoying. There are much better Greek and Mediterranean restaurants in town. Prices were actually too high for what you got. Skip it.
- Excellent Greek foodJazzdrumsDined on 10/11/2014Effie's is still one of the top Greek restaurants in the area. The staff is welcoming, and the food first rate. There's nothing like a Dorado flown in from the Mediterranean and prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this neighborhood gem.DocBVIPDined on 10/3/2014If I had a Yaya I think this is what it it's like to eat at her place, BYOB. OpahSpecial Features:
- Always tasty.HappyDined on 9/29/2014The fresh squid was great; we were early, so limited diners and relatively quiet. When packed, Effie's can be noisy.
- LiliaVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was good and very reasonably priced. It took a while for the server to take our order, which didn't bother me because I was in no rush. Then when we were done we put down our credit cards and no one was taking them so we poured ourselves another glass of wine. A lady who I believe is the owner came up to our table and told us we have to leave because there was someone waiting for our table. Meanwhile there were plenty of open tables inside and she could have just taken our payment without saying a word since we were waiting to pay anyway and would have left. I won't be returning, especially since I was there a month before and they would not let us pay with credit card claiming they were cash only even though they are notSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and Delicious!MarisaCristineDined on 9/17/2014I chose Effie's based on a recommendation from a friend. I wanted to surprise my boyfriend with a nice date since he travels up here regularly from Texas. At first he wasn't sold on Greek but once he tried the Dolmades and stuffed peppers he loved it!! The food was absolutely delicious. We made a reservation and sat out in the courtyard which had string lights and a very romantic vibe. Our server was also great and very engaging. The cherry on top of the whole experience was the dessert that brought out to us; Phyllo with a really good custard-type filling. My boyfriend hasn't stopping talking about it. I would recommend this place VERY highly! ps. it's BYOB. who doesn't love that??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Effie's at 11th & PineMorelSuperiorityDined on 9/13/2014simple, understated, family-run byob with straightforward greek & greek-influenced dishes. we had excellent Spanakopita; unembellished flounder with potatoes & spinach (all tasty if not transporting); and Effies Chicken (grilled chicken with sauteed mushroom, scallions, butter white wine sauce) served with rice and a vegetable medley that was unspectacular. the chicken was tender and the sauce excellent. we plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFan18VIPDined on 8/30/2014Effie's was a pleasant surprise close to the theater. It was a short walk to see the show and we never felt rushed. Delicious Greek salad and complementary dessert.Special Features:
- Romantic Outdoor ambianceRomanticDined on 8/29/2014Great outdoor seating in a little courtyard. Delicious specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ConsistencyfavoredVIPDined on 8/13/2014As an almost "regular" at Effie's, I find the atmosphere, food and service consistently good. The small space allows the staff to keep eyes on diner needs, such as replenishing water and pacing dish delivery and removal. The garden is a true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJKRafDined on 8/12/2014We have been to Effie's on a number of occasions and have had experiences ranging from satisfactory to very good. This was our least satisfying experience. The good was the quality of service. The meal was pre-theater and our waiter was attentive and sensitive to our time constraints (1 1/4 hours). The bad was the food. An appetizer of assorted shell fish in a tomato based sauce featured overcooked fish and a watery broth. The Greek salad lacked anything exciting. The main courses included overcooked flounder and mussels so mealy they were almost inedible. Had we more time we would have sent back multiple dishes.
- effies never disappointsphillybaerDined on 8/7/2014Love this place and the food. Always feel like I'm having dinner at a greek family's home...braised lamb was to die for...took my husband there for his birthday. Can't wait to go back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good.HappyDined on 8/6/2014This is our "go-to" neighborhood restaurant. We are always pleased with dinner - you can go from simple to complex, and it's byob.Special Features:
- Great ambiance but food is lackingPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The outside patio is excellent, cozy and not very loud. Service was attentive. The food left much to be desired. Everything was way over salted. Mussels were good. Zucchini chips were ok but greasy. Ingredients in pasta dish seemed canned/frozen. We were hoping this would be our new neighborhood spot, especially bc it is affordable, but sadly we won't be returning.Special Features:
- Still good after all these years!favoredVIPDined on 7/24/2014Effie's is a neighborhood star. Reliable food, friendly service, water glasses never empty and good value for money. After a few visits, guests are like family, which my guests and I appreciate. Laid back and quiet, both good things here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In honor of my Greek brother in lawJkraziDined on 7/23/2014This BYOB Greek restaurant was recommended as one of the best Greek restaurants for authentic Greek food. My wife and I took my sister there to celebrate her 60th. Her Greek spouse had just passed away this year. She has had homemade Greek food both cooked by her husband and when visiting his homeland for 40 years and she just loved Effies.!!!! From the moment we introduced ourselves to the young server Phillipeous(?) our dining was very fun, interesting and delicious!!!!! The octopus salad was out of this world, as were the lamb ribs.Special Features:
- Brought me right back to GreeceKehayezeeDined on 7/15/2014We had high expectations for Effie's from the get-go; walking by, it looked exactly like the typical Greek cafe we frequented when spending the summer in Greece years ago. The food knocked it out of the park, bringing us right back to those lazy evenings on the mediterranean. The staff showed typical Greek hospitality, insisting on complimentary dessert, even though we ended up boxing up half of our meal because the appetizers were so tasty! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Loved it!PhilipDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I went for a nice dinner this past Saturday. Service was fast and everyone was very friendly. A nice, family-run place. The hummus trio and grilled feta were excellent appetizers, and the lamb entre was great. They also gave us a lovely dessert on the house to share. Would highly recommend! Prices are very reasonable, and plenty of outdoor seating for the summer. Also great for groups as they have an upstairs area that seats ~20 for a private party.Special Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the Effie's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great grilled fetapeachDined on 6/28/2014I came back to this spot for the grilled feta appetizer, which did not disappoint. Veggie Moussaka was also very tasty, melted in your mouth. Others at the table ordered grilled salmon, which they would not order again. It had obviously been frozen before, and just did not taste fresh. I would recommend this spot greatly for Greek food. Desert was great also. Note, the portions are not huge, but very sufficient. Outside seating under trees is on a quiet street, hardly any cards passing by, which was nice.Special Features:
- Atmosphere beautifulkanellaDined on 6/10/2014your waiter Philippe was excellent. Kept our water glasses full and was right there with whatever we needed. we had the chicken stuffed with feta and spinach, fantastic. your zucchini chips best in the city. The saganiki browned to perfection.Special Features:
- WimmieVIPDined on 6/9/2014The meal was good but never as good as our first time at the restaurant.
- WimmieVIPDined on 6/7/2014Previosly the food was very excellent here. This time the fish was overcooked and the ribs were all fat.
- Always good food.HappyDined on 6/6/2014This is one of our "go to" restaurants when we just want a sure meal. However, the last few times we've been in front room, which is ok except when there are large groups. Then, hard to even have a conversation of our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Wonderful!AnniVIPDined on 6/4/2014We just love the food and atmosphere there...excellent octopus, fresh fish, appetizers......great service.Special Features:
- Good Food, Not so good ambiencegreekfoodaddictDined on 6/3/2014All the food we ordered was pretty good! The Greek sausage was delicious. We were the only ones in the restaurant on a Tuesday at 6:00. There is nothing special about the decor or ambiance in the restaurant, just looks like an old townhouse converted into a dining room with maybe 5 simple dining tables - no other special touches.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood findSusanDined on 5/30/2014Four of us had dinner on a Friday night. What a delightful evening. The service stood out: warm, fun, gracious. The shared appetizers were terrific though we all would have preferred that the mussels be served in their shells. Mains were enjoyed by all. All four of us are of an age and culture which demands low noise levels so that we can dine and converse. Excellent on both counts. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WimmieVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is a superior neighborhood place. The food is outstanding and very well prepared. It is truly a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDiner1VIPDined on 5/15/2014Effie's always pleases. Food is terrific, the owner is friendly, the staff works hard - you feel as if you are a guest in the owner's home. A "go to" place for many years and never disappoints.Special Features:
- AccommodatingPhillygirlDined on 5/13/2014We had an informal business meeting here on a Tuesday evening. They set us up in a separate room and provided great service. Everyone really enjoyed the food and the vibe.Special Features:
- good not greathungryVIPDined on 4/26/2014This is good food. They have a limited menu and were told we could not sit downstairs even though no tables were taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait!daltoVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had an 8 pm reservation for a party of four. Unfortunately, the previous diners occupying our table showed no signs of leaving, even though they had finished eating and were simply sitting there talking over a 1.5 liter bottle of wine. We were told they had been there for 2 1/2 hours already! In a small BYOB, table turnover is critical and I wish more patrons understood that it is not fair to the next patrons nor the restaurant to hold a table for so long. However, since it was a lovely spring evening, we were able to sit outside on the bench and enjoy our wine until the table was ready, almost an hour after our reservation. But everything was worth waiting for, including the amazing roasted beets with garlic.Special Features:
- Great Dinnercasualdiner11Dined on 4/17/2014My friend and I really enjoyed our dinner. Both the food and service were great!
- Great food, fun nightJrodinerDined on 4/12/2014The good was great. The cucumber And tomato salad was awesome!!! Service was good a d we had a great night. Prices reasonable as wellI would recommend this to a friend.
- how nice was the owner?SimkenVIPDined on 4/12/2014We were part of the family at this homey center city cozy spot. The owner could not have been friendlier or more generous. We wound up ordering lots of extras as a result, and would go back in a second.Special Features:
- Great mealSheilaDined on 4/10/2014We went here pre-theater. The food was very good; some typical greek favorites, along with specials I.e. Bronzino. We were well satisfied with two appetizers and two entrees (for three of us). The waitress overheard that it was my birthday, and gave each of us a free dessert. This is a great, moderately-priced place to eat.Special Features:
- Loved the Food!MelMelDined on 4/5/2014The food was amazing, the service was great! Authentic, delicious Greek cuisine--Bring Your Own Bottle, 'cause they just serve water. We loved the atmosphere. We were seated in the second floor diningroom area and it got loud for a bit, but nothing too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerjacintVIPDined on 4/5/2014Went for a pre-theater dinner and was reminded how good the food is. Nice selection, well-served - and my particular favorite Mediterranean fish, Dorade, prepared perfectly. Being a BYO makes this a really good value restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2014Never a bad experience here! Whether on a romantic date or with a large group it's always a great time, and byob you can't beat itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.