484 Eglinton Ave. West
Toronto, ON M5N 1A5Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.edosushi.com/
- Phone: 4163223033
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday & Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ryo Ozawa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Takeout
- Entertainment: JAZZ NIGHT on every Thursday.
Please come in and join us!
A word from EDO
EDO was first opened at its original location in 1986 in mid-town Toronto, serving authentic Japanese cuisine. Although sushi became the most broadly known and accepted part of the menu, prides itself on its full offering of traditional Japanese flavours done in a contemporary style. EDO also conducts cooking classes, which include the making, history, etiquette and culture of sushi. Chef Specials include Oh-Makase (Chefs’ Choice) with advance notice and Kaiseki for special occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
EDO reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (6)romantic (6)special occasion (6)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great!FoodieDined on 8/23/2014Overall it was a very good place to eat. We had the shrimp and vegetable tempura which were nice and crispy but could have had a tad bit more seasoning to them. We also had the black dragon roll and spyder roll, which were delicious. The rolls were a good size and seemed fresh. Our servers were attentive, multicultural, nice and helpful.Special Features:
- YUM!!tetianatorontoVIPDined on 8/8/2014Everything was amazing. Not going to lie, booked it for the 1000 points but was extremely pleasantly surprised. Try the veggie gyoza!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoint mecatlovermimiDined on 7/19/2014Their food is fantastic, service is awesome. Chef Ryo's menu never disappoint me. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SummerliciousIanADined on 7/19/2014Probably the best Summerlicious menu we have had in a number of years.Special Features:
- Loved it!RitzceeDined on 7/17/2014Everything about this restaurant was perfect from the caring, attentive service to the delicious, fresh food. I hesitate to call the food at this restaurant "fusion." Instead, I would say it's a traditional Japanese restaurant with a modern twist. Very innovative and wonderful food combinations. Would highly recommend it!Special Features:
- differentsnowdropDined on 7/13/2014went for summerlicious. the dishes were very creative and delicious. Very fresh sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 103 reviews are from the EDO reviews archive.
- slow service is a problem stilljulianryanVIPDined on 2/22/2014I came here when it first opened around 1995 or perhaps later and it was a huge hit. At one time the owner and chef even had an upscale Japanese restaurant downtown, I think on Adelaide, which was really good, but it closed all too soon. My wife and I had many romantic memories of Edo so we thought to give it a try again, some years after slow service had turned us off the place, and it was as slow as it's ever been. The tables near us were just as annoyed and kept asking the poor server. It was obvious she was accustomed to the complaint, she had answers for everything. A more important table than us had the owner visit them to appease them. So I wouldn't recommend it unless you go on off hours, when possibly service will be a bit better.
- Fresh, tasty and great atmosphereDeanna8585Dined on 2/16/2014Went with a group of 6 people. We were sat straight away and the service was relatively quick. We weren't sure why the sashimi came out at the same time as the appetizers and before the sushi. Regardless, all of the food was fresh and tasted incredible. This restaurant is easily a family favourite and we will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall well, but could be improvedMelmelDined on 7/17/2013We ate the Summerlicious dinner menu for 4. The food is well made and the service is very well done. However it seems the air conditioning was broken (or malfunctioning), which distracted the dining experience as we have to fan ourselves between courses. We booked at 6:15pm (which is the earliest until 8:45), but throughout the dinner up until we left at 8:30, the resturant was barely half-full, makes me wonder if they are subtly trying to deter diners using this site (or summerlicious diners?) to reserve seats for the prime dinner hours. My father ordered the steakloin main dish and he find the meat portion too small, but for the rest of us choosing the tempura one it's enough. Not sure if I planned to return outside of summerlicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what restaurants need to learnchavalaDined on 7/17/2013People on a diet should not have to be punished by not being able to dine with friends. Chefs who iare 'artists' fail to accommodate a large % of our population - primarily women. I had a dinner planned with my friend and did not want to cancel because I was on a diet. I called Edo in advance and they were very reassuring on the phone. When we arrived, I ordered food not exactly as described on the menu. The chef went out of his/her way to make my plate attractive, inviting and delicious. The wait staff were pleasant and great at understanding my order. My friend, who is Kosher, and I who live downtown, have been looking for a restaurant between Dundas and Wilson that would meet the needs of both of us. EDO is the first to succeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summerlicious 2013 MealCiciPieDined on 7/14/2013I visited this restaurant for dinner and left underwhelmed. The restaurant was understaffed so often we were impatient waiting for attention from our waitress. The food was decent but not memorable.Special Features:
- amazingmikeDined on 7/13/2013my friend and i had summerlicious lunch menu $20. from appetizers to desserts, everything taste great. they have vegetarian choice for sushi rolls and main salads. it was our first visit at edo though, now we definitely want to come back again for dinner. try early our for weekend lunch, you might be able to avoid the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2013Had this place for Summerlicious and it is absolutely amazing! Every dish was very delicious and presentation of food was beautiful. The waitress also explained each dish to us, which was a nice touch. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gold medal chef proves his craftQForVVIPDined on 7/10/2013Terrific meal at Edo, server gave excellent explanation of each course.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2013We tried the summerlicious menu. The dishes were all elegantly prepared and our meal was brought out fairly quickly. We would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Overall a let downOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2013EDO presents as a fine dining restaurant, but the overall experience is mediocre at best. The menu was interesting a few years ago but while many other Japanese fusion restaurants have mushroomed and taken off in interesting and evolved directions, EDO's menu seems to have remained stagnant and unchanging. The service is also surprisingly pedestrian and unpolished. It wasn't an awful evening, but you can have a much more satisfying experience and meal at other establishments around the city.
- Consistently pleasingSuEeDined on 5/2/2013Edo has been around forever- for good reason. It is consistently good sushi. The salmon must be the freshest in the city making sashimi orders a safe and enjoyable bet. Terrific seaweed salad. Rolls are good. Really like the spicy tuna and salmon. There are specialties offered that we have tried that were enjoyable like tuna tataki although most of the time we stick to the regular menu. Ambience could use some work. The place probably is due for a reno (their Edo ko location just got one). They've tried having live music but it felt intrusive and too loud. Notwithstanding that, it is still pleasant to sit at the tables by the windows at night. Service is always attentive (esp Elena). Not inexpensive though, try Bloor St for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sushi/sashimi/etc is consistentEllenZDined on 4/23/2013The sushi/sashimi/etc is consistently good, but not great.
- Another fabulous dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/9/2013Another fabulous dinner at Edo. I sat at the sushi bar with my 6 year old daughter and she had the best time conversing with Kei the sushi chef. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- Excellent food, awesome serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/24/2013Excellent food, awesome service staff. When it is busy, it just takes too long to get the food. This is a constant problem. However, we love it so much we still go almost once a week!Special Features:
- Sushi was good but chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2013Sushi was good but chicken teriyaki dry,(and charge extra for white meat) shrimp dish small portion. Very expensive for mediocre food.
- Edo has wonderful and interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2013Edo has wonderful and interesting Japanese food, and fantastic service. We started with the spinach and shrimp dumplings, which were simple and delightful. The unagi(eel) "wave" roll and a special of tuna tartare were both unusual and enjoyable. The sushi (nigiri) and several other rolls didn't disappoint. Edo even accommodated our unusual beverage request. We look forward to returning to this great spot.Special Features:
- What isn't great about EDO?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2013What isn't great about EDO? This will have been my third time at this restaurant for Winter-/Summerlicious. Each time is unique and, even so, the dishes served seem to have been prepared with such high standards. Great care is placed into each dish. The serving staff were kind and amicable to myself and my guests. I will certainly be returning!Special Features:
- My friends and I enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2013My friends and I enjoyed the food, service and had a wonderful evening. Thank you very much!Special Features:
- Our first EDO experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/31/2013Our first EDO experience was spectacular. Kudos to the creative chef and EDO's incredible flavour combinations. Every course was more outstanding than the previous one. All staff was personable, professional and very friendly. Ambiance was comfortable yet interesting. I would recommend EDO to anyone, friends, family, colleagues, couples,professionals entertaining clients, or anyone out for a special treat for themselves.Special Features:
- Service is too slow, it isstephDined on 1/30/2013Service is too slow, it is probably because they serve customers who order from their regular menu first and their winterlicious customers second.Special Features:
- Good food, although it hasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2013Good food, although it hasn't been as good as it used to be. Service could be improved; water could be filled in a more timely fashion (and ideally without having to ask), and please eliminate the tip line if gratuities are applied automatically even for a party of two. You can either ask for a discretionary tip and customers may tip more or less than 15 based on service, or charge a standard 15%. Asking for both is rather audacious.Special Features:
- Food was really deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012Food was really delicious as always. But I felt seasonal signature menu was more expensive than before. As I was still hungry when I finished all dishes I ordered, I had the dessert. Overall, it made me feel that I should have gone to Izakaya(Japanese pubstyle restaurant) instead.Special Features:
- Live music!! Great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/5/2012We decided to eat at Edo and discovered live Jazz on Thursday nights. It was great.Special Features:
- The end of a 20-year traditionMiriamDined on 11/17/2012For the past 20 years a friend and I have celebrated our birthdays together at Edo - one night hers, another night mine. Faithfully for 20 years! The food is consistently good, but we have noticed a deterioration in the service. Two visits ago the restaurant was reasonably busy, but the wait for our food was totally unreasonable. When sweet potato fries finally arrived, it was COLD. Unacceptable. We spoke to the manager, but nothing was done to compensate for this. On our recent visit, I could not get a table for 7pm (although the restaurant was only 1/2 full), and the service was so slow we have decided never to return. There are lots of excellent sushi restaurants with much better service. The end of a 20-year tradition.
- We got a little bit of everythingMexDDined on 9/8/2012We got a little bit of everything which was good to try but was cheap. Me and my GF both started with a soup which was normal and i also got a small green salad which was just some iceberg lettuces with there house sauce on the side. Next the beef carpaccio came out it was ok nothing specail i feel like the pieces were too big not thin enough. After that the Sweet Potato fries came out which were great. Then came our Sushi we got 3 rolls: Spicy Butterfish which was excellent, a King Crab roll which disappointed me because of the lettuces in the roll and a Spider Roll which was also excellent. The last 2 thing we got were Entrees which was the Grilled Sea Bass and Mushroom risotto which were both excellent.Special Features:
- Our last Edo experience wasmichDined on 8/29/2012Our last Edo experience was disappointing - which is surprising as we are there very frequently. The service was slow (took 40 minutes for salad and edamame) but the food was as tasty as ever! We will continue our loyalty to the restaurant, but take caution - dont go If you have time restraints.Special Features:
- One of our favorite sushiGoodDined on 8/3/2012One of our favorite sushi restaurants. Food is always very fresh. Great avacado salad.Special Features:
- food was excellent. neverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2012food was excellent. never had such interesting flavours at a japanese restaurant. presentation was top notch. only thing bad was that the food took a really long time to come. meal was over 2 hours for mostly just waiting for the next mealSpecial Features:
- summerlicious 2012OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2012This is classified as Japanese Fine Dining, so the atmosphere was definitely fitting for special occasions or a romantic date. I tried the House Sake, which was actually my first experience in Sake ever. I didn't end up finishing it because I found it to be way too strong for my taste. My favourite course off the Summerlicious menu was dessert: Green Tea tiramisu. I love almost anything green tea flavoured. I wish there had been a bigger serving of this! I could tell that our waiter was very new. He was nice, but he was a little awkward at some points and made a few mistakes. It seemed that he had good support from the rest of the staff, so that made it better.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2012I tried the restaurant for the first time for their Summerlicious menu and it was so good that I went back a few days later! Everything was so tasty, delicate and volume of food was just right. Their Kamo Soba and Green Tea Tiramisu were the best! Service was a bit rough which is not what I'd have expected from a Japanese restaurant but the server was pleasant. The restaurant was packed but we were still able to maintain conversation without screaming at each other. I cannot wait to go back and try their regular menu!Special Features:
- This will have been our thirdOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2012This will have been our third time dining at Edo. Even though we come during summer- and winterlicious events, they are nothing but brilliantly polite and kind. The service is well-spread out and I simply adore the explanations of everything that goes into the plate that is put before me. Nothing but a pleasure to dine with them and would do so again without hesitationSpecial Features:
- Amazing food with great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2012Amazing food with great service. Would definitely recommend EDO.Special Features:
- We had a really great timeLady01Dined on 7/19/2012We had a really great time - first time too. We have every intention of going back too.Special Features:
- The food was great, so wasMaggieDined on 7/19/2012The food was great, so was our waitress,definitely to go back again. Only thing that bothered me,I had reservations and I wanted to be seated by the window I was told by the hostess it was already reserved, nobody came for 1 hour after I got there. I think you should be able to sit wherever you want if it's free when you arrive. I found the restaurant a bit too dark too, except for the few tables by the window.Special Features: