Edible Canada at the Market
1596 Johnston Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Edible Canada at the Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ediblecanada.com/
- Phone: 6046826681x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Late Night Libations:
Sunday - Thursday: 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Executive Chef: Eric Pateman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Edible Canada and Savoury Chef Foods Catering have come together to provide exemplary full service catering services for your event. Utilizing the freshest local foodstuffs, we create seasonal and sustainable menus for private events – from 2 to 2000 people. With decades of combined experience between our principals, and our commitment to providing you the highest quality ingredients and experience possible, you can relax and enjoy your special event.
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy the best of Edible Canada in your own private dining room - one unlike any other in the province. In the heart of Granville Island, our unique and contemporary glass-walled space contains a state - of - the - art demonstration kitchen, full audio visual capabilities and long fir tables.
- Private Party Contact: Caitlin Sharman 6045580040
- Entertainment: At our popular Market Dinners, guests enjoy a multicourse seasonally inspired dinner prepared right in front of your eyes. Our sommelier chooses select and often rare BC and Canadian wine, beer and spirits to pair with your meal, and guests are offered a 10% discount in the Edible Canada Retail Store and on future tours booked at the event. Since the goal of the evening is just to relax and enjoy the experience, we will email you a copy of the recipes and wine pairings from the night
- Cross Street: Anderson Street
- Public Transit: #50 False Creek
False Creek Ferry
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a mix of paid and free parking on Granville Island. Edible Canada has recently partnered with Powertech to install the first Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Level 2 charger on Granville Island.
Free Parking after 7pm.
A word from Edible Canada at the Market
Edible Canada at the Market is a full service bistro, focusing on new Canadian cuisine. Unpretentious, welcoming and accessible, we celebrate the best food, wine, beer and spirits from across Canada. Our open kitchen, 150 seat bistro features a private dining space, expansive patio and take-out window for tasty bites and Salt Spring Coffee to go. We are open daily for lunch and dinner, plus weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Edible Canada at the Market - Best Restaurants in Granville Island ›
Edible Canada at the Market reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (106)fit for foodies (104)great for brunch (79)neighborhood gem (77)great for lunch (72)good for groups (51)special occasion (41)kid-friendly (41)hot spot (37)notable wine list (24)scenic view (20)romantic (16)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Great service. Presentation of food is great. Friendly environment. Good selection of salts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This dining experience was every bit as delicious as I had hoped (and read about). I had the duck rilette and half a chicken à la Montreal (whatever it had to do with that city I'm still not sure on) plus chocolate and eggplant desert. Everything from the food to the craft beer to the service was excellent. Highly recommended...Special Features:
- Loved it!foodieDined on 10/17/2014We had a delicious meal before heading off to the play at the Arts Club Theatre. The food came hot and was nicely arranged on the plate. The place is unpretentious and the food is scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Natural flavoursTMP9Dined on 10/15/2014The chef here relies upon the natural flavours of the ingredients with very little (if any!) additional seasonings, oils, herbs - all those things that seem to be used almost to excess in many restaurants. It was very enjoyable - for a change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMRLRDined on 10/15/2014Edible Canada consistently provides a wonderful dining experience. Food is constantly high quality and the service is wonderful! Don't miss an opportunity to experience dining at Edible Canada!Special Features:
- BC cuisine at it's bestSonyaDined on 10/13/2014This gem in the heart of Granville Island is a must for locals & tourists. The brunch menu was delicious! Love that they source out the best of the Seasons locally fresh ingredients, and the presentation is beautiful. The Mimosa's & the Maple Bacon Caesar was a big hit with our guest from San Francisco. I would recommend anything on the menu with a side of Duck Fat Frites!! simply delectable! See you soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always: perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Our favorite restaurant in Vancouver, we are never disappointed. Great food, friendly and professional staff, beautiful place. Thanks once again for this beautiful experience!Special Features:
- Excellent Food but LoudcheespleasesDined on 10/7/2014This was my first time at Edible Canada at the Market. My friend was late but the staff were very attentive, humorous, and friendly but not hovering. One person even brought me a magazine to browse through, in case, he said, "you have already memorized the menu". My friend ordered fish and chips. She would have preferred halibut, but cod was all that was offered. Nonetheless she seemed to enjoy it. I ordered the omelet, and found it to be delicious, perhaps one of the best I have ever had. It was stuffed with enoki mushrooms and chevre. Our orders were taken promptly and served hot and quickly. The only disappointment was that the noise level was too loud to carry on a conversation with my friend who was visiting from afar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mediocremcgwoodDined on 10/4/2014Both the food and service were mediocre at best. They brought me the wrong entree and the chocolate cake was dry. Also they brought tea that was steeped too much in a cup - not a pot. The others in my party were not impressed - except for the squash pie - which was delicious.
- Great wine list and octopus!MrGourmetDined on 10/4/2014The octopus with chorizo was amazing and the wine list had the best selection of local wines I have ever seen! Bonus was a "Canadian" Negroni made with local Campari - very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, ambianceCooperscallingDined on 10/1/2014Fresh, local ingredients, great menu and ambiance, wonderful service. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Canadiana - Love It!MrGourmetDined on 10/1/2014Great atmosphere and food! Always fun with outstanding service!Special Features:
- Canadian Food at its Finest!MrGourmetDined on 9/30/2014I had a very pleasant lunch with my out of town guest the other day including local fish and chips and octopus. A casual setting, great service and outstanding food. This is my favourite place to hold lunch meetings!Special Features:
- Unique Dining Experiencegalsdineoutx1Dined on 9/29/2014A unique menu - we chose two menu items that included food we not tried before. Servings were generous and we were able to share a taste of each dish. All the food was delicious. Service was pleasant and well timed.Special Features:
- Best Kale Salad Ever!!MrGourmetDined on 9/29/2014I went for lunch the other day and tried the kale salad with roasted pumpkin and lentils...it blew me away! Healthy, local and delicious!! Can't wait to go back for another!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS FOR OUT OF TOWN GUESTSOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We had brunch on Saturday with friends from Seattle. They were seated promptly and we joined them a few minutes later. Our waiter was enthusiastic and helpful. Our brunch was fabulous, each of us loved our meals. It was a bit noisy, however we were able to still enjoy our day. WE were not rushed from our table after we paid our bill, which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PlaceFenixFoodieDined on 9/27/2014This was the BEST find on Granville Island. We cancelled plans on our second day and returned here for brunch instead of going somewhere else. The food is amazing, the service great. A perfect place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining before the playSsclarkeDined on 9/26/2014We had a great experience at Edible Canada, although we had not been to the restaurant for a while, the servers still remembered us. The menu for the Fall is diverse with good local and gluten free options. The location is of course exceptional.Special Features:
- Great spot!RowennaDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic food, excellent service and love the commitment to local fare!Special Features:
- Late Summer PatioMrGourmetDined on 9/23/2014Enjoyed a stunning lunch (Octopus and Poutine) on a warm patio meant for people watching on bustling Granville Island - the perfect way to end my summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really delicious food!!!!cmariecDined on 9/22/2014Came here on a Monday night, so not all that busy, but there were quite a few people dining. The food was really delicious, but the service was kinda slow for the amount of people in the restaurant. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- MercerGirlDined on 9/21/2014Five diners with different dishes - all delicious!Special Features:
- Fun Place Great FoodJustDuckyDined on 9/13/2014We had a delicious dinner outside. Relaxed atmosphere. My hubby enjoyed the hearty mussel soup & salmon. I enjoyed the corn fritters with lentils & medley of vegetables. Dessert was a scrumptious rhubarb tart & blueberry chocolate mousse. Try the Gingeroo drink - lemon juice, bubbly water, ginger syrup - delicious. I could have had 3 more. Our server was lovely and warm. Fun to be outside mid-September. We love this restaurant & have been several times. (Must checkout the foodie gift shop)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Edible Canada is my go to place for brunch and the best place to take family and friends visiting from out of town. Thank you for all your hard work and commitment to local/good quality food!Special Features:
- Granville Island outingOccasionalDinerDined on 9/12/2014This is a great place to dine on Granville Island, and we enjoyed the outdoor patio especially. They were premiering a new menu, which was fun. Nice selection of beer and wine, and friendly waitstaff. Great locally sourced food and drink. Free parking for EVs beside restaurant also a plus, though Granville Island should expand the availability of charging sites for travellers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and GoodFoodlover47Dined on 9/12/2014Very happy with this restaurant. Server was great and very accommodating to our needs. We all had the tuna salad, we shared the duck fries and also some soup to start. Everything was great and they paid close attention to our needs when taking our order and serving as we needed to get out in time for a fringe show at presentation house. Wine selection was pretty good too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/11/2014My guests from Ohio loved the site and enjoyed the food, which was much different and of much higher quality than they usually have. They are not foodies - I needed to explain several menu items - but, in the end, they ordered and enjoyed mussels and frites, as well as the smoked grilled octopus. They were also impressed that the restaurant offered blankets after dark fell and the night turned a bit chilly.Special Features:
- Great, innovative, localhaverforddinerVIPDined on 9/10/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the food from this innovative young chef. There server was also good and Josh made sure we had a lovely lunch. The seaweed asparagus picked by a server and served with a delicious dressing Wed even more special. Try the chicken rillettes! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Kid Friendly Restaurant!MrGourmetDined on 9/10/2014I took my three girls and family members in for lunch and had one of the most amazing dining experiences. Outstanding servers, free veggie plates for the kids as soon as they sat down to satisfy their hunger while the adults browsed the menus, crayons and colouring sheets - I was very impressed. The kids menu featured healthy items that my little ones devoured like a gluten free grilled cheese and fish and chips. I can't wait to return with the family again!Special Features:
- Better some days than othersMargievilleDined on 9/6/2014Visited Edible Canada twice within a week and a half time span. The first time was on a Thursday early in the afternoon on a spur of the moment. The service was great as was the food. The duck poutine was a real hit and the bar produced a pretty great cocktail, even if I wasn't particularly partial to the ginger beer they use . The second time I went, based on my first experience, I reserved a table to enjoy a lunch out with my husband and daughter. We went on a Saturday at 1:30pm. The brunch rush was tapering off so we noticed our server this time wasn't as engaged until it slowed a bit. Problem was that food wasn't great this time. Duck poutine was only meh...same item, not as good and the rest only okay.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerlesleyDined on 9/3/2014Very disappointing for Dinner : "kale salad was "just kale", cauliflower soup was "oily", wine was unpleasant and expensive, french fries were good - luckily! Generally put me in a bad mood for the rest of the evening. BUT we have had delicious lunches there, so maybe just go back for lunch.
- what a gemsylvianne1234Dined on 8/31/2014we ate outside late august and it was delightful. I had written in the reservation that it was mine and my husband birthday- same day-.....Our server was smart, funny and easy going. We took our time over our meal,salmon and mussels. The menu changes according to the seasons and has locally sourced items, always fresh. Neil, manager, presented us with a birthday desert plate with digestif..... so kind. Edible treats all their guest with warmth whether you are visiting or a local, and that's very nice indeed. sylvianne and dave vancouverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potential not quite realizedHankLDined on 8/25/2014Great location in the middle of Granville Island but the good really missed the mark. Fish and chips came with good crisp fries but the batter was at times hard. I noticed that they brought a huge platter of pre-fried fish out during service so maybe the reheating process caused this. The ravioli was a bit bland but well presented. A little refinement and it could be a very nice dish. Moules et frites were good and fresh. They could do a better job representing local producers on the menu. Wine list has a good representation if good BC product. If they tweaked things a little, this could become a real gem but for now, it's location saves them. I would go if I am there but it's not a destination yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we wanted in a Brunchscb399VIPDined on 8/24/2014Great menu, innovative dishes, excellent atmosphere, great drinks (maple bacon caesar). Only reason for less stars is that the service is a little off regarding drinks (consistently the drinks seem to take too long to make/deliver). Buy the bread basket, its extremely good. If you're up for the challenge, the duck poutine can't be beat (no bread needed in this case). If you like salt, ask for it. Dishes are a little under seasoned but that's ok because they'll bring you a variety of their house salts to add yourself. We'll be back here often, especially when guests are in town (which is when we make sure to head over to the market).Special Features:
- Great food on the patioJoAndStewDined on 8/19/2014I've wanted to go here for a while. I decided it would be a nice treat for my husband's birthday, and as it was a Tuesday it would probably be less busy and a better night to go with children. I wasn't wrong. We had a nice spot on the patio, the waiter was very friendly and attentive, and crayons for colouring for the kids. Adults and children's menus. We didn't wait long for the food, which was delicious! My steak was tender and had a lovely flavour, my husbands octopus was very tasty as well. The kids grilled cheese was made with brioche...so good! To top it off, an acoustic band provided entertainment with funky versions of popular music. We would definitely go here again and would recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- YummyLuvVanCityDined on 8/18/2014The menu is always wonderful and the food never disappoints. It would be great if the service was as amazing as the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FlavourBlackBonnieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Flapjacks were great. I thought it was a bit forward that the syrup was already on, but it turned out to be a good amount. Excellent ceasar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Wow factor in brunchRickHDined on 8/16/2014Everything was good but not great. Too much kale. I ate it some of it, but don't particularly enjoy it. Pancakes were delicious but too small. It was good but felt like it could be better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We had wait for a long time but server never came over to take order.Special Features:
- disappointedtryingitallDined on 8/8/2014We were hoping to love edible canada, however found the menue lacking and food greasy. The service was absent.Special Features: