Edible Canada at the Market
1596 Johnston Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Edible Canada at the Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ediblecanada.com/
- Phone: 6046826681x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Late Night Libations:
Sunday - Thursday: 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Executive Chef: Eric Pateman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Edible Canada and Savoury Chef Foods Catering have come together to provide exemplary full service catering services for your event. Utilizing the freshest local foodstuffs, we create seasonal and sustainable menus for private events – from 2 to 2000 people. With decades of combined experience between our principals, and our commitment to providing you the highest quality ingredients and experience possible, you can relax and enjoy your special event.
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy the best of Edible Canada in your own private dining room - one unlike any other in the province. In the heart of Granville Island, our unique and contemporary glass-walled space contains a state - of - the - art demonstration kitchen, full audio visual capabilities and long fir tables.
- Private Party Contact: Caitlin Sharman 6045580040
- Entertainment: At our popular Market Dinners, guests enjoy a multicourse seasonally inspired dinner prepared right in front of your eyes. Our sommelier chooses select and often rare BC and Canadian wine, beer and spirits to pair with your meal, and guests are offered a 10% discount in the Edible Canada Retail Store and on future tours booked at the event. Since the goal of the evening is just to relax and enjoy the experience, we will email you a copy of the recipes and wine pairings from the night
- Cross Street: Anderson Street
- Public Transit: #50 False Creek
False Creek Ferry
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a mix of paid and free parking on Granville Island. Edible Canada has recently partnered with Powertech to install the first Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Level 2 charger on Granville Island.
Free Parking after 7pm.
A word from Edible Canada at the Market
Edible Canada at the Market is a full service bistro, focusing on new Canadian cuisine. Unpretentious, welcoming and accessible, we celebrate the best food, wine, beer and spirits from across Canada. Our open kitchen, 150 seat bistro features a private dining space, expansive patio and take-out window for tasty bites and Salt Spring Coffee to go. We are open daily for lunch and dinner, plus weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Edible Canada at the Market - Best Restaurants in Granville Island ›
Edible Canada at the Market reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (129)fit for foodies (122)great for brunch (99)great for lunch (88)neighborhood gem (84)good for groups (61)special occasion (47)kid-friendly (46)hot spot (37)notable wine list (28)scenic view (20)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- Fun Place Great FoodJustDuckyDined on 9/13/2014We had a delicious dinner outside. Relaxed atmosphere. My hubby enjoyed the hearty mussel soup & salmon. I enjoyed the corn fritters with lentils & medley of vegetables. Dessert was a scrumptious rhubarb tart & blueberry chocolate mousse. Try the Gingeroo drink - lemon juice, bubbly water, ginger syrup - delicious. I could have had 3 more. Our server was lovely and warm. Fun to be outside mid-September. We love this restaurant & have been several times. (Must checkout the foodie gift shop)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Edible Canada is my go to place for brunch and the best place to take family and friends visiting from out of town. Thank you for all your hard work and commitment to local/good quality food!Special Features:
- Granville Island outingOccasionalDinerDined on 9/12/2014This is a great place to dine on Granville Island, and we enjoyed the outdoor patio especially. They were premiering a new menu, which was fun. Nice selection of beer and wine, and friendly waitstaff. Great locally sourced food and drink. Free parking for EVs beside restaurant also a plus, though Granville Island should expand the availability of charging sites for travellers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Very happy with this restaurant. Server was great and very accommodating to our needs. We all had the tuna salad, we shared the duck fries and also some soup to start. Everything was great and they paid close attention to our needs when taking our order and serving as we needed to get out in time for a fringe show at presentation house. Wine selection was pretty good too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/11/2014My guests from Ohio loved the site and enjoyed the food, which was much different and of much higher quality than they usually have. They are not foodies - I needed to explain several menu items - but, in the end, they ordered and enjoyed mussels and frites, as well as the smoked grilled octopus. They were also impressed that the restaurant offered blankets after dark fell and the night turned a bit chilly.Special Features:
- Great, innovative, localhaverforddinerVIPDined on 9/10/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the food from this innovative young chef. There server was also good and Josh made sure we had a lovely lunch. The seaweed asparagus picked by a server and served with a delicious dressing Wed even more special. Try the chicken rillettes! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Kid Friendly Restaurant!MrGourmetDined on 9/10/2014I took my three girls and family members in for lunch and had one of the most amazing dining experiences. Outstanding servers, free veggie plates for the kids as soon as they sat down to satisfy their hunger while the adults browsed the menus, crayons and colouring sheets - I was very impressed. The kids menu featured healthy items that my little ones devoured like a gluten free grilled cheese and fish and chips. I can't wait to return with the family again!Special Features:
- Better some days than othersMargievilleDined on 9/6/2014Visited Edible Canada twice within a week and a half time span. The first time was on a Thursday early in the afternoon on a spur of the moment. The service was great as was the food. The duck poutine was a real hit and the bar produced a pretty great cocktail, even if I wasn't particularly partial to the ginger beer they use . The second time I went, based on my first experience, I reserved a table to enjoy a lunch out with my husband and daughter. We went on a Saturday at 1:30pm. The brunch rush was tapering off so we noticed our server this time wasn't as engaged until it slowed a bit. Problem was that food wasn't great this time. Duck poutine was only meh...same item, not as good and the rest only okay.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerlesleyDined on 9/3/2014Very disappointing for Dinner : "kale salad was "just kale", cauliflower soup was "oily", wine was unpleasant and expensive, french fries were good - luckily! Generally put me in a bad mood for the rest of the evening. BUT we have had delicious lunches there, so maybe just go back for lunch.
- what a gemsylvianne1234Dined on 8/31/2014we ate outside late august and it was delightful. I had written in the reservation that it was mine and my husband birthday- same day-.....Our server was smart, funny and easy going. We took our time over our meal,salmon and mussels. The menu changes according to the seasons and has locally sourced items, always fresh. Neil, manager, presented us with a birthday desert plate with digestif..... so kind. Edible treats all their guest with warmth whether you are visiting or a local, and that's very nice indeed. sylvianne and dave vancouverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potential not quite realizedHankLDined on 8/25/2014Great location in the middle of Granville Island but the good really missed the mark. Fish and chips came with good crisp fries but the batter was at times hard. I noticed that they brought a huge platter of pre-fried fish out during service so maybe the reheating process caused this. The ravioli was a bit bland but well presented. A little refinement and it could be a very nice dish. Moules et frites were good and fresh. They could do a better job representing local producers on the menu. Wine list has a good representation if good BC product. If they tweaked things a little, this could become a real gem but for now, it's location saves them. I would go if I am there but it's not a destination yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we wanted in a Brunchscb399VIPDined on 8/24/2014Great menu, innovative dishes, excellent atmosphere, great drinks (maple bacon caesar). Only reason for less stars is that the service is a little off regarding drinks (consistently the drinks seem to take too long to make/deliver). Buy the bread basket, its extremely good. If you're up for the challenge, the duck poutine can't be beat (no bread needed in this case). If you like salt, ask for it. Dishes are a little under seasoned but that's ok because they'll bring you a variety of their house salts to add yourself. We'll be back here often, especially when guests are in town (which is when we make sure to head over to the market).Special Features:
- Great food on the patioJoAndStewDined on 8/19/2014I've wanted to go here for a while. I decided it would be a nice treat for my husband's birthday, and as it was a Tuesday it would probably be less busy and a better night to go with children. I wasn't wrong. We had a nice spot on the patio, the waiter was very friendly and attentive, and crayons for colouring for the kids. Adults and children's menus. We didn't wait long for the food, which was delicious! My steak was tender and had a lovely flavour, my husbands octopus was very tasty as well. The kids grilled cheese was made with brioche...so good! To top it off, an acoustic band provided entertainment with funky versions of popular music. We would definitely go here again and would recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- YummyLuvVanCityDined on 8/18/2014The menu is always wonderful and the food never disappoints. It would be great if the service was as amazing as the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FlavourBlackBonnieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Flapjacks were great. I thought it was a bit forward that the syrup was already on, but it turned out to be a good amount. Excellent ceasar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Wow factor in brunchRickHDined on 8/16/2014Everything was good but not great. Too much kale. I ate it some of it, but don't particularly enjoy it. Pancakes were delicious but too small. It was good but felt like it could be better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We had wait for a long time but server never came over to take order.Special Features:
- disappointedtryingitallDined on 8/8/2014We were hoping to love edible canada, however found the menue lacking and food greasy. The service was absent.Special Features:
- sunset delight on a summer eveningDominiqueDined on 8/7/2014Dinner for two on the patio, a couple of drinks, a sunny evening, what more do you want? I ordered the salmon, it was grilled and a touch overcooked, served with a little bit of a anchovy and caper puree on top, accompanied by some potatoes cut in half, which were undercooked and a couple of artichoke hearts, no greens and that was disappointing. My partner had the mussels and thought they were excellent but there was not enough bouillon, accompanied by some fries cooked in duck fat, which were crunchy but a bit greasy! For dessert, we had the raspberry shortcake and that was a success, so creamy with a lot of fruit. Overall, it was an enjoyable, sunny evening and we hope they add some greens with their salmon! The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterphilDined on 8/4/2014Great venue, but the quality of food has slipped over the past couple years. Not sure if I'll go back, except perhaps for drinks on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio on Granville IslandcustomerDined on 8/2/2014The food is excellent. The service when we were there was perfect. The menu is not extensive, but it is good, sustainable food done with due attention and flair. A bit pricey.Special Features:
- Great FOOD!cbooVIPDined on 8/2/2014I am shocked to read the below reviews as this was certainly NOT my experience! The food was well prepared and seasoned, tasty and fresh, and represented local farmers. The service was awesome - Peter was friendly, personable and genuinely cared about ensuring we were having a good time on this beautiful sunny day on the patio! Great job Edible Canada - keep up the good work!!Special Features:
- Sadly declined in qualitySeriousDined on 8/2/2014A year ago Edible Canada was a delightful find: truly delicious food, well-priced, and served in a charming, lively ambience. Now, after our weekend lunch, I would never go again. The food is banal, poorly prepared, and over-fatty. It serves tourist fare, using low quality ingredients. But the restaurant is full because tourists don't know better. I noticed the place was thronged with overweight diners, who are attracted to such food, but it is not the sort of cuisine Vancouver celebrates or deserves.
- OverratedtastebudsDined on 8/1/2014The bacon caesar not spectacular, as it sounds, The bacon was great, but for good caesars Rodney's Oyster Bar still rules. There are far better hamburgers in Vancouver - the burger itself of flavourless and the bun could easily be improved. Service was the worst I'd seen in years. Only go for the location - nothing moreSpecial Features:
- Lovely view and good foodArtsClubentusiastDined on 7/31/2014Great spot for dining before the show on Granville Island.Special Features:
- disappointment againCedricDined on 7/30/2014We have now tried several times Edible. It has his up and downs in regards quality. I wanted to give it another chance, but this time was the last one. We did not receive our starter ( they forgot), we ordered spiraling water, but didn't receive it. We continuously had to ask for our orders. The main course was again a disappointment. We ordered the steaks, but quality was poor and food was not even served hot. After giving this restaurant a couple of chances, we will never go again. I can't believe why people find this restaurant so good. It misses the passion and quality of food is poor.Special Features:
- Simply Perfect!!MrGourmetDined on 7/29/2014Can't wait to have an excuse to return! Service, food, atmosphere all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingpetwebVIPDined on 7/29/2014I visit this establishment quite often and everything about the place is outstanding.....location, staff, food, service, and value...you gotta go there!!!Special Features:
- gluten free friendlywonkaDined on 7/28/2014Edible Canada at the Market is one of my all time favourite places to come for a special meal. They always have several selections that I can chose from (I have celiac disease) and they really understand my medically necessary diet. I have introduced many people to this wonderful restaurant and will continue to do so. My meal, once again, was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio diningObanoneVIPDined on 7/28/2014Always enjoy having dinner here before taking in a play at the Arts Club. Loved the new menu and the six of us enjoyed everything. The Moules and Frites were excellent. Nice beer on tap selection and wine list.Special Features:
- Nice place for brunchDebsDined on 7/27/2014We had the duck poutine, mushroom Benny, fish cake Benny and the fish n chips. The bennies and the poutine were standout but I would pass on the fish n chips. The batter was weird and the fish was dry. I also thought the tartar sauce was overpowered with dill. The service was a little slow, we didn't get our meal until past 30 mins into service, but it was quite busy for Sunday brunch. Also a little more pricy for brunch but that is to be expected in Granville island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch goodnessFoodmaniaDined on 7/26/2014We went there for an early brunch on Saturday morning. Service was excellent and the food was outstanding. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great food & service before TheatreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Took friends for dinner before the theatre and everything was perfect. Had some time to walk a little before the show and settle our food. Night was beautiful to be outside and enjoy all the sights of the market. The whole night was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Patio!MrGourmetDined on 7/17/20143 times in one week on the patio...that should say something! One of the best patios for a business lunch in Vancouver - quiet with great food, service and people watching!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall is good!slcannonDined on 7/16/2014Food is good, Service is good, but Wine is abit over-price....Special Features:
- Outstanding Service!MrGourmetDined on 7/15/2014Great business lunch and some of the best service I have recieved in Vancouver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, just not excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014This is the 2nd time I've been to Edible Canada. I think my first time was better, but the food was still good, it's just not as good as I think it could have been. It wasn't such that I won't go again, but I do think in the same price range there are other restaurants that I'd choose first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine from top BC wineries!CarolinaandLorenxoDined on 7/11/2014Amazing food, original menu and outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Eats on the patio!live2eatDined on 7/11/2014We were there for the Arts Club show just across the street, and seated out at the communal table. But not at all cramped for a lovely Friday evening. We started with the mushroom polenta, then had the steak frites & mussels; all very fresh, flavorful & cooked to perfection. Finished off with the chocolate cake & strawberry shortcake, in plenty of time for the show. Had not realized discount available to show patrons, but will remember for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fresh!LetsgrubDined on 7/9/2014My boyfriend ordered the Line Fish and Chips and I ordered the Moules-Frites -- both were delicious!! The mussels were tender and fresh and the fries were crispy on the outside yet soft on the inside. My boyfriend enjoyed his gluten-free fish and chips and said that he would definitely come back to have their fish and chips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.