Edible Canada at the Market
1596 Johnston Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Edible Canada at the Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ediblecanada.com/
- Phone: (604) 682-6681
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Late Night Libations:
Sunday - Thursday: 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Executive Chef: Eric Pateman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Edible Canada and Savoury Chef Foods Catering have come together to provide exemplary full service catering services for your event. Utilizing the freshest local foodstuffs, we create seasonal and sustainable menus for private events – from 2 to 2000 people. With decades of combined experience between our principals, and our commitment to providing you the highest quality ingredients and experience possible, you can relax and enjoy your special event.
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy the best of Edible Canada in your own private dining room - one unlike any other in the province. In the heart of Granville Island, our unique and contemporary glass-walled space contains a state - of - the - art demonstration kitchen, full audio visual capabilities and long fir tables.
- Private Party Contact: Caitlin Sharman 6045580040
- Entertainment: At our popular Market Dinners, guests enjoy a multicourse seasonally inspired dinner prepared right in front of your eyes. Our sommelier chooses select and often rare BC and Canadian wine, beer and spirits to pair with your meal, and guests are offered a 10% discount in the Edible Canada Retail Store and on future tours booked at the event. Since the goal of the evening is just to relax and enjoy the experience, we will email you a copy of the recipes and wine pairings from the night
- Cross Street: Anderson Street
- Public Transit: #50 False Creek
False Creek Ferry
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a mix of paid and free parking on Granville Island. Edible Canada has recently partnered with Powertech to install the first Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Level 2 charger on Granville Island.
Free Parking after 7pm.
A word from Edible Canada at the Market
Edible Canada at the Market is a full service bistro, focusing on new Canadian cuisine. Unpretentious, welcoming and accessible, we celebrate the best food, wine, beer and spirits from across Canada. Our open kitchen, 150 seat bistro features a private dining space, expansive patio and take-out window for tasty bites and Salt Spring Coffee to go. We are open daily for lunch and dinner, plus weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Edible Canada at the Market - Best Restaurants in Granville Island ›
Edible Canada at the Market reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)great for outdoor dining (79)neighborhood gem (72)great for brunch (68)great for lunch (58)good for groups (37)kid-friendly (32)special occasion (32)hot spot (31)notable wine list (20)scenic view (19)romantic (16)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- DisappointedSatedDined on 11/11/2014Edibles used to be our favourite restaurant. Our recent visit was very disappointing. The restaurant had no heat. It was only 2 degrees outside, so the restaurant continued to get colder as the meal went on. We ended up putting our coats on. Several other guests were also wearing their coats. My husband's pork chop was very fatty and tough and my steak lacked flavour. When our food arrived it was not hot....likely due to the temperature in the restaurant. Our waitress was attentive and apologetic about the temperature. Our meal ended on a more positive note, dessert was delicious.
- Brunch bunchbirdwordDined on 11/9/2014Had friends in from Las Vegas - wanted something local and Canadian! Edible did not disappoint. We had a chilly table with a breeze from the door and the manager happily moved us as soon as he could. After we warmed up - with Caesars and Mimosas - our food arrived. Outstanding steak and eggs, sumptuous apple flapjacks with maple syrup and bacon bits, and delicate poached eggs with salmon, plus one hearty bacon and egg breakfast..... Really fun, and fabulous on a chilly Sunday morning. Our guests were talking about it all day!Special Features:
- Great fresh local ingredientsgordmetVIPDined on 11/6/2014Well cooked crispy pork belly, a flavourful saucy chicken liver and chantarelle over focaccia, a great tender pork chop with an interesting breaded zucchini, and a perfectly cooked octopus served with a red pepper aioli which could have been a bit more inventive. The squash pie for dessert with pecans with vanilla ice cream was a nice finish to the meal.Special Features:
- Excellent ConceptOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Focusing on the majority of ingredients being local and at least Canadian (with a few exceptions) makes this dining experience even better. The chef's use of the seasonal foods and masterful blends of flavours within simplicity was magical. Fabulous meal, excellent selection of complimentary beverages made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Roasted chicken undercookedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/1/2014I ordered the 1/2 roasted chicken, once I cut into the breast and leg, discovered the pieces were undercooked. Notified the staff (someone other than our waitress), chicken came back (same pieces) as 'grilled' chicken. I was surprised that they didn't replace/replate my dinner. Usually, we enjoy our lunches and dinners, except this dinner was so-so.Special Features:
- A+ElisabethEatsVIPDined on 10/31/2014We had Hazelmere kale salad, Steelhead salmon and grilled octopus, with a beautiful dark chocolate eggplant torte to finish - absolutely outstanding! Service was friendly, attentive and informative. Will come back for more octopus often!!Special Features:
- DeliciousDined on 10/25/2014Very reliable, delicious food. Great menu. Great value. Excellent service.Special Features:
- AwesomeJManDined on 10/24/2014Food was great, was on a date and the food and service really impressed. Although I learned a valuable lesson on wine. Don't tell your waitress to pick a wine for you. Because she will choose one of the most expensive Wines on the list lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2014short rib outstanding. Field green salad o.k. but sparse on blueberries.Special Features:
- Delicious and consistentMRLRDined on 10/22/2014Edible Canada at the Market offers consistently delicious offerings. The dining experience is always top quality. You discern that Edible Canada works as a team to provide diners with a quality offering!Special Features:
- CacophonyPaddyDined on 10/21/2014Excellent service. OK food. Ruined by a loud musician who made conversation and enjoyment very difficult.
- Edible food, inaudible environmentDinesalotDined on 10/21/2014Great food, excellent service, but the noise level was horrid and made it impossible to carry on a conversation without almost shouting. The acoustics are not great to begin with, so why have an extremely loud "Bob Dylan" band performing at 6:30 to after-work or pre-theatre diners who come to eat and converse?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DifferentwinetodineDined on 10/21/2014Pricey for what you get, limited menu, however very tasty. Pleasant service but a bit preoccupied. Late arriving coffee was given me to go, a thoughtful touch. Kale Salad, yes a large pile of kale with dressing, rather odd, not so appealing. Upside, were there on Tuesday night and the live music was a nice touch for Tuesdays.Special Features:
- edible canadatastydishDined on 10/21/2014This restaurant offers interesting choices, e.g. 2 of us had lentil succotash with corn fritters. It was delicious. My other friend had wild salmon which was cooked perfectly ; crisp skin and very moist fish. Two of us had a compote which was comprised of a lemony custard topped by a coronation grape jelly. delicious. and the wine was very good. Service was good but slow getting started. Our only complaint was the noise. It was so loud we had to lean in and raise our voices.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationwonkaDined on 10/21/2014My girls requested that we go to Edible Canada to celebrate their 19th birthday. They were not disappointed. They had live music ( excellent singer and added to the celebration in a lovely way).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ivy123Dined on 10/19/2014Great service. Presentation of food is great. Friendly environment. Good selection of salts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!HtHtDined on 10/18/2014This dining experience was every bit as delicious as I had hoped (and read about). I had the duck rilette and half a chicken à la Montreal (whatever it had to do with that city I'm still not sure on) plus chocolate and eggplant desert. Everything from the food to the craft beer to the service was excellent. Highly recommended...Special Features:
- Loved it!foodieDined on 10/17/2014We had a delicious meal before heading off to the play at the Arts Club Theatre. The food came hot and was nicely arranged on the plate. The place is unpretentious and the food is scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Natural flavoursTMP9Dined on 10/15/2014The chef here relies upon the natural flavours of the ingredients with very little (if any!) additional seasonings, oils, herbs - all those things that seem to be used almost to excess in many restaurants. It was very enjoyable - for a change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMRLRDined on 10/15/2014Edible Canada consistently provides a wonderful dining experience. Food is constantly high quality and the service is wonderful! Don't miss an opportunity to experience dining at Edible Canada!Special Features:
- BC cuisine at it's bestSonyaDined on 10/13/2014This gem in the heart of Granville Island is a must for locals & tourists. The brunch menu was delicious! Love that they source out the best of the Seasons locally fresh ingredients, and the presentation is beautiful. The Mimosa's & the Maple Bacon Caesar was a big hit with our guest from San Francisco. I would recommend anything on the menu with a side of Duck Fat Frites!! simply delectable! See you soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always: perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Our favorite restaurant in Vancouver, we are never disappointed. Great food, friendly and professional staff, beautiful place. Thanks once again for this beautiful experience!Special Features:
- Excellent Food but LoudcheespleasesDined on 10/7/2014This was my first time at Edible Canada at the Market. My friend was late but the staff were very attentive, humorous, and friendly but not hovering. One person even brought me a magazine to browse through, in case, he said, "you have already memorized the menu". My friend ordered fish and chips. She would have preferred halibut, but cod was all that was offered. Nonetheless she seemed to enjoy it. I ordered the omelet, and found it to be delicious, perhaps one of the best I have ever had. It was stuffed with enoki mushrooms and chevre. Our orders were taken promptly and served hot and quickly. The only disappointment was that the noise level was too loud to carry on a conversation with my friend who was visiting from afar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mediocremcgwoodDined on 10/4/2014Both the food and service were mediocre at best. They brought me the wrong entree and the chocolate cake was dry. Also they brought tea that was steeped too much in a cup - not a pot. The others in my party were not impressed - except for the squash pie - which was delicious.
- Great wine list and octopus!MrGourmetDined on 10/4/2014The octopus with chorizo was amazing and the wine list had the best selection of local wines I have ever seen! Bonus was a "Canadian" Negroni made with local Campari - very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, ambianceCooperscallingDined on 10/1/2014Fresh, local ingredients, great menu and ambiance, wonderful service. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Canadiana - Love It!MrGourmetDined on 10/1/2014Great atmosphere and food! Always fun with outstanding service!Special Features:
- Canadian Food at its Finest!MrGourmetDined on 9/30/2014I had a very pleasant lunch with my out of town guest the other day including local fish and chips and octopus. A casual setting, great service and outstanding food. This is my favourite place to hold lunch meetings!Special Features:
- Unique Dining Experiencegalsdineoutx1Dined on 9/29/2014A unique menu - we chose two menu items that included food we not tried before. Servings were generous and we were able to share a taste of each dish. All the food was delicious. Service was pleasant and well timed.Special Features:
- Best Kale Salad Ever!!MrGourmetDined on 9/29/2014I went for lunch the other day and tried the kale salad with roasted pumpkin and lentils...it blew me away! Healthy, local and delicious!! Can't wait to go back for another!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS FOR OUT OF TOWN GUESTSOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We had brunch on Saturday with friends from Seattle. They were seated promptly and we joined them a few minutes later. Our waiter was enthusiastic and helpful. Our brunch was fabulous, each of us loved our meals. It was a bit noisy, however we were able to still enjoy our day. WE were not rushed from our table after we paid our bill, which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PlaceFenixFoodieDined on 9/27/2014This was the BEST find on Granville Island. We cancelled plans on our second day and returned here for brunch instead of going somewhere else. The food is amazing, the service great. A perfect place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining before the playSsclarkeDined on 9/26/2014We had a great experience at Edible Canada, although we had not been to the restaurant for a while, the servers still remembered us. The menu for the Fall is diverse with good local and gluten free options. The location is of course exceptional.Special Features:
- Great spot!RowennaDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic food, excellent service and love the commitment to local fare!Special Features:
- Late Summer PatioMrGourmetDined on 9/23/2014Enjoyed a stunning lunch (Octopus and Poutine) on a warm patio meant for people watching on bustling Granville Island - the perfect way to end my summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really delicious food!!!!cmariecDined on 9/22/2014Came here on a Monday night, so not all that busy, but there were quite a few people dining. The food was really delicious, but the service was kinda slow for the amount of people in the restaurant. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- MercerGirlDined on 9/21/2014Five diners with different dishes - all delicious!Special Features:
- Fun Place Great FoodJustDuckyDined on 9/13/2014We had a delicious dinner outside. Relaxed atmosphere. My hubby enjoyed the hearty mussel soup & salmon. I enjoyed the corn fritters with lentils & medley of vegetables. Dessert was a scrumptious rhubarb tart & blueberry chocolate mousse. Try the Gingeroo drink - lemon juice, bubbly water, ginger syrup - delicious. I could have had 3 more. Our server was lovely and warm. Fun to be outside mid-September. We love this restaurant & have been several times. (Must checkout the foodie gift shop)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Edible Canada is my go to place for brunch and the best place to take family and friends visiting from out of town. Thank you for all your hard work and commitment to local/good quality food!Special Features:
- Granville Island outingOccasionalDinerDined on 9/12/2014This is a great place to dine on Granville Island, and we enjoyed the outdoor patio especially. They were premiering a new menu, which was fun. Nice selection of beer and wine, and friendly waitstaff. Great locally sourced food and drink. Free parking for EVs beside restaurant also a plus, though Granville Island should expand the availability of charging sites for travellers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.