Eddie Papa's American Hangout
4889 Hopyard Rd.
Pleasanton, CA 94566Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Eddie Papa's American Hangout
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eddiepapas.com/
- Phone: (925) 469-6266
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 3:00PM;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 3:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Eddie Papa's American Hangout
Regional American Cuisine. Hand-Crafted Artisan Cocktails. Old World HospitalityContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Eddie Papa's American Hangout - Best Restaurants in Pleasanton ›
Eddie Papa's American Hangout reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (20)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (12)great for lunch (10)fit for foodies (8)great for brunch (7)special occasion (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Good food.. Lots of kidsPtcpattyDined on 11/21/2014Food was pretty goo and enjoyed the regional draft beer. We are a 50+ couple that don't enjoy dinner out with lots of young kids. This was a family place mostly so just not our ambience any more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood place to meetGeoffVIPDined on 11/4/2014I always have great food, excellent service, and want to come back every time I dine at Eddie Papa's.Special Features:
- Too NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014By the end of the evening, my throat was sore to having to shout to the person seated next to me. Very noisy. Kids running around.Special Features:
- Giving another chanceEatsDined on 11/1/2014We were giving this restaurant another chance, after taking a 2 year hiatus. The last experience was terrible & we said never again. But we thought after 2 yrs it's got 2 b better. Not really. Waitress got confused about drink menu and brought something we didn't want after asking about it. Soda was flat so they were supposedly fixing it, took forever, eventually offered a bottled drink for the long wait but never brought a soda! Jambalaya was missing shrimp so they brought some on the side but it had tails and shell so that had 2 b removed by diner before putting into food himself. Food took forever.For dessert, I finally walked up to front & asked 4 it bcuZ of the rediculous wait time. A "Kobe beef" hot dog tasted like a plain hot dog.Special Features:
- Great Gluten FreeNegoti8torDined on 10/11/2014My son is gluten intolerant and this is his favorite go to dining experience. He can pretty much get anything he wants from the menu as a gluten free option so he doesn't feel disadvantaged or having to compromise for the sake of others. I had the Sonoran Chipotle Pasta and that was terrific, very spicy and vibrant. My son had the All-American Hamburger with Gluten Free bread which he thoroughly enjoyed. Having reserved through Open Table we turned up on time and were immediately shown to our table. Service was friendly but unobtrusive. Good family atmosphere thoroughly recommend Eddie Papa's for a great night out!Special Features:
- Not the best experienceWomanOfSubstanceVIPDined on 10/10/2014Sadly this was not a good night. The food came out very out of order, wine never arrived, the bill arrived twice before we ordered dessert, wait person pulled a disappearing act and no one could find her. We tried to find a manager to talk to and couldn't find one. We will try again because it's usually our casual dining favorites but that is it!
- Fabulous as alwaysCrashcaddyDined on 10/4/2014This is our favorite place for special occasions and my son's first choice for his 15th birthday dinner. The service and food were great like they always are. I appreciate the way they handle birthdays bringing out a small dessert with a candle and a birthday card and letting the family sing as they choose. My son is shy and the big loud hoopla in most restaurants is a bit much sometimes.Special Features:
- Not a keeperBobSorryMyNameIsTooShortVIPDined on 9/26/2014A restaurant shouldn't be themed on classic comfort food and cocktails if it doesn't know how to make them. My wife's Reuben sandwich was made with shredded corned beef, making it a spongy mess. My prime rib was a bit overcooked but edible; the mashed potatoes had been whipped into a froth and the vegetables were so overcooked the broccoli had turned purple. I ordered a Sidecar which was truly vile. The manager came by and noticed I wasn't drinking it, so I ordered a Stinger to replace it. Undrinkable. I have no idea how they messed up a drink with two ingredients, but I suspect one of them came out of a hose.
- CarolVIPDined on 9/25/2014Had not been back since we had a very bad experience last year. Thought we would give it another try. The food and the service was excellent. You can tell there must be a new manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Papa's on a SundayJoelDined on 9/21/2014There is no question this restaurant is fairly solid. The dishes are well thought out. Some dishes work better than others which would be true at almost every restaurants. This past Sunday we started with deep fried raviolis with a marinara sauce but unfortunately it didn't turn out very well. The deep fried crust seems to over power the entire dish. As for the main courses, my 13 year old liked the crab and avocado sandwich which was stuffed with crab. I enjoyed the fish tacos but the pineapple relish needed a little more kick. The bill for 2 with tip but without drinks was close to $50 with tip which makes it an expensive alternative to nearby Sweet Tomatoes.Special Features:
- Something for everyoneDominicVIPDined on 9/17/2014With a broad and diverse menu my first impression was "too many items, how can they do all this". Not only do they manage the menu but they do it very well. On my various trips I have tried all kinds of items and have been pleased every time. A fun spot with knowledgeable, personal and friendly service all under the watchful eye of the owner. This is an old fashion homey and local restaurant with something for everyone.Special Features:
- We really enjoy Eddie Papa'sSansReviewDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I continue to return to Eddie Papa's. They have a fun menu and good food. This time, we brought my brother and his wife. It was their first time to Eddie Papa's. They loved it. I would highly recommend the crab/artichoke sandwich. It's outstanding. We also shared the seasonal pumpkin egg rolls and would definitely order them again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need ACOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014the AC was broken in big dining area. which made us sweat the entire lunch. service was slow, tables dirty, but food was fine.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationNormDined on 9/7/2014Over the past year since we discovered Eddie Papa's we enjoyed several birthday celebrations at Eddie Papa's. Great family place, always treat the birthday guest special, and always treat the kids big and small special with special menu options and cotton candy and pixie sticks. Great fun for all ages. They have a great menu selection with something for everyone.Special Features:
- The following 225 reviews are from the Eddie Papa's American Hangout reviews archive.
- BAD VERY BADYUKKKKKDined on 6/15/2014Service was average nothing special. Food was awful 6 different orders 2 orders return 1 order not available. Not a good place to go. Thanks for my Father's Day Dinner. Won't be back!!!!!
- love that cotton candy..!loves2eatoutDined on 6/15/2014We like to come here for the well-crafted hamburgers..haven't yet tried anything else. My husband especially likes the cotton candy that comes with the bill! There are some imaginative desserts also, which we haven't tried, but have seen at the next table, notably the s'mores that include a small stove (?) to roast the marshmallows on. Kids welcome, but there is also a large cocktail menu. Fun place!Special Features:
- EnjoyFoodDined on 6/15/2014Great old fashioned home cooked meals. The service is good. The food is always fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Great Variety of Diverse FoodBestMexicanFoodDined on 6/14/2014We really enjoyed being able to pick from a wide range of foods from different cultures, etc. All food we ordered was cooked exceptionally well and delicious.Special Features:
- Promotion & Graduation CelebrationPtownbritDined on 6/12/2014This was a great spot to celebrate the promotion and graduation of our sons - and so felt lots of other families on this night. Food was good (I personally was not a huge fan of what I selected - Ahi Tuna in Macadamia nut crus (a little too sweet, needed in my opinion some green veggies) but that was my choice). Otherwise my kids were very happy with their burgers and mac and cheese and my husband had the Jambalaya which they spiced up a little more for him. One child is Gluten free and they accommodate that really well which makes it a very easy spot for him to eat without fear.Special Features:
- Two thumbs way upsebysusanDined on 6/11/2014Have loved Eddie Papa's from the month they opened. Their service is outstanding and food superb. I believe I've eaten there several dozen times at this point, and have been consistently satisfied. One note, my experiences have been almost always on the patio. (Lunch with the pups after hiking being typical. Love the fact that well behaved dogs are welcome outside.) When dining inside, I have noticed during busy times the noise level gets fairly high. A minor complaint. PS the child in me adores the cotton-candy that comes with the billSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- robemerDined on 6/8/2014Someone informed the manager that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary so he gave us a desert absolutely free. The air-conditioning seemed to be broken in spite of that it was a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sntabbyDined on 5/31/2014Cocktails were excellent. Good selections of beers on tap. Food was good, but two of the four dinners had to be sent back because they were not hot. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the visit.JoenJanetDined on 5/24/2014Disappointed! My wife ordered a crab and artichoke sandwich on an open faced chiabate bread. She got a luke warm sandwich with avocado and unknown if it had crab as she could not taste it. It was served as a sandwich between two slices of sourdough bread. My fish and chips were also luke warm, considering that the fish is breaded, I would have thought it would have been very hot. French fries were the only things that were hot. Very disappointing. Service was excellent however! Treated our grandkids very well.
- Fun menuAce1Dined on 5/22/2014Eddie Papa's offers a creative spin on "normal" menu items. Presentation is also refreshingly different. Oh yeah, the food tastes great as well!Special Features:
- Not a burger jointTigerVirgoDined on 5/21/2014I've driven by this place a number of times and thought it offered little more than burgers (ie Johhny Rockets, Red Robins). Was I ever wrong! The menu reflects regional foods of the U.S.A. Our table enjoyed Alaskan Fish and Chips, Fisherman's Wharf Crab & Lobster Bisque, San Francisco Crab & Artichoke Sandwich, New Mexican Taquitos (Specials menu) and Monterey Crab & Artichoke Dip. We finished with S'mores with homemade marshmallows, the best homemade Bread Pudding and complimentary Cotton Candy! The servers were all very nice and accommodating (our group was celebrating several occasions) and the owner visited each table. I already have plans on going back next week! Conveniently located not far off 580 on Hopyard in Pleasanton.Special Features:
- favorite family meeting placemartieDined on 5/11/2014I have family all over the East Bay area, and Eddie Papa's is a favorite meeting place. We love the varied menu, and the seasonal selections for something new and different. We always have a good time!Special Features:
- Noisy Mother's Day buffetQuietDinerDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day and were disappointed to see that it was a buffet. Not only was it ludicrously expensive, it was loud and chaotic, with long lines for food. We were very unhappy.
- Great MenuDick83Dined on 5/10/2014Menu can cover all the food requests of our party of four! Salads, corn cakes, ruebens, vegetarian sandwiches, and great tea.Special Features:
- FoodDinnerDined on 5/4/2014Great food and service. Our server, Ryan went above normal service. There was 10 of us including a 2 year old. He paid special attention to her which was great to keep a 2 year old busy. Drinks were good. We have never been there before, but will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Good for familiesSfovisitDined on 4/27/2014Food was ok, rather too fat for my taste. Very spacious and freat for kids. Cotton candy and smores are definately highlights for the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notorious serviceOccassionalDinerDined on 4/27/2014While the food and preparation is interesting and quite good, the service is so bad that it ruins the meal. Virtually all of the servers, while friendly, are exceptionally slow and unprofessionally. They seem to spend a lot of time out of site and visiting with each other while patrons wait for food that eventually comes ... cold. Don't expect anyone to ask how you meal is after it's eventually served. Don't bother if you want a water, coffee, or lemon aid refill. Don't anticipate that promised famous cotton candy to necessarily come with your bill. If going out for dinner's supposed to be special, too many other places offer both good food and good service to endure this place.Special Features:
- wineanddineVIPDined on 4/23/2014Nice place to have lunch. Many choices on the menu and the service is always good. Complimentary cotton candy- Bonus.Special Features:
- An Evening at the Pop's.AnniefannieDined on 4/19/2014I have been here a few times and I have never been disappointed. The food always tastes fresh and homemade. There is an endless variety of items to choose from. The servers are friendly too. Definitely one of my favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Any Time Any Occasioneslaa33Dined on 4/3/2014You can't go wrong with Eddie Papa's. It's a great way to treat yourself for any occasion. The food is incredible, the service is friendly and they bend over backwards to accommodate your every need/want. You can't help but feel spoiled here. It's fancy and fun; without being pretentious.Special Features:
- Lunch outTruelifeDined on 3/14/2014I ordered a Lobster rolls and requested a small side strawberry salad to replace fries. They charged an extra $4 for the replacement salad, it was good and the Lobster roll tasty. They also have a nice touch of cotton candy at the meals end. The manager said hi and remembered my name as I left. Over all a great tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesNorCalFoodieVIPDined on 3/13/2014This place was busy, as it often is. Good energy, good food and good times.Special Features:
- Good food, OK service, VERY loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/7/2014Double dated with friends for dinner Friday night and dining here was a first for all of us. The appetizer was great (pulled pork quesadilla), the crab bisque was excellent, and entrees were also all very well prepared. The service lacked maturity (water brought to two not four, drink orders taken from the other two not all four, wine uncorked and set on the table with the cork in it, mismatching dinners with diners) and the room was very noisy and warm. I think I would choose this place for lunch over dinner, certainly would not return here for a special dinner. Overall I rate this three stars. This place could be great with a little server training and sound dampening.Special Features:
- Great wait service.TerriVIPDined on 3/4/2014Arturo was quick and attentive. Food continues to be consistently good. Had the gumbo for which was good. Only thing that was a disappoint was the initial greeting from the host which I later found out was she was the manager. Just didn't give us the welcome that we have received in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceukgalDined on 3/4/2014This was not my first time at Eddie's, but every time the service has always been so friendly and attentive. Would recommend this as a local favourite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Gluten-Free Friendly!amcgirl1VIPDined on 2/20/2014This was my sister and my first time dining at Eddie Papa's. One of the things that drew me to the restaurant was their website stated they could accommodate many of their menu items to be gluten-free. My sister, who is gluten intolerant, was visiting from out of town and I've been wanting to take her here to check out their gluten-free menu. The waiter, Jake, was very knowledgeable about substitutions and provided excellent service from beginning to end! The food was very good and the gluten-free mac & cheese (made with rice noodles) was sooooo yummy (I tasted it too!) We will definitely be going back every time she visits - and I want to go back, even without her, to try some other delicious sounding food I saw on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.