25 Jackson Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom
- Phone: 6098845700x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Fri 4-6pm
50% off wines by the glass and beer
Early Seating Menu
$35pp Three Courses
Avail between 5pm-6:30pm
Fri-Sat: 5pm - 10:00pm
Live Piano Music with Paul Sottile:
Thur-Sun: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Open Daily at 4pm, serving small plates starting at 5pm.
Relax by the fire with a glass of wine and a small plate
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ebbitt Room offers a private room with seating for up to 18 guests. In season, private garden dining is available for up to 12 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tara Rothberg 6098845700x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Fri & Sat
- Special Events: The Ebbitt Room at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May invites you to discover the extraordinary flavors of the seasons' best with its 2014 culinary dining series lineup featuring all that Cape May has to offer—from the land and the sea. Using the freshest ingredients from the restaurant's very own 62-acre Beach Plum Farm and collaborating with many of Cape May's local favorites, the Ebbitt Room will once again create five intriguing dining experiences - each with it's own unique 5-course menu highlighting New Jersey's seasonal fare.
See more at: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom/diningspecials
A word from Ebbitt Room
The award winning Ebbitt Room restaurant is nestled within the stylish Virginia Hotel on Jackson Street in the heart of Cape May's historic district. One of Cape May's most popular and famous restaurants, The Ebbitt Room serves inventive contemporary American cuisine with a focus on farm-to-table dining with ingredients grown from our very own Beach Plum Farm. In addition to its regular a la carte menu, The Ebbitt Room offers nightly pre fixe menu's showcasing the best of what each season has to offer. The bar serves small plates nightly. Their wine list, the recipient of numerous Wine Spectator awards features selections from all the major wine regions of the world with an emphasis on boutique & cult producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Ebbitt Room - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Ebbitt Room reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (131)romantic (121)fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (60)notable wine list (38)vibrant bar scene (34)hot spot (22)good for groups (10)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014Started with delicious drinks on the porch followed by a tasty dinner. went there twice in 4 days. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- outside diningSuzyQDined on 8/30/2014Food was fantastic, svc was good but slow, we were enjoying ourselves while for coffee and dessert when a rat ran across our feet. Totally ruined my night, my stomach was upset didn't want coffee or dessert after that. I won't eat outside at the Ebbitt Room ever again if I go back!!!! The barmaid Helen made wonderful drinks and was very pleasant!Special Features:
- Best in Cape MayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We have been going to Cape May for years & finally tried the Ebbitt Room - we wish we found it sooner! Service impeccable, decor classy without being stuffy, live piano music, espresso martini made with real espresso. I got the scallops and my husband got the filet mignon with crab cake - both the best we have had in Cape May. Lobster Caesar was delicious, donuts for dessert melted in your mouth. Will definitely incorporate it into our annual Cape May tradition!Special Features:
- Our Cape May FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Though we enjoy many Cape May restaurants, we decided this trip that the Ebbitt Room is our favorite dinner spot. The food, drinks and people are amazing!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/20141st paying for drinks separately on porch made an already late reservation made our sitting down to dinner 15 mins later. 2nd upon entering the dining room noise level was so loud we could not hear server. 3rd since we had already had appetizers elsewhere we did not order any only to be presented w/complementary charchuterie & cheese platter. A nice gesture but if anyone paid the $32 credit onthe bill they would have been very shocked since the platter consisted of four slices of meats and 2 non-descript cheeses, 2 pickle chips and 2 excellent everything flat breads! The BP farm pork chop was super market quality & lacking the expected prime meat taste. Crab cake was ok but chick pea puree was out of place. Dessert selections uninspiring.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014It was our first visit to the Ebbitt Room. The service was great. The food was great. Our waiter Brandon did an excellent job Would recommend this place and go back.Special Features:
- Perfect for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Lovely restaurant , with fresh ingredients and delicious menu. We went here for date night on our family vacation, and it was the perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the return!Sal23Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I ate our wedding dinner there in 2013 and decided to drive the three hours to have our 1st anniversary dinner there as well and were not disappointed. We opened with the Oysters Rockefeller and they were delicious and my wife had the salmon and I had the scallops and both meals were cooked to perfection. The tiny potatoes provided with my wife's meal were tasteless but we ordered the potato side dish and that was a lot more flavorful. The creme brulee was excellent. Service was very good. Tables are a bit close but the music level was just right and our dinner neighbors were never part of our evening. Valet parking made the experience a whole lot better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first big meal in Cape May on our 25th Anniversary and it was excellent. All other dinners afterward were a let down compared with it. Our server, Andy was attentive, informative and friendly. He recommended the specials to us and we took his advice and they were outstanding. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Ebbitt Room Does Not DisappointOPDinersDined on 8/22/2014A friend recommended the Ebbitt Room for a belated anniversary dinner. My wife and I were not disappointed. Service was prompt and formal without being stuffy. The food was excellent and well-presented. The calamari was The Best Ever - lightly friend and seasoned with green pepper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud. Spotty service.2gourmandsDined on 8/21/2014The Ebbitt Room is a beautiful spot for dinner - except it is way too noisy, and has very spotty service. The food is excellent, the wine and cocktail list is great ---- but you cannot hear your dinner partner. The server that we had did not even bring us bread. We had to ask for it after we were served our appetizer. The service doesn't fit the setting or the price. Try the bar, at least you can sit on a couch out on the porch and hear your companion.Special Features:
- Fabulous Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014My husband and I went to the Ebbitt Room about 15 years ago and had a wonderful dinner. 15 years later, the dinner was just as lovely. We were seated in a quiet space, where we could hear the music, but still talk quietly. The food was wonderful, as was the service. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Amazing.FarmtoTableFiendDined on 8/21/2014We drive from two hours away just to eat the deviled eggs. The food is wonderful, perfectly put together. Try a side of the truffle mac and cheese. It's to die for. The wait staff are attentive but not intrusive. The meal is nicely paced. The prix fixe early menu is the best deal on the East Coast. Go there, you won't regret it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014My husband and I chose the Ebbit Room as the place to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary, a choice I'm glad we made. Our whole experience, from front of the house service to every moral eaten, was memorable to say the least. Our waiter Sergio was very attentive, took his time explaining every special course that was offered, and made sure each item was to our liking. Chef Matt was aware of our anniversary and took the time and effort to personally deliver two beautifully tasteful dishes that he'd created specifically for us. The food couldn't have been any better. Every plate was not only beyond deliscious, but also visually stimulating. Thank you Chef Matt and staff for making our anniversary a special one!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic but......Limoncello25Dined on 8/19/2014We loved this little cozy spot. The atmosphere is warm and romantic and the bar serves the freshest drinks. Only problem? We ordered the lobster salad, light on the dressing. It came out literally dripping with dressing. Other than that we cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally a GemMartyRDined on 8/19/2014Ebbits Room may need to pick up their kitchen game with competitors stepping up theirs. Just saying as this was always our go-to restaurant and it has not been quite up to their normal standards (still good but not great). Bartender and servers are great - the kitchen needs to get back on track. I always rated the Ebbit Room as Outstanding but my last two visits (May & August) were not up to par.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Food was great, atmosphere A+ - service great. I would definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLuvitDined on 8/18/2014Never disappoints when we dine in the Ebbitt Room!Special Features:
- ExcellentrosapDined on 8/14/2014We had a great dinner at the Ebbitt Room on vacation in Cape May. The new menu is wonderful. We enjoyed the Organic Salmon and Crab cakes. The best was the dessert which was the perfect ending---a peach creme brulee and my husband had the toffee bread pudding. It was so good and we can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Dinner at the Ebbit RoomNikiCDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I loved our meal. We had drinks on the porch before heading in for dinner. We were 15 minutes early for our reservation and seated right away. Out server was very friendly, informed, and efficient. We had the beach plum farm salad which was delicious, and the roasted chicken and cap steak for entree. Both entrees were cooked perfect, clever combinations, and overall very enjoyable. We had the fig gelato, which was a little disappointing because the consistency was off. I think something went wrong in the freezing process, because it was icy instead of creamy. We come to the Ebbit Room every time we visit cape may and it never ever disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for mediocre quality.oldpalsDined on 8/11/2014Unfortunately we had a disappointing experience. Supposedly our "order ticket" was lost so we sat for almost 90 minutes to eat dinner. The staff was suitably apologetic and they comped our 2 (very small portioned) appetizers plus gave us another- which we didn't select nor enjoy. One dinner was not described properly by our waiter and turned out to be extremely salty especially the accompanying seaweed type green on the dish. We found a pleasant staff and suitable ambience for Cape May but a limited menu overpriced for it's mediocre quality. We would NOT recommend this restaurant, especially with such excellent competition in the area. You will find better food - especially at these prices - elsewhere.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Second time there. August 11th! My son wanted to eat there for his 14th biethday since we went ladt year and loved it! We were with our friends and my entree and my friend's (the fish special) was horrible! Fishy, overcooked! We had everyone try it and all agreed plus everyones truffle fries were cold. $400 later and we left hungry.Special Features:
- Could be better.RPHonthegoDined on 8/10/2014We went to the Ebbitt room on our 28th anniversary and again this year for our 30th. As before the service was excellent but the food and noise level were not what we experienced two years ago. Appetizers were good: Deviled Eggs (excellent) and steak tartare which was good but lost points for an overdone soft boiled egg on top. I also had the soup which was an interesting puree of roasted garlic topped with grilled shrimp. The entrees were disappointing. My wife had the scallops which she described as slightly underdone. I had the "rib cap" steak which could have been anything; not particularly flavorful over potato puree (meh),roasted radishes and what was advertised as a green tomatillo sauce but tasted more like a generic brown gravy.Special Features:
- ReredishDined on 8/9/2014As always food was excellent along with the romantic atmosphere!Special Features:
- Cape May's bestopenmindedVIPDined on 8/8/2014In a town known for great restaurants, and we have tried all of them, the Ebbitt Room is now our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GGfordinnerDined on 8/8/2014as usual, the ebbitt room was great. service , food, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic!BrooklynGirlDined on 8/6/2014Every visit to Cape May must include a dinner at the Ebbitt Room. The atmosphere, cocktails, service and the wonderful menu really make for a special evening. Everything on the menu is delicious, but you MUST order the Calamari -- it's devine!!Special Features:
- Bravo~DonnaMarieDined on 8/1/2014Simply wonderful. Fabulous food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:
- MarkDined on 7/31/2014Excellent place to Dine out! We had an enjoyable dinner for my wife's 40th birthday! I recommend the steak tar tar, calamari and lobster salad for apps. Dinner entrees i recommend is the pork chops and the Cap steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going DownhillLMO01Dined on 7/30/2014We have eaten at the Ebbitt Room many times. We have noticed, over the past couple years, it is going downhill. The food, which is still very good, is no longer outstanding. We has to wait a long time for appetizers, so they brought us a free one...one shrimp on a plate. One shrimp. What the heck was that? It used to be an outstanding meal, but now it is simply a good meal, and pricey for a simply good meal. Disappointing. I will think twice before returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DtownfamDined on 7/30/2014This was our third time for dinner at the Ebbitt Room . Food was just ok, esp for the prices. Not sure if it was an off night because we have had better quality dinners there. Portions were small. We ordered cocktails and a bottle of wine The calamari was good, Duck pasta undercooked and a bit greasy, deviled eggs 3 small halves for $13.00 did not WOW us. My chicken was well prepared, Pork chop a bit bland, scallops good but not great. The worst part was that we felt rushed like they wanted to turn over the table. For a 300.00 dinner for 3 felt disappointed. Not sure I would go back againSpecial Features:
- Jackson Street DelightHudsonValleyLadyDined on 7/24/2014We had reservations and were seated immediately. My friend had the Heirloom Tomato Salad, with blueberries and pistachios topping. The combination was a delight. It was not sweet, as she thought it might have been. Next time, I will order that! For the entrée I had the Pan Seared Barramundi. It was very good. The sweet corn, leek and beech mushroom ragout, that the mild tasting sea bass was resting upon, had a great texture and tasted wonderful. I had read the reviews prior to going. When our server introduced herself, it was April! April was attentive, friendly and professional. The staff was excellent. We were there after 7 p.m. and enjoyed the background piano music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion treatJW60Dined on 7/23/2014We had the fillet mignon and crab entrée and the New York strip steak special both were excellent as we're the oysters Rockefeller was excellent as was a deviled eggs trio for appetizers. The wine list is extensive. Everything was wonderful I highly recommend it if you are looking for a nice place to have a fine meal at the shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of Cape May's finestOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014This is a go to for out of town guests. Food is delightful, from fresh home grown salads to multiple seafood preparations to a number of steak and chicken entrees. The deviled eggs are surprisingly rich and unique, prepared with exotic fillings (wild boar and smoked trout when we were there). The food is excellent although not perfect. I had a scallop entree which sounded great but was a bit bland, which is hard to do in Cape May, a scallop capital. Service was good and the place is just a beautiful space. Make sure you go early for cocktails on one of Cape May's best porches.Special Features:
- Never dissapointedBobbyHDined on 7/19/2014THE best place in cape may that never dissapoints. Great menu, excellent specialty drinks and lively dining area. Be sure to visit the famous front porch for a drink while you wait for your table. Went back a second time on our recent vacation to cape may.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, service and settingFosters3Dined on 7/17/2014Food was amazing, our server April was friendly and attentive and lovely setting inside the restaurant. This is a family friendly restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentrosapDined on 7/16/2014The Ebbitt Room is such a beautiful place in the center of Cape May. It is small restaurant with a perfect ambience. We have been there often yet not recently. We heard they had a new chef and thought we would try it. The menu had many great options to pick from so our dinner was excellent. The creme brulee along with the toffee pudding dessert was a spectacular ending to a great night. We will definitely return with friends my next visit to Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just PerfectJackVIPDined on 7/15/2014Perfect drinks followed by 5 star dining. Gorgeous setting and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food that got diners talking!KathyDined on 7/15/2014It's not often that strangers dining at a restaurant get talking with each other over the food, but that was our delightful experience recently at the Ebbitt Room. The strip steak with bleu cheese, a special that night, was so gorgeous that diners stared. A man next to my husband nearly drooled when my husband steak was presented. My husband said, " That's what you ordered!" When that man's dinner arrived we all told the man at the next table down that he had to order it too. Which he did. As perfectly delicious as it looked. I was wowed by the pear cucumber gazpacho special. Everything else was wonderful too. The bar has phenomenal cocktails and is worth going to for that alone, but wow dinner sure was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful place, OK filetmoliannDined on 7/14/2014We dined here as a family last week and had excellent service, wonderful drinks and appetizers. The meals overall was very good. I ordered the crab cake and filet and while the crab cake was very good, the filet was average. It was not tender or flavorful, really a filet you would have received at a Outback or something of the like. For the cost and quality of the venue I expected more. We've been to the Ebbitt Room numerous times in the past and always have a nice time, this was my first complaint. Like I said everything else was excellent so it still remains at 4 stars.Special Features: