25 Jackson Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom
- Phone: 6098845700x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Fri 4-6pm
50% off wines by the glass and beer
Early Seating Menu
$35pp Three Courses
Avail between 5pm-6:30pm
Fri-Sat: 5pm - 10:00pm
Live Piano Music with Paul Sottile:
Thur-Sun: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Open Daily at 4pm, serving small plates starting at 5pm.
Relax by the fire with a glass of wine and a small plate
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ebbitt Room offers a private room with seating for up to 18 guests. In season, private garden dining is available for up to 12 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tara Rothberg 6098845700x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Fri & Sat
- Special Events: The Ebbitt Room at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May invites you to discover the extraordinary flavors of the seasons' best with its 2014 culinary dining series lineup featuring all that Cape May has to offer—from the land and the sea. Using the freshest ingredients from the restaurant's very own 62-acre Beach Plum Farm and collaborating with many of Cape May's local favorites, the Ebbitt Room will once again create five intriguing dining experiences - each with it's own unique 5-course menu highlighting New Jersey's seasonal fare.
See more at: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom/diningspecials
A word from Ebbitt Room
The award winning Ebbitt Room restaurant is nestled within the stylish Virginia Hotel on Jackson Street in the heart of Cape May's historic district. One of Cape May's most popular and famous restaurants, The Ebbitt Room serves inventive contemporary American cuisine with a focus on farm-to-table dining with ingredients grown from our very own Beach Plum Farm. In addition to its regular a la carte menu, The Ebbitt Room offers nightly pre fixe menu's showcasing the best of what each season has to offer. The bar serves small plates nightly. Their wine list, the recipient of numerous Wine Spectator awards features selections from all the major wine regions of the world with an emphasis on boutique & cult producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Ebbitt Room - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Ebbitt Room reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (140)romantic (120)fit for foodies (113)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (36)vibrant bar scene (33)hot spot (19)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Recommend with some reservationsSharonDined on 10/18/2014My biggest complaint was the noise level. We were a party of six, who dined on Saturday night when the restaurant was full and a pianoist played in the dining room. The noise level was such that we could not have a conversation. The food was good, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful.FarmtoTableFiendDined on 10/12/2014We've been to the Ebbitt Room four or five times now. It is consistently delicious with a great menu, excellent service and quiet atmosphere. It is a gem. Sometimes we drive to Cape May just to eat there. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, great service and foodSaltEWaterDined on 10/12/2014This was our first visit to the Ebbitt Room. It lived up to its reputation. From the pre-dinner cocktail to the meal itself everything was spot-on. Service was excellent and so was atmosphere. Only minor complaint was that it took a long time to get our dessert and I had finished by double espresso and my wife her tea before we received dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014Need to do something about the noise level.We had to request a new table because the noise from the bar was unbearable.Special Features:
- Delightful diningmeetmethereDined on 10/11/2014Drinks were well made. Enjoyed the blood orange martini and a Cosmo. Food was fresh and well prepared. Four different entrees ordered and each was a palate pleaser. Portions were filling. Service was excellent. We enjoyed our evening. Only negatives were the noise level and the low lighting for menu reading. We will return. One of the very best dining places in Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?Live4foodDined on 10/9/2014Dined here in the past many times and the food has always been outstanding. This time it was just ok. Have always looked forward to coming back but after our last meal we will probably try someplace different. Love the ambiance but the food just did not cut it this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time aroundDine2SmileVIPDined on 10/4/2014Returned to the area and returned after being wowed this Spring on our first visit. Excellent attention to food, pork chop special was very yummy and perfectly cooked. Accompaniments Were perfect. Butternut squash soup was tasty and oysters fresh. Deviled eggs preparation was a little disappointing compared to first visit. Scallop dinner was a little underdone for my liking, but I did not send it back because I was afraid of it being overdone. Diners seated rather close to one another even though other open tables. Bar could be a noisy distraction for some. Will return most likely next time we are in the area, menu inventive. Server attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to wrap up visitDilorenJDined on 9/28/2014We have been to the Ebbitt Room a handful of times and it is consistently excellent. We had the butternut soup which was awesome, oysters and the scallops and pork chop. Best pork chop ever had, the local scallops perfectly seared and the potatoe purée - yum! Get there early and have a specialty cocktail on the porch.Special Features:
- always great!!!!!!doudsDined on 9/28/2014We always go here for valentines and our anniversary. Food and service is always excellent. There is not one thing I would change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ebbit Room 9/27/14LuvmeatpackingdistrictVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was just okay. I started off with the deviled egg special, and my husband had the tomato salad. Those were very good. My entrée was a strip steak that was mediocre at best, and my husband had the scallops which were pretty good. For dessert, we had the ricotta donuts, and they also were just okay. It was extremely noisy, and my husband and I had to keep shouting at each other. I do not think I will be returning there anytime soon, with all the other choices in Cape May.Special Features:
- Never disappointedSebastianVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always a great time, great food, atmosphere, incredible staff.Special Features:
- very good but not greatfinefoodieVIPDined on 9/23/2014Maybe it was a case of too much hype; but our party of four did not love this place. Service was good and friendly; the food was very good. But the tables were much too close together, the room (especially with several large parties) was too loud for relaxation. And this was a post Labor Day weeknight and we arrived around six. We will try it again though and hope the management takes a few tables away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special service-special occasion1ElderlyGentDined on 9/23/2014We celebrated our 25th Anniversary here and it was outstanding on all accounts--Marvelous Service, really creative food, complimentary champagne, very accommodating to special diet needs. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but loudlauraDined on 9/23/2014we went for a birthday dinner with 5 adults. The food was wonderful and hte server was very attentive. However, the room is small amd the tables are rather crammed in. The noise level was such that it was hard to talk to ech other at times.Special Features:
- Fish portion size too small.TTKBVIPDined on 9/20/2014The environment was nice. Food preparation was excellent. The portion size of the barramundi was very small. The waiter said that it was 6 oz. It may or may not have been, perhaps before cooking, but it left one hungry. I have not had such a small portion of fish anywhere in 45 years of dining out. Saturday evening had live piano music. Candles were lit on every table to enhance the mood and improve on the dim lighting. The waiter left ours unlit and finally after a while I needed to request that it be lit. We made a reservation far in advance and still were seated at the most undesirable seat in the house---right next to the doorway to the hotel lobby with a continuous stream of traffic going in and out by our table throughout the meal.Special Features:
- PJRspecialsDined on 9/16/2014The Ebbitt was surprisingly busy for off-season. We were seated too close to a table of 7 women which heightened the overall noise level in the room. Our appetizer choices of devil eggs and lobster salad were both very good. The pork chop entrée was good as well. The lamb was okay but had to be returned because it was too rare. The server, Andy, a young Serbian working on his English, was very conscientious to our needs.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationCharVIPDined on 9/12/2014I went to the E.R. in March and the food, the service and the atmosphere were wonderful, so I thought this was where I wanted to celebrate my birthday w/friends. The night was disappointing for me. The noise level was over-the-top and we could not hear ourselves think let alone talk. Our waiter seemed indifferent, if not perturbed w/us through the entire meal until the dessert...then it was like he came alive. I had the barramundi but it was overcooked. One of my friends had the chicken, and it was dry. On a positive note, the appetizers, devilled eggs and desserts were excellent.Special Features:
- Elegant EbbittSuzyfoodieDined on 9/10/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Cape May. Every course is interesting, beautifully prepared and a flavor delight. The service was impeccable. It is the perfect special occasion choice. Linger after to enjoy an after dinner drink on the porch or in the hotel lobby areas- all unique and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th anniversaryFitz58VIPDined on 9/8/2014Dined for our 25th anniversary. Greeted with respect and had champagne delivered to our table on the house. Great food/ spirits, a must do in Cape May. If only they had outdoor seating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyEndlesssummerVIPDined on 9/8/2014Our first experience dining at The Ebbitt room was wonderful. Bar is small but comfortable with a warm, inviting bartender. The dining space is nicely decorated and cozy. The veal chop special was fantastic and the scallops were perfectly cooked. Espresso martini was awesome. Service was attentive but not over-bearing-- would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak we ever hadpinkladyMDDined on 9/6/2014A charming restaurant with fantastic food! The Maine lobster caesar salad dressing made me want to lick the plate, and my husband's heirloom tomato salad had a a surprising and delicious blueberry balsamic dressing. My barramundi had a crispy skin atop a fresh corn succotash, and his filet was one of the "best he ever had." Dinner was superb, albeit the noise level was too loud for such a romantic, candlelit space.Special Features:
- AMAZING!FabULizVIPDined on 9/6/2014We visited the Ebbitt Room via recommendation. WOW! This gorgeous Victorian home was not what I expected. The whole ambiance was top notch, from the bar to the dining area. Everything we ate was way above our expectations and the service was more than you can ask for. I felt like we were the only patrons there. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- SuperbFeastervilleDined on 9/5/2014The complex flavors and fresh, locally sourced ingredients made a superb dinner. Farm salad and crab cake were followed by exceptional desserts on the fixed price early dining menu.Special Features:
- Creative excellenceJackVIPDined on 9/4/2014The cuisine at the Ebbitt Room is always superb and inventive. My wife's cheese plate appetizer was sensational and beautifully crafted. My lamb sirloin was extraordinary. We shared the wonderful donuts for dessert. Outstanding service by Silvia! All around fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014Started with delicious drinks on the porch followed by a tasty dinner. went there twice in 4 days. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- not impressedRAFIDined on 8/31/2014Usually elegant dining establishments iron their tablecloths. Pasta was delicious but approximate 1/3 cup of it was a small portion even for an appetizer. The halibut special was tender but under spiced. The garlic fries served with the surf and turf almost made up for that. The service was attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- outside diningSuzyQDined on 8/30/2014Food was fantastic, svc was good but slow, we were enjoying ourselves while for coffee and dessert when a rat ran across our feet. Totally ruined my night, my stomach was upset didn't want coffee or dessert after that. I won't eat outside at the Ebbitt Room ever again if I go back!!!! The barmaid Helen made wonderful drinks and was very pleasant!Special Features:
- Best in Cape MayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We have been going to Cape May for years & finally tried the Ebbitt Room - we wish we found it sooner! Service impeccable, decor classy without being stuffy, live piano music, espresso martini made with real espresso. I got the scallops and my husband got the filet mignon with crab cake - both the best we have had in Cape May. Lobster Caesar was delicious, donuts for dessert melted in your mouth. Will definitely incorporate it into our annual Cape May tradition!Special Features:
- Our Cape May FavoriteJLP2283Dined on 8/29/2014Though we enjoy many Cape May restaurants, we decided this trip that the Ebbitt Room is our favorite dinner spot. The food, drinks and people are amazing!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be.PM10Dined on 8/28/20141st paying for drinks separately on porch made an already late reservation made our sitting down to dinner 15 mins later. 2nd upon entering the dining room noise level was so loud we could not hear server. 3rd since we had already had appetizers elsewhere we did not order any only to be presented w/complementary charchuterie & cheese platter. A nice gesture but if anyone paid the $32 credit onthe bill they would have been very shocked since the platter consisted of four slices of meats and 2 non-descript cheeses, 2 pickle chips and 2 excellent everything flat breads! The BP farm pork chop was super market quality & lacking the expected prime meat taste. Crab cake was ok but chick pea puree was out of place. Dessert selections uninspiring.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014It was our first visit to the Ebbitt Room. The service was great. The food was great. Our waiter Brandon did an excellent job Would recommend this place and go back.Special Features:
- Perfect for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Lovely restaurant , with fresh ingredients and delicious menu. We went here for date night on our family vacation, and it was the perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the return!Sal23Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I ate our wedding dinner there in 2013 and decided to drive the three hours to have our 1st anniversary dinner there as well and were not disappointed. We opened with the Oysters Rockefeller and they were delicious and my wife had the salmon and I had the scallops and both meals were cooked to perfection. The tiny potatoes provided with my wife's meal were tasteless but we ordered the potato side dish and that was a lot more flavorful. The creme brulee was excellent. Service was very good. Tables are a bit close but the music level was just right and our dinner neighbors were never part of our evening. Valet parking made the experience a whole lot better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first big meal in Cape May on our 25th Anniversary and it was excellent. All other dinners afterward were a let down compared with it. Our server, Andy was attentive, informative and friendly. He recommended the specials to us and we took his advice and they were outstanding. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Ebbitt Room Does Not DisappointOPDinersDined on 8/22/2014A friend recommended the Ebbitt Room for a belated anniversary dinner. My wife and I were not disappointed. Service was prompt and formal without being stuffy. The food was excellent and well-presented. The calamari was The Best Ever - lightly friend and seasoned with green pepper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud. Spotty service.2gourmandsDined on 8/21/2014The Ebbitt Room is a beautiful spot for dinner - except it is way too noisy, and has very spotty service. The food is excellent, the wine and cocktail list is great ---- but you cannot hear your dinner partner. The server that we had did not even bring us bread. We had to ask for it after we were served our appetizer. The service doesn't fit the setting or the price. Try the bar, at least you can sit on a couch out on the porch and hear your companion.Special Features:
- Fabulous Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I went to the Ebbitt Room about 15 years ago and had a wonderful dinner. 15 years later, the dinner was just as lovely. We were seated in a quiet space, where we could hear the music, but still talk quietly. The food was wonderful, as was the service. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Amazing.FarmtoTableFiendDined on 8/21/2014We drive from two hours away just to eat the deviled eggs. The food is wonderful, perfectly put together. Try a side of the truffle mac and cheese. It's to die for. The wait staff are attentive but not intrusive. The meal is nicely paced. The prix fixe early menu is the best deal on the East Coast. Go there, you won't regret it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014My husband and I chose the Ebbit Room as the place to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary, a choice I'm glad we made. Our whole experience, from front of the house service to every moral eaten, was memorable to say the least. Our waiter Sergio was very attentive, took his time explaining every special course that was offered, and made sure each item was to our liking. Chef Matt was aware of our anniversary and took the time and effort to personally deliver two beautifully tasteful dishes that he'd created specifically for us. The food couldn't have been any better. Every plate was not only beyond deliscious, but also visually stimulating. Thank you Chef Matt and staff for making our anniversary a special one!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic but......Limoncello25Dined on 8/19/2014We loved this little cozy spot. The atmosphere is warm and romantic and the bar serves the freshest drinks. Only problem? We ordered the lobster salad, light on the dressing. It came out literally dripping with dressing. Other than that we cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.