25 Jackson Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom
- Phone: 6098845700x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Fri 4-6pm
50% off wines by the glass and beer
Early Seating Menu
$35pp Three Courses
Avail between 5pm-6:30pm
Fri-Sat: 5pm - 10:00pm
Live Piano Music with Paul Sottile:
Thur-Sun: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Open Daily at 4pm, serving small plates starting at 5pm.
Relax by the fire with a glass of wine and a small plate
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ebbitt Room offers a private room with seating for up to 18 guests. In season, private garden dining is available for up to 12 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tara Rothberg 6098845700x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Fri & Sat
- Special Events: The Ebbitt Room at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May invites you to discover the extraordinary flavors of the seasons' best with its 2014 culinary dining series lineup featuring all that Cape May has to offer—from the land and the sea. Using the freshest ingredients from the restaurant's very own 62-acre Beach Plum Farm and collaborating with many of Cape May's local favorites, the Ebbitt Room will once again create five intriguing dining experiences - each with it's own unique 5-course menu highlighting New Jersey's seasonal fare.
See more at: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom/diningspecials
A word from Ebbitt Room
The award winning Ebbitt Room restaurant is nestled within the stylish Virginia Hotel on Jackson Street in the heart of Cape May's historic district. One of Cape May's most popular and famous restaurants, The Ebbitt Room serves inventive contemporary American cuisine with a focus on farm-to-table dining with ingredients grown from our very own Beach Plum Farm. In addition to its regular a la carte menu, The Ebbitt Room offers nightly pre fixe menu's showcasing the best of what each season has to offer. The bar serves small plates nightly. Their wine list, the recipient of numerous Wine Spectator awards features selections from all the major wine regions of the world with an emphasis on boutique & cult producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Ebbitt Room - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Ebbitt Room reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (144)romantic (130)fit for foodies (112)neighborhood gem (59)notable wine list (38)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (20)good for groups (12)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- ElegantSteakEaterDined on 5/30/2014If you prefer a classy night out for a unique dinner then this is the place. A cocktail on the porch, sitting on a sofa, is like being in your home but with more atmosphere. Dinner in the open plan redesigned dining room has a modern Manhattan flare. Appetizers, salads and entrées are all superb. This is a great place for one or two couples.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014Have read many good reviews on Cape May area restaurants and have been somewhat disappointed in most of them the Ebbitt Room did not disappoint Service and food were excellent A little on the noisy side but well worth the tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful & Very RomanticHHHappy2Dined on 5/30/2014We had a wonderful dinner here! The Ebbitt Room was the #1 dining highlight of our trip to Cape May: the menu offered great options, the food was perfectly prepared and delicious, the presentation and service were excellent (but not pretentious), and the live piano music provided a wonderful background. We loved it and hope to be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The special go place!Lve2cookDined on 5/29/2014Cape May's best! It was a perfect dining experience from the food to the service to the atmosphere! Truly a special place to enjoy great food if you love to cook!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great history and decorSumputerDined on 5/25/2014Beautiful decor and hotel. Very in keeping with Cape May. I went to the blue pig the night before and found myself comparing a lot of the experience. The oyster were better at blue pig but the service and ambience was significantly better at the Ebbit room. The steak although ordered as medium was quite rare. Fine for me but as it's 'for two' it was too rare for my girlfriend. Great value that it came with three sides. Overall food was good but I expected it to trump blue pig.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 978 reviews are from the Ebbitt Room reviews archive.
- Ebbitt Room Is Backdinaglio45VIPDined on 5/24/2014After a 3 year break from the stuffiness of the old Ebbitt Room, we returned on 5/23 for dinner. The room has been updated to include the bar and is a great improvement. The food was exceptional and interesting, the service was quite good. We will definitely return. I had the soft shell crabs, which were perfectly cooked, plump, and meaty. Delicious. My spouse had scallops over bacon infused black rice. I'm not a big scallop fan, but this was an inspired dish. The popovers were amazing. It was a terrific meal and well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrendySalivateDined on 5/24/2014Food was good but portions were extremely small. Ordered pea soup for starters, very tasty for a cup of soup but cost was exorbitant. Same for the salad, very fresh but small portion and expensive. Main was swordfish, 4 small pieces over a bed of something...not worth the money.
- Outstanding!!BigbluegiantfanDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I loved everything about The Ebbitt Room. The flakey cheese biscuits, entrees, desserts and cosmopolitans, were all delicious. Our waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable about the menu. The piano player only added to the classy atmosphere of this wonderful restaurant ! We will definitely dine at The Ebbitt Room whenever we return to Cape May !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodCgj3Dined on 5/23/2014The food was outstanding ! Service was great and our waiter Jordan was attentive and knowledgable about specials . We had a great time !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysameliasgrandmaVIPDined on 5/18/2014We have had dinner here several times, and the Ebbitt Room does not disappoint. Service was excellent, and the waiter offered adjustments to menu items when he learned of specific preferences. This time, i would not say that the food was superlative, but it was uniformly excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMrsKruseVIPDined on 5/17/2014We expected more. Went to valet the car...no valet in sight. So we found a spot on the street, put in some quarters, and asked them for change for $2 to fill the meter. "Sorry, we can only give you 4 quarters." So we had to compress our drinks & dinner to sub 2 hours. Our drinks on the porch with Helen were lovely. Then we were sat in the dining room for dinner, in what had to be the worst seat in the house. Bumping elbows on the wall...right next to the service entry. Shared a cheese tray and then had chicken and duck for dinner (no time for dessert or an extra drink, since they are stingy with quarters). Went there to celebrate my birthday after seeing rave reviews....should have gone elsewhere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Pricey, loud, nice vibe if you are out with friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SJ100Dined on 5/9/2014Excellent on all aspects. Try the Mac and Cheese. Salads and Main Entrees were Great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome overall!Plate2palateDined on 5/9/2014We had a 7:45 reservation but arrived around 7:10 to have a drink or two on the porch area. The drinks were amazing ; fresh fruit was muddled and top shelf liquor was used. The piano guy was playing and there is a nice inside lounge area but we opted for the front porch. When we were seated the waitress explained the specials and we made our decision. I had deviled eggs for app and my husband had beef tartar . Both delicious . The bread was unlike any other bread - they were like pop overs and omg unbelievable ! When asked if we wanted more we usually say no to a second round but said yes to this ! My main entree was the salmon - super fresh, light and seasoned perfectly . He got the duck special which was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner for twoduke1968Dined on 5/8/2014Bar staff very friendly and they make a good drink. Premium cocktails of Grey Goose and Bombay Sapphire are expensive. Oyster appetizer and strip steak for two was excellent. Our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeekdayspeciallunchDined on 5/5/2014we have always chosen Ebbitt Room for our anniversary and we were not disappointed this time either. A wonderful place to dine.Special Features:
- Still missing the markSoundmanDined on 5/4/2014We went back for the first time in several years. The service was prompt, efficient and friendly. The decor is redone which is a plus except for the bar which is no longer separated from the dining area. This increases the noise level. Food was acceptable, but the salad dressing was on the tart side. Potatoes offered with the chicken were barely discernible. The mushrooms and onions were larger. Other sides are an extra $6. One person in our party asked for a substitution on their dish; the answer given by the chef was "No." Coffee was a major disappointment...way too strong and dark for us. The waitress didn't charge us for it which was nice. The Ebbitt Room's has improved since our last visit, but aim is still a bit off.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014Our first trip to Ebbit Room and we highly recommend for the entire experience. The wait staff are professional and knowledgeable. The food is farm to table for most items and delicious.Special Features:
- Mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014The bar is part of the dining room, with no separation so that a noisy crowd that evening was very annoying to diners. In addition, we were very surprised to see an extra charge for additional popovers-no other bread or roll was offered. Food & service was good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2014I have dined here several times and always had a wonderful experience. My only issue is they were out of half of the specials for a 7:30 reservation. They maybe should not have presented the specials menu if that was the case.Special Features:
- DisappointedVinoDined on 4/26/2014Have been going to the Ebbitt for years and this is the first time I can say that I was very disappointed. Other then my salad I was very dissappointed in the meal and the noise level was just awful. I could barely hear my wife talking to me.
- A real throw backSebastianVIPDined on 4/18/2014The Ebbitt room- never a bad experience- food fit for a foodie, cocktails made like days gone by.Special Features:
- Has potentialWeekenderDined on 4/13/2014I arrived knowing the reviews of others but went in open minded. Yes, the popovers are overdone. The are not supposed to be so hard they break apart like glass. The beet salad with goat cheese was tasty. My SO had the surf and turf. The steak was no better than what you'd find in a subpar steakhouse and the crab cake was just edible. We had the steamed toffee pudding which tasted burnt. I kept thinking it was the caramelization, but no, it too had spent too much time in the oven. The ambiance is very nice and does have potential. I don't know what could be done to solve the problem of the bar being it the front of the room when you have cackling drinkers without volume control. We were annoyed and we were at the opposite side of the room.
- Amazing!AngelaDined on 4/12/2014Looked online hoping to find a good restaurant for our romantic weekend and found the Ebbitt Room. SO happy I chose this restaurant. Every plate was better than the plate before. The food had so much flavor. Everything was perfect including the service. I am definitely going back again! I would go as far as saying it was the best meal out I ever had - and I have eaten out A LOT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ebbitt dining outManalaPatDined on 4/11/2014The Ebbitt Room experience was a great dining event for us. We each chose the crab cakes due to it being a Lenten Friday. I must say, they were outstanding. By far the best we each had ever eaten. The atmosphere was very welcoming, calm and somewhat romantic. The wait staff was very friendly and accommodating. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm Fresh Dining at the BeachFeshDined on 4/4/2014My wife and I went to the Ebbitt Room for our 4 year wedding anniversary on a sort-of whim. What a great decision that was! For an appetizer we had their Pale Calamari which was maybe one of the best calamari dishes I've ever had. I had the Frites Steak & Crab Cake with Truffle Fries which was excellent. My wife had Salmon with Farm Vegetables which she loved. I had a cup of coffee which was pretty tasty. The ambiance, for us, was perfect as it made it seem like everyone around us was having a great time. And that makes your experience that much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I really enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I really enjoy the Ebbitt Room. We dine there throughout the year and always have a good time. Saturday night was no exception! However, our one issue was with two new items on the menu. While the eggs were delicious (I could eat an entire plateful if left to my own devices), the short ribs were dry and the gnocchi were more akin to rocks than pillows. We nevertheless remain hopeful for the rest of the season.Special Features:
- Very romanticEngageddinerDined on 3/29/2014My fiancée had the NY strip steak, perfectly cooked. The sides were also delicious, mashed potatoes, sautéed onions, and the truffled Mac and cheese all lived up to the standards. Ambiance was exceptional, we waited for our table by a warm fire where we can order our drinks. The meal was expensive but it was in line with what is to be expected from a restaurant of this quality. The steak the sides and the drinks were under $150, not including the tip. Also, This was our second time at the Ebbitt room and the menu changed drastically so the chef keeps things fun and different and very delicious.Special Features:
- Cape May diningvaluedinerDined on 3/29/2014On our tour of cape May restaurants, the experience at the Ebbitt Room was fair. Beautiful dining room but very noisy and loud piano music as well. The popovers were very tasty, food was fair. Nice presentation, small portions, decent selection but not great. Extensive wine list and $$$. Thus far the Pier House, Peter Shields, Freda's and the great little Chinese place by the Acme have been the best. Nice experience but not a great value.
- Excellent food and service noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014The food is consistently excellent and the service very good. The bar is located in the dining room and was very noisy the night we were there, which diminished our overall satisfaction somewhat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!janiceDined on 3/22/2014Nice restaurant, interesting menu, and a beautiful porch - can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in CM!kansarooDined on 3/22/2014Some of the best appetizers I've had. You must try the deviled egg trio- they change the toppings from time to time, both times they've been amazing. Truffle fries were a little overcooked for my liking, but everything else was lick your plate good!Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereTonyDined on 3/21/2014My wife and I were having a getaway weekend in Cape May and went to the Ebbit Room for a late Friday night dinner. The bartender, Helen, was very friendly and gave some great dinner suggestions. Food was excellent; I had the calamare appetizer and it was excellent. We had trouble choosing an entree since there were so many great choices. Dinner was great and so was the service. Sweet Ricotta Donuts as desert was amazing. Definitely a restaurant you should try in Cape MaySpecial Features:
- DissappointingDisappointing101Dined on 3/15/2014My wife and I dine in Cape May alot and were recommended to retry the Ebbitt Room due to the addition of the new Chef. The experience was very disappointing as our popovers came out burned as well as our Foie Gras appetizer. The entrees were lack luster at best and the desserts were absolutely unedible. The dining room was very dark,we couldn't see the menus, thank God for the candle in the middle of the table. The room was very hot and extremely loud. I would not recommend this room for any occassion or experience. There are certainly better restaurants at far less price ranges to get a more memorable experience.
- The food was excellent ashillsDined on 3/15/2014The food was excellent as always! The service was lacking. I really appreciate spot on service when I am paying $30 an entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening!KFKatfoxDined on 3/15/2014Service was excellent and the food was interesting and delicious! Love that they have their own local farm. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Another great experiencestairman16Dined on 3/14/2014April is a fabulous waitress made great dinner and drink reccomendations. This is our third time dining at The Ebbit room the food is always excellent, however we were a little dissapointed they changed the steak for 2 to a NY Strip from a Rib eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for FoodiesCharVIPDined on 3/14/2014Don't miss this restaurant. This was my first time. I am not sure why I never heard of the Ebbitt Room before now but from now on I will not go to the Jersey shore without stopping there for dinner. I enjoyed every course. Tasting their food was like going on an adventure. I had the beet salad, deviled eggs, duck and donuts...I was stuffed and had to take half my dessert home. Oh, and the popovers were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellelante!!!!!Luv2dineDined on 3/8/2014What a great experience! The food, the service.. I would definitely go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time and Going Back ASAPShaekingDined on 3/7/2014Girls weekend in cape may! Amazing dinner full of incredible farm fresh items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.