25 Jackson Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom
- Phone: (609) 884-5700
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Fri 4-6pm
50% off wines by the glass and beer
Early Seating Menu
$35pp Three Courses
Avail between 5pm-6:30pm
Fri-Sat: 5pm - 10:00pm
Live Piano Music with Paul Sottile:
Thur-Sun: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Open Daily at 4pm, serving small plates starting at 5pm.
Relax by the fire with a glass of wine and a small plate
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ebbitt Room offers a private room with seating for up to 18 guests. In season, private garden dining is available for up to 12 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tara Rothberg 6098845700x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Fri & Sat
- Special Events: The Ebbitt Room at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May invites you to discover the extraordinary flavors of the seasons' best with its 2014 culinary dining series lineup featuring all that Cape May has to offer—from the land and the sea. Using the freshest ingredients from the restaurant's very own 62-acre Beach Plum Farm and collaborating with many of Cape May's local favorites, the Ebbitt Room will once again create five intriguing dining experiences - each with it's own unique 5-course menu highlighting New Jersey's seasonal fare.
See more at: http://www.caperesorts.com/restaurants/capemay/ebbittroom/diningspecials
A word from Ebbitt Room
The award winning Ebbitt Room restaurant is nestled within the stylish Virginia Hotel on Jackson Street in the heart of Cape May's historic district. One of Cape May's most popular and famous restaurants, The Ebbitt Room serves inventive contemporary American cuisine with a focus on farm-to-table dining with ingredients grown from our very own Beach Plum Farm. In addition to its regular a la carte menu, The Ebbitt Room offers nightly pre fixe menu's showcasing the best of what each season has to offer. The bar serves small plates nightly. Their wine list, the recipient of numerous Wine Spectator awards features selections from all the major wine regions of the world with an emphasis on boutique & cult producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ebbitt Room - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Ebbitt Room reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)romantic (98)fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (44)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (11)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- TopsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014In a town with a whole bunch of notable restaurants, the Ebbitt Room has to be one of the tops in our book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh. My. God. Is all I can say about the food-Wow.JRSCoyoteDined on 11/16/2014I am still having flashbacks to the calamari. The butternut squash soup, the crab cakes, the home made ice cream, the steak. Wow. The attached hotel is incredible enough - this restaurant with its staff and chef could be serving meals in upscale Manhattan restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best!FabULizVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our 2nd visit and the second time it was amazing. The service was outstanding from the moment we walked into this quaint establishment. Their deviled eggs were so delicious. Then onto the scallops. I was so full but could not stop eating. After dinner we went to the bar area which couldn't have a better atmosphere. We ordered the donuts and out came this "out of the world" dessert. We are going back Thanksgiving weekend and we are counting down the days. So yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gift Card VisitSusieDined on 11/13/2014It was a gift card which prodded our visit but we will return because we had a wonderful experience. My mushroom appetizer and lamb were both delicious as were my husband's unusual egg appetizer and fish preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cape Mays finestBrubyDined on 11/8/2014Ebbit room is one my favorite restaurants in ALL of New Jersey....never disappointing !Special Features:
- Great Experience, Amazing FoodFvincentDined on 11/1/2014We celebrated a birthday at The Ebbitt Room and the staff was so accommodating to the request we made, even prior to arriving. The atmosphere was great with a live pianist playing in the corner. The food and wine selection was fantastic and service was prompt. Even in the off season the restaurant was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Not Live Up To The PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014When you're listed at as a $$$ star dining establishment, certain minimums must be met. A $17 caesar salad should be lovingly prepared. It should have a slight bite of anchovy. It should NOT have tomatoes. And it should not be accompanied by an ocean of lettuce simply to fill an overly large plate. Balance chef, balance. Now, I understand one might not cook each braised pork loin to order on a busy night, but your line should make sure the meat is thoroughly heated through without cold spots. Unacceptable. Lastly, if you serve the aforementioned braised pork loin with gnocchi, it should be tender throughout – not crisped like a potato skin from the local dive bar. It appears I was the victim of someone's first time on the salamander.
- Disappointing...dfjfVIPDined on 10/31/2014Scallops were undercooked and flavorless at a price of over $30.00 for the entree alone. Everything is a la carte which is fine if the food is superb and it was not. It is a gorgeous historical venue with great ambiance and a nice bar but the food...not so much!
- UnpredictableGracinaVIPDined on 10/25/2014Sometimes you get an excellent meal and sometimes it is a disappointment. My last meal, a ny strip, was a big disappointment.Special Features:
- could have been betterlefty63Dined on 10/25/2014It being our first experience at the Ebbitt room, it was pleasant, but a bit noisy,I felt a little cramped as they have tables very close together,although, my dinner was very good, my girlfriend who likes her food well done, was not cooked to her satisfaction,I also thought it was a bit pricey,i don't think I would recommend it to my friendsSpecial Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The dinner was one of the best dinners I've had in years and the service by Sergio was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodSimonsaysDined on 10/24/2014Innovative and delicious food, attentive service and great wine-excellent choice in Cape MaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous diningFoodlover63Dined on 10/22/2014This was our second visit to this lovely restaurant. I could not wait for their very special deviled eggs. They did not disappoint and the rest of the meal was exquisite as well. Service was impeccable. Try the Blood Orange Martini when you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend with some reservationsSharonDined on 10/18/2014My biggest complaint was the noise level. We were a party of six, who dined on Saturday night when the restaurant was full and a pianoist played in the dining room. The noise level was such that we could not have a conversation. The food was good, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful.FarmtoTableFiendDined on 10/12/2014We've been to the Ebbitt Room four or five times now. It is consistently delicious with a great menu, excellent service and quiet atmosphere. It is a gem. Sometimes we drive to Cape May just to eat there. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, great service and foodSaltEWaterDined on 10/12/2014This was our first visit to the Ebbitt Room. It lived up to its reputation. From the pre-dinner cocktail to the meal itself everything was spot-on. Service was excellent and so was atmosphere. Only minor complaint was that it took a long time to get our dessert and I had finished by double espresso and my wife her tea before we received dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014Need to do something about the noise level.We had to request a new table because the noise from the bar was unbearable.Special Features:
- Delightful diningmeetmethereDined on 10/11/2014Drinks were well made. Enjoyed the blood orange martini and a Cosmo. Food was fresh and well prepared. Four different entrees ordered and each was a palate pleaser. Portions were filling. Service was excellent. We enjoyed our evening. Only negatives were the noise level and the low lighting for menu reading. We will return. One of the very best dining places in Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?Live4foodDined on 10/9/2014Dined here in the past many times and the food has always been outstanding. This time it was just ok. Have always looked forward to coming back but after our last meal we will probably try someplace different. Love the ambiance but the food just did not cut it this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time aroundDine2SmileVIPDined on 10/4/2014Returned to the area and returned after being wowed this Spring on our first visit. Excellent attention to food, pork chop special was very yummy and perfectly cooked. Accompaniments Were perfect. Butternut squash soup was tasty and oysters fresh. Deviled eggs preparation was a little disappointing compared to first visit. Scallop dinner was a little underdone for my liking, but I did not send it back because I was afraid of it being overdone. Diners seated rather close to one another even though other open tables. Bar could be a noisy distraction for some. Will return most likely next time we are in the area, menu inventive. Server attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to wrap up visitDilorenJVIPDined on 9/28/2014We have been to the Ebbitt Room a handful of times and it is consistently excellent. We had the butternut soup which was awesome, oysters and the scallops and pork chop. Best pork chop ever had, the local scallops perfectly seared and the potatoe purée - yum! Get there early and have a specialty cocktail on the porch.Special Features:
- always great!!!!!!doudsDined on 9/28/2014We always go here for valentines and our anniversary. Food and service is always excellent. There is not one thing I would change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ebbit Room 9/27/14LuvmeatpackingdistrictVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was just okay. I started off with the deviled egg special, and my husband had the tomato salad. Those were very good. My entrée was a strip steak that was mediocre at best, and my husband had the scallops which were pretty good. For dessert, we had the ricotta donuts, and they also were just okay. It was extremely noisy, and my husband and I had to keep shouting at each other. I do not think I will be returning there anytime soon, with all the other choices in Cape May.Special Features:
- Never disappointedSebastianVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always a great time, great food, atmosphere, incredible staff.Special Features:
- very good but not greatfinefoodieVIPDined on 9/23/2014Maybe it was a case of too much hype; but our party of four did not love this place. Service was good and friendly; the food was very good. But the tables were much too close together, the room (especially with several large parties) was too loud for relaxation. And this was a post Labor Day weeknight and we arrived around six. We will try it again though and hope the management takes a few tables away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special service-special occasion1ElderlyGentDined on 9/23/2014We celebrated our 25th Anniversary here and it was outstanding on all accounts--Marvelous Service, really creative food, complimentary champagne, very accommodating to special diet needs. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but loudlauraDined on 9/23/2014we went for a birthday dinner with 5 adults. The food was wonderful and hte server was very attentive. However, the room is small amd the tables are rather crammed in. The noise level was such that it was hard to talk to ech other at times.Special Features:
- Fish portion size too small.TTKBVIPDined on 9/20/2014The environment was nice. Food preparation was excellent. The portion size of the barramundi was very small. The waiter said that it was 6 oz. It may or may not have been, perhaps before cooking, but it left one hungry. I have not had such a small portion of fish anywhere in 45 years of dining out. Saturday evening had live piano music. Candles were lit on every table to enhance the mood and improve on the dim lighting. The waiter left ours unlit and finally after a while I needed to request that it be lit. We made a reservation far in advance and still were seated at the most undesirable seat in the house---right next to the doorway to the hotel lobby with a continuous stream of traffic going in and out by our table throughout the meal.Special Features:
- PJRspecialsDined on 9/16/2014The Ebbitt was surprisingly busy for off-season. We were seated too close to a table of 7 women which heightened the overall noise level in the room. Our appetizer choices of devil eggs and lobster salad were both very good. The pork chop entrée was good as well. The lamb was okay but had to be returned because it was too rare. The server, Andy, a young Serbian working on his English, was very conscientious to our needs.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationCharVIPDined on 9/12/2014I went to the E.R. in March and the food, the service and the atmosphere were wonderful, so I thought this was where I wanted to celebrate my birthday w/friends. The night was disappointing for me. The noise level was over-the-top and we could not hear ourselves think let alone talk. Our waiter seemed indifferent, if not perturbed w/us through the entire meal until the dessert...then it was like he came alive. I had the barramundi but it was overcooked. One of my friends had the chicken, and it was dry. On a positive note, the appetizers, devilled eggs and desserts were excellent.Special Features:
- Elegant EbbittSuzyfoodieDined on 9/10/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Cape May. Every course is interesting, beautifully prepared and a flavor delight. The service was impeccable. It is the perfect special occasion choice. Linger after to enjoy an after dinner drink on the porch or in the hotel lobby areas- all unique and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th anniversaryFitz58VIPDined on 9/8/2014Dined for our 25th anniversary. Greeted with respect and had champagne delivered to our table on the house. Great food/ spirits, a must do in Cape May. If only they had outdoor seating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyEndlesssummerVIPDined on 9/8/2014Our first experience dining at The Ebbitt room was wonderful. Bar is small but comfortable with a warm, inviting bartender. The dining space is nicely decorated and cozy. The veal chop special was fantastic and the scallops were perfectly cooked. Espresso martini was awesome. Service was attentive but not over-bearing-- would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak we ever hadpinkladyMDDined on 9/6/2014A charming restaurant with fantastic food! The Maine lobster caesar salad dressing made me want to lick the plate, and my husband's heirloom tomato salad had a a surprising and delicious blueberry balsamic dressing. My barramundi had a crispy skin atop a fresh corn succotash, and his filet was one of the "best he ever had." Dinner was superb, albeit the noise level was too loud for such a romantic, candlelit space.Special Features:
- AMAZING!FabULizVIPDined on 9/6/2014We visited the Ebbitt Room via recommendation. WOW! This gorgeous Victorian home was not what I expected. The whole ambiance was top notch, from the bar to the dining area. Everything we ate was way above our expectations and the service was more than you can ask for. I felt like we were the only patrons there. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- SuperbFeastervilleDined on 9/5/2014The complex flavors and fresh, locally sourced ingredients made a superb dinner. Farm salad and crab cake were followed by exceptional desserts on the fixed price early dining menu.Special Features:
- Creative excellenceJackVIPDined on 9/4/2014The cuisine at the Ebbitt Room is always superb and inventive. My wife's cheese plate appetizer was sensational and beautifully crafted. My lamb sirloin was extraordinary. We shared the wonderful donuts for dessert. Outstanding service by Silvia! All around fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014Started with delicious drinks on the porch followed by a tasty dinner. went there twice in 4 days. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- not impressedRAFIDined on 8/31/2014Usually elegant dining establishments iron their tablecloths. Pasta was delicious but approximate 1/3 cup of it was a small portion even for an appetizer. The halibut special was tender but under spiced. The garlic fries served with the surf and turf almost made up for that. The service was attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- RebootDined on 8/30/2014Our favorite restaurant in Cape May. New chef. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.