2121 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://eatonvillerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 202-332-9672x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Saturday: 9:00am - 12:00am,
Sunday: 9:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: Live Jazz with
- Cross Street: We are located at the corner of 14th and V Street NW
- Public Transit: We are located at the corner of 14th and V Street NW - 2 blocks from the Metro Yellow/Green Line - U Street Cardozo stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Underground parking is operated by Colonial Parking and is accessible from V Street between 13th and 14th.
A word from Eatonville Restaurant
Eatonville is the premier southern food restaurant in the city offering both traditional and non-traditional southern dishes. Sited in the historic U Street Corridor, the restaurant highlights Zora Neale Hurston's strong connection to Washington DC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Eatonville Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (158)neighborhood gem (132)great for brunch (107)fit for foodies (100)special occasion (91)great for lunch (87)hot spot (61)kid-friendly (52)great for outdoor dining (44)late-night find (29)romantic (28)vibrant bar scene (17)scenic view (9)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Worth the trip.nyclezDined on 8/26/2014I live in Gaithersburg, md but I traveled here to celebrate a coworkers birthday. The staff was incredible! He took our order without writing anything down and got everything right. The fried chicken was to die for. I've never had such a juicy fried chicken breast. I tasted the jambalaya and the collard greens which were also very tasty. I ordered shrimp and grits. I got huge shrimp and delicious cheesy grits. We ordered a second basket of the honey cornbread. It was that good. The biscuit that comes with the fried chicken was tough and bland.The red velvet cake was also disappointing Too much dense,blah frosting.The server kindly replaced it with key lime pie. Delish! You will love the tasty drinks.We only had nonalcoholic. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville southern twistvhillmdDined on 8/23/2014We had a table for 10 and had a great time. First, it has parking ( a rarity in D.C.). Our server was very nice and gave us excellent recommendations. It's southern food with a twist, almost an update on the comfort food I grew up on. I cannot remember all that we ordered, but all the plates were complete empty when we finished. The drinks are sweet, even the mimosa. If you don't mind or used to sweet drinks, it great! I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great Food and LocationdrmotxDined on 8/22/2014It was great to go and celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. I wish we had known about the cake fee but that was no biggie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Staff was overwhelmedeaterouterDined on 8/20/2014I recently had my birthday dinner at Eatonville with 15 people and the food came very quickly and it was delicious. Although the food was great, the waitress was a little overwhelmed and had a bit of an attitude, but it didn't take away from the ambience and my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimmyDined on 8/20/2014The food as excellent. Service was a little slow, but we were in no rush.Special Features:
- lunch partySTP72VIPDined on 8/18/2014They were very accommodating for my lunch group of 21. The waitress and staff was very patient despite the whirlwind of activity.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was just okaydnazDined on 8/17/2014I'm not an expert on Southern Cuisine but I was not impressed. The HushPuppy starter had the right flavor but I could not get pass the taste of the burned bread coating. For my entree, the best thing on my plate was the Southern Fried Chicken. The collard greens needed help (spices maybe), the mac and cheese needed salt, and the sweet potatoes were runny. I was not blown away by the food or the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant AtmospherebdaycelebrationDined on 8/17/2014I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the food and the drink selections. The food was excellent, the service was great and the wait time for the food was acceptable. Eatonville is good for any occasion.Special Features:
- Great Soul Food Spoteharvey2Dined on 8/17/2014I love the relaxed feel of Eatonville – great southern cooked meals I felt like I was back at home in the south. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The fried chicken was amazing and the mac & cheese was delightful. They had sweet tea w/ free refills very hard to find in the DC area. The service was wonderful and friendly. I will definitely return to try some other dishes.Special Features:
- Strange seatingBrunchAddictDined on 8/17/2014The only reason I didn't give Eatonville 5 stars is that for some reason, even though the restaurant was pretty empty when we got there, the set our party of 7 in a strange side table that you had to squeeze in and out of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service!CHAR66Dined on 8/15/2014I had a 8:15 reservation during restaurant week. Although extremely busy, we were seated within15 mminutes. Our waiter was great & very attentive. Would definitely return & recommend to many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?SlowYaRollDined on 8/15/2014After arriving I was seated and the hostess stated that someone would be right with me. Well after waiting 30 minutes or more I ask where was our waiter. He finally came over. To make this real short, after eating our fantastic meal I paid the bill and never got my change. All I could say was WOW to my friend. We all have good and bad days with that being said this was the first bad experience I've ever had at Eatonville.Special Features:
- Customer service is not lost here!DCRealEstateProDined on 8/14/2014I love the U street scene so a friend and I chose Eatonville for Restaurant Week since we could hang out after at a nearby spot. My food was great! I ordered the Shrimp and Grits with a side of cornbread and my friend and I shared a bottle of sparkling red moscato. My friend ordered a sandwich and asked for the bacon on the sandwich to be very crispy. When her sandwich did not come with crispy bacon, she sent it back. It came back cold and the bacon clearly microwaved. It was awful! The manager came over concerned and very attentive as my friend explained why she was unhappy. The manager took the plate herself and came back with a new sandwich which was perfect. I appreciate that they did everything to ensure we had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!Tricey819Dined on 8/14/2014We had a wonderful experience, the food was great, the service was awesome and the restaurant is beautiful! We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KIMMEDined on 8/11/2014Over all my experience here was ok but we had a new waiter so service was very verySLOW. . .! And it was a Monday night so it was not very many people!!! Manger should have had someone help him we were a party of 8 or only had him wait on tables of two!! That was a blower!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ruins the experienceLJH26Dined on 8/10/2014The food is good (not excellent). The service is horrible.
- AmazingCourtalexandrea3Dined on 8/9/2014The food and service was amazing! Definitely a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan deliciousness at EatonvilleLoveVeganFoodDined on 8/9/2014We started with the Vegan Gumbo and it was scrumptious. Hearty, flavorful, and just the right amount of heat. Then we had the vegan pan-fried Chicken which was good, but could have used a little more gravy. It came with rice and greens and the greens were very tasty. Also had the pan-fried tofu with mushroom risotto - also very good but could have used a tomato-based coulis or sauce to jazz it up. The only disappointment was that the only vegan dessert they had was sorbet. Hopefully they'll have something sweet and irresistible for vegan diners in the future (like Busboys & Poets already offers).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Disappointing EveningSoChillDinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had been to Eatonville several times for Sunday brunch and were looking forward to trying it for dinner on Friday night, 8/8/14. We arrived early for our reservation and were promptly seated, but found out later the restaurant had marked us as "no show" on Open Table. We ordered a cocktail and a draft beer, but they did not have any traditional lagers or pilsners on tap. We started with cornbread muffins, fried green tomatoes, and 2 bowls of the jambalaya. The muffins were very good while the other 2 items were not good. For dinner we ordered 2 fried chicken chopped salads. The salads were OK, but the chicken was scant and did not have the right fried chicken flavor. Service was fine, but could not overcome the kitchen problems.
- Eatonville ReviewFoodieReviewDined on 8/3/2014I went here for my birthday and we all had the fried catfish and our own sides ( I had the mac-n-chesse and greens). Everyone was very happy and satisfied with their food. I would highly recommend this place to my family and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good timesVeesquaredDined on 8/1/2014I went to celebrate my roommates birthday. There were several other large birthday celebrations going on, but they did not interfere with ours. The food was good, arrived hot and in a timely manner. I was actually trying to kill time to stretch her celebration, but they were too efficient lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Acceptable but not excitingRickVIPDined on 7/30/2014I was intrigued by the many vegetarian offerings on the menu, but the execution did not entirely fulfill the promise. I had the vegetarian gumbo, which was decent, but not terribly lively or spicy. It just tasted like a nice vegetable soup. The trout was particularly recommended by the waiter (OK, I'm not entirely vegetarian), and I found the first few bites quite interesting and tasty. I got two large fillet-halves, but after about a dozen bites, I'd gotten somewhat tired of the dish. I might go back and try some other dishes, as the decor and ambience are quite nice, but I hope the dishes will be better executed than these two.
- After Church MealALF5Dined on 7/27/2014This was prefect for my family and friends after our church service. I am so glad we made reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Nice soul food menu, I got the baby back ribs which were great and my boyfriend got the po'boy which he liked a lot. Nothing that blew me out of the water, but solid eats. Their cocktails were really good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yumGoodFoodD1vaDined on 7/26/2014I've eaten many times at Eatonville and food is always delicious. Out of town guests are requesting that we dine there.Special Features:
- ReviewAnniversaryDined on 7/26/2014This was my first vist to Eatonville, and I love it. The food was awesome...Special Features:
- Good foodLAWannabeDined on 7/26/2014the place was fun - great artwork and generally interesting. the noise was a little overwhelming at times. Our table had us sitting a fair way from each other (group of 4 adults, 4 children) so conversation was strained at times over the noise. Food was tasty though. Interesting menu choices - not just diner breakfast choices. bit of southern influence which was what we were looking for. French toast was yummy (could have done with more compote). Catfish was moist. Grits tasty. Service was slow - took multiple requests to get cream for our coffee. Overall it was fun. Would def come back again.Special Features:
- Disappointing serviceRonGVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was relatively good, especially the fried entrees. Took forever to get our drinks. Server kept "disappearing" for periods of time. Particularly liked the artwork on the walls.
- AMAZING food, terrible serviceintheneighborhoodDined on 7/20/2014title says it all--but drinks were great, food was great, and service was terrible. we waited forever to get the check and for the waitress to initially come to our table. seemed like the table next to us was having the same issues. i know it's a southern restaurant so i didn't expect anyone to be trying to win a nascar race, but it could have been a little better.Special Features:
- That fried chicken breast.....neecyluvDined on 7/20/2014Was tender, juicy and seasoned to perfection. The fried chicken meal was a perfect Sunday dinner.....just like momma makes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Catfish and GritsDeborahR7Dined on 7/20/2014I love the area and how convinent it is to the Metro! The customer service is great. If you want a great brunch this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BrittDined on 7/20/2014The food was amazing, i barely ever finish my food. (my eyes are usually bigger than my stomach) But this time i wiped my plate clean. everything was amazing all the way down to the mimosa's. Great for brunch! Will def be visiting again soon.Special Features:
- Nice brunchluvgr8foodDined on 7/20/2014The biscuits were great...soft and fluffy. When I inquired about the shrimp and grits, the waitress suggested I taste them first to make sure I liked them. They do have a little kick but they were tasty and creamy. I ordered the shrimp and grits and was not disappointed. The portion size wasn't overwhelming but I was full when I left. The sweet tea was also great. Being from the south, it's sometimes a challenge to find real sweet tea. Another person at the table had the red velvet pancakes and said they were good. Overall, it's a place I would visit again.Special Features:
- Great mealBearVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had five, including two grandchildren, and they provided excellent service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceProfessorDDined on 7/18/2014This was my first time dining here and I will be back. Bringing my husband next time.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Have eaten here several times. The wait staff is great, the food is "the bomb". Would always recommend. Have recommended this restaurant to my7 boss and co-workers. Great for any type of event. The only drawback is the parking situation. You could easily get a ticket.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2014Everything was great! The waitress was slow and never came back to give us water saying she was busy. Overall good.Special Features:
- So sostillsnowboundDined on 7/14/2014The food was surprisingly bland though some apps were quite tasty. I didn't have the dessert but my friend had the cobbler and it looked delish. Our waiter was inceedibly nice and helpful. The ambience reminded me of a big chain restaurant.
- Consistently Good!DesignMan78Dined on 7/12/2014I've been to Eatonville maybe 8-10 times over past four years for either dinner or brunch. I always leave happy...never had anything that wasn't tasty. My favorite dish is the Shrimp & Grits. And the service is always top notch. Great neighborhood option for the out of town guests who enjoy creole cookin'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville EatersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful anniversary meal and terrific service. We were seated promptly at a booth of our choosing. We noticed much diversity (age, ethnicity, couples, groupings) and all appeared to be having an enjoyable experience. Our food was delicious, attractively plated, and reasonably priced. In recognition of our anniversary, the manager gave us dessert! We live in Baltimore and plan to return soon. We've been telling our friends that it's well worth the drive.Special Features: