2121 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://eatonvillerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 332-9672
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Saturday: 9:00am - 12:00am
Sunday: 9:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Cross Street: We are located at the corner of 14th and V Street NW
- Public Transit: We are located at the corner of 14th and V Street NW - 2 blocks from the Metro Yellow/Green Line - U Street Cardozo stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Underground parking is operated by Colonial Parking and is accessible from V Street between 13th and 14th.
A word from Eatonville Restaurant
Eatonville is the premier southern food restaurant in the city offering both traditional and non-traditional southern dishes. Sited in the historic U Street Corridor, the restaurant highlights Zora Neale Hurston's strong connection to Washington DC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Eatonville Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (136)neighborhood gem (108)fit for foodies (88)great for brunch (82)great for lunch (70)special occasion (57)hot spot (47)kid-friendly (34)great for outdoor dining (26)late-night find (21)romantic (20)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (2)Show More
- ChuckyDined on 11/21/2014The greens were cold, the fried chicken was dry, the salmon was over cooked and the mac and cheese tasted like Velveeta. The seafood gumbo was delicious. I was there two years ago and the food was good.
- Great food, but the service was a little slow.PAWsDined on 11/21/2014I've been here a few times now, and not a single time have I been seated on time, even though I have a reservation and my whole party has shown up within five minutes of each other. Additionally, the servers are very nice, however they are not very attentive, we had to track ours down to order and to get the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chazzDined on 11/19/2014Always a fresh pleasure. I don't know how, but they still surprise me with something great, every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2014Nice comfortable atmosphere, very friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun vibe and great foodJmedcDined on 11/16/2014Went for brunch. Friendly staff, colorful and unique decor. Great southern food, big portions at moderate prices. Will definitely go back to try other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Grilled Pineapple Salad and....perfectluncherDined on 11/15/2014The grilled pineapple and spinach salad was fantastic! It had just the right flavor, temperature (slightly warm), and freshness that made it absolutely scrumptious. The shrimp and oyster Po'boy was delicious too! The shrimp and oysters were lightly battered and tasty. The bread was a nice compliment with the inside softness and external crustiness that you would want in this sandwich. Overall, a nice meal complimented by attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville is a treasure.GaileaDined on 11/14/2014Second time here when visiting DC. Loved the fried green tomatoes and vegetarian mushroom loaf entree. The restaurant's decor pays tribute to the African-American author Zora Neale Hurston. My first visit inspired me to read Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God, which was an exceptional book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better early in the morningImABlackPoemDined on 11/9/2014I usually go to Eatonville for brunch at 12 or 1 pm. Going at 10 am was perfect! I was seated immediately, my waitress was very attentive...I don't think there is a better time to go to Eatonville.Special Features:
- good food. great serviceThomasZeigler66Dined on 11/8/2014Thr restaurant was crowed as expected on a Saturday night. I made a reservation in advance. When I checked in the host explained that the table would be ready in 10 minutes. I checked back then and was told the table was being prepared. Shortly thereafter i received a text saying the table was ready. We were seated and the waitress was prompt in greeting us and taking the drink order. Within minutes the host and a waiter delivered two appetizers we didn't order. He explained they were complimentary since we made a reservation and the table was not ready on-time. I really appreciated the gesture, which went a long way to making me an even more regular guest. The food and drinks were very good, as usual. A very nice evening at Eatonville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiegirlLuvfoodDined on 11/6/2014First time at eatonville and loved it! Service and food were spectacular! Very good menu with delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerLinyDined on 11/5/2014Great experience mid-week birthday dinner for 14 people, choose a set menu giving guests lots of entrees for one price. One server but she was on time and very mindful of all our needs. Everyone received their food at the same time hot and very tasteful... Some guest ordered extra to take home. Will I be going back? YESSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent southern cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014the service was impecable. Very reasonable price.Special Features:
- Excellent venueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014We had a party of nine people. One-third of the party ordered catfish and grits. It was excellent. Everyone enjoyed their selections and loved the ambiance. Service was attentive and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville, your next destination?DCGatorDined on 11/2/2014Food was good. Wine was good although very limited selection. Very noisy with a birthday party dinner on the other side of the restaurant. Server was not attentive; we had to chase down the manager to get our check. I had high hopes for this restaurant as it is located on the 14th St corridor. With the large amount of competition on 14th St, Eatonville is will not be our next destination.Special Features:
- Lots of vegetarian optionsBobbie19Dined on 11/2/2014Lots of vegetarian options - delicious vegan gumbo!Special Features:
- DisappointingTekaDined on 10/31/2014A co-worker recommended the place because I am from the south and they serve soul food. Food was decent but service was lacking. In terms of specifics, not a lot of seasoning, grease and sugar. So collards were lacking a bit and grilled chicken was bland. Sweet mash potatoes was great but servers were intentionally not attentive. Price was decent too.Special Features:
- Very Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014My family decided to have our monthly date at Eatonville and was pleasantly surprised with how much we truly enjoyed everything; from the atmosphere, to drinks all the way to the end of our entrees. The staff were very helpful and they blended well between their visits to the table. I will truly be re-visiting this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place poor serviceDCDinerDined on 10/25/2014My group had a good time. The food was good at a fair price. The service however was not.. Waitress did not come back and check on us. One persons food took an hour to get to him.. Just not good service at all but again the place overall was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family fun at EatonvillePEFinDCDined on 10/25/2014We had a great night at Eatonville. Service was good, food was very good...have to say better than expected. It was loud in the restaurant but it added to the experience. Definitely would recommend to others, especially for groups. Not necessarily a romantic place, but a fun jubilant restaurant. The whole family loved it.Special Features:
- Good Food..timing could be betterAvidDinerDined on 10/25/2014I recently dined at Eatonville and thoroughly enjoyed the food both appetizers and main course. The waitress was very attentive but not intrusive. One thing that I was disappointed about was the delivery of the appetizers. The appetizers arrived 1 or 2 minutes AFTER being served our main entrees. Therefore we had quite a full table. I would have preferred receiving my appetizers in advance of the entree. To be fair the waitress did ask if we wanted to wait and order the entrees after we received the appetizers. Had I known they would both arrive together I would have taken the waitress up on her offer.Special Features:
- GoodEaterGoodEaterDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I have taken friends to Eatonville for dinner twice in the past 3 weeks. The food is GREAT, I love the decor, service is friendly, it's easy to get to, and it's even possible to get street parking. The only downside is that it can get quite loud on a Friday night, which makes conversation difficult. But I dream about the fried chicken!Special Features:
- ImpressedNayaDined on 10/23/2014I have to give it up to Eatonville. I have been here before but this time the food really wow'ed me! Not to mention it was a last minute party of 16 for my bday. They were very accommodating, the food was AMAZING (everyone said so) and the ambiance was just right for my 31st bday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014We loved it. The fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, burger, and fried chicken salad were all awesome. Our waiter Karim was really great, and the beer as well as the juleps were good. Thanks!Special Features:
- Excellent for Professional Groups!WorldTravelerDined on 10/20/2014The menu was impressive, and the ambiance was perfect for our group event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wasn't that goodlovelyinparis76VIPDined on 10/19/2014Ordered the farm fresh market omelet with grits. Didn't like the grits at all. The biscuits had a weird after taste. My drink wasn't well made because the sugar wasn't dissolved. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchUSAFRet9212Dined on 10/19/2014We've dined here numerous times and have never been disappointed. It's a great spot for romantic dinners and brunch with friends. The food is always good and I'm in love with the lavender lemonade.Special Features:
- First time in DCTX2014Dined on 10/17/2014I really enjoyed myself! I ordered the fried chicken, mac & cheese and collard greens....I was NOT a fan of the greens. Everything else was delicious but I'm from Texas and we do not prepare our greens with whatever was used to make them sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern style comfort foodIndyinDCDined on 10/17/2014My mother, brother and his family were in town and we needed a family friendly place that could accommodate 3 kids (aged 7-13). Eatonville was a top option on Yelp so I decided to give it a try. The interior are was interesting and provided a stimulating visual environment. There were good food options for the kids and adults. All of the food was very good and the service was excellent. Everyone enjoyed the experience and the food. I'd definitely go back with the family, or just with my wife.Special Features:
- Awesome experience!ATLgirlDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant come highly recommended by a friend in Atlanta. We had a large group and everyone was completely satisfied! The good was amazing and the service was outstanding! This will be my go-to spot whenever I visit DC!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot for dinnerPAWsDined on 10/4/2014I like this restaurant, however they made us wait about 20 minutes to sit, even though we had a reservation. It was fine, but a little annoying as we had a 12 year old with us and it was getting pretty late. The good and service after that however was very good!Special Features:
- Great soul food and nice vibe.MarkVIPDined on 10/4/2014My wife had been wanting to come here for some time (especially since she is a Zora Neale Hurston fan), so we decided to go for the first time. Our biggest regret is that we didn't come here sooner. Everything we ate was outstanding! The corn muffins were so tasty, and the sweet butter complemented it perfectly. I had the shrimp and grits and my wife had the catfish and grits - both really good. The side of macaroni and cheese was exceptional. And our cocktails were out of this world - my wife had the mango cocktail, and I had the grown and sexy - and boy, did I feel grown and sexy after that drink! Being a white boy from Boston, I got a new appreciation for soul food. We plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent southern food! Beautifully presented. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lepopoviVIPDined on 10/3/2014So glad we made reservations! Walked right in and sat down! Food was delicious and it was definitely a good portion. Very affordable as well.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedJaziJDined on 9/28/2014Very nice spot. I visited the establishment for brunch over the weekend. I had the omelet and my friend had the fish and grits. Both were amazing, so complaints and the mimosas were good as well. I'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!dcdinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014I had the hash and eggs and it was a nice small/medium portion but the shocker was the egg! They poach the egg and then panko crust it and lightly deep fry it. I've never had an egg like that before and it was delicious! My roomie had a chicken, biscuit, and mac and cheese dish and she loved it. It's not exactly a value meal but the flavors are worth it!Special Features:
- Brunch - Southern StylethedivaesqDined on 9/27/2014As a native Texan, I tend to side-eye southern food restaurants in locales outside of the south. However, I was very pleased with the food at Eatonville. The catfish, grits, greens, mac n cheese were all cooked and seasoned very well. A group of four of us ate at the restaurant while visiting DC from Houston and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. I got the Eggs & Fixings, as did another in our group, while two others got the catfish and grits. The service was ok. They brought out the wrong meal for two of us and so they had to wait while it got corrected. And we had to ask the waitress for condiments several times. But overall, we enjoyed the ambiance and the restaurant was bright and filled with sunlight. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitawesomefoodDined on 9/21/2014Great environment, friendly staff, AWESOME food & location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePickyLadyDined on 9/14/2014Great food. Great Atmosphere. Awesome. Loved it. Myelf, family and friends will be back.Special Features:
- love the food but not the serviceYdaisiesVIPDined on 9/14/2014Eatonville has the most incredible food. I'm from California and had never had Southern food. My gosh those Gruyere Jalapeño grits are outstanding. However, the service is hit and miss. I've been here when it was great and today it was meh. I don't think our server liked us or maybe she was having a bad day or maybe she felt we were out of place because we weren't of her race. Nonetheless, I will continue to come here because of the food and hope service improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014The food was great. Our server seemed distracted or a little overwhelmed had to wait on a couple items but overall my party had a good time. If the server was more attentive I would have given a higher rating but the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.