2121 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://eatonvillerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 202-332-9672x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Saturday: 9:00am - 12:00am
Sunday: 9:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Cross Street: We are located at the corner of 14th and V Street NW
- Public Transit: We are located at the corner of 14th and V Street NW - 2 blocks from the Metro Yellow/Green Line - U Street Cardozo stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Underground parking is operated by Colonial Parking and is accessible from V Street between 13th and 14th.
A word from Eatonville Restaurant
Eatonville is the premier southern food restaurant in the city offering both traditional and non-traditional southern dishes. Sited in the historic U Street Corridor, the restaurant highlights Zora Neale Hurston's strong connection to Washington DC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Eatonville Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (134)neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (92)great for brunch (87)great for lunch (67)special occasion (59)hot spot (45)kid-friendly (40)great for outdoor dining (34)romantic (22)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (8)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Excellent for Professional Groups!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The menu was impressive, and the ambiance was perfect for our group event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchUSAFRet9212Dined on 10/19/2014We've dined here numerous times and have never been disappointed. It's a great spot for romantic dinners and brunch with friends. The food is always good and I'm in love with the lavender lemonade.Special Features:
- First time in DCTX2014Dined on 10/17/2014I really enjoyed myself! I ordered the fried chicken, mac & cheese and collard greens....I was NOT a fan of the greens. Everything else was delicious but I'm from Texas and we do not prepare our greens with whatever was used to make them sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern style comfort foodIndyinDCDined on 10/17/2014My mother, brother and his family were in town and we needed a family friendly place that could accommodate 3 kids (aged 7-13). Eatonville was a top option on Yelp so I decided to give it a try. The interior are was interesting and provided a stimulating visual environment. There were good food options for the kids and adults. All of the food was very good and the service was excellent. Everyone enjoyed the experience and the food. I'd definitely go back with the family, or just with my wife.Special Features:
- Awesome experience!ATLgirlDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant come highly recommended by a friend in Atlanta. We had a large group and everyone was completely satisfied! The good was amazing and the service was outstanding! This will be my go-to spot whenever I visit DC!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot for dinnerPAWsDined on 10/4/2014I like this restaurant, however they made us wait about 20 minutes to sit, even though we had a reservation. It was fine, but a little annoying as we had a 12 year old with us and it was getting pretty late. The good and service after that however was very good!Special Features:
- Great soul food and nice vibe.MarkVIPDined on 10/4/2014My wife had been wanting to come here for some time (especially since she is a Zora Neale Hurston fan), so we decided to go for the first time. Our biggest regret is that we didn't come here sooner. Everything we ate was outstanding! The corn muffins were so tasty, and the sweet butter complemented it perfectly. I had the shrimp and grits and my wife had the catfish and grits - both really good. The side of macaroni and cheese was exceptional. And our cocktails were out of this world - my wife had the mango cocktail, and I had the grown and sexy - and boy, did I feel grown and sexy after that drink! Being a white boy from Boston, I got a new appreciation for soul food. We plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent southern food! Beautifully presented. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lepopoviVIPDined on 10/3/2014So glad we made reservations! Walked right in and sat down! Food was delicious and it was definitely a good portion. Very affordable as well.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedJaziJDined on 9/28/2014Very nice spot. I visited the establishment for brunch over the weekend. I had the omelet and my friend had the fish and grits. Both were amazing, so complaints and the mimosas were good as well. I'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!dcdinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014I had the hash and eggs and it was a nice small/medium portion but the shocker was the egg! They poach the egg and then panko crust it and lightly deep fry it. I've never had an egg like that before and it was delicious! My roomie had a chicken, biscuit, and mac and cheese dish and she loved it. It's not exactly a value meal but the flavors are worth it!Special Features:
- Brunch - Southern StylethedivaesqDined on 9/27/2014As a native Texan, I tend to side-eye southern food restaurants in locales outside of the south. However, I was very pleased with the food at Eatonville. The catfish, grits, greens, mac n cheese were all cooked and seasoned very well. A group of four of us ate at the restaurant while visiting DC from Houston and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. I got the Eggs & Fixings, as did another in our group, while two others got the catfish and grits. The service was ok. They brought out the wrong meal for two of us and so they had to wait while it got corrected. And we had to ask the waitress for condiments several times. But overall, we enjoyed the ambiance and the restaurant was bright and filled with sunlight. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitawesomefoodDined on 9/21/2014Great environment, friendly staff, AWESOME food & location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePickyLadyDined on 9/14/2014Great food. Great Atmosphere. Awesome. Loved it. Myelf, family and friends will be back.Special Features:
- love the food but not the serviceYdaisiesVIPDined on 9/14/2014Eatonville has the most incredible food. I'm from California and had never had Southern food. My gosh those Gruyere Jalapeño grits are outstanding. However, the service is hit and miss. I've been here when it was great and today it was meh. I don't think our server liked us or maybe she was having a bad day or maybe she felt we were out of place because we weren't of her race. Nonetheless, I will continue to come here because of the food and hope service improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014The food was great. Our server seemed distracted or a little overwhelmed had to wait on a couple items but overall my party had a good time. If the server was more attentive I would have given a higher rating but the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern ComfortAndreaDDined on 9/13/2014I really enjoyed my experience at Eatonville. The food was amazing and the service was better. I had the Shrimp and Grits and it was the best I've ever had! Will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!bbbbVIPDined on 9/13/2014Eatonville is a great staple for the neighborhood. Great food and a great space.Special Features:
- Great!Courtalexandrea3Dined on 9/13/2014The service is great every time I go here and the food is true southern comfort! Delicious food and it is always hard to choose what you want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it and keep coming backyummyDined on 9/12/2014Not a great spot for a lite bite, but wonderful heavy southern food -- fried green tomatoes, gumbo, ribs and shrimp and grits. Sure the salads are terrific but not the reason to frequent Eatonville! make sure to have the corn muffins!Special Features:
- Relaxed, good food, drinksPatindcnowVIPDined on 9/10/2014First time weeknight empty at 7 filled up within an hour. Happy hour $8 Mango Mohito was great..Ordered seafood slider appetizers(1 fried oyster,1 schrimp and 1 catfish slider..the rolls were too big for small portion of seafood but was tasty. Corn bread very good. Friends had fried chicken which they enjoyed with mac and cheese and collard greens (too vinegary). I had ribs which fell off the bone..Sauce was sweet-could have used a little heat to make them great. Mashed sweet potatoes were very good as was the sweet potato sausage hash. Their house cold slaw was also very good included grilled corn which was different. Overall was great outing..Spotted a few senators and congressmen enjoying themselves. Look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville EatsSharidDined on 9/6/2014Second time here and not the last. The cornbread is so good you want to order extra just cause you can. Left with full stomachs and didn't dare look at dessert. Will definitely be back for more and soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeeverydayJoeDined on 9/5/2014Eatonville. An interesting find close to U Street. The food was very good. However, if you a looking for "fit fare", this may not be the place for you. The drinks were great too. All-in-all, a great place and fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A U Street FindZahavaVIPDined on 9/5/2014Met a friend for lunch. Had the crab soup and the orange and beet salad with grilled shrimp. Everything was delicious, including the after lunch coffee, which never happens. Service was excellent - very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RefreshingExtreamlySatisfiedDined on 9/4/2014I have been twice. Sunny the waitress is a rare find in the DC area. Totally attentive and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummm22planteDined on 9/1/2014great brunch, food, ambiance, and service! The murals are visual eye candy!Special Features:
- Great for groups of friendsfoodloverDined on 8/31/2014We had a group of five which grew to seven. The waitress was very relaxed and accomodating to the confusion of ordering and serving a group with random arrival times. Food was excellent. Not oversalted as in so many restaurants these days. Room was full and lively, but we could still hear everyone at the table speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought our out of town guestskeperkin4Dined on 8/29/2014This was a great choice for our Southern out of town guests. They really enjoyed the food and the decor.Special Features:
- Lunchtime in AugustWisdomBrownDined on 8/27/2014Eatonville is a great place to experience good food after touring the city or if you work in the District to grab a decent lunch in a relaxing atmosphere. The restaurant is spacious and the lighting is perfect for that time of day. The staff is courteous and if your cellphone needs charging they will try to accommodate you. The location is perfect since public transportation is abundantly available. This is my 3rd visit and I try a different entrée each time and Eatonville has not disappointed me or my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trip.nyclezDined on 8/26/2014I live in Gaithersburg, md but I traveled here to celebrate a coworkers birthday. The staff was incredible! He took our order without writing anything down and got everything right. The fried chicken was to die for. I've never had such a juicy fried chicken breast. I tasted the jambalaya and the collard greens which were also very tasty. I ordered shrimp and grits. I got huge shrimp and delicious cheesy grits. We ordered a second basket of the honey cornbread. It was that good. The biscuit that comes with the fried chicken was tough and bland.The red velvet cake was also disappointing Too much dense,blah frosting.The server kindly replaced it with key lime pie. Delish! You will love the tasty drinks.We only had nonalcoholic. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatonville southern twistvhillmdDined on 8/23/2014We had a table for 10 and had a great time. First, it has parking ( a rarity in D.C.). Our server was very nice and gave us excellent recommendations. It's southern food with a twist, almost an update on the comfort food I grew up on. I cannot remember all that we ordered, but all the plates were complete empty when we finished. The drinks are sweet, even the mimosa. If you don't mind or used to sweet drinks, it great! I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great Food and LocationdrmotxDined on 8/22/2014It was great to go and celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. I wish we had known about the cake fee but that was no biggie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Staff was overwhelmedeaterouterDined on 8/20/2014I recently had my birthday dinner at Eatonville with 15 people and the food came very quickly and it was delicious. Although the food was great, the waitress was a little overwhelmed and had a bit of an attitude, but it didn't take away from the ambience and my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimmyDined on 8/20/2014The food as excellent. Service was a little slow, but we were in no rush.Special Features:
- lunch partySTP72VIPDined on 8/18/2014They were very accommodating for my lunch group of 21. The waitress and staff was very patient despite the whirlwind of activity.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was just okaydnazDined on 8/17/2014I'm not an expert on Southern Cuisine but I was not impressed. The HushPuppy starter had the right flavor but I could not get pass the taste of the burned bread coating. For my entree, the best thing on my plate was the Southern Fried Chicken. The collard greens needed help (spices maybe), the mac and cheese needed salt, and the sweet potatoes were runny. I was not blown away by the food or the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant AtmospherebdaycelebrationDined on 8/17/2014I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the food and the drink selections. The food was excellent, the service was great and the wait time for the food was acceptable. Eatonville is good for any occasion.Special Features:
- Great Soul Food Spoteharvey2Dined on 8/17/2014I love the relaxed feel of Eatonville – great southern cooked meals I felt like I was back at home in the south. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The fried chicken was amazing and the mac & cheese was delightful. They had sweet tea w/ free refills very hard to find in the DC area. The service was wonderful and friendly. I will definitely return to try some other dishes.Special Features:
- Strange seatingBrunchAddictDined on 8/17/2014The only reason I didn't give Eatonville 5 stars is that for some reason, even though the restaurant was pretty empty when we got there, the set our party of 7 in a strange side table that you had to squeeze in and out of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was okbabygirlt430Dined on 8/16/2014The food was good. Our waiter had the shortest attention span. He was not consistent in making sure we were ok. I saw him at the bar chit chatting with the bartender for a while. My drink was not refilled the entire time I was there. I had to flag a waitress down to help us because our waiter was no where to be found. When he was at our table his attitude was that of someone who really didn't want to be there. I wont be back.Special Features: