Eat. An American Bistro
4005 Atlantic Avenue
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Eat. An American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatbistro.net/
- Phone: 7579652472
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Erick Heilig
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Eat. An American Bistro
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Eat. An American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Eat. An American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)special occasion (44)neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (31)romantic (30)notable wine list (15)hot spot (11)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent and delicious food.GdborgesDined on 8/31/2014Great food. Ambiance, decorations and the whole experience were awesome. It was our second time here and ae loved it both visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The restaurant has private parking nor are there any public parking lots in the immediate surrounding blocks. The ambiance is cute but nothing special. The menu's offerings are definitely "foodies" type dishes but the food itself was just OK, especially when you consider the price. None of the dishes "popped." they were simply OK w/ respect to taste. The portion sizes, especially their version of appetizers, are not much more than a single bite. Entrees - Pork chop left a lot of dense pieces of fat on the chop which doesn't lend itself to added flavor since it's not cooked down much. Veggie lasagna was basically a small pile of peppers and zucchini on top of each other (for 23 bucks). We left the restaurant looking for something to "EAT"
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014A regular must for Terri and I. Great bistro menu, bar and specials with a true local appeal. Eric and his staff have it going-on. Highly recommended for a martini and or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply awesomeMrsAimpVIPDined on 8/29/2014Everything on the menu is delicious and prepared to perfection! The caprese salad with balsamic beads was to die for. Fresh fish and crab cakes will never let you down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCarriebear350Dined on 8/21/2014Great menu, I could have chosen 5 different options and been happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a neat little placecardocDined on 8/18/2014Everything was just wonderful. The food, the service, the place itself. Great unexpected twists on common dishes. Beautifully done. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Great FoodOnlythetruthDined on 8/15/2014This is my 8th visit and EAT continues to impress. Brought a first timer from Norfolk and she was equally impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over cookedAhahhppVIPDined on 8/13/2014Tuna was overlooked..... Chef wanted to disagree with me about it and sent it back out. It WAS overlooked considering I asked for it as rare as they could make it.....I have eaten here a lot. Seems like things are going down hill a little. I hope not as I do generally like this place.Special Features:
- I loved this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Wow, what an amazing restaurant! I live in Washington, DC and have no shortage of good restaurants to choose from and am not easily impressed, but Eat in Virginia Beach blew me away. The creativity of the dishes, the quality of the ingredients, the generous portions and all for very reasonless prices--well, I was impressed and found myself wishing we had an Eat in DC. My friend and I liked it so much we found ourselves wishing we were going to be in Va Beach a second night, just so we could go back. I know this may sound like hyperbole, but I was really that impressed. Go check out Eat-you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgiaDined on 8/4/2014As always, Eric, Paul, and crew did a fine job of impressing me and my guests!Special Features:
- Secret RevealedJeanieBeanieDined on 7/31/2014Have been coming to Virginia Beach for years and eating at the same places. Discovered this via Open Table--lovely! Great food and opportunity to be outside to dine.Special Features:
- Very nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Had a really good time and the food was excellent. Amazing Pork Belly!Special Features:
- BIRTHDAY DINNERBILLBETTYDined on 7/21/2014Took our daughter there for her 58th birthday dinner... small, intimate, need reservations. Daily specials are the way to go... 1/2 price wine on Tuesday nights... presentation and food were outstanding..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodsbassinDined on 7/20/2014Outstanding food quality, creative menu, and good service. Not like most of the touristy restaurants in the area. I'd definitely go back next time I'm in Virginia Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Options & Unusual CombosJonvacaDined on 7/18/2014Small menu shows everything is made with care. Food was not just delicious but also a treat for the eye. I was a little worried by the sophisticated and unusual options, but did not need to worry, everything was fabulous. Wish they didn't charge for extra bread. The prices were high enough to cover the indulgence of more than one slice per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate here before & would do it againNAVYRN2VIPDined on 7/13/2014Great place for local and fresh fish. Funky location but awesome food and service. would definitely return!Special Features:
- Consistently greatDave409Dined on 7/12/2014This was our fifth time going to Eat for a date nite. Each time we go the staff is always great, our server Will did a wonderful job as did the many of the other ladies working there. The was food was wonderful, and it's simply one of our favorite places to eat in the area, and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealBYBYDined on 7/9/2014The salads are interesting-loved the spinach. My husbands got the shrimp & grits and this was one of the best. A little heavy on the sauces/dressings but so tastey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014I showed up for my reservation and was turned away because they did not have enough servers... needless to say, my date and I were not impressed.
- Best on the BoardwalkPyatachokVIPDined on 7/4/2014When we stay in VB this restaurant is a must for us. Great taste, great portions, great service, great ambiance and vibe, and great value for all of the above. This summer they surprised us with outstanding approach and accommodations to our Grandchildren needs (one of whom is severe allergic to many foods). We visited them twice during our stay and both times were outstanding experiences. Thanks a lot EAT, we will be back.Special Features:
- old favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Used to live in Va Beach and always make a point to dine at Eat when I am back for a visit. Everchanging creative menu and great wine pairings. Grilled octopus salad was amazing!Special Features:
- Excellent. But where's ....OneCheckPleaseDined on 7/1/2014Fantastic food, service and surroundings. Love visiting here when I come to town. BUT no Hasselhoff burger? That's like going to Morton's and they tell you they don't have steak. It's a unique signature dish. Worth traveling from Washington,DC Oh well, maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite spotFoodfanDined on 6/29/2014Eat has the BEST food, service and drinks at the beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Recommendation by a LocalFoodServicePassionDined on 6/27/2014We met a wonderful couple from Virginia Beach who was dining next to us in one of our local restaurants while traveling through Charlotte NC. Once we learned they were from VB, we immediately asked for restaurant recommendations because ironically, we were traveling to VB the following week for vacation and hadn't had a tremendous amount of luck finding good restaurants there in the past. EAT was exactly what we were looking for. Super cute, intimate restaurant with an excellent menu. Our waitress was super sweet, attentive and engaging. We will definitely suggest dining at EAT to our friends and family who are visiting the area.Special Features:
- Best steak I ever enjoyed.MomofSharkBaitDined on 6/21/2014The filet was beautifully cut and perfectly cooked. The chèvre mashers were so good I wanted to cry. A great night of eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!eatoutgalDined on 6/20/2014Great restaurant! The quality of the food is very good and the presentation is lovely. Some of our favorites include :Mexican-style corn, the veggie lasagna, the iron-seared prime filet of beef, and we love their dijon-chive deviled eggs! Tried the crispy glazed brussels sprouts Friday night and they were excellent too. We love dining at Eat; especially dining outside. The patio ambience improved this summer with the nice green umbrellas they acquired for the tables. My only complaint is that it is hard to get a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousProfessorPiVIPDined on 6/18/2014If you are looking for a unique food, look no further than Eat. Imaginative combinations that are a delight to the palate. Loved everything I had. We will definitely get back there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2014Wonderful food! Excellent service and great wine recommendations. We loved it.Special Features:
- Always a treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014We no longer live in VA Beach but when we visit we make a point of going to "Eat". We ate out on the patio so it was very quiet since we were the only ones out there. We just shared appetizers this time. Everything was delicious and portions were as described. Wine recommendation was perfect.Special Features:
- Fav in VA BeachArtistDined on 6/13/2014We ate here two evenings out of the four we spent in VA Beach. Attentive, intelligent service, perfectly prepared imaginative food, and a menu that changes from time to time. We will always eat at Eat, whenever we go to Virginia Beach. It is small, so make sure you have reservations. Chef-owned. Locally sourced food.Special Features:
- AwesomeeatgoodfoodDined on 6/8/2014I brought some business associates from the mid-west to town for some training and we came here for dinner. They guests were raving about the food, service and ambiance. This place is one of my personal favorites because it is always consistent, delicious and the service is always impeccable. I can't say enough about this place.....LOVE IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rodney0414Dined on 5/31/2014small place with great food. if weather is nice sit outsideSpecial Features:
- EAT - appropriately namedMbpaulDined on 5/30/2014You should eat here. The service (Rob) was outstanding - helpful & the perfect amount of intervention. I had the nut crusted goat cheese salad w/pomegranate vinegar estate and a fish special - a crispy chunk of grouper on top of ratatouille resting on a bit of fresh made pasta. Fab presentation & flavors to match. Hubby went with the filet w/zin Demi glacé -- you never get tired of a perfectly cooked tender piece of beef - but he could have eaten a whole plate full of the mini baguette size grilled cheese that accompanied his yummy tomato basil soup. Totally loved this small, peaceful contemporary setting at the quiet north end of the boardwalk and may go back before our VA Beach visit is overSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Great place for dinner...food was great and the service was the best! It is very close to the beach and we were able to stroll on the beach after dinner. Beautiful experience and I highly recommend EAT, An American Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 306 reviews are from the Eat. An American Bistro reviews archive.
- Great place to eatMapptDined on 4/27/2014We dined with friends and each of the 6 of us enjoyed our good quality meals. We will return to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014We have been here several times and both times the food and service exceeded our expextations. Our serer was appropriately engaged but allowed us to dine at our leisure. His knowledge and wine selection assistance were spot on. The food were prepared perdectly in perfect portions. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great food but slow serverLadyDined on 4/18/2014Food was amazing. Sit by door to bathroom outside was annoying. Especially since it was windy and freezing. Server had to be asked several times for drink refills and other items. Friend sat without utensils for about 5 minutes after her food was brought.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal...stmckayVIPDined on 4/12/2014We found Eat on Opentable and it looked very good and certainly delivered on that! Food was outstanding and better than anything we could have hoped to find in VA Beach. Wonderful meal, fish special was superb, lamb appetizer was super tasty, and everything else was as well. Great meal...Special Features:
- Always great menu!roxyvbDined on 4/11/2014We all enjoyed our dinners--sat outside…all went well and we ended the night with expressos and wonderful desserts! :)Special Features:
- Love, Love, Love EATEmVBDined on 4/10/2014Casual, comfy, excellent service and food is amazing! Creative, farm to table vibe with great beer, wine and cocktail list. Love that you can make a meal of several small plates or order more traditional entree. Everything we ordered was delicious: the fresh Eastern Shore oysters, the roasted corn soup topped with lump crab and creme fraiche, the kale caesar, the short ribs with polenta and the crab two ways (softshell and crab cake), and the hot rum bread pudding with raspberry ice cream, fresh berries and caramel sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.