Eat. An American Bistro
4005 Atlantic Avenue
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Eat. An American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatbistro.net/
- Phone: (757) 965-2472
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Erick Heilig
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Eat. An American Bistro
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Eat. An American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Eat. An American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (37)romantic (30)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (14)hot spot (11)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Eat Does Not DisappointNicoleGDined on 11/20/2014I've only been to Eat a few times, but I have never been anything less than impressed by the food and the service. I will continue to recommend it to friends and return as often as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I have eaten at many restaurants in Hampton Roads and this is my favorite. The chef is very inventive. I was a little disappointed my favorite dish was not on the menu but that means he is trying new recipes. I had the shrimp and grits. The shrimp melted in my mouth. The sauce was a little over-powering. My friend had the veal meatloaf which had a crispy outside, moist inside and wonderful seasoning. We drink a lot of water and our glasses should have been kept full and they weren't. But our waiter was wonderful, very accommodating. I highly recommend this restaurant. It does get a bit loud so if you want a romantic or quiet dinner go early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menuvirginiabeachkurtDined on 10/25/2014I had the bone-in pork chop and my wife had the oyster stew special. We were both very happy with our meals and our service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not so muchBillDined on 10/25/2014I have eaten at EAT numerous times and I love the food and the service is great. This time not so much. I had to stop a service person ten minutes after we had been seated and ask her to send someone to take our drink order. My companion was served her wine but it was several more minutes before I got my cocktail. We eventually got our meal which was excellent and to their credit, our server did comp our wine order and apologized profusely.Special Features:
- GourmetinternationaltravelerDined on 10/18/2014Food can be boring sometimes but this menu was innovative and exciting. Loved the complex dishes and selection. We only had appetizers and that was a great dinner. Oysters Rockefeller served on a sizzling cast iron pan, "Ants on a Log" served on a split roasted beef bone & the pork bellies Asian style in the hoisin bun. All delicious :) My husband says it is his new "favorite" restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Referral - Special FindFoodnwineluvinVIPDined on 10/17/2014We were referred to Eat by a waiter at Catch 31. He hit the mark - great for foodies and the chef is known for favoring local fresh foods. The food was incredibly fresh and creative. The combinations may not, at first, strike one as being a good combination but the flavors melded together so well. The phrase of the evening was "OMG!"Special Features:
- Almost perfectJanesrive123Dined on 10/9/2014I almost would vote 5 stars if the rock fish tasted better. The side dishes were excellent . The waitress was very sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JZVBfanDined on 10/7/2014We have eaten here several times. We find the combination of flavors to be interesting and delicious. We look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative menuPrbayVIPDined on 10/4/2014What a great find. The menu was creative and not boring. We ended up having several appetizers because we could not decide. the bone marrow and escargot was unbelievable. Will go back next time we are in Viriginia BeachSpecial Features:
- Game Changer!GKayDined on 10/3/2014Three friends walk into a bar. They All leave hours later full of decadent tapas and creative drinks. We will DEFINITELY be going back soon!Special Features:
- Must try!VBnativeandherhubby2Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I have been looking for a chance to go try this restaurant for some time. At the recommendation of a friend, we finally were able to make it out there. Food and wine were excellent. We tried several appetizers both on special as well as regular menu and would recommend the Oysters Rock- they were outstanding! We will definitely be back to try more.Special Features:
- Tuesday night disappointing Crabs56candyNorthEnderZDined on 9/30/2014We went with a party of 4 and raved about the lump crab cakes from a previous experience in mid July. Three of us ordered the lump crab cakes and it took a long time to get our food. The crab cakes were all bread and fillers, dough like with very little crab meat. I wish the waiter had said they were out of crab it was so disappointing. My husband had the filet mignon and it was great as usual.The bread was great and the salads and the bouchon dessert is always awesome. I am wondering if EAT is more predictable on the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely disappointedfanaticalfoodie825VIPDined on 9/27/2014Was excited to try this place out. I foolishly 'tried' it out when we had family visiting from out of town. I must admit that the food was excellent, HOWEVER, I will never return!!!! The service was by far the absolute WORST that I have EVER experienced. Our waiter had a knack for disappearing and simply not doing his job. Dirty plates were left on our table from our appetizers, drinks were not refilled, we received our bread basket right before our main courses arrived only because we asked. Our entree order was taken only after our appetizers were consumed, so that we had to wait another 45 minutes before dinner arrived. There are other restuarants in the area with food just as good if not better...with much better service.
- This is where I Eat in VA Beach!CJBPGHVIPDined on 9/25/2014Whenever I travel to VA Beach, I look forward to dinner at Eat! From their drafts and cocktails to their appetizers and entrees, everything I have had has been wonderful. All of my guests agree that this is one of the finest in VB!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerAnniversaryCoupleDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent as always. The service which I have seen people complain about before was just a touch slow on the initial welcome. Once seated we waited to be greeted by our server. Once that lag was over his attention was fine. The food is amazing and the dining experience is what you expect of a fine restaurant. The bread pudding was a perfect way to end the dinner and our bottle of wine. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OkaySearchingvbDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had heard a lot about Eat and decided to give it a try. The appetizers were excellent. I would say that it could use an expanded menu. The desert was the best part of the nite.Special Features:
- Awesome foodie restaurant!beachfoodieDined on 9/12/2014Everything that you order here is excellent. They also have some nice wines - limited list, but nice. The specials are always to die for. We went back 2 nights later to try other things that we did not have room for the first night! The service was excellent too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceMmmmmmfoodDined on 9/6/2014After looking into a nice quiet place with good food to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary, we decided to try Eat. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. The wait staff was very friendly and informative. We ordered several dishes and they were all wonderful. The spaghetti was probably the best I have had in a long time. I suggest you make a reservation if you plan on dining there from about 6:30 on as it started to fill up pretty quick. We will be going there again soon. Oh yeah, they just started the Sunday Hamburger event, that should be interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/4/2014Possibly the best food in Virginia Beach. When our server said you'll see how good the food was he was dead on! Wine list was extensive and reasonably priced for the quality of wines available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of flavor, great serviceGulleysFoilDined on 9/4/2014I finally decided to try EAT this trip to Virginia Beach. My husband and I enjoyed a nice quiet meal since we visited after Labor Day. We enjoyed the flavor of a Caprese salad, a garlic Caesar and a goat cheese salad. My husband had the Halibut special of the day and I had the Spaghetti a la Momma. For dessert we enjoyed the grilled butter angel cake with fresh fruit. Our waiter was helpful in advising us about the menu. Service was efficient without being intrusive. We will definitely put it on our must visit list.Special Features:
- EAT is fantastic!56candyNorthEnderZDined on 9/3/2014EAT is a great beach restaurant with excellent food and service. I like that the lighting is soft and relaxing and the noise level is so quiet and the food is definitely 5 star. I have eaten the best Halibut and crab cake of my entire life at EAT. Their filet mignon is excellent as are there apps, oyster rock and salads. I highly recommend EAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT MENU & FOODgargilDined on 9/3/2014Plenty to choose from - small plates to complete meals. Many unusual items. Wife loved the squid salad - best we had since living in Italy. Same goes for the Caprese salad, which we both had. I even found my favorite wine on the menu - Vino Verde. perfect for the lite dinner we enjoyed. Did not dine on the patio, but it looked very inviting. This was our first visit, but will not be the last.Special Features:
- Excellent and delicious food.GdborgesDined on 8/31/2014Great food. Ambiance, decorations and the whole experience were awesome. It was our second time here and ae loved it both visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The restaurant has private parking nor are there any public parking lots in the immediate surrounding blocks. The ambiance is cute but nothing special. The menu's offerings are definitely "foodies" type dishes but the food itself was just OK, especially when you consider the price. None of the dishes "popped." they were simply OK w/ respect to taste. The portion sizes, especially their version of appetizers, are not much more than a single bite. Entrees - Pork chop left a lot of dense pieces of fat on the chop which doesn't lend itself to added flavor since it's not cooked down much. Veggie lasagna was basically a small pile of peppers and zucchini on top of each other (for 23 bucks). We left the restaurant looking for something to "EAT"
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantDiningwithRonandTerriDined on 8/29/2014A regular must for Terri and I. Great bistro menu, bar and specials with a true local appeal. Eric and his staff have it going-on. Highly recommended for a martini and or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply awesomeMrsAimpVIPDined on 8/29/2014Everything on the menu is delicious and prepared to perfection! The caprese salad with balsamic beads was to die for. Fresh fish and crab cakes will never let you down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, solid musicShelbiRenaeDined on 8/28/2014I returned to Eat on my second trip to Virginia Beach after my first visit to the restaurant had been exceptional. I brought a work associate and was pleased to see the variety of types of foods at different price ranges. The specials were exceptional as always, the server was very pleasant and knowledgeable, and the music was GREAT. I recommend this to anyone in Virginia Beach who wants a great experience.Special Features:
- AwesomeCarriebear350Dined on 8/21/2014Great menu, I could have chosen 5 different options and been happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a neat little placecardocDined on 8/18/2014Everything was just wonderful. The food, the service, the place itself. Great unexpected twists on common dishes. Beautifully done. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Great FoodOnlythetruthDined on 8/15/2014This is my 8th visit and EAT continues to impress. Brought a first timer from Norfolk and she was equally impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over cookedAhahhppVIPDined on 8/13/2014Tuna was overlooked..... Chef wanted to disagree with me about it and sent it back out. It WAS overlooked considering I asked for it as rare as they could make it.....I have eaten here a lot. Seems like things are going down hill a little. I hope not as I do generally like this place.Special Features:
- I loved this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Wow, what an amazing restaurant! I live in Washington, DC and have no shortage of good restaurants to choose from and am not easily impressed, but Eat in Virginia Beach blew me away. The creativity of the dishes, the quality of the ingredients, the generous portions and all for very reasonless prices--well, I was impressed and found myself wishing we had an Eat in DC. My friend and I liked it so much we found ourselves wishing we were going to be in Va Beach a second night, just so we could go back. I know this may sound like hyperbole, but I was really that impressed. Go check out Eat-you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgiaDined on 8/4/2014As always, Eric, Paul, and crew did a fine job of impressing me and my guests!Special Features:
- Secret RevealedJeanieBeanieDined on 7/31/2014Have been coming to Virginia Beach for years and eating at the same places. Discovered this via Open Table--lovely! Great food and opportunity to be outside to dine.Special Features:
- The following 333 reviews are from the Eat. An American Bistro reviews archive.
- Very nice!KevinBuffaloDined on 7/24/2014Had a really good time and the food was excellent. Amazing Pork Belly!Special Features:
- BIRTHDAY DINNERBILLBETTYDined on 7/21/2014Took our daughter there for her 58th birthday dinner... small, intimate, need reservations. Daily specials are the way to go... 1/2 price wine on Tuesday nights... presentation and food were outstanding..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodsbassinDined on 7/20/2014Outstanding food quality, creative menu, and good service. Not like most of the touristy restaurants in the area. I'd definitely go back next time I'm in Virginia Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Options & Unusual CombosJonvacaDined on 7/18/2014Small menu shows everything is made with care. Food was not just delicious but also a treat for the eye. I was a little worried by the sophisticated and unusual options, but did not need to worry, everything was fabulous. Wish they didn't charge for extra bread. The prices were high enough to cover the indulgence of more than one slice per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate here before & would do it againNAVYRN2VIPDined on 7/13/2014Great place for local and fresh fish. Funky location but awesome food and service. would definitely return!Special Features:
- Consistently greatDave409Dined on 7/12/2014This was our fifth time going to Eat for a date nite. Each time we go the staff is always great, our server Will did a wonderful job as did the many of the other ladies working there. The was food was wonderful, and it's simply one of our favorite places to eat in the area, and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.