16049 97 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5X 6E4Neighborhood:
MalaysianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eastedmonton.ca/
- Phone: 7804578833
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Malaysian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Nathin Bye
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from East Restaurant
Our menu features street hawker fare inspired by the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur. It is a mix of Chinese and Malaysian cuisines, blending the tastes of both countries into unique dishes. EAST Restaurant is the place to be if you want to try delicious and unique "Old Town" Chinese Malaysian cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)great for lunch (5)romantic (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Better this timeReviewManVIPDined on 9/19/2014Choosing some different items I got a much better experience. The spring rolls are still outstanding and very soft. The chicken wings are the best I've had in the city. I was too full for a dessert.Special Features:
- ExceptionalsnowmagnumDined on 8/21/2014Truly superb food, pleasant airy room, excellent and very friendly service. Consistently fabulous. The roti is addictive - crispy, flaky, chewy. You'll want to order extra to take home and enjoy later. Particularly recommend the butter oat chicken and butter prawns, but everything is fresh, perfectly seasoned, and simply but elegantly presented. The lemon iced tea is exquisite. My new favourite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omg, soooo good!SusanDined on 8/20/2014Food, service and ambiance were just awesome! Really delicious food and very friendly service! I definably recommend this restaurant! One of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Head north to EastlunchtimeDined on 7/28/2014Group of 10 for lunch, and not a single person that wasn't raving about the taste, presentation, and quantity of food. This is a great lunch spot. We wish it was a little more central, but a 15 minute drive from town will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but feels a bit genericTimGDined on 7/26/2014There are interesting flavours in the dishes presented. It is a much shorter menu than a typical Chinese restaurant -- indicating the focus they are bringing to the table. So, you get unique dishes with unique flavours. Which is good. But, it feels a bit too much like a typical strip mall restaurant. I think this is a good place for an informal meal but is not a place for special dining or a deliberate event.
- Best find in EdmontonCinderpinDined on 7/5/2014We decided on East because our dinner companions raved about the food...they were so very, very right! We chose dishes we were not entirely familiar with, and each one hit a home run. Every dish was so signature and so fantastic, none of our table of 6 could choose a favorite (although we did always put the pork belly on the top 3). I think this has become my new favorite restaurant in Edmonton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fathers day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014we have had take out at least 10 tiimes. it was our first time dining in and we had company with us. it was very very good. we enjoyed it all and will definitley be back for more.Special Features:
- The following 24 reviews are from the East Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014I have been trying to get to this restaurant since it opened. Finally made it there last Friday. Had a great time, food was original and delicious, service was friendly and prompt. The couple that we met there were just as pleased and where shocked to know a restaurant of this caliber is just down the street from their house, they didn't even know it. We will be back.Special Features:
- Good food for priceTigerhouseTeamVIPDined on 4/29/2014East has many interesting and classic Asian style foods to choose from -- stir fried and steamed are the methods of preparation. All are generous portions and meant to share for 2 or 3. At lunch you can get individual combo plates, but not at supper time. I would suggest that East provide knives at the table settings for helping to cut up their over sized veggies and meat dishes, or slice them into smaller bite sized pieces for those of us that use chopsticks. Excellent ginger tea - sweet and spicy at the same time. Parking can be challenging if coming during lunch or on weekends with Timmie's right across the drive. Best to park in behind the lot (Canuck Tire) and just walk around. $10-15 per dish & you'll probably have left overs.
- Great FoodAngryOrangeDined on 4/18/2014This is fast becoming one of my favorite restaurants for Asian food. Amazing care in the food preparation and presentation. I am not a tofu guy, never liked it in anything, but this tofu was amazing and I will definitely order it again. I highly recommend you check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Malaysian/Chinese Food!GourmetchicVIPDined on 4/17/2014This place is a winner if you are looking for delicious Malaysian/Chinese food in a restaurant that offers a casual atmosphere and very good service. We started with the Curry Soup and the Duo of Spring Rolls (both were fantastic). We shared the flavourful Szechuan Chicken and the Beef Rendang, with lots of food to take home as leftovers. We are so glad that we found this restaurant will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was impressed with the restaurantwolverineDined on 3/21/2014I was impressed with the restaurant.We went there with our 4 kids. Even though it is not really a kid friendly restuarnt. They made the children feel welcomeSpecial Features:
- Worth a trysewnicecaDined on 3/14/2014We tried this restaurant after someone recommended it to us. Our party of six really enjoyed the food and will definitely recommend it to others. The service was good and the server recommended some of the dishes for us to try. We would recommend the Scheuzan ginger beef and the naan bread with curry sauce. The seafood hot pot is also a must try if you are a seafood fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJustmeDined on 3/2/2014A nice restaurant with good staff, the menu is extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's gotta be good!MasterQDined on 3/1/2014I was impressed with the food and how each plate had their own flavors. So unlike many Chinese restaurants, where it seems the cooks tend to use the same spices regardless of what the dish is. We had the highly recommended pork belly but I found that although the flavor of the sauce was great, the actual pork was just deep fried bacon and scant. The silver noodles, stir fried vegetables and the 3 flavor ribs were fantastic, as was the daily soup we ordered which was a curry soup. Flavors are wonderful and very individual per dish. It was a pretty busy night, so service was slow, so it wouldn't be fair to comment. They held their own. I would very much recommend this restaurant and I definitely will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapponted with my reservationhazelDined on 3/1/2014I booked my reservation about weeks ahead I guess. But on the exact day, i decided to call the restaurant to move it 30 mins later and added more people as our plans that day changed. We got into the place 30 mins late of my booked time, so when I approached the waitress she said she already gave away our seats. So i was disappointed.Because of that my guests had ti wait 30mins to ger seated. I understand that it was busy that night, but I believe I deserved being informed atleast or asked before they gave the seats away.. But overall, my friends who I invited for my birthday was happy with the food. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014Firstly, I didn't think the restaurant would be in a strip mall so we were a little over-dressed for date-night. There were only two mediocre choices of wine, so we chose none. Our satay app was very dry and hard, overcooked, but the sauce was flavourful. Our shrimp dish was delicious though. Our meat dish was also tender and flavourful, but there was gristle in every bite, so it needed dissecting before you put it in your mouth. I found that tedious after a couple of mouthfuls. Overall, the meal was OK but I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Enjoyed by AllLadiesWhoDineDined on 2/20/20146 of us returned to East Restaurant for our monthly supper. We were there about 2 years ago and both times, the food was outstanding. The Butter Oat Chicken and Silver Noodles were absolutely divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obsessed with the Butter PrawnsLoveXiaoDined on 2/15/2014Overall, I had a great experience at East :) The Butter Prawns were unforgettable!! Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All the dishes we tried wereBigFatMonkeyDined on 2/15/2014All the dishes we tried were super tasty and were every interesting (especially the 3 flavor ribs!). Highly recommended if you want to add some variety to your asian food selectionSpecial Features:
- Gem in the northSammyDined on 2/3/2014Love the decor of East and the food is sooo good. Love the different flavour profile of their Chinese food and the high quality of ingredients. We need to go back often to try different dishes as some are so good that we want to order them every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Side GourmetDeodandDined on 2/1/2014It's about time we had a restaurant in north Edmonton that cares about quality. We have more than enough chain restaurants and casual eateries to choose from, and until now, the Chinese food scene was mediocre. I was really impressed with the food at East. Even the simple dishes that are on every Chinese menu, such as the wonton soup, were executed well.Special Features:
- Nice curry flavorsYummyfoodDined on 2/1/2014The butter shrimp was the best dish we ordered. Also the ribs 3 ways was very tender and flavorful. Really recommend these dishes. Have to go back to try more of the other goodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, would recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014Dishes were very tasty, piping hot and service was fast. Staff were knowledgeable and very helpful in selecting dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet up with friendsJohnBDined on 1/10/2014Lovely spot for meeting with friends and enjoy some great food. Service staff worked as a team to provide very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendJohnmangoDined on 12/28/2013Advertised as Asian Fusion, but nothing fusion about it. Ordered: Indian Roti (doughy), Seared Beef (the worst dish: tough beef, no flavor, beef is not seasoned - just topped with some sweet bean sauce), Beef Rendang (OK if you call it curry beef, but definitely not traditional Rendang which is usually "dry" in that the sauce is all absorbed into the beef though long cooking), Fried Crispy Sweet & Sour Pork Belly (second worst dish - too sweet sauce on pieces of unknown deep fried stuff - might as well be just fried dough because I could not taste any pork), and Hokkian Noodle (OK dish, nothing special). Service is quite good, but that does not make up for the food. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Vibrant Namao GemElleDined on 12/22/2013My family is Malaysian-Chinese so we went into this restaurant with low expectations (because nothing can beat your own mother's cooking, obviously), but came out blown away by many of the dishes here. Everyone (except my poor mum) really loved the dishes we tried here. We have tried the chicken curry, butter shrimp, beef rendang, matabak, hong siew fish, some sort of sambal vegetables, I really don't recall which others we have tried before. Our family is used to non-fancy Chinese restaurants, so the level of service we received at East was way above and beyond what we normally get. Lastly, I find the ambiance of the restaurnt weird because of it being located at the Namao shopping centers.Special Features:
- Amazing service and willingness toJasmineDined on 12/6/2013We met friends for a casual dinner and to meet their new 7-week old baby girl. This was the perfect venue. Between the amazing food (we couldn't stop tasting it even after filling up) and the staff's willingness to help us with the baby (change table, privacy for breast-feeding, and helping up warm up her formula when she was still hungry) we were amazed. New parents, able to relax in a restaurant for a couple hours and actually eat without bothering anyone? Miracle! We will definitely be coming back, baby or not :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's Day outLJo1Dined on 11/9/2013We met here for a girlfriend lunch and everyone enjoyed themselves. The staff were patient and very accommodating. The food was great. They make a fantastic ginger tea - definitely not from a tea bag. Yum.Special Features:
- first time at EastDinerDined on 10/12/2013Food was very good. An interesting twist on Asian flavors. A bit noisy, but it was a Saturday night... Would return to try more menu items! Many others looked good.......Special Features:
- Not to my tasteReviewManVIPDined on 9/27/2013I may have gotten the wrong menu choices but I didn't like this experience. The appetizer spring rolls were good but the battered pork belly was too sweet. It was like eating bacon cookies. The pumpkin and condensed milk was okay but not too appetizing.Special Features: