East of Eighth Restaurant
254 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
East of Eighth Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eastofeighthny.com/
- Phone: (212) 352-0075
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International
- Executive Chef: Martin Markovitz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: We offer full service catering from business lunches of 10 or more to lavish events of over 1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room which seats up to 30 guests comfortably. We have a private garden ding area which seats up to 55 guests in the warmer weather & up to 40 guests in the winter (it is enclosed & heated in winter). We have an upstairs bar area which can accommodate cocktail parties of up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Micky Feldman 2123520075
- Entertainment: We offer entertainment on special occasions, such as New Year's Eve.
A word from East of Eighth Restaurant
Casual yet upscale neighborhood restaurant with dining on 2 floors, 2 bars & a lovely garden with koi pond & fountain. Eclectic American menu featuring tapas, soups, salads, pastas, steaks, chops, fresh fish & several vegetarian options. Conveniently located in the heart of Chelsea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East of Eighth Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (84)great for brunch (57)great for outdoor dining (57)great for lunch (45)good for groups (38)fit for foodies (27)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (22)special occasion (19)late-night find (12)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Perfect dinner on a rainy night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Excellent Margarita from the bar. Wonderful table for 2 upstairs, overlooking the rain-swept street. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was delicious and plentiful. Since we arrived for an early dinner around 5:00, we took advantage of the amazing "early-bird special". Three courses for $20! It costs me more than that to eat at home. If I lived closer, I'd eat there every night. The overall experience wins a gold star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bueno!Koalax1Dined on 11/16/2014Enjoyed the food surrounded by wonderful friends. Special kudos go to the female waitress. She was simply terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014Service was slow and inattentive. Restaurant was not that busy during our visit so service should have been better. I ordered a cocktail and the waiter brought the wrong drink. Would be hesitant to return. Temperature in the patio ranged from cold when the space heaters were off to overly warm when the space heaters were turned on.
- Five women had a very nice lunch here.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We come here on a regular basis and our lunch was very pleasant. We are not rushed and the staff is generally very accommodating. On this particular day, the waiter seemed preoccupied and uninterested in waiting on us. We had to ask for more rolls three times and we had to ask another waiter to get coffee refills. Hopefully, the waiter was having a "bad day" as he had previously been very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationTruthSeekerDined on 11/14/2014Me and a friend took a BF for a surprise early 50th birthday celebration. I made specific requests of management in the on-line reservation (quiet table/spot, candle on desert, no singing/drama) and the celebration went on without a hitch! I was pleasantly surprised that our requests were made and exceeded our expectations! The food was perfection. We all enjoyed what we ordered. No complaints, only good memories had by all...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Terrific!alfresco44Dined on 11/13/2014I brought a small group of 8 friends and everyone just loved the restaurant. Service is great and food very delicious. I eat here many times during the year and it's consistently good. The staff is very pleasant and eager to please. Just a terrific find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience was OKokiealanVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our meal at East of Eighth was just OK. The dining space was partially outdoors with the heat going on and off and the space getting hot and cold. the food was reasonable but not anything to write home about. Not sure we'd return with all of the other options that NYC has to offer.
- Like an old friendFussySandy1Dined on 11/8/2014We've dined at East of Eight over the years and have always enjoyed the friendly atmosphere, good food and variety of people dining there. The menu is always interesting, the portions more than adequate and the food always delicious. I'm a good cook so tend to be fussy and have never complained about the quality. I look forward to many more visits to East of Eight whether for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Lets EatCharles217Dined on 11/5/2014I've been coming to this place for years. Be it for drinks, brunch or dinner . You can't go work . The service is great and the food is pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Very nice looking place, our waiter told us he was new and did not know the answer to my question - but made one up right after that. I ordered dressing on the side and my daughter ordered no cheese (due to allergies), both dishes needed to be sent back. Not sure how you can undercooked a veggie burger, but they did. At first I was impressed with the food, but the buger turned out to be quite mushy. The salad was good, the appetizer of hummus was also quite good. The service was not up to par. Would probably not return.
- Excellent Lunch!evn14Dined on 11/1/2014We went to East of Eighth for a Saturday lunch but it turned out the only dining option was the Brunch menu. The staff was great and accommodated our request to order three appetizers from the Brunch menu, then wait until the Dinner menu kicked in (an hour later). Our group of four had the duck quesadillas, croquettes, and pizza for appetizers, then a mix of pastas for lunch. Everything was excellent and the view over 23rd St. is perfect for people watching! We were lucky that the restaurant was relatively empty and quiet that day, which meant we were able to sit and enjoy our lunch for ~2 hours.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Findalfresco44Dined on 10/28/2014Consistently good food and great prices. I have never been disappointed and have eaten here a number of times. Love dining in the garden in warmer weather. Would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Food very mediocreMikeDined on 10/26/2014Cute garden in back of restaurant. The food was very mediocre and service efficient, but not warm. There must be better places in the area.
- MediocreDinerDined on 10/25/2014East of Eighth was convenient to an event we were attending and they could accommodate our group of six with one hour notice. Food was "okay", nothing to complain about but generally mediocre. We had a table on the 2nd floor in the back with only one other small table with diners so ambiance was non existent. Fair across the board.
- CurlytopDined on 10/25/2014My friend and I went there to celebrate our October birthdays. I found it online and we needed a place near the Gotham Comedy Club as well as a place that had gluten free food. Well, overall, we loved the place. We both ordered salmon with quinoa and spinach and it was a generous portion and deliciously prepared! The sauce was made with beets and was unusual and tasty. Our waiter was very careful when my friend said that she had Celiac and had to have everything gluten free. The only reason this was not given five stars was the nearby room had loud music and the salad wasn't really special. The room we were in was moderatelyl quiet and we were able to talk without difficulty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine but nothing specialjeffgtiVIPDined on 10/21/2014everyone's food was fine. it was extremely loud. the waiter could not have been nicer. nothing wrong, just so many better options, that i will probably not go back.
- Always an Excellent Experiemnceelgarnick1VIPDined on 10/19/2014I have been coming to this restaurant for many years and have always had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable food, good pricesJakeDined on 10/19/2014East of Eighth provides an affordable dining option with a tasty yet not overly fussy menu. The prix fix meals give you a great deal and you will leave nicely stuffed. Check out the gorgeous outdoor seating in the courtyard (heated in the winter). Bar scene is cute and waiters are very attentive.Special Features:
- jsalVIPDined on 10/18/2014Went here for brunch. I had the croquettes (very good), and the east of eighth salad (very good) with crab cakes (good). Service was very friendly and attentive. The outdoor space in the back is small but nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem!ianmac61Dined on 10/17/2014We booked this restaurant on recommendation and were not disappointed. The food was excellent, with a great choice. Atmosphere was good, not too noisy and the service was spot on. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014One of our favorite restaurants. I ordered from the special Sunday Italian Night menu and had the roasted carrot salad (unique) and the pappardelle with filet mignon (in a cream sauce and sinfully delicious); my husband ordered from the prix fixe menu and had the lobster bisque and the cobb salad. The bisque was the real thing -- not thickened with flour -- and the salad was LARGE. These specials are an incredibly good deal, but even the regular menu is easy on the wallet. We love the garden room. A couple at the next table found it too noisy and switched to the dining room, but I thought it had a "lively vibe." Service friendly and prompt. We keep saying we'll try a different Chelsea gem, but we never do -- we just keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to brunch!FlorianDined on 10/12/2014I've been to East of Eighth for a Sunday brunch, the food was great, especially the fried oysters that you should definitely try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchAnnieVIPDined on 10/5/2014What better way to spend a Sunday than brunch and a movie? Especially when brunch means sitting in a lovely garden on a beautiful day, and having a glass of champagne with your French toast? The food, service and especially the ambiance were great. There was a moment of confusion because we made a last minute change to the reservation which somehow never made to the Open Table system and the restaurant didn't have the new date, but fortunately, there was a table available (the last one at that specific time!) and the hostess handled it beautifully.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Our DinnerfoodiewannabeDined on 10/4/2014I had the asparagus with lobster, which was very tasty. And the zuppa di pesce was also very good. I also tasted my husband's knife and fork fried chicken which was also good. Good glass of pinot noir topped it all off. Good, friendly and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceTeachermanDined on 9/28/2014We were in NYC for the weekend, staying in the Chelsea neighborhood. I heard of this place from someone who lives in the neighborhood. we decided to try it and had a very enjoyable, reasonably priced meal. We will return the next time we visit the area.Special Features:
- loved it...........RodsterDined on 9/26/2014We ALWAYS love coming here! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsLisaAnneDined on 9/23/2014They have great onion rings! - and I've never been disappointed in any dish I've ordered. They have a good pre-theater special, too.Special Features:
- Good brunchMalugemDined on 9/21/2014Food was nothing spectacular..servers were attentive and great locations for a big groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BrunchFoodjunkieDined on 9/21/2014Met old friends for brunch, and we could actually converse! Cute patio in back! Everyone had a different "Eggs Bene" and all were excellent! I'd go back!Special Features:
- Eclectic menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Hardy portions, basic food like hamburgers did not come prepared as requested (medium rare but turned out very well done), other more specialty foods were tasty. Very attentive staff. Might try it again if I'm in the neighborhood.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014Love this place, one of my favorites! I had a mixed green salad to start and enjoyed the tiger shrimp as my entree. Food was fantastic and the outside garden is beautiful. The crowd that hangs out in the lounge/bar has a bit of an unwarranted inflated sense of self with the attitude...but it is Chelsea after all.Special Features:
- Coolmom629Dined on 9/7/2014We had a perfect brunch in the lovely outdoor garden. Very reasonably priced, excellent service and very good food. The bread and muffins were complimentary and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great CourtyardEeeckertDined on 9/6/2014Great quiet courtyard with fast service and food. The drinks were well made. Even though it was Saturday night we weren't rushed at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJfnnycVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had my birthday dinner at East of 8th. They rolled out the red carpet. And I forgot how good the food is here.Special Features:
- pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014the bread basket is delicious blend of cornbread/foccacia/italian- we ate on the patio by the little pond which is cozy. it was a bit hot out there- but they had fans. food was good- waiters were very attentive. i would eat here again
- "Old-Faithful" never disappointsBurtDined on 8/29/2014I live in Chelsea and I visit this restaurant at least five times per year over many many years, and I have ALWAYS enjoyed myself. In fact a friend of mine who visits from Torrington, CT a few times per year DEMANDS that we eat at East of Eighth, even when I attempt to remind him that there are so many other great restaurants in Chelsea to go to. For years this restaurant has always been consistent; garden salad always prepared with the same freshness and ingredients, Momma's Meatloaf always delicious, etc.Special Features:
- I highly recommendluvNYCDined on 8/28/2014Staff was warm and friendly, made us really feel welcome.. Great spot to enjoy good food in an relaxing atmosphere Prices very reasonable for NYC We will definitely go back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Chelsea GardenLoriVIPDined on 8/27/2014I always look forward to dining in the garden during the mild months and last night was a good night to enjoy our dinner. The rack of lamb was delicious, the scallops too were outstanding. I'm never disappointed in the food, this is our neighborhood spot and we are lucky to have it nearby. The staff is very accommodating.Special Features:
- A Great Evening!MM1016Dined on 8/27/2014Met two friends for a 'catch-up' and when a noisy group came in, I requested we move to the back. No problem--our waiter accommodated us beautifully and courteously. (Eventually, the group settled down and it was easy to converse.) The food was excellent! They have a pre-theatre menu which has many selections and the price can't be beat! This is a restaurant to return to time and again.Special Features:
- Neighborhood winnerLillianVIPDined on 8/24/2014With affordable prices, friendly staff that's been there forever, and really good food, East of Eighth is one of my favorite spots, especially when their garden is open. The prices compare well to diners but the food is far better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.