East of Eighth Restaurant
254 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
East of Eighth Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eastofeighthny.com/
- Phone: 2123520075
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International
- Executive Chef: Martin Markovitz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: We offer full service catering from business lunches of 10 or more to lavish events of over 1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room which seats up to 30 guests comfortably. We have a private garden ding area which seats up to 55 guests in the warmer weather & up to 40 guests in the winter (it is enclosed & heated in winter). We have an upstairs bar area which can accommodate cocktail parties of up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Micky Feldman 2123520075
- Entertainment: We offer entertainment on special occasions, such as New Year's Eve.
A word from East of Eighth Restaurant
Casual yet upscale neighborhood restaurant with dining on 2 floors, 2 bars & a lovely garden with koi pond & fountain. Eclectic American menu featuring tapas, soups, salads, pastas, steaks, chops, fresh fish & several vegetarian options. Conveniently located in the heart of Chelsea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East of Eighth Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (108)great for outdoor dining (81)great for brunch (64)great for lunch (49)good for groups (39)vibrant bar scene (28)special occasion (27)romantic (26)fit for foodies (24)late-night find (18)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (9)notable wine list (3)Show More
- I highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Staff was warm and friendly, made us really feel welcome.. Great spot to enjoy good food in an relaxing atmosphere Prices very reasonable for NYC We will definitely go back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Chelsea GardenLoriVIPDined on 8/27/2014I always look forward to dining in the garden during the mild months and last night was a good night to enjoy our dinner. The rack of lamb was delicious, the scallops too were outstanding. I'm never disappointed in the food, this is our neighborhood spot and we are lucky to have it nearby. The staff is very accommodating.Special Features:
- A Great Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Met two friends for a 'catch-up' and when a noisy group came in, I requested we move to the back. No problem--our waiter accommodated us beautifully and courteously. (Eventually, the group settled down and it was easy to converse.) The food was excellent! They have a pre-theatre menu which has many selections and the price can't be beat! This is a restaurant to return to time and again.Special Features:
- Neighborhood winnerLillianVIPDined on 8/24/2014With affordable prices, friendly staff that's been there forever, and really good food, East of Eighth is one of my favorite spots, especially when their garden is open. The prices compare well to diners but the food is far better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Sunday brunch - good menu, pleasant garden room, good service. Will try the lunch menu this week.Special Features:
- Sunday Dinner ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Had a nice quiet Sunday dinner at East of Eight. Great way to end a weekend. Salads are fresh and tasty. Entrees are made to perfection with just enough seasoning.Special Features:
- Great experience diningarstar1Dined on 8/16/2014This is the second time I have eaten at the restaurant. The food was fantastic and the service right on the money. Hassan and Hilberto were very attentive and personable. Highly recommended and the best - very reasonable.Special Features:
- An oasis in midtownavivac75VIPDined on 8/15/2014I love dining here.. have done this ever since they opened when I was still working in the area... I especially love the garden.. so peaceful, so relaxing, so pretty.. Service is always attentive and their $9.95 lunch is a bargain: delicious choices, plentiful portions, good valueSpecial Features:
- Always Perfect!SabinaDined on 8/8/2014I've been here several times and never had a less than wonderful experience. I highly recommend East of Eighth to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch if ClassOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Elegant food at reasonable prices in a warm and unpretentious atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden in ChelseaLoriVIPDined on 8/6/2014Lovely secret garden in the heart of Chelsea. The food is very good and moderately priced and I love dining here in warm weather. I'm so glad it's my neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/5/2014Just a good neighborhood place for business lunch. Very consistent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average FoodJohnVIPDined on 8/4/2014They tried to make the food look exciting but it was only average. Menu is also not exciting. Much better restaurants in the area for the same price. This restaurant has gone down hill continuously over the past 10 years. It used to be a great place to eat.Special Features:
- fit our geographic/time needsBaG1Dined on 8/3/2014restaurant was ok - the garden seating area was nice. pricey brunch prix fixe for what you get. $16 for a basket of bread/muffins, an entrée, coffee and what amounted to a small bloody mary was too much when you consider there was nothing special about any of the components. For $16 and a basic 2 egg and sausage plate, knock my socks off with a mega bloody mary, not something served in a water glass. I wouldn't go out of my way for this place, but if you are looking for something to eat in the specific area, it's ok.
- Ok but convenientSuzanneDined on 8/1/2014East of Eight is very convenient but otherwise mediocre. We had the prix fix for dinner which is a good bargain for the price. The food is not particularly good. Stay away from the mussels as they are minuscule.
- ALWAYS A WINNERBRYNADined on 8/1/2014Again, I took new people to East of Eighth for lunch and they loved it. They have an incredible luncheon special for $9.95 with wonderful (not boring, everyday choices). The service is always impeccable. I will keep coming back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearty comfort food.HappyLeaderVIPDined on 7/31/2014Comfort food. Delicious comfort food. So hard to find these days. No fancy chandeliers, no unrecognizable thing-a-ma-gics floating around on my plate, just good and hearty food at a fair price. The way it should be. As good old General MacArthur once said: I shall return!Special Features:
- Definitely check out East of EighthTeresaDined on 7/31/2014We went for the pre-show dinner before the Book of Mormon musical and it was awesome food for the 3 course $19.99 special. The mussels, guac and chips, mozza ball and chicken noodle soup and it was all delicious. The portions are huge! It is very close to the subway and it is definitely worth checking out.Special Features:
- A delightful timeSurfinaDined on 7/29/2014I've been to this restaurant multiple times and the food and service are always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I've had brunch at East of Eighth before and it has always been a good experience. However the back area upstairs was not air conditioned and it was so hot up there. Additionally the dish that I ordered had a very funky and gamey texture to the chicken. I would order something else other then the egg white frittata. That dish was not good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Brunchnicosiam01Dined on 7/27/2014A friend and I wanted to get brunch in the city. She was coming from Long Island and I from White Planes, and this was the perfect middle point. the food was wonderful, and the service was good. we were the first people in, so it was quiet for most of our meal, but before we left it started to get busier. Overall it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's One of Our Favoritesgeekguy1VIPDined on 7/26/2014It is likely that we'd return time and again to this Chelsea spot just for the great price on their early dinner specials. But that isn't even the big draw, it's the food, which has been consistently great. For this trip we went with some relatives, and everyone enjoyed it as much as we did. Add in excellent, friendly, service, and very good decor and it's easy to see why, once again, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Ambience was pleasant, food was poor to fair, service slow and not attentive, minimum tip was left. Would no dine there again.
- East of EigthmaddybDined on 7/20/2014This was our second time here and our first time sitting outside which was absolutely beautiful. We sat right next to a little pond with fish in it, and there were little lanterns, candles and tiny Christmas lights on. So nice. The guacamole and mussels were really good, but my Caesar salad w/shrimp was actually so gross that I didn't eat it. Lettuce was wilted, and there were tons of tiny shrimp which had been sauteed. I'm used to 4 or 5 large grilled shrimp...these almost seemed canned...ewww. Our waiter was competent, not overly friendly though. I'd go again for the atmosphere and order something different!Special Features:
- Great brunchbphiliDined on 7/20/2014Good food, reasonable prices, good staff, relatively quiet. Had a large group and had no problemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East of EighthLuv2eatDined on 7/20/2014Always great food here! Great service, great selection.Special Features:
- GinnDined on 7/19/2014When dining with people with food problems (allergies, etc.) it is wonderful to dine where the wait staff know the product and are willing to help with adjustments. Thank you East of Eighth for such well trained and personable staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gardengardenofedenDined on 7/17/2014The food was very good, but I only had a salad. The outdoor garden was superb- quiet and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simple and quiet lunchjaymuDined on 7/15/2014nothing amazing but nothing bad. friendly service in a somewhat out-of-date feeling room. Garden salad was plentiful (though served on a plate too small to toss it - would be better served in a larger bowl) and the added salmon was very generous. fair price, fair food, fair service - easy place to do a basic business lunch.
- Bargain early birdgooddealVIPDined on 7/12/2014Quite decent and generous meal at good price. Good bread bowl. Dessert less excitingSpecial Features:
- VERY GOODFOODIEVIPDined on 7/12/2014You cannot go wrong with this restaurant. A FAVORITE !
- Brunch on a Saturdaynew2BKDined on 7/12/2014After reading a few yelp reviews on brunch in Chelsea, we decided to go to East of Eighth. The food was decent but the eggs were too greasy for my taste. The menu was decent but overall I wasn't impressed. It was noon and the restaurant was almost empty the entire time. It also seemed to be mostly elderly people. Overall it wasn't a terrible experience, just not what we were expecting/
- Dinner and a showKR88Dined on 7/9/2014Enjoyed dinner here before the Irish rep play. Pre-fixe menu a good value of 20$. I enjoyed the Jamon Croquettes while my friend had the onion rings - not that crispy for appetizers. I had the Lamb burger - could have used more Harrisa in the yogurt sauce and ,y firend enjoyed the pork chops. Desser was unusual combo of apple and pineapple crisp tasty and friend enjoyed the crème caramel...Great barginSpecial Features:
- Good food, poorly executedNSAdocNYCVIPDined on 7/7/2014The special was a filet mignon. I had asked for mine to be rare, and it was a medium cook; my dining companion asked for medium rare filet mignon and it came out medium well. The service was horrible. Once our waitress found out we were not drinking alcohol, she never made an appearance at the table until it was time to pick up the payment.Special Features:
- Fourth of JulyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014We enjoy this restaurant and chose their July 4 special. It was better than we expected. Chicken, ribs, corn on the cob, onion rings, sweet potatoes. It's a shame July 4 doesn't happen more often.Special Features:
- Great FoodEarthBodhisattvaDined on 7/4/2014Great food, service is a bit slow. I wish there were more like it in my hood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValuechefmecheVIPDined on 7/3/2014I was delighted to be introduced to this restaurant by a dining voucher. My friend and I agreed that we would be happy to return. The food was well-prepared--we both had sesame-crusted tuna--and the service was well above average. There were plenty of choices on the menu.
- Simple and goodJJJJerseyCityDined on 6/29/2014The title says it all. Nothing too fancy. But the good is good, as is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BackyardPaulDined on 6/29/2014We enjoy going to East of Eighth to sit in their "backyard" and enjoy our brunch. Food is always well prepared and service is consistently good. What more can a person ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mogirlmogirlDined on 6/27/2014Bread basket good. Entrees were good. Nice to sit in garden area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.