821 SW 11th Ave
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
East India Co. Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eicpdx.com/
- Phone: 5032278815x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 Am - 2:00 Pm; Happy Hours: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 Pm - 7:00 Pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 Pm - 9:30 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Subtle complex marinades using time honored Indian grilling methods created by seasoned master chefs reflect the food trends in today's India. The menu remains true to classic Indian recipes but is served with verve and style. All of this along with our hospitality and innovative signature cocktails makes for a unique dining experience.
The restaurant is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Portland on 11th avenue between Yamhill and Taylor. We are open for lunch, happy hour, and dinner Monday through Saturday. We invite you to join us for the East India experience.
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
- Gread food, service and amianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We so enjoyed at East India Co. Food was delicious, arrived in a timely manner, and was authentic. The staff was attentive, helped us out if we didn't know about something, and didn't over hover. The decor was perfect, adding to the exerience. Our booth was clean and private. The little touches to the table settings and serving plates to make them look good, authentic, and usable were a great addition to the experience. The It is now my favorite Indian food in Portland. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian CusineMikeinHillsboroDined on 9/19/2014We have eaten here many times, and the food and service was good, as usual. There was a large birthday party going on, and the noise level was quite high, but it was still a nice dinner.Special Features:
- PalianDined on 9/17/2014This is one of my regular places to eat before going to a talk or concert in downtown. It has a quiet and peaceful atmosphere and tables are always available. The food is excellent with a range of choices for spice level. I recently had a group meet there before an event and everyone raved about how much fun it was and how much they enjoyed the food and cocktails. Being one block from a MAX stop makes it convenient, too.Special Features:
- The best Indian food in PortlandMossyukDined on 8/29/2014I've been coming to this restaurant for years and it has never once failed to deliver. Because I am originally from England I think I've "been around the block" a few times with this type of cuisine and I have to say myself and my friends and family have never been disappointed. The staff is very friendly and welcoming and the food top notch, well done EICo, keep up the good work and delicious food!Special Features:
- EIC11goose19VIPDined on 8/25/2014Portland area lacks innovative Indian restaurants. Amongst all Indian restaurants EIC does a better job with food preparation and presentation. It is a well appointed restaurant good for a relaxed dining experience. The menu is extensive with a wide variety of vegetarian options. Amongst the appetizers we had the Papdi chat was presented in an unusual manner, no where near what this dish is supposed to be. Samosas and grilled mushrooms were very good. Saag Aloo, chicken makhani , dal, Goan shrimp were very good, lamb roghan josh was average. A variety of naans were very good, however the raita was watery. Wine list is modest. Over all a satisfactory dining experience.Special Features:
- Probably best in townErikDined on 8/11/2014I eat here regularly and find it to be the best Indian restaurant in Portland. This particular time the staff was short handed and the wait times were longer than expected. I had the Lamb Saag and it was delicious.Special Features:
- solicitous and comfortablefpotterDined on 7/4/2014Rarely crowded, this restaurant meets all the qualifications for a regular place for dinner. Tfe food is good and the service is attentive but not in your face.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014I don't know why this isn't mentioned among the best ethnic restaurants in Portland, but to me it is. There are not many Indian ones but the variety of the dishes, the quality of preparation, the service and the ambience of the place are all excellent. I imagine it would be a good place for lunch, but I've only been there for dinner.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurprisefpotterDined on 6/20/2014Restaurants serving Indian food can vary - East India hit all its marks. The service was helpful, if occasionally inattentive, and the wait for dinner was not excessive. The dinner (Chicken Vindaloo and Chicken Tandoori) was nicely presented and not overspiced. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- anonymousDined on 6/12/2014Good for a relaxing meal where you actually want to be able to talk with your party and excellent Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in townErikDined on 6/3/2014This is our favorite India restaurant. The food is consistently good and the ambience is the best. If you want a great Indian restaurant that is not in a strip mall or house, this is the place to go!Special Features:
- The following 258 reviews are from the East India Co. Grill & Bar reviews archive.
- No disappointmentspickyeaterDined on 6/2/2014We reserved a table on the same day for a group of 6 people. The staff was welcoming and friendly. We started off with a round of margaritas, then we ordered a good variety of standard favorites to share, including Tandoori chicken on the bone, a lamb dish, a scallop dish, saag paneer, aloo gobi, and chicken tikka masala. Pappadums and rice were complimentary. We also ordered fresh naan and roti, and some wine. A good time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice setting, below average food.EnjoyGoodFoodDined on 5/31/2014We struggle to find a place with a more formal ambience when wanting to take others out for Indian food. We thought East India Co was our answer. Our entrees seemed watered down. The service didn't match the surroundings. Maybe this was an off night for them.Special Features:
- 1st TimerMemoDined on 5/22/2014This was our first time in an Indian Restaurant in Portland, and we're already making plans to return for second. It was excellent.Special Features:
- elsaDined on 5/22/2014delicious food, terrific service. I've spent a lot of time in India and have a hard time finding good Indian food in the US -- until now.Special Features:
- Wonderful Indian Food!BarbaraDined on 5/17/2014We have eaten at East India Co. Grill three times. Each time was a delightful adventure. They have spiciness to please any palette. One of the few places you can get truly spicy Indian food. The medium spiced food is rich in complex flavors. The meats were tender. The chocolate cake with spice and pistachio nuts is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or misstrickydicky1VIPDined on 5/17/2014We are big Indian food lovers and have been to East India Co. over a dozen times. What's prompting me to write this review is the inconsistency. The menu has expanded over the years and The time before last the service was great and so was the food, we couldn't wait to go back. However, this past weekend we visited and were disappointed with the quality of the poultry, overcooked and stringy. In our view it is a hit or miss experience, and we say that as folks who really want successful Indian restaurants in Portland. If East India Co. can become more consistent then we'd be there more regularly. As it is we might wait a while before going back.
- Mother's Day BuffetMcc1Dined on 5/11/2014Not usually a fan of buffets but this was amazing! Lots of choices and amazing flavor. A must. My picky 6 year old could not get enoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How not to get customersastraclubDined on 4/29/2014Went it and experienced the worst ever experience of food service this year. Oh God, the lady (think she is the owner) is so rude and knows nothing about serving. She just stand in one corner and asked for drink like she is upset with the customers. One of us decided to change the order right after we order (less than a minute delay while she was still there), she gave a horrible look. She is a curse to restaurant and must be specialized in "how to avoid customers" to be very frank, writing anymore to this lady and about this restaurant is waste of time.
- small portions, weird servicedetailsDined on 4/26/2014So... went for dinner with friends for first time. Waiter moved food all about many times and house manager came to assist but didn't remove plates we'd moved to the site to take away. It was just odd - not bad but awkward. Also for the cost very small portions. Many other places around town have equally tasty food but you're paying for the fancy tables although they're not even so fancy - it just is a odd mix of ambiance, food quality/quantity. I might go again but with that in mind I'm going for quiet and fancy feeling not good or much food.Special Features:
- Great Indian in PortlandkaterinaDined on 4/24/2014Amazing food, flavorful! Great service! We were promptly seated and provided drinks, dinner was very good, as has been our experience.Special Features:
- Desi Khana11goose19VIPDined on 4/22/2014Of all the Indian Restaurants in Portland, EIC stands out alone. The dining area is tastefully decorated. It is one place that does not serve all you can eat buffet Indian buffet and I like that. Lunch menu is small and portions are modest, another plus. There is a full bar service. Food is well prepared, though it could stand to have more spice to it. Every dish ordered by our group was tasty esp. Chicken Tikka Masala, Goan fish curry, Chicken Biryani and chicken, salmon and lamb koftas. Pakora appetizer was disappointing.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodChrisADined on 4/19/2014This was an excellent example of authentic Indian food. The curry was tasty and as spicy as I wanted. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- always reliable & surprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014Nice broad menu of Indian dishes. A treat to dine there. Never been disappointed yet. Generally quiet and conversation-possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian FoodlindDined on 4/12/2014The food was terrific. We had a number of dishes and they were all great. They were busy but we did not feel neglected. The room is big, but does not have that echoing loud quality. The wait staff recommended a reasonably priced Indian wine, which seemed a bit sweet, but as she said, it did go well with the food.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodtable42VIPDined on 4/5/2014Service.... well. They were short staffed and busy the night we dined there so maybe it was a fluke? More important however was the food! Yum. Well executed, tasty, fresh. What more can you ask for? Yeah that's right, good service. We'll try again and let you know about that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2014Enjoyed our meal. Service was very slow. Took nearly 15 minutes for a server to come by with water, then another 15 before drinks, a beer and a glass or wine, showed up and our order was taken. 30 minutes later our meals arrived. It appeared only one server was helping in the restaurant. We had the Korma and the Tikka Masaala. Both good. Woulndn't make an effort to go back, but wouldn't say no if someone really wanted to go.
- Really poor serviceDogdaysDined on 4/5/2014While the food was good, the service was very poor. We waited 25 minutes after being seated for anyone to even approach the table. The staff seemed very disorganized, with the host also working as server, and whatever else she could think of. Food came out late, some items forgotten. The menu was confusing, as we thought we each ordered an entree, only to have it come out family style with one little cup of rice. We did see on other tables full plates, each with a cup of rice, the server wasn't very forthcoming on how to order. I'm sure if you went there frequently, you could learn how it goes, but this was our first time. Regardless, be prepared to wait. Oh, and if they try to sell you the Indian white wine, don't do it, you were warned.
- Very good IndianvegginDined on 3/29/2014Top notch Indian food, hard to beat in Metro area. Welcoming staff and nice atmosphere. Appetizer: Tandoori Khumbi (grilled mushrooms) -very recommended, nice meaty texture and smoky flavor. Vindaloo - HOT! Ask for yogurt or something to cut the heat. Garlic Kulcha - light and flavorful. Menu is a little confusing for those eating vegan style. One dish was marked vegan but the ingredient list included cream. Upon asking, our server said it was not vegan but she was very savvy to point out an option that was. The website lists a separate vegan section, but the menu doesn't have the list the same way; look for items marked with "(V)", but be sure to ask if that is your concern.Special Features:
- not bad, but pricey for the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014EIC has an interesting ambiance for an Indian restaurant. They're going for a romantic, up scale image and come close to hitting mark on the romantic part. We sat at a booth, roomy and comfortable. Service was prompt, waitress was a little overbearing. Bussing service was impeccable, hats off to that. The cocktail my date got, chile infused gin with cucumbers, was awful. No hint of chile and the cucumber was muddled into the gin, giving the impression of an over-sweetened grass jelly soda. Their wine selection was limited, but interesting. Tasting notes were almost exactly backwards. Appetizers were lackluster, entrees were note worthy. Not an authentic experience and nothing to write home about, but worth a night out for entrees and wine.Special Features:
- Fantastic Indian foodNJARunnerDined on 3/24/2014The food was fantastic! The environment perfect to relax and enjoy an evening with friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a dinner!bigoldbearDined on 3/22/2014I love Indian food, for my birthday, my friends took me out to East India Co. because it sounded authentic and I was curious. WOW! I was not disappointed. I had to change my reservation time and they had no trouble accommodating us. They seated us promptly when we arrived. The food was magnificent. I told the waiter "as spicy as you can make it" thinking I might get a little jolt (like most rest. in OR, that don't know the meaning of spice). This was HOT! Broke a sweat out on my forehead for sure. One of the waiters came by and asked how we were doing, saw that I was a little 'over-spiced' and brought some yogurt to the table to cool things down a little. Great Food! Great Staff! Great time! I highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!InsearchofyumDined on 3/6/2014Everything we've had at East India Company is now a favorite! Samosas, delicately spiced saag paneer, vindaloo curry that has enough flavor to stand up to the heat. And the naan...omigosh, a meal in itself. The service is so-so, but the food and ambiance outweigh it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too hot!rshnqtyDined on 3/1/2014Nothing special and we could barely eat the food - it was too spicy, bread chips too salty, no ice in water (badly needed) and no warning or choice of spicing was offered. Location was good.
- Food tasty, service horribleFoodieDined on 3/1/2014Hubby and I went there for a nice meal. I surmise that because we didn't buy alcohol we weren't worth the servers time. For what we spent, I expect a server to do more than put my order in the computer. She didn't once check on us to see if we needed anything and I had to go to the hostess stand to ask for my check. Service means a lot to me. Won't be going back.
- Never disappointedBenMDined on 2/21/2014Have eaten here over the years since its opening. Never disappointed. Grilled lamb with pickles and mango chutney added was, as usual, delicious. Sarah, our wait person, is an old friend after these many years and she is perfect. Don't wait; make a date!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Dining experienceIanNDined on 2/14/2014Because of our love for Indian food and my wife's vegan diet, I chose East India Co. Bar and Grill for our Valentine's Day dinner. The food was great and the price was also very good for the meal and the occasion. The service was definitely good, but not outstanding. The only downside was that despite a very nice dining area, the tables were fairly close together and they only had three booths. Despite all three booths being open at the time of our reservation, we were not given the opportunity to sit in one, leaving us to sit in a bit of a noisier area. All that said, the noise was not overbearing, and the food, atmosphere, price, and service were definitely good enough to make this a regular dining spot for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East India Co. is my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014East India Co. is my favorite Indian restaurant in Portland. Great food, elegant décor, good service. The owner takes a personal interest in the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a biteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Very good food. Service was exceptional, attentive and informative without being intrusive. Enjoyed the food, the ambiance the price for the lunch specials was most affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and atmosphere were greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014Food and atmosphere were great but the service was really inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.