47 Middle Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://eastenderportland.com/
- Phone: 2078797669x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Gerow
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: East Ender is the perfect place for your next event / celebration. From birthdays, showers, or business meetings, we can tailor a menu and an atmosphere that will make your occasion memorable. We offer private and semi-private options for you and your guests. Choose from our playful menu or customize your own. We offer passed appetizers, platters, and sit down plated menus.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Schroeter 2078797669x
A word from East Ender
The East Ender offers new American food with bold New England flavors specializing in slow smoked BBQ. East Ender appreciates the philosophy of nose to tale cooking. We source products from local farmers and purveyors. Quality local ingredients allow East Ender to create a menu from scratch and present it in an approachable and affordable way. Seriously good food, in a seriously casual environment. A neighborhood meeting place to enjoy house cocktails, craft-beers, and wine that caters to the cuisine. Our menu offers seasonal snacks, salads, sandwiches, entrees and desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
East Ender - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
East Ender reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (26)good for groups (16)great for brunch (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (4)romantic (2)Show More
- Perfect Girls' Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014Had dinner here with 4 of my girlfriends recently and every one of us greatly enjoyed it. The food was amazing and there was a lot to choose from, but not too much that the menu was incoherent. One of my friends is a vegetarian and had no problem finding yummy items to order and the kitchen had no problem making slight accommodations for her on shared items like when we asked for the pulled pork on our nachos to be on the side. Our waitress was delightful and extremely helpful. Would absolutely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for date nightclubguyVIPDined on 10/22/2014wonderful service, very good food, and out of this world deviled eggs!Special Features:
- Great surpriseOutForDinnerVIPDined on 10/19/2014We were hoping for a good meal because you never know on your first visit but what we got was a great meal. Everything was very flavorful, like someone had thought about it. The ribs from the menu and the scallop special were both outstanding. Casual dining with caring staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and charming!SavvydinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Our brunch was lovely! I had a lobster toll, consisting of large chunks of the freshest lobster that I have ever had in a restaurant. It was tossed with a very light lemon/chive dressing of sorts on a grilled, in house baked brioche roll. Instead of fries, I took our waitress up on the offer for a mesclun greens salad. It was delish and I really appreciated the garden fresh cucumber on it! My husband had the in house smoked pulled pork on top of Johnny cakes with scallions, with "cheesy scrambled eggs" on the side. He was ion heaven! That was certainly a "guy's" brunch item! What made the experience even better was our lovely and accommodating waitress, Iris! What a gem! We ate outside to cherish one of the last warm Fall days to do so!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our dinner here with glitches, I had a tasty burger, one person had the salmon and raved about it, two ordered the fried chicken but both orders were not fully cooked. Server immediately took food back, was apologetic and offered to bring an additional app at their cost, we passed. Other two were almost done when dinner arrived, the chicken was good, very crispy and a nice flavoring, maybe a applewood smoke? The corn bread and cole slaw that came as side were both very good, they passed on the greens. The chef was nice enough to send out dessert for the problem, a chocolate bread pudding but it was very dry and not worth the calories. Would surely go back and give another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect tableportvisitorDined on 10/11/2014Although I reserved online, I was able to request (by phone) the table for two by the window downstairs for a quiet visit with my daughter. The table was perfect for a mother-daughter meal or any other twosome wanting a quiet place to chat, away from the noisy din of the usual restaurant atmosphere.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014We had an awesome Brunch, food, service and drinks were excellent. We have been there for dinner and enjoyed our meal, so we brought friends for brunch. I would reccomend brunch thereSpecial Features:
- fabulous brunchCHRISMPARKERVIPDined on 9/7/2014I ate here with 3 friends for Sunday brunch. The meal was superb. I highly recommend this place. The chicken and waffles were the best I've had in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great again!LED1224Dined on 9/5/2014We were a party of 12. Server was great, food consistent, interesting and good! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexisDined on 9/5/2014I went to the East Ender Friday evening on probably one of the last summer nights we would be able to sit outside. The cocktails were great! I had the Earl Grey infused grapefruit vodka with honey lavender simple syrup and grapefruit juice/ginger ale. It was amazing, lots of fun flavors. I got the Caesar salad, it was good, very big. It came with two huge pieces of toast which I broke up one for croutons. I think the salad was a bit too big to pre curse an entrée and the toast was excessive. For my entrée I got the best risotto which was fabulous, it had goat cheese sprinkled on top. Yum! Overall great experience!Special Features:
- Good find!JustJaneDined on 8/26/2014I was driving through Portland and, thanks to Open Table, found this gem. Lobster nachos for appetizer could have sufficed for dinner, even when shared by 2, but I'm still very glad I ordered the Caesar Salad topped with calamari for my main course - excellent! Go Upstairs for more ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TracyDined on 8/23/2014Every time we go to the East Ender, my boyfriend gets the burger. He's been saying for years it's the best burger in portland. Drinks are always delicious and unique. Service is always top-notch.Special Features:
- HobsonDined on 8/18/2014I am sure that the food is good when available but when we arrived at 8 pm they were out of anything on a bun(all if which came highly recommended), anything chicken and the ribs. Not much else to choose from and the salmon was only ok. The service was nice but it could not make up for the lack of choice!
- Fabulous!gmfoodDined on 8/17/2014Days later still thinking about the meal! You must have the lobster poutine! And the lobster nachos are great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanefrommaineVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great service, friendly, never wanting for the next course or the check. The ribs I had were, unfortunately, very very dry. I think cooked earlier and reheated. Really disappointing. Great dessert, wonderful angel food cake. Would like to try again, but, please, take the ribs off the menu.Special Features:
- Awesomeness, Lobster, Handcut friesKMo1VIPDined on 8/14/2014This was a great find for us. We sat inside but there is table seating on the sidewalk. You are away from the water but East Ender is so worth the trip. First, I had a Mule (vodka, blood orange, lime & ginger beer) - it tasted like a sweet tart! The menu is fun to read and everything sounds delicious! Any place that has deviled eggs on the menu for an app is a find (IMO). I had the lobster on a bun with fries - it was amazing....flavorful, lots of lobster and just a treat. My finance had the lobster salad - salad with 3oz of lobster on top. Prices are reasonable and service top rate! Highly recommend - can't wait to go back for dinner and brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back for more!JohnTVIPDined on 8/9/2014Just visiting Portland for the night and found this on a whim - what a great landing we had at a cool spot with excellent food and excellent service! Fried Trout app was tasty and I'm still drooling over the lobster "burger". We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a unique settingpa2mainefoodieDined on 8/7/2014We were looking for a place to have dinner with the family (children are teenagers) in downtown Portland and chose East Ender based on other reviews and the menu on Open Table. We were not disappointed. The menu is creative and offers plenty of options no matter what your taste is. I also liked the selection of cocktails; also very creative and unique. Service was friendly and attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great placeStewarttooDined on 8/6/2014Wish we could have tried everything. Lobster nachos were great as was the pizza. Must try - fried Bologna sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rct1VIPDined on 8/4/2014A nice little place amidst some truly great restaurants.Special Features:
- Awesome TINY place for brunch!BigDaddyVIPDined on 8/3/2014Visited the Eastender on our recent trip to Portland and had a GREAT brunch on their very limited seating patio. Honestly the whole place has limited seating. probably 20 people tops if I had to guess. But a very cool, very tiny place with super friendly staff and excellent food and drinks. And just an earshot from the harbor. You even get just the slightest view of the water from there. Looking forward to going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunityreluctantreviewerVIPDined on 7/31/2014East Ender is located on one of Portland's restaurant rows in the former space of beloved "joint", Norm's, and next to popular and "hot", Duck Fat. Regretfully it doesn't take advantage of the locale, or local cooking talent. Our corner (table) smelled of dank old sponge or poorly cleaned latrine, or both. The order came out wrong - the food wasn't fresh or inspired. Won't go back and can't recommend it.
- Nice Spot for Small GroupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014Must be able to climb the stairs but worth it. Our group enjoyed the Risotto, Scottish Salmon and Lobster Roll! The calamari appetizer was great, along with the sides of honey drenched corn bread, mac and cheese, & cole slaw.Special Features:
- Second time for brunch - great!SH207Dined on 7/13/2014Brunch is a hot commodity in Portland and East Ender has a lot going for it - the food is great, good location, great staff, and they take reservations! Their brunch menu has some good classics (a 2 egg with meat and toast breakfast, a benedict, etc), and some great innovations (the johnny cakes with pulled pork and eggs, the chicken and waffles, the hash) are very good. Next time, I want to check out their doughnut and pop tart specials!Special Features:
- Terrific place!bogeyfanDined on 7/5/2014I've been to the East Ender a couple of times now and it is becoming one of my favorite spots. The wait staff is friendly and knowledgeable and the food is fantastic. The lower and upper dining rooms each have their own distinct ambiance with the upstairs being slightly more formal (but not stuffy).Special Features:
- The following 147 reviews are from the East Ender reviews archive.
- eattoliveDined on 6/14/2014East Ender is a Portland fav. Great beer and fantastic food. Also great service in a comfortable atmosphere. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty DinnerEatingOutVIPDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I went to the East Ender last Saturday, and enjoyed a tasty, imaginative meal and excellent service. Even though it's been around for a couple of years, we hadn't been there before. There are bars and table upstairs and downstairs. We sat upstairs in a booth by the window. Our waitress knew the accessibly-priced wine list very well and was able to make good recommendations. Though a big group was dining at the same time, the service was attentive and our dinners were not delayed. I had the arugula and beet salad with a side of cheesy cauliflower; my husband had the skirt steak, which came with shoestring fries and collards. It was all great - an imaginative and well-prepared take on 'home cooking'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JayMEDined on 6/13/2014Creative yet excellent, a combination not readily found. Great wait staff of EVERYONE! Great find and will get there again soon.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningwashashoreDined on 6/6/2014My son and I were in Portland Friday night and I had made a reservation at East Ender. We were given an excellent booth on the second floor by the window. It was a great place to sit. The wine list and the mixed drink list was nice. I enjoyed my Pinot Noir. My son had the James Bond cocktail which he liked very much. We decided to order first course and hold off on ordering everything else. This was smart because the lobster nacho platter was huge and filling. We shared that and an arugula salad. The lobster nachos were so good. There was lots of lobster and avocado. Homemade chips too. yum. I had another glass of wine. But that was it. I think they should add gelato to the desert menu.
- rubyredshoesDined on 6/6/2014loved everything about it, stellar food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too shabby at allMargaretDined on 6/6/2014Dinner was excellent. Had the potato encrusted fish and the gumbo and both were really good. Oh, the broccoli fritters were outstanding. Portions were good and the price was right for dinner for two.....around $60Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East ender rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014Great drink list, varied menu that has options for everyone - can eat tapas like or get a dinner - fried bologna sandwich was very gd but so was arugula beet salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimHDined on 5/20/2014I was at the East Ender for a weekday lunch recently. On the plus side, the atmosphere was pleasantly informal and the food (I had the mac & cheese) was good. On the minus, the interior space is very small, and it is impossible to have a private conversation over a meal. The prices are higher than I would have expected based on the simple pub-style menu, the no-frills presentation, and the kitchen-table ambience of the dining area. Also, on the day I was there the lone server covering lunch seemed harried. With the variety of lunch options available at a wide range of price points on the Portland peninsula, I suspect the East Ender will have to find a way to sharpen its focus and improve its game in order to compete.
- Hard working wait staffRandRVIPDined on 5/19/2014Both dinner and lunch another day. The same server both times, Sandy I think. What’s with Portland and so few servers to tables? But East ender, the two levels, they never stopped. I bet whatever they are paid it isn’t enough. Food tasty, dinner, I came here from Ireland 20 years ago, I can’t adjust to raw meat, but I compromise with medium well, the hanger steak was seared but raw inside. Had to have it cooked more. Desert, caramel tart was tasteless. But lots of places fall down on desert. Lunch I had the burger because my wife had that for dinner and it was great, I heard the server mention the previous steak to the chef and my burger was certainly cooked. My wife had the sliders. I’d call it a good gastro pub, we will be back.Special Features:
- QuaintcalmarkDined on 5/17/2014Dined upstairs very steep staircase could not have taken grandmother. Downstairs dining area is small. Good for group of 4 maximum 6. Noise became louder with full room. No parking so we used ocean garage which does not use cash must have card of some kind. Parking on streets was full at 7pm. Waitress was quick did not have to wait long at all for foods and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East EnderOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014The food was fantastic and the service was great. The restaurant décor was a little casual given the price range, but overall it was a great place to dine.Special Features:
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/25/2014Great food. I had the brisket which was good perfectly. Upscale food, good prices, make a reservation on the weekends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and TastyChoosyDinerVIPDined on 3/16/2014Delicious food. Healthy options available but hard to pass on the lobster poutine. Great local draft beer selections.Special Features:
- Dependable, and goodHootDined on 3/15/2014We always enjoy a dinner here. Upstairs dining room has a nice vibe. Servers are friendly and competent. Menu isn't fancy, but the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable Dining ExperienceFoodieFriendDined on 3/8/2014Lots of great options here! The East Ender shows creativity in their menu options... everything from the specialty drinks and appetizers to the salads and entrees is prepared with a slight twist. The results are delicious! You will not be disappointed. Great service. The waitress was very knowledgeable and attentive. I will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.