East End Kitchen
539 E 81st Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
East End Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://eastendkitchennyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 879-0450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from East End Kitchen
Seasonal New American plates featuring local ingredients; rustic 85-seat bistro, outfitted with antique mirrors, Edison bulbs and leather banquettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
East End Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
East End Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (38)great for brunch (29)kid-friendly (24)good for groups (17)great for lunch (16)special occasion (5)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Go to restaurantAbuelitaVIPDined on 11/21/2014This is our neighborhood restaurant, but we were let down last Friday by the delay in our meal. Our waitress was great, but what happened in the kitchen. We had to wait a good 30 minutes before we got our main course. Not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!JessVIPDined on 11/16/2014Food and service are always reliable. Menu and specials offer excellent range of choices, always well-prepared. The nightly specials, especially the Sunday burger-and-beer, are great values!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.LocalVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food coming out of the kitchen was slow and inconsistent for two courses. Once it arrived it was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LolaVIPDined on 11/7/2014A cute neighborhood spot. At dinner, it gets quite noisy. And is a bit expensive. Bettter noise level and price tag for breakfast/lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A forgotten cornerLP2014Dined on 11/4/2014After very loud screaming children left shortly after our arrival, it was quiet and serene for lunch on Election Day. Food was very good and choices were varied although most were of the breakfast/brunch category. Service was attentive although waitress could have done better job of explaining that different potatoes came with different dishes.Special Features:
- Great as always!AbuelitaVIPDined on 10/28/2014We usually go early, as it is less crowded, therefore better service, but we went at 8:00 and service and food were great as always. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 10/21/2014Eat here often. Service can be uneven but the food is generally good and the half price for a bottle of wine with an entree on Mondays and Tuesday is good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family reunionAbuelitaVIPDined on 10/20/2014What a great place for all ages. The grandparents and their children had a great meal, the risotto was outstanding and the teens and younger set had a ball. Wonderful staff.Special Features:
- great except for wine listwineguyVIPDined on 10/18/2014I like just about everything about this place. It's a great local spot, the crowd ranges from 20 somethings to 80 somethings, and the food hits the spot with wide variety of choices. The only place they need a little help is on the wine list - the selections by the glass are a little weak, and there are only around 10 reds by the bottle. That would be fine, but a few were off-years, and considering how many great wines from 2010 and 2012 (great vintages) are available right now from Italy, Spain, France and the U.S. in the $20 retail range, I'm disappointed in the selection. I realize not everyone cares about wine, but for those who do, a better selection would bring me in more often.Special Features:
- Great find , memorable dinnerDuckfoodieDined on 10/11/2014We were in NYC for the weekend and had dinner with friends. Restaurant was highly recommended by frequent customer- we were not disappointed. Overall great experience , except a bit noisy. We'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!loracDined on 10/10/2014We were looking for a restaurant close to where we were staying on our visit to NYC, so we took a chance on East End Kitchen. The meal was excellent as was the wine. Lamb chops were perfectly cooked, tender and tasty. My husband loved the blackened shrimp. Our server was attentive. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- PurpleHazeDined on 10/10/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. Friendly staff. Broad menu. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014We have been for lunch, weekend brunch, and now dinner. Every dining experience has been consistently wonderful. The restaurant is beautiful and comfortable, the food is fabulous, and the service is attentive, knowledgable, and friendly. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 10/8/2014I marked EEK down this time because the kitchen was very slow with a part of our order. However, when it finally came, the food was excellent. I don't think that it was the server's fault. On the contrary, we thought that the server was quite good.Special Features:
- Wonderful Neighborhood Find!LovesCityDiningDined on 9/24/2014We were delighted with our recent dinner at East End Kitchen. It has been a favorite for brunch, but until now, we had not eaten dinner at the restaurant. The scallops were excellent- attractive presentation and delicious, crunchy vegetables. The beef fillet and sides were just as good. Because we had an early dinner reservation, our very nice glass of wine at the bar was priced at the Happy Hour special of $5.00. Wow! We noted that on other nights - Tuesdays and Saturdays? -you an enjoy a special of half-priced bottles of wine with dinner. In general, the pricing on food and wine is very reasonable, especially for the quality and certainly worth a little trip East.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PurpleHazeDined on 9/20/2014Great overall experience - food, service, atmosphere, value. Among the best restaurants at this price point on the UES. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much time!AbuelitaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great for a quick dinner, a really good one at that. We shRed the fig salad, my husband was carbo loafing. So he had the risotto and I had a burger. Just what we were looking for. It was all great. It has become our neighbood Cantine, it is nice that they know what we want. Keep it up.Special Features:
- Nightly fareAbuelitaVIPDined on 9/15/2014We would go every night if possible, the new fall menu is wonderful. It feels like a farm to table restuarant.Special Features:
- Solid neighborhood choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2014We have watched this restaurant evolve since opening and were glad to see it packed on a Friday night. Food is very good, occasionally inspired. Service a bit rushed, tables a bit too close together (try to avoid tables near bathroom and kitchen), but generally comfortable environment. I think the prices are too high for what it is, but the packed dining room obviously did not agree. 1 salad, 2 basic entrees (roast chicken, pasta primavera) and 2 glasses of wine = $100 with tip. Still, we're glad to have this option in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/1/2014Had a lovely brunch here - good neighbourhood findSpecial Features:
- Sunday night specialjpearlDined on 8/31/2014Friendly staff; Sunday night special is a very good deal for NYC-$17 gets you an entree (meaty ribs, fish &chips, shrimp, burger et al; not the full menu) with a craft beer on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 8/28/2014East End Kitchen isa great neighborhood restaurant. Excelent food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Close but Lacks GracelocaltreatDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is within block of my home and I am a foodie. The kitchen and wait service interacts poorly with customers.
- pedroDined on 8/24/2014great as usual! we enjoy the service food and atmoshereSpecial Features:
- AndyVIPDined on 8/23/2014A true neighborhood gem. East End Kitchen never disappoints.Special Features:
- AndyVIPDined on 8/21/2014A true neighborhood gem. Great food at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wed Night MusselskentVIPDined on 8/20/2014We have been here many, many times but never on a Wed for mussels. It gets packed! The service has to struggle to keep up, slower than usual.Special Features:
- Our CantineAbuelitaVIPDined on 8/19/2014We love having dinner at East End Kitchen. We went twice this week and each time had great meals. The risotto of the day is always excellent as was the salmon this week. I would go every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeIronMikeDined on 8/15/2014Good ambiance, food and service. Girlfriend is vegan so she had some sides. I'm doing low carb and had a burger with no bun, but lots of other choices on the menu for me.Special Features:
- Get your act togetherDiner1111VIPDined on 8/12/2014This is the only restaurant near East End, but that is no excuse for mediocrity. The good is just ok. Nothing is really delicious. The sundae --which is billed as containing hot fudge --was vanilla coated in ice crystals covered in thin chocolate sauce, neither hot nor fudge. Drinks are the best items on the menu. Since it opened, this place has moved up from terrible to mediocre. Time to improve already.
- Low key excellent neighborhood spotJRHChathamVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very attentive and knowledgable server. Food was excellent and was reasonably priced. Although seated in a more private area as requested, the bar was prominent and probably a good spot to enjoy a meal with a close friend or date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best neighborhoodUEfamilyVIPDined on 8/3/2014Best in the neighborhood, good atmosphere, food generally very good, pleasant atmosphere, waitstaff is variable and often slow.Special Features:
- True neighborhood gemYumYumVIPDined on 7/31/2014We've eaten here twice and thought it was quite good both times. It's a bit out of the way and so blessedly avoids a scene or crowds. Works for a date or family dinner equally well. It's a lovely space, the service is professional and everything runs smoothly. The menu is varied and interesting. Our table had the risotto, salmon and lamb chops- all were top notch. The only disappointment was the dessert. Sounded great, looked beautiful, but tasted meh. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a neighborhood gem!HappydinerVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had the loveliest lunch. THe food was farm to table--the owner met us at the door. Our waitress was knowledgeable and an absolute delight. You felt as if you were in a vermont or new england country kitchen. The food was absolutely divine!! We cannot wait to go back again:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SatisfyingBMo22Dined on 7/30/2014Went on a Wed night when they have a mussel's special. It mad an excellent app with my girlfriend but could easily be a meal. The entrees were excellent as well. We look forward to going back to try more of the menu.
- The following 313 reviews are from the East End Kitchen reviews archive.
- Interesting dinner menuWinnieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a lovely salad and pasta Primavera. The portions of both items were split for us by the chef in the kitchen for a $4 charge which was fine and well worth it?? Even a half portion was plenty. My only complaint was too many crying babies ( but the parents did quickly evacuate the noisiest ones)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful family dinnerSheRah327Dined on 7/12/2014We had a great time here with my in laws and our children. The staff was very accommodating to our 2-year-old and baby. The food was amazing and our server was very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Unique find on the Upper East SideNYCdinerVIPDined on 7/9/2014The beachy setting and varied, excellent menu with moderate prices make this a true neighborhood gem. That said, the AC wasn't functioning well when we were there this week which made for a very unpleasant dining experience. Also, some of our items came out 10 minutes before our guests and the waitstaff didn't seem to recognize this shouldn't occur.Special Features:
- Solid meal every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/4/2014There is something to be said for good solid food every time, and this restaurant delivers it. Came for brunch and ordered a variety of egg and brunch dishes. Quality good as always in a friendly atmosphere. Will always come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot but...AndreaVIPDined on 6/29/2014This is a great restaurant for great, american comfort food and wonderful table service. The waiters and waitresses are all outstanding. The decor is also very chic and smart. But…the hostesses could be a lot nicer. Every time I have been there, which 3 times now, I have sensed that I am interrupting the hostess by walking in and then bothering them when I ask for a different table. The hostess or host is the first person you meet when you walk in the door of the restaurant. A friendly greeting with a smile can make you feel welcome or not. I haven't felt welcome at the East End Kitchen.Special Features: