East End Kitchen
539 E 81st Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
East End Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://eastendkitchennyc.com/
- Phone: 2128790450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from East End Kitchen
Seasonal New American plates featuring local ingredients; rustic 85-seat bistro, outfitted with antique mirrors, Edison bulbs and leather banquettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East End Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (30)great for brunch (28)kid-friendly (26)good for groups (22)great for lunch (16)special occasion (8)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful Neighborhood Find!LovesCityDiningDined on 9/24/2014We were delighted with our recent dinner at East End Kitchen. It has been a favorite for brunch, but until now, we had not eaten dinner at the restaurant. The scallops were excellent- attractive presentation and delicious, crunchy vegetables. The beef fillet and sides were just as good. Because we had an early dinner reservation, our very nice glass of wine at the bar was priced at the Happy Hour special of $5.00. Wow! We noted that on other nights - Tuesdays and Saturdays? -you an enjoy a special of half-priced bottles of wine with dinner. In general, the pricing on food and wine is very reasonable, especially for the quality and certainly worth a little trip East.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PurpleHazeDined on 9/20/2014Great overall experience - food, service, atmosphere, value. Among the best restaurants at this price point on the UES. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much time!AbuelitaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great for a quick dinner, a really good one at that. We shRed the fig salad, my husband was carbo loafing. So he had the risotto and I had a burger. Just what we were looking for. It was all great. It has become our neighbood Cantine, it is nice that they know what we want. Keep it up.Special Features:
- Nightly fareAbuelitaVIPDined on 9/15/2014We would go every night if possible, the new fall menu is wonderful. It feels like a farm to table restuarant.Special Features:
- Solid neighborhood choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2014We have watched this restaurant evolve since opening and were glad to see it packed on a Friday night. Food is very good, occasionally inspired. Service a bit rushed, tables a bit too close together (try to avoid tables near bathroom and kitchen), but generally comfortable environment. I think the prices are too high for what it is, but the packed dining room obviously did not agree. 1 salad, 2 basic entrees (roast chicken, pasta primavera) and 2 glasses of wine = $100 with tip. Still, we're glad to have this option in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/1/2014Had a lovely brunch here - good neighbourhood findSpecial Features:
- Sunday night specialjpearlDined on 8/31/2014Friendly staff; Sunday night special is a very good deal for NYC-$17 gets you an entree (meaty ribs, fish &chips, shrimp, burger et al; not the full menu) with a craft beer on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 8/28/2014East End Kitchen isa great neighborhood restaurant. Excelent food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Close but Lacks GracelocaltreatDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is within block of my home and I am a foodie. The kitchen and wait service interacts poorly with customers.
- pedroDined on 8/24/2014great as usual! we enjoy the service food and atmoshereSpecial Features:
- AndyVIPDined on 8/23/2014A true neighborhood gem. East End Kitchen never disappoints.Special Features:
- AndyVIPDined on 8/21/2014A true neighborhood gem. Great food at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wed Night MusselskentVIPDined on 8/20/2014We have been here many, many times but never on a Wed for mussels. It gets packed! The service has to struggle to keep up, slower than usual.Special Features:
- Our CantineAbuelitaVIPDined on 8/19/2014We love having dinner at East End Kitchen. We went twice this week and each time had great meals. The risotto of the day is always excellent as was the salmon this week. I would go every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeIronMikeDined on 8/15/2014Good ambiance, food and service. Girlfriend is vegan so she had some sides. I'm doing low carb and had a burger with no bun, but lots of other choices on the menu for me.Special Features:
- Get your act togetherDiner1111VIPDined on 8/12/2014This is the only restaurant near East End, but that is no excuse for mediocrity. The good is just ok. Nothing is really delicious. The sundae --which is billed as containing hot fudge --was vanilla coated in ice crystals covered in thin chocolate sauce, neither hot nor fudge. Drinks are the best items on the menu. Since it opened, this place has moved up from terrible to mediocre. Time to improve already.
- Low key excellent neighborhood spotJRHChathamDined on 8/8/2014Very attentive and knowledgable server. Food was excellent and was reasonably priced. Although seated in a more private area as requested, the bar was prominent and probably a good spot to enjoy a meal with a close friend or date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodKBinNYCDined on 8/6/2014We had dinner with another couple on Wednesday night. The food was great and the ambience was perfect. This place does not disappoint. I am so glad it is in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Best neighborhoodUEfamilyVIPDined on 8/3/2014Best in the neighborhood, good atmosphere, food generally very good, pleasant atmosphere, waitstaff is variable and often slow.Special Features:
- True neighborhood gemYumYumVIPDined on 7/31/2014We've eaten here twice and thought it was quite good both times. It's a bit out of the way and so blessedly avoids a scene or crowds. Works for a date or family dinner equally well. It's a lovely space, the service is professional and everything runs smoothly. The menu is varied and interesting. Our table had the risotto, salmon and lamb chops- all were top notch. The only disappointment was the dessert. Sounded great, looked beautiful, but tasted meh. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a neighborhood gem!HappydinerVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had the loveliest lunch. THe food was farm to table--the owner met us at the door. Our waitress was knowledgeable and an absolute delight. You felt as if you were in a vermont or new england country kitchen. The food was absolutely divine!! We cannot wait to go back again:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SatisfyingBMo22Dined on 7/30/2014Went on a Wed night when they have a mussel's special. It mad an excellent app with my girlfriend but could easily be a meal. The entrees were excellent as well. We look forward to going back to try more of the menu.
- Interesting dinner menuWinnieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a lovely salad and pasta Primavera. The portions of both items were split for us by the chef in the kitchen for a $4 charge which was fine and well worth it?? Even a half portion was plenty. My only complaint was too many crying babies ( but the parents did quickly evacuate the noisiest ones)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful family dinnerSheRah327Dined on 7/12/2014We had a great time here with my in laws and our children. The staff was very accommodating to our 2-year-old and baby. The food was amazing and our server was very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Unique find on the Upper East SideNYCdinerVIPDined on 7/9/2014The beachy setting and varied, excellent menu with moderate prices make this a true neighborhood gem. That said, the AC wasn't functioning well when we were there this week which made for a very unpleasant dining experience. Also, some of our items came out 10 minutes before our guests and the waitstaff didn't seem to recognize this shouldn't occur.Special Features:
- Solid meal every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/4/2014There is something to be said for good solid food every time, and this restaurant delivers it. Came for brunch and ordered a variety of egg and brunch dishes. Quality good as always in a friendly atmosphere. Will always come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot but...AndreaVIPDined on 6/29/2014This is a great restaurant for great, american comfort food and wonderful table service. The waiters and waitresses are all outstanding. The decor is also very chic and smart. But…the hostesses could be a lot nicer. Every time I have been there, which 3 times now, I have sensed that I am interrupting the hostess by walking in and then bothering them when I ask for a different table. The hostess or host is the first person you meet when you walk in the door of the restaurant. A friendly greeting with a smile can make you feel welcome or not. I haven't felt welcome at the East End Kitchen.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/25/2014We've eaten here many times and are never disappointed. The food is consistently good, the servers are professional and pleasant and the atmosphere is neither stuffy nor overly casual.Special Features:
- Nice menu and pretty/casual roomninaVIPDined on 6/21/2014Friendly server but not attentive - left us looking for him or asking others or busboys for our wine, to order Not a diner - and prices that command better treatmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheerful and cozyproofofthepuddingDined on 6/12/2014A fantastic restaurant has finally come to East End Avenue. Cheerful white farm-style decor creates a trendy/cozy ambiance. We go often with friends and family. The restaurant is frequented by people of all ages and lots of groups of 20 -30 somethings. The food is consistently good, the price is right, and the week day specials make it compelling to go out for dinner- mussel night, 1/2 price bottle of wines...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well-prepared American foodtatianaVIPDined on 6/9/2014We had Pork n' Peaches and NY Strip Steak entrees. Both were well executed. Steak perfect medium, pork moist. I was a bit put off at first by the prices, but the portions are fairly large. The restaurant was almost completely full on Monday night. Something i didn't expect all the way on East End. The service was attentive. The only thing we disliked was the bottle of Black Bear Petit Syrah albeit at 50% off (Monday special!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 6/3/2014East End Kitchen is a true neighborhood gem! Very good food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- The following 302 reviews are from the East End Kitchen reviews archive.
- Awesome restaurantdga1Dined on 5/31/2014I usually judge restaurants by the food, and the food is incredible at East End Kitchen. I recommend ordering an omelette with goat cheese, spinach, and bell peppers. I tried some of my friend's pancakes and they were delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 5/28/2014A true neighborhood gem! East End Kitchen never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 5/19/2014As always the food and service were very good. I can recommend this restaurant without any hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014lovely restaurant, good food but terrible service. Wrong bottle of wine delivered to table. Kitchen apologized for delay , restaurant was not crowded so don't understand the backup in the kitchen. Comped with donuts- would have preferred to select a dessert from menu. Will still return to restaurant - this is the first negative experience we have had.Special Features:
- glad there are therediner14VIPDined on 5/16/2014we miss the French restaurant that had been there for years...but glad someone took over the space. More restaurants are needed in the neighborhood. Nice food and drink menu.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 5/16/2014This is my second time eating at this restaurant. Great neighborhood find. Lance, the waiter, knows the menu and is very attentive. Look forward to eating there again.Special Features:
- Fresh and delicious fishIlovetheHiddenGemDined on 5/15/2014I dined here with my brother on a casual weekday evening and although it's so far east, the place was lively but the service was prompt. I had the fish special and it was fantastic, super fresh and very flavorful preparation. The mashed sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts sides are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 5/14/2014I love mussels night. 15 different dishes to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.