East End Kitchen
539 E 81st Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
East End Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://eastendkitchennyc.com/
- Phone: 2128790450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from East End Kitchen
Seasonal New American plates featuring local ingredients; rustic 85-seat bistro, outfitted with antique mirrors, Edison bulbs and leather banquettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East End Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)great for brunch (34)fit for foodies (27)kid-friendly (24)good for groups (21)great for lunch (16)special occasion (8)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Close but Lacks GracelocaltreatDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is within block of my home and I am a foodie. The kitchen and wait service interacts poorly with customers.
- AndyVIPDined on 8/23/2014A true neighborhood gem. East End Kitchen never disappoints.Special Features:
- AndyVIPDined on 8/21/2014A true neighborhood gem. Great food at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wed Night MusselskentVIPDined on 8/20/2014We have been here many, many times but never on a Wed for mussels. It gets packed! The service has to struggle to keep up, slower than usual.Special Features:
- Our CantineAbuelitaVIPDined on 8/19/2014We love having dinner at East End Kitchen. We went twice this week and each time had great meals. The risotto of the day is always excellent as was the salmon this week. I would go every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeIronMikeDined on 8/15/2014Good ambiance, food and service. Girlfriend is vegan so she had some sides. I'm doing low carb and had a burger with no bun, but lots of other choices on the menu for me.Special Features:
- Get your act togetherDiner1111VIPDined on 8/12/2014This is the only restaurant near East End, but that is no excuse for mediocrity. The good is just ok. Nothing is really delicious. The sundae --which is billed as containing hot fudge --was vanilla coated in ice crystals covered in thin chocolate sauce, neither hot nor fudge. Drinks are the best items on the menu. Since it opened, this place has moved up from terrible to mediocre. Time to improve already.
- Low key excellent neighborhood spotJRHChathamDined on 8/8/2014Very attentive and knowledgable server. Food was excellent and was reasonably priced. Although seated in a more private area as requested, the bar was prominent and probably a good spot to enjoy a meal with a close friend or date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best neighborhoodUEfamilyVIPDined on 8/3/2014Best in the neighborhood, good atmosphere, food generally very good, pleasant atmosphere, waitstaff is variable and often slow.Special Features:
- True neighborhood gemYumYumVIPDined on 7/31/2014We've eaten here twice and thought it was quite good both times. It's a bit out of the way and so blessedly avoids a scene or crowds. Works for a date or family dinner equally well. It's a lovely space, the service is professional and everything runs smoothly. The menu is varied and interesting. Our table had the risotto, salmon and lamb chops- all were top notch. The only disappointment was the dessert. Sounded great, looked beautiful, but tasted meh. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a neighborhood gem!HappydinerVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had the loveliest lunch. THe food was farm to table--the owner met us at the door. Our waitress was knowledgeable and an absolute delight. You felt as if you were in a vermont or new england country kitchen. The food was absolutely divine!! We cannot wait to go back again:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SatisfyingBMo22Dined on 7/30/2014Went on a Wed night when they have a mussel's special. It mad an excellent app with my girlfriend but could easily be a meal. The entrees were excellent as well. We look forward to going back to try more of the menu.
- Interesting dinner menuWinnieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a lovely salad and pasta Primavera. The portions of both items were split for us by the chef in the kitchen for a $4 charge which was fine and well worth it?? Even a half portion was plenty. My only complaint was too many crying babies ( but the parents did quickly evacuate the noisiest ones)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful family dinnerSheRah327Dined on 7/12/2014We had a great time here with my in laws and our children. The staff was very accommodating to our 2-year-old and baby. The food was amazing and our server was very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Unique find on the Upper East SideNYCdinerVIPDined on 7/9/2014The beachy setting and varied, excellent menu with moderate prices make this a true neighborhood gem. That said, the AC wasn't functioning well when we were there this week which made for a very unpleasant dining experience. Also, some of our items came out 10 minutes before our guests and the waitstaff didn't seem to recognize this shouldn't occur.Special Features:
- Solid meal every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/4/2014There is something to be said for good solid food every time, and this restaurant delivers it. Came for brunch and ordered a variety of egg and brunch dishes. Quality good as always in a friendly atmosphere. Will always come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot but...AndreaVIPDined on 6/29/2014This is a great restaurant for great, american comfort food and wonderful table service. The waiters and waitresses are all outstanding. The decor is also very chic and smart. But…the hostesses could be a lot nicer. Every time I have been there, which 3 times now, I have sensed that I am interrupting the hostess by walking in and then bothering them when I ask for a different table. The hostess or host is the first person you meet when you walk in the door of the restaurant. A friendly greeting with a smile can make you feel welcome or not. I haven't felt welcome at the East End Kitchen.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/25/2014We've eaten here many times and are never disappointed. The food is consistently good, the servers are professional and pleasant and the atmosphere is neither stuffy nor overly casual.Special Features:
- Nice menu and pretty/casual roomninaVIPDined on 6/21/2014Friendly server but not attentive - left us looking for him or asking others or busboys for our wine, to order Not a diner - and prices that command better treatmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheerful and cozyproofofthepuddingDined on 6/12/2014A fantastic restaurant has finally come to East End Avenue. Cheerful white farm-style decor creates a trendy/cozy ambiance. We go often with friends and family. The restaurant is frequented by people of all ages and lots of groups of 20 -30 somethings. The food is consistently good, the price is right, and the week day specials make it compelling to go out for dinner- mussel night, 1/2 price bottle of wines...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well-prepared American foodtatianaVIPDined on 6/9/2014We had Pork n' Peaches and NY Strip Steak entrees. Both were well executed. Steak perfect medium, pork moist. I was a bit put off at first by the prices, but the portions are fairly large. The restaurant was almost completely full on Monday night. Something i didn't expect all the way on East End. The service was attentive. The only thing we disliked was the bottle of Black Bear Petit Syrah albeit at 50% off (Monday special!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 6/3/2014East End Kitchen is a true neighborhood gem! Very good food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantdga1Dined on 5/31/2014I usually judge restaurants by the food, and the food is incredible at East End Kitchen. I recommend ordering an omelette with goat cheese, spinach, and bell peppers. I tried some of my friend's pancakes and they were delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 5/28/2014A true neighborhood gem! East End Kitchen never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 5/19/2014As always the food and service were very good. I can recommend this restaurant without any hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014lovely restaurant, good food but terrible service. Wrong bottle of wine delivered to table. Kitchen apologized for delay , restaurant was not crowded so don't understand the backup in the kitchen. Comped with donuts- would have preferred to select a dessert from menu. Will still return to restaurant - this is the first negative experience we have had.Special Features:
- glad there are therediner14VIPDined on 5/16/2014we miss the French restaurant that had been there for years...but glad someone took over the space. More restaurants are needed in the neighborhood. Nice food and drink menu.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 5/16/2014This is my second time eating at this restaurant. Great neighborhood find. Lance, the waiter, knows the menu and is very attentive. Look forward to eating there again.Special Features:
- Fresh and delicious fishIlovetheHiddenGemDined on 5/15/2014I dined here with my brother on a casual weekday evening and although it's so far east, the place was lively but the service was prompt. I had the fish special and it was fantastic, super fresh and very flavorful preparation. The mashed sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts sides are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyVIPDined on 5/14/2014I love mussels night. 15 different dishes to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantNYC1235Dined on 5/14/2014Eat here all the time and we love it. Come here with kids too and they have kids menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neverhomeVIPDined on 5/11/2014Great Mother's Day dinner.. Plenty of room for the baby stroller.. Not so easy in manhattan. The starters were crispy artichokes, not seen too often elsewhere, and a special salad with fresh figs. Dinners were 2 specials of pan seared sea bass, and roasted chicken, always amazing, and seared tuna. Only glitch was extra LNG wait for dessert.. Should have been advised of needed time when it was clear that an infant was nearing mektdownSpecial Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/10/2014I really enjoyed East End Kitchen. I had the Free Range Chicken and it was delightful. I appreciate that they have several organic and free-range options on their menu. I will be going back Wednesday for mussels night (every Wednesday, mussels 15 different ways!)Special Features:
- Garlic cityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/9/2014It was hard to find anything on the menu that did not have galic in it. From the asparagus and fennel soup to the salad to the lentils to the sauce on the scallops, everything was loaded with garlic. I do not tolerate garlic well, so it was frustrating. The chef and server worked with me, but it was not a good experience. The main dish was so small that my husband was still hungry at theend of dinner.
- Coming home!vivostrowDined on 4/30/2014I love this place it is quaint and lovely the food is always good and the staff is very warm! I love it here! I I could go every evening! We all had a marvelous time and we will be back!! VSpecial Features:
- The following 290 reviews are from the East End Kitchen reviews archive.
- Best in the NeighborhoodWinstonVIPDined on 4/27/2014We have enjoyed many good meals at East End - brunch on the weekend, all day breakfast/lunch offerings (very unusual and very welcome!) and excellent meals for dinner. Lunch service can be a tad slow, but the crowd can vary from a handful to packed, so it really depends on the number of diners at any time. Some inventive dishes, and last night we tried the $17 Sunday evening special menu and it was just right for us. Many families there enjoying early dinner together. Perfect set up and so good for our sometimes forgotten east end area.Special Features:
- disappointingrikiDined on 4/17/2014The duck confit was dried out. The special [entree plus 3 sides] sounds like you are going to get a decent sized meal but the portions are so small that my male friend ordered a salad after the main course because he was still hungry. The family next to us with 3 noisy children next to us did not help.Special Features:
- Great service, really tasty food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014This is our second time at East End Kitchen and it was just as good as the first. Our server was outstanding, really professional, extremely pleasant, not too intrusive. And the food is always fresh and tastes great! We also love the ambiance and decoration. Just a great place to enjoy a meal.Special Features:
- Wednesday nightsnonameVIPDined on 4/9/2014The Mussel selection on Wednesday nights is a special treat! It is especially nice to be able to get them in 1/2 portions (or full) allowing one to sample other great offerings as well.Special Features:
- Great extensive menu withArw1VIPDined on 4/8/2014Great extensive menu with wonderful daily specials. A definite must try.Special Features: