East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
1271 Cambridge St
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://eastcoastgrill.net/
- Phone: (617) 491-6568
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
Saturday Lunch: 11:00am 2:30 pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jason Heard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef/Owner Jason Heard, Catering Chef Nate Creed and Catering Director Becky Rogers feel that they have truly mastered the art of catering. Together they will customize a menu that fits your style, tastes and budget. From pig roasts, birthdays, company events, Bat and Bar Mitzvahs and weddings, there is no end to what they can and will do for you.
- Private Party Facilities: The Lava Lounge can be yours for the night! Offering private parties for you and up to 28 of your closest friends. We will customize your menu to best suit your group- even offer to create "Your Own Personal Hell." Give us a call and we'll take care of the details to make your night perfect!
- Private Party Contact: James Lozano 6174916568x
A word from East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
East Coast Grill brings high level big, bold flavors with live fire grilled seafood and Low & Slow BBQ in a fun casual atmosphere. Highlighted by its open kitchen, full raw bar and funky décor; it remains a corner stone of the Greater Boston after 25 years!! The theory here is that the closer one gets to the equator, the more flavor there is in the food. Expect the chile-fueled heat of the Caribbean, the grill-savvy of Latin American cuisine, and the dynamism of Asia when you order from the regionally inspired menu. Our Brunch Bloody Mary bar has garnered quite the following of hard-core Bloody Mary enthusiasts. Drop by for Brunch (Sundays), Lunch (Saturdays), Dinner 7 days a week or for our late-nite snacks, raw bar and cocktails (Thursday through Saturday starting October 17th).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East Coast Grill & Raw Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (38)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (24)great for brunch (15)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014all food items were very good, noise level was almost too highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Bring the Firesurfturf2VIPDined on 11/20/2014East Coast Grille is one of my favorite spots in Cambridge/Boston. To me, it is the best brunch in Cambridge, especially if you like a little, and definitely a lot, of heat. I decided to go for dinner. The Planters Punch is good. It is one of those mixed drinks that sneaks up on you. Goes down smooth and then you feel the effects of the alcohol and it is fair amount in that glass. You have been warned. I also decided to branch out and have the Shrimp and Grits instead of something from the BBQ side of the menu. I was pleasantly surprised by the shrimp and sauce they put on the grits. It had the right amount of sweetness from the vegetables without letting it overpower the shrimp. The only thing I didn't like is that the tail of the shrimp is still on. It gets in the way of digging in with reckless disregard for table manners. And trust me, when you see that beautiful plate, you will not care what others think about how you are eating your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2014I lived in Boston/Cambridge for 8 years and loved coming to East Coast Grill for brunch when I did. Naturally, when I went back to visit with my friends from Texas, it was on my list to go there with them - the service was generally good, and the bloody mary bar was awesome (so were the mimosas according to my friends). However, everything that came out of the kitchen was COLD - the donuts, the cornbread, the shrimp and grits, EVERYTHING. We would have sent food back, but we were told that our 11 am reservation was only good until 1 pm when another party needed to be seated. When you have a large bill for mediocre food - not good...
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Very interesting, delicious menu items--the shrimp and grits and the wild shrimp boil were outstanding. The service was spectacular. The restaurant and bar are very boisterous, so this place is not good for a quiet, romantic date--but their food is definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Trust Your TVtsktskVIPDined on 11/10/2014We saw a piece on the restaurant recently on TV and said "Gosh, we haven't been there in years and it was so good. Let's go tomorrow." We did and it was awful. The ribs were dry, the $3 piece of cornbread was dry and totally unexciting, the sides were boring, it was expensive - really there was nothing positive to say about this. We'll know next time to (a) not trust certain reviewers (b) stick to other rib places that have far surpassed this original or (c) make 'em at home!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014All good, except for delivery of clams on the half-shell appetizer, which came way later than the other 2 appetizers. Waiter did apologize. Surprised the service was as good as it was considering how jammed and noisy the place was. All 3 of us enjoyed our meals a lot, and the noisy crowd gives the place a fun energy. Wouldn't recommend the restauran for a romantic dinner, however, at least not on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Reservation RequiredPumpkinHeadGalDined on 11/8/2014This place was hopping Saturday night! The hubs and I arrived for a 7:15pm reservation and there was already a line. Waited for 10 minutes until we were seated and the unfortunately another 10 minutes before we got a menu or asked for drinks. It was very busy! We had been wanting to visit since we are both seafood and BBQ fans. We weren't disappointed with the New England oysters, trio BBQ platter or the Snow Crab. Word of advise though, it's an open kitchen so it gets super loud. If you're looking for a quiet scene, this isn't the place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bungee23Dined on 11/8/2014Food was adequate at best. Brisket had to be sent back because it was cold and fatty. Food was returned to me in a timely manner but was definitely not a quality cut of beef that was covered in a barbeque sauce that was not good at all. Snow crabs with corn was a better choice.Special Features:
- Very noisy early on a Sat. eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014Very noisy early on a Sat. evening. Food was not as good as I remember and was somewhat disappointed.
- Dinner in CambridgeDaveDined on 11/2/2014This is a great place to come with friends. The atmosphere is informal. The food choices are interesting. The oyster selection is a major plus, as is the bar-B-Q choices. While this was my first visit, I will surely return in the future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The food is phenomenal. Service was a little slow at first, but it was busy so that's understandable. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hadn't Been in a WhileDavidVIPDined on 10/29/2014We had a nice time. It was much as I remembered it. Energetic and fun. Service maybe a little slow but nothing serious.Special Features:
- Lots of FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014The portions of food were large and since it was our first visit, we would have appreciated more help from our server about the different menu items. We ended up with lots of leftovers-not useful if you are traveling.Special Features:
- Love the lounge!bostoncandyladyDined on 10/26/2014When we got in for our anniversary dinner the restaurant seemed noisy. Fortunately as we had a reservation they gave us a table in the back lounge which is quiet and romantic. They were happy to work with our special request for a virgin cucumber watermelon margarita, which was great. Everything was delicious. We enjoyed the menu item of buying a round for the kitchen staff - a nice touch!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The noise level on kitchen side tables was extremely loud for conversation. Overall very good food and service though.Special Features:
- Loud!!! at least the food was goodYS23Dined on 10/18/2014We went on a Saturday night and the place was packed. The staff did apologize, but we waited 10 minutes despite reservations. Once we got seated and ordered, the food came quickly and was pretty good. I have had better oysters elsewhere (there was not much brine left in the shell), but the tuna tacos and mussels were very tasty, as were the crabs and fish. My biggest gripe about the food was that the waitress urged me to get some bread with the mussels: it turned out to be $6 for 3 slices of stale grilled bread with roasted garlic. But the noise level was the worst part by far: the kitchen was purposely banging on their pots, making me jump and rendering it impossible to hear my dinner companions. I would NOT go back again on a weekend.Special Features:
- Just the right spiceLizzyDined on 10/18/2014Loved the fish with pineapple salsa. A little loud, but a fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food-Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I took my sweetheart out to dinner here on Fri night 10/17/14. We were very happy with the delicious food and great service. The main dining room is super noisy. That is how it is set up...the kitchen is open to the dining room and the cooks are yelling out orders etc. It is funky and fun, but if you need a calmer quieter place for dinner you might ask for the back room which I think is quieter.Special Features:
- Good food, poor servicergshaqDined on 10/12/2014We really liked the food. The place is very casual and that is not a bad thing, but the prices are very high - as high as three star finer dining establishments in the area and downtown Boston. For that price ($32 entrees), we expect better service. I ordered ribs, and the other person in our party ordered crab legs. Both were good dishes, but we continually waited on drinks, on more BBQ Sauce and butter, napkins...We had to flag down multiple waiters and still sometimes had to ask a second waiter for the same thing. Considering the price of the food, this is unacceptable. I would probably not return for dinner here. Perhaps for brunch, but not for dinner.Special Features:
- Ok food outstanding serviceJananVIPDined on 10/9/2014The brisket was tough, however the manager and the server went out of their way to correct it.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Have been to Hell Night many times, have taken my employees for events, and my wife and I have been patrons for close to 20 years of ECG. Last year my wife and I had reservations for Hell Night in September. It was awful, especially the food. Heard the original chef was back, so I made a res hoping it would be great as in years past. Unfortunately, the hostess at the front desk was so unaccommodating we left before we ate. We asked twice to be moved and were told no although there were multiple open tables for two. Everything was worked out to "a science" no changes to table could be made - really? My wife told the hostess it was too loud and dark where we were (under a speaker) her response - too bad - so we left - never to return.
- Hot. Loud. Fun.beezkneezDined on 9/28/2014Took my adult kids to brunch. Bloody Mary Bar is kinda fun - but cries out for bacon. Food is good. Not typical brunch fare - more lunch. I ordered plain scrambled eggs which were listed as a side dish (two) and think they served me six. Grits were good. Plantains excellent. Baked bananas with pulled pork were fun. Server was great. Noise level makes conversation difficult - so that might deter me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to its reputationNoJoDined on 9/27/2014We went there expecting really good food but what we got was a rather limited menu and just ok food. The service was very good though as were the cocktails.Special Features:
- Hopping place with good food & loudAndrewDined on 9/27/2014Service was excellent; accomodating for gluten-free needs, food was good (though limited Saturday lunch menu); room is loud!Special Features:
- mmmmmDined on 9/20/2014Very fast service, the hot wings are definitely the spiciest I have ever tried. The seafood was indescribably good.Special Features:
- Wouldn't recommendLdt17Dined on 9/20/2014Incredibly loud restaurant which made it very difficult to have a conversation at the table. Service rushed the food, which was ordinary at best. BBQ sauce was on everything, which was disappointing.
- LakeForestfoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Oysters were yummy but the rest of the meal was less than outstanding.
- Still great.dontgetoutmuchDined on 9/12/2014We had had a great meal here 20 years ago and weren't sure if time had embellished our memories. We were delighted to find that was not the case. I had what I think are the best ribs in the area, and your staff are the friendliest around. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014its been awhile since we have eaten at East Coast Grill and we are sad to say we were very disappointed this time. The service is great and very friendly. The food did not live up to expectations, especially for the price.
- Hot hot hotEnchantingVIPDined on 9/8/2014I' m a frequenter of the east coast grill. The food never disappoints. This time around my date and I went to wing night. Decent prices and a really good variety.Special Features:
- okay place to grab a quick bitehelloboston345Dined on 9/6/2014This is a place that has an okay fish and bbq selection with a wonderful waitstaff who is very accomidating but it isnt my first choiceSpecial Features:
- Decent food, Not for special eventPickymeDined on 8/31/2014We were seated right away dispute being early for reservation. Hostess was very friendly and accommodating. Waiter friendly, we got water right away. Soda was flat, they should have changed the co2. We told the waiter and he brought another flat soda. He didn't charge for it though. Buffalo shrimp were quite good. Pickled veg complementary very good. Mahi mahi was decent Steak was okay. Overall the place is noisy, decide interesting though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timeItalianDined on 8/30/2014Here for my Birthday. Staff were great, food was very creative and done very well. Good options from BBQ to fish and you can't beat the plaintains! Be sure to enjoy the homemade pickles served when you sit down.Special Features:
- BBQ Back on topKMPbostonDined on 8/29/2014It looks like the emphasis on BBQ is back at the East Coast Grill... new energy in the brisket and pulled pork, baked beans even smokier and deeper in flavor. Always a favorite, happy to see the tradition continue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was just okezamDined on 8/29/2014Food was ok. Price/cost relation not worth it. Very noisy. Messy placeSpecial Features:
- oldie still the best over the top!MickVIPDined on 8/28/2014Wowza! What a great time, fantastic food and drink and superb wait staff ton of folks bringing items to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Comfort Food in A Long TimePhilDined on 8/23/2014Prior to theater in Harvard Sq decided to have early dinner. Parking on street & promptly seated at 5:30 when restaurant opened. Not being big drinkers had a glass of sangria and wife an iced tea. Special appetizer-cajun shrimp was excellent w/just right amount of spice. Brisket & ribs perfectly cooked & arrived w/warm cornbread, cole slaw & fantastic baked beans (definitely not out of the can). Portions good size. Waiters/waiteresses very attentive offering refills on iced tea & asking us if there was anything we needed. Plenty of time to eat w/o being rushed & still made it to the play with time to spare. Desserts looked very interesting. Will have to wait for another time. Price for what u got was reasonable (sangria maybe a bit high).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Been coming here for many years taking friends visiting from out of town. Big date night place for my wifeand I. Reservation for 6 people was ready when we arrived. Everyone in our party was happy even me as a vegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent fish and vegetarianannieDined on 8/22/2014Fish dishes are excellent as are raw oysters. barbaque meat dishes are huge and rich..vegetarian entree excellent and plentiful, but one veg (kale?) was tough and inedible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but pricey food, odd ambianceLoudandPriceybutdeliciousDined on 8/20/2014It says something that this place's ambiance made us question the quality of our forthcoming food. The volume of the music was too high for a mid-week dinner spot, and the song selection was bizarre. It careened from my mall punk middle school days (NoFX) to horrible corporate country to lame contemporary pop in the space of three songs. That said, when the food arrived, we let bygones be bygones and the music played second fiddle (har har). Our meals were very good - not quite worth the price, but close. I would recommend this place with the caveat that patrons come prepared to pay five dollars beyond the quality of their entrees and brace themselves for a cornucopia of unfortunate noise. A solid B, on the verge of a B+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.