East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
1271 Cambridge St
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://eastcoastgrill.net/
- Phone: 6174916568x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
Saturday Lunch: 11:00am 2:30 pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jason Heard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef/Owner Jason Heard, Catering Chef Nate Creed and Catering Director Becky Rogers feel that they have truly mastered the art of catering. Together they will customize a menu that fits your style, tastes and budget. From pig roasts, birthdays, company events, Bat and Bar Mitzvahs and weddings, there is no end to what they can and will do for you.
- Private Party Facilities: The Lava Lounge can be yours for the night! Offering private parties for you and up to 28 of your closest friends. We will customize your menu to best suit your group- even offer to create "Your Own Personal Hell." Give us a call and we'll take care of the details to make your night perfect!
- Private Party Contact: James Lozano 6174916568x
A word from East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
East Coast Grill brings high level big, bold flavors with live fire grilled seafood and Low & Slow BBQ in a fun casual atmosphere. Highlighted by its open kitchen, full raw bar and funky décor; it remains a corner stone of the Greater Boston after 25 years!! The theory here is that the closer one gets to the equator, the more flavor there is in the food. Expect the chile-fueled heat of the Caribbean, the grill-savvy of Latin American cuisine, and the dynamism of Asia when you order from the regionally inspired menu. Our Brunch Bloody Mary bar has garnered quite the following of hard-core Bloody Mary enthusiasts. Drop by for Brunch (Sundays), Lunch (Saturdays), Dinner 7 days a week or for our late-nite snacks, raw bar and cocktails (Thursday through Saturday starting October 17th).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East Coast Grill & Raw Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (55)good for groups (33)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (23)special occasion (17)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (9)great for lunch (5)romantic (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Best Comfort Food in A Long TimePhilDined on 8/23/2014Prior to theater in Harvard Sq decided to have early dinner. Parking on street & promptly seated at 5:30 when restaurant opened. Not being big drinkers had a glass of sangria and wife an iced tea. Special appetizer-cajun shrimp was excellent w/just right amount of spice. Brisket & ribs perfectly cooked & arrived w/warm cornbread, cole slaw & fantastic baked beans (definitely not out of the can). Portions good size. Waiters/waiteresses very attentive offering refills on iced tea & asking us if there was anything we needed. Plenty of time to eat w/o being rushed & still made it to the play with time to spare. Desserts looked very interesting. Will have to wait for another time. Price for what u got was reasonable (sangria maybe a bit high).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Been coming here for many years taking friends visiting from out of town. Big date night place for my wifeand I. Reservation for 6 people was ready when we arrived. Everyone in our party was happy even me as a vegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent fish and vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Fish dishes are excellent as are raw oysters. barbaque meat dishes are huge and rich..vegetarian entree excellent and plentiful, but one veg (kale?) was tough and inedible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but pricey food, odd ambianceLoudandPriceybutdeliciousDined on 8/20/2014It says something that this place's ambiance made us question the quality of our forthcoming food. The volume of the music was too high for a mid-week dinner spot, and the song selection was bizarre. It careened from my mall punk middle school days (NoFX) to horrible corporate country to lame contemporary pop in the space of three songs. That said, when the food arrived, we let bygones be bygones and the music played second fiddle (har har). Our meals were very good - not quite worth the price, but close. I would recommend this place with the caveat that patrons come prepared to pay five dollars beyond the quality of their entrees and brace themselves for a cornucopia of unfortunate noise. A solid B, on the verge of a B+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldtime gemcakiDined on 8/20/2014Always love the mango/avocado gazpacho so chunky and full of flavor. Shrimp tacos wee delicious with a touch of heat in the sauce. Appreciate good veggie sides like the braised greens. Key lime pie was a great ending. Happy to lean they now take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No seafoodAPGMJRDined on 8/3/2014I was told it was a good place for seafood in the area. The day I went for dinner they only had 2 options for dinner. Their menu has very very very few choices of food and drinks
- DisappointedXimenitaDined on 7/31/2014I have been an ECG fan for over 10 years. It has been our go to place for their oysters, fun food, drinks and atmosphere. We ordered some of their appetizers to share. Their corn, shrimp and tuna taco were great. The lamb was extremely fatty and rough to eat. We told the waitress we would not be eating it, that we would still pay for it but that we wanted something else. She rolled her eyes, proceeded to bring it to the open kitchen, pointed at our table and made a big scene about it. Another staff member came back and told us that lamb is always fatty. Overall the food was good but the waitstaff ruined a nice evening. I'll chuck it up to inexperience and personal bad attitude but I was embarrassed to have brought my friends here.Special Features:
- Fun timeAlMichele84VIPDined on 7/19/2014Our group of 6 enjoyed our dinner here. Drinks were, good, food was great and the service excellent. We like the varied menu, BBQ and seafood were hits. Always enjoy dining here.Special Features:
- Very coolRockerDined on 7/18/2014Food was outstanding. Loved the place and neighborhood hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 7/14/2014Been there many times, but this time was disappointing. Food only fair and the place seemed old. It was Monday night and only about 1/2 full - may reflect having gone down hill.
- Last meal at East Coast GrillkikiVIPDined on 7/12/2014For nearly 20 years and have had good meals at ECG. This past weekend was my last time though. I ordered the BBQ platter: ribs, pulled pork, Texas brisket, baked beans, cornbread. The plate came with everything heaped in an unappealing pile. The ribs had little meat and it was tough; clearly not the slow-cooked, fall-off-the-bone kind you'd expect from a quality restaurant. The BBQ sauce on the ribs tasted like cheap store brand sauce. The pulled pork was tasteless and dry. But the real shocker was the brisket - a 4-inch long slab of pure fat. It was completely inedible. When I complained to the waiter, he casually said Sorry and offered to bring over an additional rib. I declined. Service was also poor. I won't be returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014great dinner at great location - a hidden gem - will definitely recommend and return!Special Features:
- Good food, good service, good funneighborhoodfoodieDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed the dining experience very much. The occasion was my nephew's 50th birthday and the ECG was his choice. Food was delicious, especially his grilled bluefish, and service was great. We arrived 20minutes late for our reservation only to be told that they give away tables after 15 minutes. I was taken aback by this and when I indicated that I was unaware of this policy, was told that it is not written anywhere. I think it should be. At any rate, the host and hostess both got to work and found us a table very quickly, so all was not lost. All in all, it was a fun evening. I think it's hard not to have a good time there.Special Features:
- Lots of PotentialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Our seating was fine but right near their grill. If you haven't been they have a charcoal grill, and while it is cool, it had embers sparking out and hitting my wife. I think a charcoal grill is a gimmick, as it doesn't add anything from a flavor perspective. Use gas and keep it safer and controllable. The food was inspired but not well executed. My shrimp and grits was a cool idea, but a syrupy sweet glaze/marinade masked any interesting flavors. My wife got the BBQ trio, and it was below average. They seem to smoke the BBQ ahead of time, which is reasonable, but they use their HOT charcoal grill to heat it up, which just creates tough BBQ. Also they slop thick sauce on the meat, which is pointless as far as I'm concerned with good meat.
- Always Delicious!FoodExtraordinaireDined on 6/20/2014We've been going to East Coast Grill for years & we've never been disappointed. Their food is always fresh & delicious. Don't ever hesitate to order the raw oysters. They are amazing. Love the wide variety of beer & drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyeaterVIPDined on 6/18/2014Excellent service-wonderful food! Creative, delicious !! The only down side is the noise level--if you don't mind a really noisy atmosphere--you must go!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyeaterDined on 6/15/2014I definitely would return to try more dishes. Service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be so goodkassiaDined on 6/14/2014now the ribs & brisket are tough, and the prices too high for the quality. the pickles are still good, and the duck salad was quite nice. even the oyster selection was scanty (one excellent, one fair - though they seemed to have been handled safely, which is the most important thing about oysters).
- Best Jerk Chicken EverMemaDined on 6/11/2014My son and I had dinner at East Coast Grill the other night and both ordered the jerk chicken. We strongly agreed that it was the best we've ever tasted. I also love their margaritas and I am a total margarita snob, fresh lime juice only and not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, But PriceyStephDined on 6/11/2014Loved the menu list (BBQ and seafood? Don't mind if I do!) and the drink menu was great, but with all the casual ambience, it became pretty easy to forget the hefty price tag that comes with that plate. Great location and great experience, but won't be back for a little while.Special Features:
- East Coast shinesjdevlinDined on 6/5/2014My out of town friends from the west wanted really good seafood and East Coast Grill did not disappoint. We arrived and the service was outstanding. We ordered oysters to start. One order of the Cape Cod oysters came with mignonette sauce and a spicy cocktail sauce, while the other was served with a soy and wasabi sauce that was superb. Just the right amount of wasabi. We also ordered the tuna tacos that were barely seared on the outside and served with cucumber and greens in a slightly spicy dressing. The mahimahi lived up to the freshness claim. Served with Mexican spices,the black beans and rice side along with plantains made a fabulous dinner. The scallops were perfectly seared and seasoned and the crab legs got rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXECELLENTactionstar21Dined on 6/4/2014Wow, what a great place. Love the hot sauce and had the best shrimp meal ever.Special Features:
- Great Experience!!LisaMagriteDined on 6/3/2014Heard about East Coast Grill for years & finally went and now know what everyone has been raving about! All the people that work there were super friendly as soon as I walked in, great service & amazing food! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- ECGAronDined on 6/2/2014What can I say? East Coast rocks the house! Also, I very much want to steal a bucket of pickles. For great justice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointedWillPayforQualityDined on 6/2/2014Can't believe how underwhelmed we were with the service, the food and the restaurant. Billed as "Chris is back"... Maybe he should have stayed away! Awful service, bland and tasteless food, definitely not worth the sky high prices. Happy to pay for quality but this just felt like a place past it's prime, hanging onto former glory and ringing the cash register at the expense of loyal patrons. I am done. Need a new go to seafood place in Cambridge.
- Decent restaurant, great locationwwm24Dined on 5/31/2014I would say that the food was pretty good, some items were a bit overdressed, but it looked to be a good spot to get cocktails with friends. However, I was there with one friend and my infant, which is something I would not do again. It needs to be kept to a place for friends and cocktails, not kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, sweet serviceSnowpea2Dined on 5/25/2014We have had dinner at the East Coast Grill & Raw Bar twice. Each time we have had seafood that knocked our socks off. And the staff is remarkably kind and solicitous, given the crush of patrons on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014We had not visited East Coast Grill since moving out of town over ten years ago. But, we returned this past weekend and were not disappointed. We started at the bar with the friendliest most personable bartender who patiently suggested drinks and described the delicious concoctions in detail - all 4 of us ordered something different and each one of us was very happy with our unique cocktail. The atmosphere is fun and energetic, casual yet also appropriate for a special occasion. We had fantastic service from the hostess, to the waitress and servers. And, the food was outstanding! We tried Oysters, steak, Mahi Mahi and ribs and each and every dish was mouth watering and done to perfection. This is one of my all time favorite spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time!Caj89Dined on 5/25/2014One of my favorite restaurants, it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good not greatimpressedVIPDined on 5/17/2014enjoyed the food at east coast grill, but did not find it to be great. very, very loud. better than mediocre, but not as good as I had remembered. we had an issue with one of our dinners, and the staff handled it very well. they took care of replacing the dish, and made the guest feel like they were very sorry about the issueSpecial Features:
- EnjoyableTheStewardVIPDined on 5/17/2014Good food, good service, noisy. Shrimp and grits better than many I have had down South. Other fishes were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VibrantrestaurantDined on 5/17/2014We were visiting the Boston area to see Harvard. I chose this restaurant with my 17 year old daughter. We were attracted by the seafood on the menu and the vibrant feel. It lived up to our expectations, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was wonderful. Well done.Special Features:
- Great fish, fatty duckTroxelDined on 5/17/2014It is a hipster place; love the little plastic animals on the bar drinks. The energy level was high, lots of families celebrating graduation with fun food. We started with excellent oysters. The Mahi Mahi was very well done, moist in the middle with lots of flavor. The duck meat was delicious (half a duck too) but we had to excavate through the fat (its a duck) which seeped into the fried plantains underneath rendering (pun) them inedible. The skin was also inedible, a shame because crisp duck skin is amazing. If I were the chef, I would give duck fat in the context of grilling some serious thought.
- Good not greatShesheDined on 5/17/2014Always packed so expect a wait at prime time if you don't have a reservation. Very loud, bustling, but service is excellent. The food is decent but won't blow you away. The hell ribs are hot as hell so order only if you are adventurous. They weren't tender though (needed to really saw them with knife) so besides the heat, they missed the mark. Margarita was excellent. Corn bread and beans and rice were slightly bland. Fish was decent. Basically hit or miss on the food. Liked it but I didn't love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodies in townBeChouieDined on 5/15/2014The levels of spicy ribs are unbeatable. The price is decent. It's a good place for chilling and for southern foods dining. Plus this grill pineapple, it goes so well with the full plate of the BBQ ribs!Special Features:
- Great ExperiencepleasedVIPDined on 5/15/2014Great restaurant, have been going for years. New owner (relatively new, I think 2 years ago), is charming and attentive. The food is consistently excellent, and the service great. Highly reccomend this place for a great evening out. And it is also a good celebration/special occasion place.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodarifattieDined on 5/14/2014Try the grilled tuna, which they cook rare and is utterly delicious! The staff were all very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceFoodFightDined on 5/11/2014Food was very good, but the restaurant is currently understaffed. It took over an hour for us to get our food after ordering. The waitstaff was "in the weeds" as they say when they're overworked. Forgetting that we hadn't eaten yet, our waiter asked us if we'd like any desert before we had gotten our food.Special Features:
- Very good foodBajaDined on 5/8/2014Shrimp and grits was very good. Service also very good. I'll be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and that's all1TMQDined on 5/8/2014First the bad: Our party was seated in a small, crowded room with a large, tacky volcano mural (complete with blinking red lights for the lava). After we were seated, we were essentially forgotten about. There was no way to catch the attention of our server without getting up and walking out of the room and around to the bar area. When appetizer were brought to the table, there were no small plates. When we told the server we needed a minute to decide on a bottle of wine, he didn't come back for 12 minutes. The entire dinner was like this. Now the good: The was indeed spectacular. Wonderful oysters, grilled seafood and bbq. Definitely some of the best in Boston.I would recommend this to a friend.