East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
1271 Cambridge St
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://eastcoastgrill.net/
- Phone: 6174916568x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
Saturday Lunch: 11:00am 2:30 pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jason Heard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef/Owner Jason Heard, Catering Chef Nate Creed and Catering Director Becky Rogers feel that they have truly mastered the art of catering. Together they will customize a menu that fits your style, tastes and budget. From pig roasts, birthdays, company events, Bat and Bar Mitzvahs and weddings, there is no end to what they can and will do for you.
- Private Party Facilities: The Lava Lounge can be yours for the night! Offering private parties for you and up to 28 of your closest friends. We will customize your menu to best suit your group- even offer to create "Your Own Personal Hell." Give us a call and we'll take care of the details to make your night perfect!
- Private Party Contact: James Lozano 6174916568x
A word from East Coast Grill & Raw Bar
East Coast Grill brings high level big, bold flavors with live fire grilled seafood and Low & Slow BBQ in a fun casual atmosphere. Highlighted by its open kitchen, full raw bar and funky décor; it remains a corner stone of the Greater Boston after 25 years!! The theory here is that the closer one gets to the equator, the more flavor there is in the food. Expect the chile-fueled heat of the Caribbean, the grill-savvy of Latin American cuisine, and the dynamism of Asia when you order from the regionally inspired menu. Our Brunch Bloody Mary bar has garnered quite the following of hard-core Bloody Mary enthusiasts. Drop by for Brunch (Sundays), Lunch (Saturdays), Dinner 7 days a week or for our late-nite snacks, raw bar and cocktails (Thursday through Saturday starting October 17th).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East Coast Grill & Raw Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (31)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (19)special occasion (10)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Great Food-Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I took my sweetheart out to dinner here on Fri night 10/17/14. We were very happy with the delicious food and great service. The main dining room is super noisy. That is how it is set up...the kitchen is open to the dining room and the cooks are yelling out orders etc. It is funky and fun, but if you need a calmer quieter place for dinner you might ask for the back room which I think is quieter.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014We really liked the food. The place is very casual and that is not a bad thing, but the prices are very high - as high as three star finer dining establishments in the area and downtown Boston. For that price ($32 entrees), we expect better service. I ordered ribs, and the other person in our party ordered crab legs. Both were good dishes, but we continually waited on drinks, on more BBQ Sauce and butter, napkins...We had to flag down multiple waiters and still sometimes had to ask a second waiter for the same thing. Considering the price of the food, this is unacceptable. I would probably not return for dinner here. Perhaps for brunch, but not for dinner.Special Features:
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Have been to Hell Night many times, have taken my employees for events, and my wife and I have been patrons for close to 20 years of ECG. Last year my wife and I had reservations for Hell Night in September. It was awful, especially the food. Heard the original chef was back, so I made a res hoping it would be great as in years past. Unfortunately, the hostess at the front desk was so unaccommodating we left before we ate. We asked twice to be moved and were told no although there were multiple open tables for two. Everything was worked out to "a science" no changes to table could be made - really? My wife told the hostess it was too loud and dark where we were (under a speaker) her response - too bad - so we left - never to return.
- Hot. Loud. Fun.beezkneezDined on 9/28/2014Took my adult kids to brunch. Bloody Mary Bar is kinda fun - but cries out for bacon. Food is good. Not typical brunch fare - more lunch. I ordered plain scrambled eggs which were listed as a side dish (two) and think they served me six. Grits were good. Plantains excellent. Baked bananas with pulled pork were fun. Server was great. Noise level makes conversation difficult - so that might deter me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to its reputationNoJoDined on 9/27/2014We went there expecting really good food but what we got was a rather limited menu and just ok food. The service was very good though as were the cocktails.Special Features:
- Hopping place with good food & loudAndrewDined on 9/27/2014Service was excellent; accomodating for gluten-free needs, food was good (though limited Saturday lunch menu); room is loud!Special Features:
- mmmmmDined on 9/20/2014Very fast service, the hot wings are definitely the spiciest I have ever tried. The seafood was indescribably good.Special Features:
- Wouldn't recommendLdt17Dined on 9/20/2014Incredibly loud restaurant which made it very difficult to have a conversation at the table. Service rushed the food, which was ordinary at best. BBQ sauce was on everything, which was disappointing.
- LakeForestfoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Oysters were yummy but the rest of the meal was less than outstanding.
- Still great.dontgetoutmuchDined on 9/12/2014We had had a great meal here 20 years ago and weren't sure if time had embellished our memories. We were delighted to find that was not the case. I had what I think are the best ribs in the area, and your staff are the friendliest around. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014its been awhile since we have eaten at East Coast Grill and we are sad to say we were very disappointed this time. The service is great and very friendly. The food did not live up to expectations, especially for the price.
- Hot hot hotEnchantingVIPDined on 9/8/2014I' m a frequenter of the east coast grill. The food never disappoints. This time around my date and I went to wing night. Decent prices and a really good variety.Special Features:
- okay place to grab a quick bitehelloboston345Dined on 9/6/2014This is a place that has an okay fish and bbq selection with a wonderful waitstaff who is very accomidating but it isnt my first choiceSpecial Features:
- Decent food, Not for special eventPickymeDined on 8/31/2014We were seated right away dispute being early for reservation. Hostess was very friendly and accommodating. Waiter friendly, we got water right away. Soda was flat, they should have changed the co2. We told the waiter and he brought another flat soda. He didn't charge for it though. Buffalo shrimp were quite good. Pickled veg complementary very good. Mahi mahi was decent Steak was okay. Overall the place is noisy, decide interesting though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timeItalianDined on 8/30/2014Here for my Birthday. Staff were great, food was very creative and done very well. Good options from BBQ to fish and you can't beat the plaintains! Be sure to enjoy the homemade pickles served when you sit down.Special Features:
- BBQ Back on topKMPbostonDined on 8/29/2014It looks like the emphasis on BBQ is back at the East Coast Grill... new energy in the brisket and pulled pork, baked beans even smokier and deeper in flavor. Always a favorite, happy to see the tradition continue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was just okezamDined on 8/29/2014Food was ok. Price/cost relation not worth it. Very noisy. Messy placeSpecial Features:
- oldie still the best over the top!MickVIPDined on 8/28/2014Wowza! What a great time, fantastic food and drink and superb wait staff ton of folks bringing items to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Comfort Food in A Long TimePhilDined on 8/23/2014Prior to theater in Harvard Sq decided to have early dinner. Parking on street & promptly seated at 5:30 when restaurant opened. Not being big drinkers had a glass of sangria and wife an iced tea. Special appetizer-cajun shrimp was excellent w/just right amount of spice. Brisket & ribs perfectly cooked & arrived w/warm cornbread, cole slaw & fantastic baked beans (definitely not out of the can). Portions good size. Waiters/waiteresses very attentive offering refills on iced tea & asking us if there was anything we needed. Plenty of time to eat w/o being rushed & still made it to the play with time to spare. Desserts looked very interesting. Will have to wait for another time. Price for what u got was reasonable (sangria maybe a bit high).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Been coming here for many years taking friends visiting from out of town. Big date night place for my wifeand I. Reservation for 6 people was ready when we arrived. Everyone in our party was happy even me as a vegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent fish and vegetarianannieDined on 8/22/2014Fish dishes are excellent as are raw oysters. barbaque meat dishes are huge and rich..vegetarian entree excellent and plentiful, but one veg (kale?) was tough and inedible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but pricey food, odd ambianceLoudandPriceybutdeliciousDined on 8/20/2014It says something that this place's ambiance made us question the quality of our forthcoming food. The volume of the music was too high for a mid-week dinner spot, and the song selection was bizarre. It careened from my mall punk middle school days (NoFX) to horrible corporate country to lame contemporary pop in the space of three songs. That said, when the food arrived, we let bygones be bygones and the music played second fiddle (har har). Our meals were very good - not quite worth the price, but close. I would recommend this place with the caveat that patrons come prepared to pay five dollars beyond the quality of their entrees and brace themselves for a cornucopia of unfortunate noise. A solid B, on the verge of a B+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldtime gemcakiDined on 8/20/2014Always love the mango/avocado gazpacho so chunky and full of flavor. Shrimp tacos wee delicious with a touch of heat in the sauce. Appreciate good veggie sides like the braised greens. Key lime pie was a great ending. Happy to lean they now take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No seafoodAPGMJRDined on 8/3/2014I was told it was a good place for seafood in the area. The day I went for dinner they only had 2 options for dinner. Their menu has very very very few choices of food and drinks
- DisappointedXimenitaDined on 7/31/2014I have been an ECG fan for over 10 years. It has been our go to place for their oysters, fun food, drinks and atmosphere. We ordered some of their appetizers to share. Their corn, shrimp and tuna taco were great. The lamb was extremely fatty and rough to eat. We told the waitress we would not be eating it, that we would still pay for it but that we wanted something else. She rolled her eyes, proceeded to bring it to the open kitchen, pointed at our table and made a big scene about it. Another staff member came back and told us that lamb is always fatty. Overall the food was good but the waitstaff ruined a nice evening. I'll chuck it up to inexperience and personal bad attitude but I was embarrassed to have brought my friends here.Special Features:
- Fun timeAlMichele84VIPDined on 7/19/2014Our group of 6 enjoyed our dinner here. Drinks were, good, food was great and the service excellent. We like the varied menu, BBQ and seafood were hits. Always enjoy dining here.Special Features:
- Very coolRockerDined on 7/18/2014Food was outstanding. Loved the place and neighborhood hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 7/14/2014Been there many times, but this time was disappointing. Food only fair and the place seemed old. It was Monday night and only about 1/2 full - may reflect having gone down hill.
- Last meal at East Coast GrillkikiVIPDined on 7/12/2014For nearly 20 years and have had good meals at ECG. This past weekend was my last time though. I ordered the BBQ platter: ribs, pulled pork, Texas brisket, baked beans, cornbread. The plate came with everything heaped in an unappealing pile. The ribs had little meat and it was tough; clearly not the slow-cooked, fall-off-the-bone kind you'd expect from a quality restaurant. The BBQ sauce on the ribs tasted like cheap store brand sauce. The pulled pork was tasteless and dry. But the real shocker was the brisket - a 4-inch long slab of pure fat. It was completely inedible. When I complained to the waiter, he casually said Sorry and offered to bring over an additional rib. I declined. Service was also poor. I won't be returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014great dinner at great location - a hidden gem - will definitely recommend and return!Special Features:
- Good food, good service, good funneighborhoodfoodieDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed the dining experience very much. The occasion was my nephew's 50th birthday and the ECG was his choice. Food was delicious, especially his grilled bluefish, and service was great. We arrived 20minutes late for our reservation only to be told that they give away tables after 15 minutes. I was taken aback by this and when I indicated that I was unaware of this policy, was told that it is not written anywhere. I think it should be. At any rate, the host and hostess both got to work and found us a table very quickly, so all was not lost. All in all, it was a fun evening. I think it's hard not to have a good time there.Special Features:
- Lots of PotentialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Our seating was fine but right near their grill. If you haven't been they have a charcoal grill, and while it is cool, it had embers sparking out and hitting my wife. I think a charcoal grill is a gimmick, as it doesn't add anything from a flavor perspective. Use gas and keep it safer and controllable. The food was inspired but not well executed. My shrimp and grits was a cool idea, but a syrupy sweet glaze/marinade masked any interesting flavors. My wife got the BBQ trio, and it was below average. They seem to smoke the BBQ ahead of time, which is reasonable, but they use their HOT charcoal grill to heat it up, which just creates tough BBQ. Also they slop thick sauce on the meat, which is pointless as far as I'm concerned with good meat.
- The following 147 reviews are from the East Coast Grill & Raw Bar reviews archive.
- Always Delicious!FoodExtraordinaireDined on 6/20/2014We've been going to East Coast Grill for years & we've never been disappointed. Their food is always fresh & delicious. Don't ever hesitate to order the raw oysters. They are amazing. Love the wide variety of beer & drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyeaterVIPDined on 6/18/2014Excellent service-wonderful food! Creative, delicious !! The only down side is the noise level--if you don't mind a really noisy atmosphere--you must go!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyeaterDined on 6/15/2014I definitely would return to try more dishes. Service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be so goodkassiaDined on 6/14/2014now the ribs & brisket are tough, and the prices too high for the quality. the pickles are still good, and the duck salad was quite nice. even the oyster selection was scanty (one excellent, one fair - though they seemed to have been handled safely, which is the most important thing about oysters).
- Best Jerk Chicken EverMemaDined on 6/11/2014My son and I had dinner at East Coast Grill the other night and both ordered the jerk chicken. We strongly agreed that it was the best we've ever tasted. I also love their margaritas and I am a total margarita snob, fresh lime juice only and not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, But PriceyStephDined on 6/11/2014Loved the menu list (BBQ and seafood? Don't mind if I do!) and the drink menu was great, but with all the casual ambience, it became pretty easy to forget the hefty price tag that comes with that plate. Great location and great experience, but won't be back for a little while.Special Features:
- East Coast shinesjdevlinDined on 6/5/2014My out of town friends from the west wanted really good seafood and East Coast Grill did not disappoint. We arrived and the service was outstanding. We ordered oysters to start. One order of the Cape Cod oysters came with mignonette sauce and a spicy cocktail sauce, while the other was served with a soy and wasabi sauce that was superb. Just the right amount of wasabi. We also ordered the tuna tacos that were barely seared on the outside and served with cucumber and greens in a slightly spicy dressing. The mahimahi lived up to the freshness claim. Served with Mexican spices,the black beans and rice side along with plantains made a fabulous dinner. The scallops were perfectly seared and seasoned and the crab legs got rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXECELLENTactionstar21Dined on 6/4/2014Wow, what a great place. Love the hot sauce and had the best shrimp meal ever.Special Features: