East by Southwest
160 E. College Dr.
Durango, CO 81301Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
East by Southwest
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eastbysouthwest.com/
- Phone: 9702475533
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Sergio A. Verduzco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Hydi Verduzco 9702475533
A word from East by Southwest
A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
East by Southwest - Best Restaurants in Durango ›
East by Southwest reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)special occasion (41)neighborhood gem (41)hot spot (37)good for groups (30)great for lunch (27)kid-friendly (24)vibrant bar scene (15)romantic (8)late-night find (6)notable wine list (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I recommend this restaurant to anybody who loves amazing sushi. This restaurant has friendly service and unique and creative dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerSleepysPersonDined on 9/11/2014We had a great time munching on appetizers. The squash blossoms were extraordinary! Then came the spiced lamb lettuce wraps. Another gem. I had the triple spiced tune sashimi and sampled the house special sashimi. Hard to choose between the two. If only my husband ate sushi I'd get to go there more often.Special Features:
- Best Asian Food in DurangorkymtngrammaDined on 9/1/2014We ordered a variety of dishes and all were served in a timely fashion and were attractively presented and very tasty. The service was great! A standout dish that night for us was the stuffed squash blossoms...different and delicious.Special Features:
- Family visitingSusanneDined on 8/30/2014As always the food is fantastic with excellent service. It is definitely a special occasion place to eat as it is expensive but that being said the food it exceptional. We always make reservations as it is always very busy it can be very hard to have a conversation our waitress had to go to each of us to hear our order. But it was a Friday night on Labor Day so please take that into account.Special Features:
- Sushi in the RockiesCharlesDined on 8/29/2014Pretty good, all things considered. Wouldn't make it on the Coast, but for a Small town in the Rockies it was a great alternative to the steakhouses
- luvtotravelluvtoeatDined on 8/21/2014Great menu selection, something for everyone! We have vegetarian and gluten intolerant members in our family and there is something for everyone on the menu. Great cocktails and fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedTryanythingonce1121Dined on 8/15/2014East by Southwest has the best sushi around. The atmosphere and people are great and it always makes for an enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Not just for sushi loversOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014It gets busy here on the weekends. We are not sushi lovers per se; but the menu is very diverse and is great for both sushi lovers and those that want their food cooked. Bun Bo noodles were very good as were the California roll and Surf and Turf roll (both of the cooked variety). It gets loud when the room is full, so it's not for a romantic dinner, but the food and service are very good.Special Features:
- Outstanding SushibreakfastloverVIPDined on 8/6/2014The Hamachi Love role was one of the best sushi roles I have ever eaten. The menu was filled with interesting and creative roles and different types of sushi/sashimi platters. I regret that I could only pick one. And the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014We had 8 hungry cyclists doing our 8th annual two day ride from Telluride and back, we've always had our traditional dinner at East by Southwest, and we've never been disappointed by the food or service. Always delicious and always friendly. Thank you. ErikSpecial Features:
- Unique fusion cuisineGuidoVIPDined on 8/5/2014The extensive menu features unique flavor combinations - such as a salmon roll with bacon, among other things. It was fun to be adventurous. Some of the small plates are actually quite filling - the portions were generous on our visit. This restaurant would be a star in a city like San Francisco - yet it is available to locals and travelers in Durango. Service was very attentive. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Pricey but delishRoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 8/3/2014I loved the fish selection here--there were several sushi and sashimi items that you normally don't find at American sushi restaurants, particularly in the Colorado mountains! I'm a stickler for uni (sea urchin) and ramen (the real stuff, not the 25 cent block kind). Here, the uni was available with the quail egg and the urchin was impeccable. The ramen broth was rich without being too greasy and the noodles, while a teeny bit overcooked, were flavorful. The roll selection is creative and I like that they didn't put cream cheese in everything (cream cheese in sushi is one of my pet peeves). This place is $$$$ however, especially if you order the out of the ordinary stuff, so be warned! Totally will go back.Special Features:
- Best sushi in the 4 cornersNicholeC1980Dined on 8/2/2014My husband and I love this place, the decor, the service, and especially the food. Great sushi and such a pretty restaurant.Special Features:
- Our favotite date spotWise11Dined on 8/1/2014My wife and I eat here on special date night. The mix of East by Southwest is wonderful. Great atmosphere and food.WiseSpecial Features:
- Best Japanese Food!LocalTouristVIPDined on 7/31/2014I went here with a friend who had recently came back from Japan. He said that the sushi was better than he had in Japan, and it was excellent in Japan! I had the vegan carrot soup - excellent - the brussel sprout chips - wonderful - and the rice paper roll - also excellent. We shared the spicy edamame - great sauce. We also had fabulous service from Jen, and an attentive Manager - Mitch. Overall is was a perfect 10 and the best Japanese restaurant I've ever been to, and I've been to really great ones in San Francisco. Just YUM!Special Features:
- great experiencepeaches43creamDined on 7/29/2014Can't eat spicy foods, but had a wonderful salmon entree, edamame appetizer, and noodles--very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTopNotchDined on 7/28/2014We came to E by SW while visiting Durango due to a friends recommendation as were not disappointed. Everything was excellent from the service to the dining choices. We will come back again when our travels take us through Durango again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBummerVIPDined on 7/28/2014We have been coming to East by Southwest for about 6 years now and have noticed the food sizing has dramatically changed. I also had the tempura lobster roll that had hardly any lobster in it when in the past I never had a problem tasting the lobster. This visit I only tasted mango. Also they served fewer pieces than before.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceDragonflyChicDined on 7/25/2014I love dining here and the service has always been great. Took my husband for his first sushi experienced and we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in Colorado? Sure.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014Staff here was great - very attentive and friendly. The vibe is frenetic and funky, which is probably what they were going for. There was a pretty wide range of diners, and they were all loud. Gyoza, salads and teriyaki were tasty, but the sashimi was cut a little thick. However, you can't beat fresh sushi that doesn't make you ill when you are 775 miles from the ocean.Special Features:
- abf49erDined on 7/19/2014The food was really tasty and the portions were out of sight, ended up taking a lot home and enjoying it the next day. Our server was great, very knowledgeable and attentive to our needs. Had the duck and it was so good and much more than I had received at other locations, plus it melted in my mouth.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Great food and service.highly recommend . First time in Durango and very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomehikrkasDined on 7/17/2014Incredible sushi ... and great overall. The meal was a highlight of our two-week hiking/climbing in beautiful Colorado.Special Features:
- Excellent surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014Did not come to Durango expecting to eat at an Asian fusion/sushi restaurant. But the food was most excellent. We loved the tapas style dishes and everything was very tasty and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 7/7/2014The finest Sushi in Colorado and a rare find in a smaller city like Durango. Amazing and varied menu.Special Features:
- Excellent food.kathrynDined on 7/6/2014Recommend for a great evening. Food and atmosphere perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Excellent food. Service a little slow due to large crowd and what appeared to be a little short on staff for the 4th of July week.Special Features:
- Ninguno Mejor!rockinJVIPDined on 6/23/2014Absolutely the best in the Four Corners ... scratch that, the best between the coasts!Special Features:
- Great Sushi in DurangoWayneDined on 6/9/2014Excellent experience: superb sushi rolls, service, and the Brussels sprout chips and unique cheesecake were terrific.Special Features:
- Hot Location in Durango for FusionwhsearfusDined on 5/29/2014I came here for my high school graduation dinner and had an amazing time with my family. The number of people in my party changed multiple times over the course of the day and the restaurant was gracious in accommodating my changes. Service was prompt and orders were taken accurately, but at this restaurant be aware that food comes out as it's ready so don't expect for everyone to receive their orders at the same time or for your "appetizer" to show up before your "main course". Food quality here is incredible. This restaurant would not be out of place in the food capitals of the world like New York or San Francisco. I'd recommend getting the High Roller, a California roll wrapped in seared salmon and topped with macadamia and sweet soy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best aroundHotrod13Dined on 5/23/2014Simply the best sushi within 200 miles. No complaints at all you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 224 reviews are from the East by Southwest reviews archive.
- Mothers Day RequestSushiSavvyDined on 5/11/2014Our family goes here for special occasions including Mothers Day. We particularly love the "philly" and "crunchy asparagus" rolls. Their specials for rolls are delightful treats!Special Features:
- Good food, but poor service.mattDined on 5/9/2014Server was slow, brought the wrong order, forgot our appetizer, and generally acted hurried and rushed. Good food though.
- None Better!rockinJVIPDined on 5/5/2014Unsurpassed Japanese fare and service. The sushi doesn't get any fresher ... you'd swear Durango is right at the ocean!Special Features:
- Sushi and friendsblasterDined on 4/12/2014Love celebrating here with friends as the food comes out continually rather than all at once so you just keep grazing and celebrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Lunch DateStanManDined on 4/12/2014My wife and I celebrated our 18th anniversary here for lunch. Sushi was best we've ever had, service was good, restaurant is very nicely decorated, would highly recommend East by Southwest anytime you are in Durango. And they even have a very price friendly lunch menu that we were surprised by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in Durango??tandpDined on 4/4/2014A big fat yes on that one. Have the Hand Grenades and an East by SW roll. Terrific in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second to noneiluvsushiDined on 4/4/2014I'm not sure if this is sentimental but it seems to me there is none other. I have never had better. My favorite restaurant of all timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were so excited to tryFoodLuversDined on 3/8/2014We were so excited to try this place! Has been recommended by everyone. Service was horrible with waiter blatantly ignoring us and taking forever to take our order and bring drinks and such. The food was even worse. Out of the 9 rolls ordered - only one was edible. And the noodle dish that our guest ordered - it came as a soup with pork meat the size of pork chops floating in it and horrible meatballs and half hard boiled eggs - all served with a ridiculous plastic spoon - how are you supposed to eat it - and the flavor was nasty. All in all - very very very disappointed. For sure not worth the time or the money
- Fave in TownRosineDined on 3/8/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in town!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.