East by NorthEast
51 Edgemere Street
Montauk, NY 11954Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
East by NorthEast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eastbynortheast.com/
- Phone: 6316682872
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Latin / Spanish, Asian
- Executive Chef: John Weston
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: With breathtaking panoramic views of Fort Pond Bay, East By Northeast is a sought after location for private parties, weddings, rehearsal dinners, birthdays, bar-mitzvahs, and corporate meetings on the East End of Long Island. We can comfortably seat 180-200 guests, and our venue is available only on Saturday and Sundays. You won't find a more perfect place for your event on Long Island. We will coordinate every detail from customized menus and table settings to music, flowers, photography and special requests. EVENTS MANAGER Regina Michielli 914.478.670
- Entertainment: Weekend Entertainment.
A word from East by NorthEast
Overlooking scenic Fort Pond, East by Northeast is among the most beautiful restaurants on the east end. Serving the freshest Montauk seafood and shellfish, locally grown produce, serious steaks and Long Island and new world wines. The menu is a culinary journey from the Northeast to the Far East. Panoramic sunsets over Fort Pond, a stone wine room, and a comfortable and extremely popular bar and lounge make East by Northeast the perfect choice for a group celebration or an intimate dinner for two. Live music every weekend.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
East by NorthEast reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (69)great for outdoor dining (40)romantic (30)special occasion (26)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (23)kid-friendly (14)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (10)neighborhood gem (7)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great menu mixDiningLineVIPDined on 9/13/2014Deep fried avocado? Who knew it could be so damn good. Made me want to go home and plan my own deconstructed gaucamole using the deep fried avocado idea...the citrus dipping sauce that accompanied the dish, while good, was not the hit of acid that I expected. A wedge of lime would have been welcomed...had we not consumed them so quickly!!! Appreciated the menu mix of both grilled and sushi/sashimi items since I was dining with an averse fan of sushi...we were both happy and sated at meals end! Very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- I was so delightedEllieGDined on 9/8/2014The menu has been increasingly less Asian influenced, but I had a pork dish a few nights ago that I will always remember. Wonderful. And the sunsets cannot br matched.Special Features:
- Dont BotheralitroDined on 8/30/2014There are so many other places in Montauk to go with better food than East by NorthEast. Our dinners were really NOT good. And, I am pretty easy to please. The oysters were delicious, but the salmon dish I got was very bad. The first one I got was so smothered in some sauce that I sent it back . They brought it out with the sauce on the side and unfortunately it was no better. My husband got a tuna dish that was not very good either. Go somewhere else when you're out there.Special Features:
- NiceDickDined on 8/29/2014It was quiet, nice indoor and outdoor. food was good alsoSpecial Features:
- chocoDined on 8/27/2014Our first time out on Montauk and we weren't too sure about restaurants... We were very happy with the ambiance as well as the food..we had the duck tacos which were delicious. We also had the new England clam chowder which was certainly sufficient and then some sushi. A very nice experience in the town.. It appears like this is one of the nicer restaurants in town!Special Features:
- Excellent experience!Cheryl81Dined on 8/22/2014East by Northeast was an amazing place! Food and service was perfect! The view was outstanding and ambiance was perfect. We had an 8pm reservation and arrived a half hour early so we sat at the bar. They sat us around 8:10, which was fine. Overall, if you take a trip to Montauk, this restaurant needs to be on your list!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful views!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014You really can't beat the views and location of this restaurant! We loved the pork dumplings and the burger had amazing flavor! I agree with the other reviewer, the lobster sliders were so flavorful but over powered by the bread. We sat outside and it was just lovely. The servers were charming. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the viewNurse4kidsDined on 8/20/2014Even though the view is beautiful the food is very overpriced and small in portion. Even after the hostess spilled my martini all over me and the table there was no effort to even compensate for the mess and inconvenience. We went to gossmans take out because we were still hungry. Not worth the effort.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 8/18/2014We go to East by North East every time we are in Montauk for their duck tacos. They are outstanding! But the ribs were the worst I've ever had.Special Features:
- scolded by the maitre d'OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014this was a first. as we sat down inside, we asked if we could sit outside and were given a table. the woman seating us then informed us that we would not be permitted to resit back in the restaurant. not, we'll try to accommodate. just, no, you can't move back in. and, ironically, the six top behind complained that there was a spider outside and were re-seated inside. you can't make this stuff up. wait service was bad not because of the effort but because the restaurant has too few servers. they obviously had the manager out there trying to help. food was average at best. one got the impression the dumplings were bought from food service and then cooked. no originality in the menu.Special Features:
- Nice place average/pricy foodCR24Dined on 8/16/2014Nice scenery and friendly staff. Food was expensive and very average. We also felt very rushed throughout the whole meal. Overall I would not recommend this place as it's not worth the money.Special Features:
- OutstandingSpecialDined on 8/13/2014One of the Best in Montauk. Love going there. Food and service outstanding. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great food and views, poor serviceSteveRJRDined on 8/13/2014Can't get much of a better view for outdoor dining in Montauk! Gorgeous overlooking the pond. Menu is simple and food is tasty. Service however is another story. Basically went ignored all night. No hello, how are you? How is your meal? Was asked for my wine selection and food order with "do you know what you want?" In a vacation town warm service and friendliness is key - get it together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Great sunset view and wonderful food.The service was outstanding! The hot rock was a great choice for the kids.Special Features:
- Small PlatesNovemberDined on 8/11/2014If you are looking for small plates to eat and good drinks to drink, then this is the spot. The food is good and if you're looking to sample many things and not over eat then it's a good match. The service is ok, they bring out dishes as they are prepared and overall the service seems very chaotic and disorganized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JHM1JHM1VIPDined on 8/11/2014Our dinner at ENE was fabulous. The specialty drinks were excellent, the food was superb. Maple glazed pork loin, cocoanut shrimp tasted wonderful. The service was amazing, timely and friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday in the summer dinnerJimboDined on 8/10/2014we mad a spontaneous decision to go out to dinner at 6;30 on sunday evening. We were given a table with a fantastic view of Fort Pond, great food and even better service. We visit ENE a few times every summer but this past Sunday was really very well done in all respects.Special Features:
- lost over the yearsEatsout8lotDined on 8/9/2014Disappointing to find a treasured place has contracted in it's food quality and diversity in the few years I have been away from it. The setting remains its big draw, looking into the sunset over the pond in Montauk, and added outdoor seating is a big plus for an unimpeded seeing of that view, but what have they done to the food?? The menu is shorter and less varied. The appetizers seem to be the most interesting otems on the menu and the mains are just "the usual suspects". Everyone is very nice and welcoming but I didn't come here to watch the same sunset I could see in East Hampton, I came for the food, and it disappoints.Special Features:
- Great placebeachgal24Dined on 8/7/2014We vacation in Montauk every year & we come here every time & we are never disappointed. The atmosphere is great whether you sit indoors or outdoors & the view is gorgeous especially if you catch the sun set. The food was delicious. We especially loved the coconut shrimp appetizer & the steak entree. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to this place?Luv2EatDined on 8/5/2014Every year, we go to ENE while in Montauk. This year, my fish was so dry. And something terrible happened to the waitstaff. They started out attentive, but once we were served our main course, we never saw the waitress again. Servers cleaned half our table - after 15 minutes I made eye contact with the manager, who made sure the table was cleaned. He offered to buy us a drink, but we were ready to leave. I gave them my credit card and waited 20 minutes for them to bring the card back. Flagged down the manager again - he was all apologies, said they were so busy (they were NOT). Finally got the check and left a $5 tip. Never in my life have I left a $5 tip. I really hope they get back on track.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousSummerGirlDined on 8/5/2014Great food and great views! East by Northeast does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedrosamamaDined on 8/2/2014We had heard all good things about East by NorthEast so we were excited to book a reservation. The menu was very limited. Our waitress kept forgetting to bring things we ordered and then knocked over a glass of wine that spilled all over our table. She had obviously never been instructed as to what to do to rectify a bad situation. No sign of a manager anywhere. My daughter's salmon dish was drowning in a cloyingly sweet sauce, my chicken was dry and over-cooked and my husband's 2 lb lobster was delivered to table cold. Not the best experienceSpecial Features:
- InconsistentRob22VIPDined on 7/28/2014Drop dead water/sunset views but Russian roulette with both food and service. Staff can't handle switch from early diners looking at the sunset to the next round of reservations at 7:30-8pm. We were promptly seated at 7:30 but waited 10 minutes for the harried waitress, who then wanted to take the order before we even were asked for cocktails. We had to all but beg for the bottle of wine to arrive, which eventually was brought but not until after the food was served. Wonderful Asian inspired pork ribs. Pedestrian, wilted spinach salad. Lobster sliders overwhelmed by the brioche buns. Over cooked/over salted strived bass. The sake inspired cocktail was terrific. Maybe this is a place to stick with the sushi--or just go to Harvest instead.Special Features:
- RelaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014When in Montauk in the summer-dining out without having to deal with crowds is almost impossible. East by Northeast is great and you can actually get a reservation. Good place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views and great food!VikmanDined on 7/27/2014We loved our dinner at ENE. Fun server, amazing sunset, and awesome food and drinks.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is on Fort Pond, great setting, but unfortunately, the interior is shabby verging on depressing. The food was ok, but nothing special, and it tires to be both sushi and asian with local seafood thrown in. I had sushi, which was only fair; my husband had the steak which he enjoyed. IT just has no central identity, and given the dreary surroundings, would not revisit.
- Left hungryLocalfoodiesDined on 7/24/2014We gave ENE one more try and left hungry. Food preparation is great however after spending $180 on drinks, two appetizers, two entree's we went to eat at the local pizzeria. No joke not even a bowl of rice? Salad? piece of bread as a filler? Fooled me one too many times we will NOT be back.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood to match the viewUnhappyDined on 7/23/2014We had a group of 7 ranging from 12 to 82 and everyone enjoyed the entire experience. Extremely fresh creatively prepared. The best meal we have had in Montauk in yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent-Not A 1st Choice in MontaukLisaReviewDined on 7/22/2014The restaurant has a great atmosphere and awesome view of sunset but the limited menu will not have me running back. It's got an asian twist on most of the dishes & advertises sushi but only has 3 rolls available each night. Five of us dined and we started with shrimp cocktail, ribs and sushi. Shrimp cocktail was very fresh & the ribs excellent. For entress, we had the pork, the half chicken and beef which you cook yourself on a stone. Chicken was excellent. Cooking on the stone was fun but for $30, the two that had it were looking to eat 1/2 hour later! If they had a better menu, the restaurant would be much better with that awesome location and decor. Great location just to get a drink and sit outside to watch the sunset as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!MYS1Dined on 7/20/2014Great food and the setting is spectacular!! We went at sunset and had drinks first. We then ordered a variety of appetizers that where large enough for the 4 of us to share followed by sushi and rolls. Every dish was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014My girlfriend and I finally had a night off so we drove out east and chose East by Northeast to eat dinner after reading a few good reviews. WORST MISTAKE. Our waiter came over and very awkwardly didn't introduce himself or welcome us to the restaurant. We waited a very long time to order dinner after our appetizers. When it came to paying the bill, we had to get up, go to the hostess stand and ask her to get our waiter so we could pay the bill. The food was also not cooked exactly how we ordered it. The view was beautiful but for the amount of money spent, it was NOT worth it.Special Features:
- LauraDined on 7/18/2014The food was delicious. When it comes to fish I am very picky. Their sushi was the best I have ever had. I highly recommend this restaurant. After dinner we listened to a great band, Hopefully Forgiven, in the bar. All in all it was a great evening.Special Features:
- Fabulous in every respectMike4NYDined on 7/18/2014A gem among several excellent local restaurants! Unbeatable view, great menu (rib app will feed two) and some unusual cocktails, including a chili infused margarita. Friendly knowledgeable staff too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi At SunsetGolem212VIPDined on 7/16/2014Asian fusion cuisine. Locally caught seafood. Stellar sunsets. That's East by Northeast in a nutshell. Whether you crave sushi or cooked entrees, you'll be well served in the elegant surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MtkerVIPDined on 7/16/2014The new chef's menu is OK, but it's decidedly inferior to the level of his or her predecessor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reviews were mixed... ButwirelesskenDined on 7/13/2014We checked it out. Food waitstaff were excellent. Freshly prepared, cooked to perfection . If there's nothing vegetarian-dont't complAin about it-don't eat there. An excellent all around experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Anniversary Dinner!BonJoDined on 7/11/2014Ate outside on a beautiful night. Amazing view over Fort Pond as sun set. Service was very friendly and attentive; Food quality was excellent, but fish portions were smaller than expected)Special Features:
- Great food and sunsetmylesDined on 7/10/2014Lovely restaurant in Montauk...sunsets are spectacular...food is basically Asian fusion with Montauk seafood prepared in unique ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold and too eccentric.HedytufoDined on 7/10/2014The place was FREEZING! Food was so so, appetizers we had duck tacos, coconut shrimp which were excellent. I ordered the steak and it was tough and chewy. Desert I had a coffee vietnamese sundae and it was gross. I scooped out the coffee ice cream and ate that. Overall - the view was beautiful and the service was good. The appetizers were delicious - my father had fish for dinner and he said his was frozen - and as I said my steak was tough and chewy. Luckily we had had good company so it was a good laugh once we got the bill. Expensive for the quality of meat and fish we got. Won't be coming back anytime soon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We have been coming here since they opened and have never had anything but great experiences...highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.