East - Blockade Runner Beach Resort
275 Waynick Boulevard
Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
East - Blockade Runner Beach Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://eastoceanfrontdining.com/
- Phone: 9102562251
- Hours of Operation:
Varies by Season
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Mark Lawson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We cater to groups of all sizes with five private banquet rooms as well as the outdoor dinner deck.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Wagner 9102562251
- Entertainment: Live piano player every Saturday night.
- Special Events: Rendezvous Package
Treat yourself to a two night waterfront stay for two either Friday and Saturday, or Saturday and Sunday. The Package Includes:
A bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting in your room upon arrival.
Your choice of a five course dinner for two on Saturday night.
Famous Blockade Runner breakfast for two each morning of your stay.
- Cross Street: Waynick Blvd
- Public Transit: Private shuttle available to patrons visiting from the Wrightsville Beach local area. Please call the resort directly to arrange pick-up and drop off.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Ample parking surrounding the Blockade Runner. Valet parking available to all east patrons. Private Hotel parking lot is generally reserved for registered hotel guests only.
A word from East - Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Whether you’re craving a romantic ocean front dinner for two or a quick lunch with your family, East Oceanfront Dining is just what you’re looking for. Enjoy our famous complimentary breakfast each morning of your stay. Savor your lunch in the warm glow of the sun on our oceanfront dining deck. Delight your taste buds with local seafood specials while watching the moonrise over the tides. With award-winning cuisine and the breath taking view of the beach and our ocean front gardens, East Oceanfrong Dining is sure to please at any time and for any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
East - Blockade Runner Beach Resort - Best Restaurants in Wrightsville Beach ›
East - Blockade Runner Beach Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (21)scenic view (14)romantic (13)special occasion (10)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great Find in a Beautiful SettingDavidDined on 8/20/2014From the exterior the Blockade Runner looks a little dated. Once you enter the property you learn that is certainly not the case. This is a top-notch restaurant with an excellent menu, beautiful location and outstanding service. We had the crab cakes and flounder and both were superb. The outdoor restaurant is located in a quiet section of the property and the garden surrounding it reminds one of Hawaii. Absolutely outstanding restaurant and reasonably proceed. We recommend it unreservedly.Special Features:
- Not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014I had the crab cakes (more like one biters in stead of cakes) and my wife had the grouper. Both dishes almost without flavor. Service was mediocre at best and the meal was rushed. Also the wine list is pathetic. Lots of great places to dine in Wrightsville Beach and the Wilmington area but this is definitely NOT one of them although it is priced like it was one of the better options. Overall not impressed.
- A lovely setting . . .TrishthedishDined on 8/11/2014East's oceanfront terrace is our favorite summertime "go to" spot to celebrate special occasions. The setting is so very beautiful . . . gorgeous green lawns, colorful flower gardens, as well as the sound of the ocean makes you feel transported to the Hamptons! Aaron, the bartender, can concoct interesting and unique cocktails, both with and without alcohol! Michael, our server gave us attentive, friendly, but sophisticated service. The food was wonderful . . . especially the crab cakes . . . don't be shy . . . order the "duo" . .. They are petite, but exquisite. This is an undiscovered local gem that Blockade Runner hotel guests have known all along!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2014Food was excellent, service was a little slow to begin with maybe because it was Sunday night and they were short staffed. May need some updating as to dining room but otherwise food was excellent.Special Features:
- Nice Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014We enjoyed dining at East our first night staying at the Blockade Runner. Great Crab Grantine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightgtspackDined on 7/26/2014The best night ever for an anniversary. Soooooooooooo beautiful.Special Features:
- Thursday Night SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014We had a crew of 6 & headed into Blockade Runner for the Thursday night $25 special = excellent and interesting choices varying from fresh fish in local spices to Asian (Korean BBQ Oso Bocco) to beef (delicious tenderloin). Interesting preparation and attentive service. Fresh & all courses "popped". A great value. Recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodBeachcomber1013Dined on 7/18/2014The location was beautiful, the service was beyond excellent and the food was great, but the portions were too small. Other than that, I would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bars, Decent Food, Nice ViewronandmaryDined on 7/11/2014We loved the service and both bars - the pool bar and the restaurant bar. -We've traveled a LOT, both have high-end food service history, and picky palates, and agree that the mojito that pool bartender Aaron made was the best we've ever ever found. Ever. Service was excellent; the food was good, don't know that I would go out of my way just for that, but ambiance and service balanced out . Gorgeous ocean front view!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view, not so privatesocialtalkerDined on 7/5/2014We loved this restaurant - cool breeze, beautiful food, spectacular view...but be ready for loud kids and families coming off the beach to walk right through your beautiful meal!!! I wish the waiters would have asked the families with kids who were yelling to please move inside and not disturb their patrons...otherwise the pork belly tacos are divine and the tasting menu is the way to go.Special Features:
- canyon1Dined on 6/29/2014This place was expensive and out of 5 dinners we were disappointed with everyones. the lobster soup was from a can. Horrible, save your money and go somewhere else.Special Features:
- LookingforgoodfoodLookingforgoodfoodDined on 6/24/2014Nice outdoor dining with pretty landscaping and lawn. Close enough to the ocean to hear the waves. Beware that it is across from the outdoor bar and pool and that the kids run and play on the lawn adjacent to the outdoor dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is this Wrightsville Beach?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2014Food was superb and the outdoor dining under a large tent in a beautiful garden by the ocean was an experience described by our friend, who was dining with us, as "like being in the Hamptons". Everything about the evening was wonderful, and even the price was reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- update websitebabyrn61Dined on 5/30/2014I was disappointed that the crab stuffed lobster was no longer on the menu as indicated on the online menu. I had really looked forward to that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for outdoors; decent foodFoodieDined on 5/25/2014Found this place online. Pictures looked nicer. Went there mainly for outside, oceanview dining but unfortunately can't even see the beach or ocean from the dining area. Had we known that, we probably would've chosen another place waterfront. The food was good, but a little overpriced. Upscale prices for a wanna-be fine dining establishment inside an older looking hotel. Server was nice though and attentive and they do have several gluten-free options. Lots of outdoor activities going on so it was pretty noisy; however, it was Memorial Day weekend so maybe it's not like that all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 76 reviews are from the East - Blockade Runner Beach Resort reviews archive.
- Very goodparksjj41Dined on 5/24/2014Our server Maranda was fantastic and the food was very good. Prix Fixe is a nice deal and a ton of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed.gozlingDined on 4/14/2014Our waiter was Brandon and he was really attentive and gave us our space while being friendly. For the amount of money we paid for the food the ambiance doesn't fit with it. We were at the hotel for our anniversary/birthdays and decided to dress nice to have a romantic evening together. You can be sitting next to someone covered in sand wearing their beach attire during dinner. Was just odd. The outside seating area is beautiful and though we had to come inside because of rain, we did enjoy the sounds of the ocean. When I made my reservations I put in there that I would like the vegan option. The vegan option I wanted wasn't available but the typical mushroom one was. Boring :( The raw carrot cake was delicious.Special Features:
- Eating EastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2014The food was outstanding. Several in our party ordered the crab cakes and thought they were the best they had ever eaten. The portions were just right. All the of the food was presented beautifully with artful arrangements. The breads were hot and fresh tasting. The salads were crisp in the middle of Winter on a Sunday a night. Pricing was reasonable. Really hard to beat. I am definitely going back.Special Features:
- Celebrating a bdaybdaydiner14Dined on 3/1/2014By the appearance of the hotel lobby I was expecting the actual restaurant to have a nicer ambiance. It was very loud from the intoxicated individuals at the bar and the piano player that was mentioned online was not present. My appetizer was over-cooked and the dinner bread was very hard. If my fiance did not convince me to let the meal slide I definitely would have requested the food to be sent back. My actual entree was tasty and well seasoned. My fiances steak was not cooked the way he asked, however, it was still tender and well seasoned. Overall it was not at all what I was hoping for but the service was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have a great deal onthiftythursdayDined on 11/14/2013They have a great deal on Thursday's. The food was wonderful! If you want to try the place out without spending to much money I would recommend the 4 course meals on just to get you started.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderfulSuzanneDined on 10/21/2013We chose this restaurant to try for our 35th anniversary and enjoyed it immensely. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealGlassHalfFullVIPDined on 9/16/2013We enjoyed a lovely evening at East with wonderful food, good service, and a relaxed but refined atmosphere. Would recommend and will be returning.Special Features:
- Good food, okay serviceBwintsDined on 9/13/2013The food here was delicious; definitely pricey, but the food was prepared to match. The service, however, was not. The waitress seemed very inexperienced, could not name the four-five beers they had on tap, didn't tell us some of the menu options were unavailable until after we tried to order them, and couldn't describe several of the menu items. My husband and I ate here for our fifth anniversary, so we had dressed up a bit. Most of the other people eating there were dressed in workout attire, jeans, t-shirts, swimwear, and the like. Normally this is completely fine, but the dinner was expensive and we felt very out of place because we were dressed up. Overall the food and atmosphere are great, just don't expect a fancy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better?reviewieDined on 9/12/2013My husband, son and I thoroughly enjoyed our one day/night at Blockade. The Dinner was delicious, attractive and nicely served. Sitting outside was a pleasure. So with such setting and opportunities offered for so many we wouldn't change a thing...Special Features:
- Good food; chaotic serviceMichielVIPDined on 9/7/2013Food was good. We liked the option of small plates. Lay out and design of restaurant was not well thought through. Path from kitchen to terras winds through the too narrowly spaced tables, distrupting customers. Servers trying their best but well managed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good but missing somethinggjatDined on 9/1/2013The menu sounds great but each of the dishes we ordered needed something a little more to make it meld better. The beet salad app could have been excellent but the goat cheese cake was a little dry, it needed more beets and it needed some type of sauce to bring it all together, maybe something vinegar fruit based. Same with the two fish dishes we had for entrees. Good bare bones but needed something more. It could all be fantastic fit for foodies with a little work! The wine list was really poor. And they should offer a cocktail and or martini mene too. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oceanfront dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2013The main advantage is outdoor oceanfront dining on Wrightsville Beach. Make sure your reservation is for outdoor. Otherwise, the restaurant was mediocre and below average compared to similar restaurants in Wilmington in this price range.Special Features:
- Wrightsville Beach Gem!MLB88Dined on 8/20/2013We were in Wrightsville for a quick getaway and stayed at the Blockade Runner. Usually I prefer to not eat at the hotel's restaurant but in this case, East had come highly recommended to us. We were excited to eat in the outdoor dining area, near the beach and on the resort's well-manicured grounds. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm prevented us from eating outside but the inside is modern and light with lots of windows so it was lovely. The weather cleared up enough for us to see the moonrise from our table. The food was fresh and delicious - I had trout and shrimp served with risotto and asparagus. My husband had mahi. We both had lobster bisque to start. The wine list, though not big, is varied. Desserts looked great but we were stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This could be much better....rodandterriVIPDined on 7/20/2013The food here was very good but other aspects of this place made visit here not so good. Wife, daughter stopped at the bar. Their tab was $44. Paid by CC and left the tip in cash($10). A few days later noticed on daughters account, which is tied to mine, that bill was $10 more than the receipt. Found out that the bartender apparently took it upon herself to add $10 extra to the bill. Called the manager and she seemed very responsive and after a couple of days the bill was fixed correctly. Not sure what happened to bartender but I'd be willing to bet she's still there. Anyway, our meal was very good. Service however; was terrible. She did NOT want to be there and it showed. Other than that, it was all good and I was charged correctly.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2013Wonderful outdoor setting, attentive service, varied menu, prices a bit higher than expected, a trade off for the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 for $10connieDined on 7/8/2013The ten for $10 salad was excellent and I had never seen that before. We added the additional tuna or chicken, etc. and it was even better. We were celebrating my sister's birthday and could not stop talking about how good everything was, even our waitress Kelly was so friendly. Loved it and want to stay for a weekend at the Blockade Runner.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!PeptoeDined on 6/30/2013Nothing could have made our dinner better. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantBarbVIPDined on 6/30/2013This was our first time here. We were seated right away. The service was excellent. The food was very good. I ordered the lobster bisque soup and a Caesar salad. Both were delicious. My husband ordered a steak. He said it was one of the best he's ever had. We both had coffee after our meals. Was excellent. I would definitely recommend Blockade Runner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best outdoor dining in Wrightsvillebrielle1Dined on 6/28/2013Wow, finally an outdoor restaurant in Wrightsville/Wilmington that has great seafood that is not fried. Would highly recommend this relaxing find. The food was fresh.Special Features:
- This was a gorgeous settingsSunnyDined on 6/22/2013This was a gorgeous settings surrounded by beautiful gardens and sounds of the ocean. The food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had the free breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013we had the free breakfast bar every day during our 3 day stay- it had a good variety . our dinner one night was delicious- crabcakes and flounder and shrimp were fresh. we ordered room sevice for lunch twice- club sandwich and dessert were wonderful. we would definetly do this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for allergiesjustalittlesomething47Dined on 6/12/2013My sister and I have food allergies and were very nervous about finding a local restaurant that would ensure we were safe to eat. We had an early reservation so there were not a lot of people and the staff was very helpful and catered to what we needed. The food was delicious and safe to eat! The outdoor seating was so beautiful and we had nice service. Be prepared to stay for awhile though because our food was very slow being brought out however it just gave us more time to enjoy the scenery and sound of the waves. We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I appreciated the sleek décorgourmandDined on 6/10/2013I appreciated the sleek décor but would recommend either a table cloth on the glass tables or a table top that is opaque and noise absorbing for two reasons 1. when the flatware is placed on the glass it makes noise, when the plates are placed on the glass it makes noise, when the wine bottle is placed on the glass it makes noise, multiply this by the number o customers and servers you get a lot of noise 2. looking through the glass table top at everybody's lap, knees, legs and feet is not appetizing; my eyes should be focused on the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful outdoor diningMAH63Dined on 6/8/2013Attractive indoor dining room, but sit outside if weaver permits. Petite options for entrees will be enough food for just about anyone. Very friendly service. A real gem in a serene setting in the midst of Wrightsville Beach.Special Features:
- Go for the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2013While the service was excellent the food was a bit bland. I ordered crab cakes and they are by far the best in town! The vegetables had no seasoning and were over cooked, the risotto has ok flavor but the texture is not creamy. The flounder was cooked well but again, lacked seasoning. The largest detractor was noise level, only one other table in the dining room and all we could hear was their conversation. Need something in the dining room to absorb noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.