DUO Restaurant & Lounge
72 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
DUO Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.duonewyork.com/
- Phone: 2126867272
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: DUO features an elaborate private dining area illuminated by a stunning crystal chandelier centerpiece and beautiful fireplace for an intimate dining experience. The dining area is sectioned off by sliding doors and showcases detailed hand-painted walls that accentuate DUO's luxurious look and feel.
- Private Party Contact: Lorraine Belkin 8886418564
- Cross Street: 27th St & 28th St
- Public Transit: Subway: -Take the 6 local train to 28th street and Park Ave and walk one block to Madison Ave. -Take the N local or R part time train to Broadway and 28th street and walk 2 blocks to Madison Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking lots are located: -29th St (between Madison & 5th Ave) -28th St (between Broadway & 6th ave) -28th St (between 5th ave & Broadway)
A word from DUO Restaurant & Lounge
DUO Restaurant & Lounge is the brainchild of two adventurous and entrepreneurial sisters, who know a thing or two about working in the restaurant industry. Stemming from a family of restaurateurs, sisters Lorraine and Sabina Belkin embark on their first ever self-owned and operated restaurant. Everything from the hand placed Swarovski crystals on the walls to the never before seen in New York illuminated menus featuring their contemporary American cuisine, is a result of the endless creativity that the inseparable Belkin sisters possess. Located in a neighborhood that has recently seen an influx of notable restaurants and deemed by many as "NoMad," DUO is slated for an early June opening and will feature a variety of show stopping contemporary American dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
DUO Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
- This was my 2nd dining experiencemalloryDined on 10/29/2013This was my 2nd dining experience at DUO and experienced wonderfully prepared food and its presentation. Our waiter was extremely knowledgable, friendly, and helpful with wine selection. Bottom line - an unbelievable dining experience.Special Features:
- beautiful placeshaniDined on 10/22/2013This is a gorgeous upscale restaurant. Very romantic, dim lights, soft music, etc. Not too many other patrons, which was good because we were able to enjoy an uninterrupted intimate dinner. The soup was exceptional, my entree was mediocre, and dessert was delicious. So 2/3 courses were really good. Nothing was bad though. I would definitely eat here again. Only on a special occasion though because this restaurant is pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like surprise ingredientsBYRTVIPDined on 10/19/2013A plastic glove was baked into the bread that they brought to the table, enough said.
- Complete disappointment.MTLfoodieDined on 10/19/2013We booked with OT. Early to be sure we had a table, when we walked in there was only two other tables… on a weekend… at 7pm… not a good sign.There were two managers and a hostess on the floor… one manager was on his cell phone all night and the other look confused. The cabernet I selected was not in stock, so they recommended a Pinot Noir (aaahhh not even close, take a class). The food came cold, we sent some back, the same plate came back cold…, I ask for the manage and I point out the positives in our starter’s and explain that my wifes food and all the sides are awful. I’ve also finished eating. “cellphone-boy” doesn’t seem to understand the problem. I was charged the food I didn’t eat and know better net time I come into NYC.Special Features:
- GREATKentDined on 10/19/2013This was my first time to celebrate my mother's birthday. The staff was very polite and attentive and surprised her with dessert with candle and sparkler. The chairs were very comfortable and roomy and the food was out of this world. I'll be making plans to go again as well as tell my colleagues and co-workers. Duo is a must-try spot!Special Features:
- It's hip, it's trendy, it'sCraigDined on 10/17/2013It's hip, it's trendy, it's pretty rad food! The duo of ahi tuna app with the Avocado mousse and the Scallops entree is top notch stuff. Service was awesome from start to finish! Music is solid too- Overall, way up there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love trying new restaurantsRachelDined on 10/15/2013I love trying new restaurants and eating out. Duo has become a new favorite of mine. I know I will return over and over again. The food is impeccable, the service is so eager to please. This restaurant definitely holds its own among the city's best restaurants. Try the truffle pizza - amazing! And the scallops - wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodIbasicVIPDined on 10/11/2013I ha the best Bourbon marinated braised beef shortribs in my life. Very good food and the food presentation was even more amazing. Small portions but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much potentialCitygirlreturnsDined on 10/5/2013Shame about this restaurant, has a spectacular dining room, the food is not bad, but the front of house service let's everything fall down. Soup served cold, and funnily we were served our first course before we could even finish our cocktails or order our wine. The restaurant was half empty so no idea why we were being rushed. After asking for a pause before our main course arrived, it did as requested, however we had no silverware to eat it with. It took too requests to receive some and by then our food was going cold. Great wine list though.
- Avg American food in posh settingkellyVIPDined on 10/2/2013Beautiful interiors and comfy booths but cuisine was average; short ribs was not lean and plates were microwaved. Ambience made up for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findNancyVIPDined on 9/25/2013Pre fixe selection reasonable and the food was magnificent. Crispy calamari salad light and delicious We will return. Loved the dining room - quiet high ceilings decor etcSpecial Features:
- First impressionDariaDined on 9/21/2013...was good, though the service could be better. And there was a course menu for 35$ nobody told us about.. The interior is sophisticated, loved the design of the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterSaratogaVIPDined on 9/19/2013There must have been a staff shortage as it took 15 minutes to even get water or a waitperson's attention. They were out of what we wanted to order - lobster, and it took three tries to get the wine we wanted as they were out of several bottles. On a good note, the black truffle pizza was the best I've ever had.
- Almost there!FoodieDined on 9/16/2013This restaurant tries but doesn't quite get reach the mark. It has a cool chic design, but the tables are too close together. The food attempts to be creative with the combination of ingredients, but again is unsuccessful in flavours. As well the chef is unable to execute cooking salmon well, not a particularly difficult fish to cook. Lastly the wait staff are competent but don't take their advice on how far a theatre is from the restaurant and that it is walkable in 10 minutes - NOT! Given the prices of Duo and the plethora of good restaurants in NYC I would definitely suggest residents and visitors alike pass on Duo.
- Fused-ItaliandeliusfanVIPDined on 9/14/2013Some very interesting flavors on this menu, including imaginative treatments of lobster and crab. The short ribs came over a bed of couscous that was a lovely texture change from polenta, and the crispy calamari salad had a nod to Asian flavors with the yuzu vinaigrette.Special Features:
- Great decor, good foodNanaVIPDined on 9/14/2013I love going to Duo for brunch. The atmosphere is always chill and the decor is gorgeous. The staff aren't as welcoming as some of the other establishments I frequent but they are knowledgeable and good at their job. The pancake tower could be better for brunch but the cookies and cream french toast is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find, thanks to living socialFineDiner7Dined on 9/9/2013I enjoyed this restaurant, the ambiance and food was great. I didn't feel rushed, the waiter was very knowlegeable and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy pretentious.SKCYCLESDined on 9/7/2013Food was ok. Service was lousy especially the management. Food portions were very small...the appetizer was bigger than the main course. When we complained to the manager his comment was "this isn't a diner". There are PLENTY great restaurants in NYC. This isn't one of them. They need a MAJOR attitude adjustment on how to relate to their customers.
- No Thank you- AVOIDManagirlDined on 8/17/2013brunch with my mother and my daughter.The hostess was very nice, but that's where my compliments on the staff end. The place was pretty much empty.2 or 3 other tables besides us, the waiter was unenchanting and Unenchanted and the bus boy was pretty much the same. We weren't really attended to, and couldn't find them most of the time. The food was really good, actually. There was also a manager type person who glared at us and stood behind our table a lot and was creepy and I really just wanted to leave the whole time we were there.No one offered us another drink, or coffee or anything.The place was also very hot inside...seemed like no A/C on.And the high chair my 8 month old was in seemed unsafe and falling apart... I will not return
- Restaurant week at DuoBklynGirlDined on 8/16/2013I was nervous about going to dinner here after I checked out the reviews on yelp but im glad I kept my reservation and dined here. Food was good and the ambiance was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW Factor!!!!JgeneseDined on 8/14/2013Gorgeous ambiance! Delicious food! Amazing décor! As soon as I walked into Duo, I knew I had found a hidden gem. From the polite and attentive staff, to the "wow-factor" touches, no attention to detail was spared. My reservation was at 7pm on a Wednesday night, and there was a good crowd in attendance. I dined from the Restaurant Week menu and was pleased with the options and my choices for dinner. I don't know why there are any negative reviews for this restaurant, as I had an amazing time, and definitely plan to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- plushfoodieDined on 8/14/2013I had a nice time. Service, food and decorum was GREAT! I would come back for date nite with hubby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lighting with no ambianceGoer864Dined on 8/13/2013The food was decent but not for the price. Portions are larger though the tastes never really came together. We had the salmon and the duck (both over cooked) - both dishes had the right components but in woefully wrong proportions. Tasted like Amateur Gourmet. All of the menus light up- very jarring going from a dim warm incandescent to a harsh blue LED light. Every time you opened the menu your eyes had to readjust. Wait staff prompt in filling water glasses and bringing food but not so in giving menus, taking orders, or asking about dessert. I think it'd be good for group outings where a full bar and plentiful seating was more important than the food.Special Features:
- Romantic Dinners are Perfect Here!LoveLunchVIPDined on 8/13/2013Gorgeous and luxurious - if decor is most important to you. Don't miss this magnificently designed and restaurant. Old-world modern. Women will love it. Has stunning round bar, too.Special Features:
- Not sure where the people are?SamUKSaysVIPDined on 8/9/2013I've been to Duo a few times now and each time it's been really great. The food is good, the service is good, the cocktails are good, and there's a great bar area up front where you can always get a seat. The only problem is that everytime I've been it's been really quiet. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it does make you wonder what other people know that I don't!. @SamUKsaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2013The meal was excellent, especially the deserts. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's so simple, but I LOVEDFeliciaDined on 8/7/2013It's so simple, but I LOVED the light up menus! My steak was awesome and the tiramisu was yum!Special Features:
- A Beautiful PlaceMrDNYCDined on 8/6/2013We had a great time, the food was great, the service was perfect and friendly! Will return again and recommend ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommededSkinwarriorVIPDined on 8/3/2013Food was meh. Extremely overpriced. Not a bad concept but poorly executed. Service was fine, in part because the restaurant was only 25% full on a Saturday night
- Would DUO again!DanniB13Dined on 8/2/2013Duo was great! Went here for restaurant week summer '13 and I loved the options on both the restaurant week menu as well as the full menu. The food was great, portion sizes were on point and the service and ambience were as well.Special Features:
- Eaten here before and themartiniVIPDined on 8/1/2013Eaten here before and the food is always good with great presentation, but noise level, pulsating music, made it difficult to have a conversation and person I was dining with did not enjoy the enperienceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2013The decor was b eautiful. but the food was just adequate and not very inventive.Special Features:
- Creme de la cremeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2013One of my best experiences all around to date. Not a complaint to note. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GIRLS NIGHT OUTBOCAPHARMACYGRPDined on 7/27/2013I love this place my grilfriends and I had a great night out starting with dinner and drinks here.The food was tasty and the services was on point.We love and enjoyed everything about DUO Restuarant and LoungeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time here and while theSJR1VIPDined on 7/27/20132nd time here and while the waitress appeared flustered at times, service was still better than most places. To her credit, I'm comparing her to the guy that served us on a prior visit and he was spectacular. The Burrata with Heirloom Tomatoes and Bordeaux Braised Short Ribs & Pearls were done perfectly and presented nicely. I also ordered the Asparagus on the side and it is a generous portion. I had the "Raspberry" for dessert and it was not bad by any stretch, guess I'm just not a fan of a raspberry themed dessert with blueberries on top. The ambiance is really nice here with nice, large comfy seats to enjoy the meal (no crowding!). I've never seen so many people taking pictures and dressed to the nines than at this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good food andDsk0126Dined on 7/25/2013Great service, good food and nice selection of wine, worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink priceSmartPakerLissaDined on 7/25/2013If you sit at the bar during the happy hour , the price of the drink is $7, but if you sit at the dinning table, the price goes up to $14! Which doesn't make any sense , and all my friends feel like they try to kick out the people as soon as we finished eating . It was not even busy and there were a lot of seats left.Special Features:
- Restaurant is very chic andFkobVIPDined on 7/20/2013Restaurant is very chic and beautiful. Food was just good, wish it was amazing cause restaurant was so pretty.
- Nice quiet dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/15/2013We went on a Tuesday night and there was no one in there so it was very quiet. Purchased a Living social voucher and was pleases with the food and wine. Portions are pretty small but our food was very tasty.Special Features:
- Great dinnerFoodieDined on 7/13/2013I had a Living social deal here. I thought it was very quiet on a Saturday night but that was fine. The place looked great, the food was good, the service was good as well. The red velvet cake wasn't real red velvet but that's just being picky. Overall, great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.