1609 Polk Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://dunyasf.com/
- Phone: 415-400-5770
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday: 10:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Vegetarian, Greek
- Executive Chef: Coskun Abik
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are glad to cater off site events, from birthdays to weddings. Please call us for menu options and pricing.
A word from Dunya
Created by Chef Coskun Abik, Dunya restaurant has garnered local acclaim as a Casual Mediterranean dining experience, offering fare inspired by fresh, local, and seasonal ingredients. The décor captures the warmth and feel of Mediterranean hospitality, while a vast floor to ceiling array of local and imported wine bottles is illuminated by blown glass filament pendants; inviting guests to pull up a chair to the full service wine bar. The menu showcases seafood, game, vegetarian and vegan entrees; it features many of the most prominent Mediterranean dishes, as well as selections which have been modernized. Some of our diner favorites include Beyti, Stuffed Salmon Provencale, Lamb Burger, Lamb Chops, Whole Branzino and Stuffed Eggplant. At Dunya we are proud to bring you an appreciation for the bold and balanced flavors of the Mediterranean, and invite you to join us for your next dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dunya reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (12)great for brunch (5)romantic (5)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Never disappointsfoodieDined on 6/21/2014This is my fourth of fifth time at Dunya now and the food and service are always excellent. Reasonably priced and quality you can taste keeps me coming back over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ilovehummusDined on 6/19/2014Casual, good go-to. Love the mezze platter, although we ordered the red snapper (one of the specials for the night) which was overcooked and way to salty. I'd recommend sticking to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OldtravellerDined on 6/17/2014Great fun, great food and service. Very noisy but bearable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dunya has LambLuvFoodDined on 5/25/2014Great Mediterranean menu and always has great wines. I go because they have Lamb on the menu. Try the Lamb Burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenVIPDined on 5/24/2014This place has potential because the food is fresh and very good. But the service is gruff and the waitstaff a bit clueless.Special Features:
- Staff Overwhelmed4sustainabilityVIPDined on 5/20/2014Since my last visit, Dunya has become v. popular (and concomitantly noisy), but does not appear to have hired enough staff to cope. Ran out of baklava on a Tues. evening. Tasty, well-seasoned food but insufficient information provided for those of us who want to know more about the sources of the food we're eating.
- DunyaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014We found the food excellent with great presentation. Service was good. Tables were too close together and very small. Noise level was very high. Loved being able to book with Open Table and loved the information given including price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Dunya reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2014Again, excellent. Had the shrimp shishkebob and lamb burger; started with hummus. All terrific. Very good wine selection, even by the glass. A great little placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/18/2014We just had the appetizers and shared between the four of us. Lamb meatballs, shrimp (very good hot sauce) and calamari are all highly recommended. Wine list is very versatile (like the food) but inexpensive. Absolutely fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mediterranean FoodAmyPDined on 3/21/2014Great food and service! All delicious and the asparagus soup (on the day's menu) was exceptional. Friendly, upbeat place and sweet wait staff too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polk Street medSFInnycVIPDined on 3/19/2014Great wine list. Great mezze. Our lamb kebab, lamb burger and chicken kebabs were great. Actually, I ordered the Petaluma chicken and they brought me the chicken kebab. They comped me for the mistake. I'll be back for the Petaluma chicken...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day GemmemphisDined on 2/14/2014Dunya was chosen as our spot for dinner on Valentine's Day. We were visiting the city and used Open Table to make our choice. Everything we read about this place was true. It was a bit noisy, but that didn't bother us. We loved the energy of the place. We chose a late dinner and it worked out perfectly. The other thing that was great was that it was a relaxed atmosphere (we didn't have to get ddressy for dinner.) The casual atmosphere allowed us to transition from play to dinner. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014From the friendly waiters, to the delicious food--salmon Provençal with bechamel and a grilled lamb dish with tomatoes and yogurt sauce--everything about this restaurant is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night early dinnerLeeAnneDined on 1/4/2014This was my first visit here. Highly recommended by friends. Got right to our table without a wait. Food was delicious & fresh with a variety on the menu that was suitable for any taste. Luckily for me I'll eat anything. We had the sautéed calamari , the Greek salad and the Adana kebab. We shared all of it. Portion sizes are perfect for sharingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is small and whenOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/14/2013This place is small and when full can be very noisy. We were there the evening of Santacon....lots of "happy" and loud Santas on Polk and in the restaurants. Ambience might be improved on a more routine nigh and might even be romantic. Food and service were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Mediterranean, good priceScottAZDined on 11/20/2013This was a great choice for a business group of 7 people. We were able to get a reservation same day even though they don't have a lot of space. The wait staff was constantly filling water glasses and always nearby to bring pita bread or another serving of hummus. Would recommend the mezze platter to try most of the appetizers. I enjoyed the Beyti and would also recommend the Mixed Grill if you're really hungry. Great atmosphere and would absolutely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. nice staffLeahDined on 10/26/2013The restaurant was great. It is a small place with tables cramed in. So not a great place for a romantic dinner. But great place for a group of friends. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Dunya! Ambiance is veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2013LOVE Dunya! Ambiance is very cozy and inviting. Owner Coskun and his staff are very friendly and welcoming, makes us feel like family. The food is delicious! The mezze platter is definitely the way to go so you get a bit of everything. We also enjoyed the prawns and lamb meatballs. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well, the food was good...cs40Dined on 9/20/2013We went to Dunya last night, and the food was fantastic. We got the hummus as an appetizer (the hummus was great, but the pita bread could have stood to be a bit more well done), the lamb burger was awesome (especially if you save a bit of hummus to add as a topping), and the beyti was amazing. The service was pretty terrible, though. Although we were seated right away, it was very difficult to get the server's attention for just about anything. Added to that, she didn't appear to be fluent in English, so that caused another issue with communicating effectively. The food, however, did make up for it. It tasted great, and the pricing was very reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!KarenBVIPDined on 8/8/2013The calamari dish was out of this world. Everything we had was delish!
- Neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2013I just moved into the area and this place is a great wine bar/Mediterranean restaurant. Had a bottle of wine with a friend and tried the hummus, lamb kabobs, and chicken kabobs. The hummus wasn't anything too special but the kabobs were cooked great, seasoned well, and hit the spot. I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2013Great place to go for some casual mediterranean food, generous portions and friendly service. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food- mediocre servicedatenightDined on 6/8/2013The food was pretty good, but the servers made it seem like an inconvenience that we were there.
- Amazing San Francisco Turkish FoodJulieVIPDined on 5/10/2013My boyfriend (Turkish) and I have tried every Turkish restaurant in SF and agree this ranks in our top choices for food and price. Mezze platter was amazing, every single item made fresh and tasting outstanding. Kebabs, Lentil soup, and Kunife all highly recommended! Great mix of Turkish flavor and fun wine bar! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food at reasonable pricePeterSDined on 4/27/2013Better than most restaurants on Polk street but very reasonable prices. Always a fun dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I both had theJohnHVIPDined on 4/7/2013My wife and I both had the vegan pyramid. Delightful. The kids each had the Petaluma Chicken and they seemed to enjoy themselves. It was a great spot in the city. Street parking was not difficult (Sunday evening). I highly recommend reservations!Special Features:
- Delicious, one of the betterKellyTVIPDined on 3/16/2013Delicious, one of the better Mediterranean restaurants I have been to in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dunya is a great spot on FillmoreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Dunya is a great spot on Fillmore with reasonable prices, food, and wine list.Special Features:
- Dunya has potential. We wereluvfoodVIPDined on 2/7/2013Dunya has potential. We were really disappointed with the humus. Thought that is one dish that should have been right on and it wasn't. Wine list was impressive and the place has a very energitic vibe.Special Features:
- the food was GREAT! Dolma,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/6/2013the food was GREAT! Dolma, Falafel, Tzatiki all fabulous. Staff was very tolerant of half of the party being late. a real gem of a restaurant!
- The food was yummy as usual,SFFoodieVIPDined on 1/26/2013The food was yummy as usual, but this time the service was sub-par. Our waiter kept asking us if we were "still working on that," and he almost took my plate away while I'd put my fork down to sip my wine. There were two parties of four waiting to be seated, but all the four-tops were taken anyway; grabbing our table wouldn't have helped. He stopped by 3 or 4 times while we were trying to talk and enjoy our meal. As soon as we finished he brought us the check. We asked if we could have dessert. When the bill came again we had three different servers come and try to take the billfold away before we'd even had a chance to look at it. Briefly, we won't be going back.
- I was Very Impressed withMarkDined on 1/23/2013I was Very Impressed with Dunya. It is just one of the New Restaurants in San Francisco that offer Good Food at a Modest Budget. I would definitiely Recommend it to anyone in the area.Special Features:
- I have been wanting to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/19/2013I have been wanting to try Dunya for months now and I'm glad I found it. I took my parents out to eat there on a Saturday night and we were all pleased with our food and drink selection. We started with the Mezze Platter which was great! I had the lamb burger and my parents had the kabobs. My only piece of advice is that it does get loud and the bar area is close to the dining area. Not a quiet place for dinner on a weekend.Special Features: