Dunaway's Palazzo Ossigeno
351 South East Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Dunaway's Palazzo Ossigeno
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dunaways.com/
- Phone: 3176387663
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday : 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms available for parties of 2-170; A/V equipment & hook-ups available for presentation dinners. Many menu options available.
- Private Party Contact: Connie Thomas-McDonald 3176387663
- Special Events: Book your Holiday and Super Bowl Parties now!
A word from Dunaway's Palazzo Ossigeno
Dunaway's Palazzo Ossigeno is located downtown in the historic Indiana Oxygen Building. The original art deco décor creates an elegant backdrop for the sumptuous cuisine highlighted by hand-cut USDA prime steaks, fresh seafood & homemade desserts. Seasonal & regional items help to boost our Chef’s Specials right over the top! Our wine list boasts over 1300 wines & has been awarded the Wine Spectator’s ‘Best of Award of Excellence’. Our well trained staff is eager to lead you through a fabulous dining experience, accented by custom food & wine parings, if desired. If you’ve ever been afraid to venture into new wine territory, let us be your guide! When the weather is warm, try our rooftop dining. Our open-air roof offers fun & romance with a view of the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dunaway's Palazzo Ossigeno reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (17)special occasion (15)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (14)notable wine list (8)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (3)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- PoorFARfromsatisfiedDined on 8/28/2014Very dirty, dish soap in my water, cheap random candles with different scents burning every where, broken lightbulbs hanging on roof, over cooked food and really oily food, portion sizes between orders aren't the same, staff that didn't know what was going on, given a menu and told that 50% of it they were out of
- Devour DowtownIndyfoodieDined on 8/27/2014Tried Dunaways during Devour Downtown. Nice portions. The crab cake appetizer was very good. A nice house salad. My daughter and I both had the Angus tenderloin which was decent but slightly overcooked. My husband had the salmon and thought it was delicious. My son was happy with his penne ratatouille. All of us found the Creme brûlée to be outstanding! The dining room was very hot and VERY noisy. The service was very slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorrificIn2finewinesDined on 8/27/2014Because of the historical factor of the building it was probably 100 degrees inside the restaurant! It was hot outside which made the inside feel like an oven. The salmon was good not fantastic. The tenderloin was over done. I have been to this restaurant numerous times and this was my worst experience. I will not return.Special Features:
- Dining4pleasureDined on 8/23/2014Went for Devour Downtown. The food was marginal, portions were tiny. Not all items listed on the menu were delivered in the salad. Described as having all kinds of yummy extras in it, it was very basic -lettuce, tomato, cucumber. Server did not ask us how we wanted our beef tenderloin cooked, and it was delivered medium. I assumed it would be med. rare, as is the fine dining standard, isn't it? Cheesecake was rubbery. Very disappointed, not worth the money. Service was slow.Special Features:
- Wasnt Bad butDodeDined on 8/23/2014I didn't think the food was bad but the drink were way over price. $25 for two whiskey's and cokes, thats just insane. Top that with the fact that they had almost no whiskey at all was a joke. That was probably the biggest turn off, next the the over cooked cheese cake.
- Don't visit during Devour DowntowngolocalDined on 8/23/2014Poor to non existence service. Beer served with best use date of Sept 2013. No Pinot Grigio. Ran out of Malbec. Waiter spilled my water and I had to ask for replacement and received 30 minutes later. Valet brought our keys to our table because he was going home. Oh that's because we were the last ones in the restaurant even though we had 7:30 reservations. Luckily I was with good people or it could have been very ugly. And I learned the next day that I don't have to pay the automatic tip when its not earned. Good to know. As one of my guests said maybe the waiter will take the tip and buy a personality and service lessons. We and 8 friends were checking it out for a wedding rehearsal dinner. Dunaways will not get that business.
- Don't goKathyDined on 8/23/2014Service was mediocre. The food was vastly overdone and tasteless. Will never go back.
- Disappointed with experienceHopingformoreDined on 8/23/2014It has been quite awhile since I have dined at Dunaway's and it will be quite awhile until I dine there again. The overall experience was a disappointment. Service was slow and the quality of food was just so-so. Portions of food and wine seemed small. I walked away from having a four course meal hungry! I think I barely got three ounces of wine in my glass for $11.00. I thought the pour was my sample to see if I liked it! Lol! We waited several minutes between our first and second courses. Server seemed inattentive.Special Features:
- Sadly the reviews are rightloves2eatDined on 8/22/2014I went in with an open mind. They did have a strong wine list; however, we each only wanted a glass and the waiter was less than helpful in guiding us in that direction. We went for Devour Downtown and the food was fine, but nothing outstanding. If we were not paying the devour price I would definitely have been disappointed. They also ran out of desserts and we did not get even close to what was on the menu. We were lucky enough to sit on the roof top. I am glad I tried it but don't plan on returning.Special Features:
- beautifully time consuminghungry2goDined on 8/22/2014Our reservation was at eight o'clock. We got seated right away. Ordered our drinks promptly but did not receive them until much later. The selection was broad, but the quantity was small. They ran out of a few drinks of choice, which is frustrating. The food was lovely and delicious! But it took forever to get it. Once it was time for dessert, they had nothing.... They ran out. However, they did go out and retrieve more; it still some time. We had them box it up so we could go. By the time we paid the bill, it was ten thirty. So two and a half hours for dinner; it was unexpected. The food was great, but I do not have time to sit and wait that long for dinner.Special Features:
- Roof Top DiningRickRDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I went for date night. Very good meals, excellent local beers and Martinis. We were served from the Devour Downtown menu which is a special event in Indianapolis. We had appetizers, salad course, entree course, and desert. All were excellent. We dined on the roof of the building. This gave us nice scenery to look at during dinner. I would recommend this to anyone wanting something a little different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good...sandruleeDined on 8/22/2014The service was really bad. We waited more than 30 mins to have our order taken and everything else was really slow. The food was less than mediocre. We went for devour downtown and other than the crab cakes, me and my husband didn't like anything that came to our table. Smashed potatoes were too hard, the wine sauce wasn't reduced enough and still had an acidic taste that played with the way meat tasted, the cheesecake was too dense, the sugar top of the creme brulee was almost impossible to break through and the custard wasn't fully cooked. We were sitting by where the food came from and could see the waiters debating which table the tray of food going to, going outside and back inside multiple times. Not a good experience.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Great food but really high prices and smaller portions than I would have liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressedMaryADined on 8/20/2014Great service & fabulous food!! This was my first visit, but will definitely go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLuvretirementDined on 8/19/2014A group of seven dined on the rooftop overlooking city. That was the only good thing I can say about Dunaways. Service was terrible, food ok. I really don't know how this place stays open. Something was wrong with beers on tap so they only had four choices (all craft beers), didn't have unsweet ice tea, no diet cola products (wasn't working), serving sizes minimal. Waitress really couldn't answer any questions. Now I know why reservations were available there, but not at any of the other places we checked downtown. The indoor restaurant was like a ghost town!
- overpricedanglcoughDined on 8/18/2014the food was delicious but not enough of it. My husband and I joked that we needed to stop at Taco Bell on the way home because we were still hungry. The prices were ridiculous, especially for the tiny amount of food they serve you. The service was not good, specifically for such a "fancy" restaurant. I do not plan on returning to this restaurant, and would not recommend it to friends. Even though the food was great, that does not make up for the outrageous price, tiny quantity, and sub optimal service.Special Features:
- Sad experience!DinahDined on 8/18/2014Eight of us dined at Dunaways during the Devour Downtown. Our previous experiences were wonderful and enjoyed the rooftop view. However, this time, we were extremely disappointed. The front door and back door were locked when we first arrived and had to be let it. The restaurant smelled "musty" and we're advised they had been closed for two weeks. They definitely did not have enough staff to serve the patrons. We arrived at 6:00 and left at 9:45, most of the time spent "waiting". The staff was friendly enough but disappeared for long periods of time, probably trying to wait, serve and cook?! The food tasted very good but terribly small portions for diners. Left a note for owner to call on bill but have not had a response.Special Features:
- ConfusedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014I had made reservations for a sat night for a friends birthday. Imagine my surprise when we arrived to find the place dark and locked. I have no idea what is going on but had traveled an hour and found ourselves in Inpls on a sat night with no reservations. Luckily we were able to get in at St Elmo's where the food was fabulous
- Great food you'll have to wait forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014We had dinner at Dunaway's on Saturday, July 5. The food was excellent, but we had to wait almost 2 hours to be served our entrees. There were very few tables and very few staff working (due to holiday weekend?) but it seemed the kitchen had issues throughout the night. I hope our experience was an anomaly and/or Dunaway's figures out how to make the dining experience as good as the food and view, because this restaurant has such a unique heritage and location.Special Features:
- The poor reviews are accurate!LisaDined on 7/4/2014We wanted rooftop seating 4th of July for obvious reasons. It cost $115 per person that included 7 courses. The staff could not keep up with the packed rooftop and they kept dropping and banging things right by our table. Everything tasted great until the main course which was a filet, I believe. Both of our steaks were raw in the middle.....not rare but raw. It was almost time for the fireworks to start (we had been there 2 hours already). We were also not served the salad. We told the waiter but no response. In addition, they did not have 3 of the bottles of wine we ordered. THREE! We spent $60 on a bottle that arrived an hour after we were seated. Spent $370 total and it was NOT worth the view. WAY too many issues for that high price!Special Features:
- Too pricey for what you getBoWardDined on 7/3/2014Much as we love the idea of Dunaways (location, building, beauty), the reality is priced too high for its lack of amenities and menu choices. If I'm paying $40+ for my entree, I expect bread served when we are seated, at the least; and maybe a little table decor. Dunaways needs to look to "Meridian" for an idea of how it should be done. I rated "very good" for the service only because I didn't want to slam the hard-working bartender and hostess, who were apparently the only staff on duty. Those two poor kids were greeting, waiting, serving, busing, and for all I know, cooking!! In short, either lower the prices to reflect what you actually are offering, or raise your standards and ambience and choices to match those prices!Special Features:
- Worst serviceKellyDined on 7/3/2014I contacted the restaurant to make sure I had roof top reservations and the person who answered was rude and basically hung up on me. When we arrived for dinner we were told that only one person was working so everything was going to be slow. That person continued to complain about working and was incredibly rude. There were only 4 tables total between inside and out. The server was rude to my father in law by imitating his New York accent and then pretending to be Italian. The food was average and took 2 hours to receive. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is over priced for the quality or service and food that you receive.
- Not as good as the last visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Last night, the birthday of this reviewer's wife, was not as good a previous. The menu has been significantly abbreviated. There were three diners in this reviewer's party- one a "first-timer." Understand that Dunaway's is a high-end restaurant; it caters to special occasions and corporate customers wanting to make a statement. And yes, it is also a place to get (usually) a great steak. Previous visits also included the ability to view and EXTENSIVE wine list- not this time. Where did it go? So, in sum, this place (right at $200 for the three diners, including tip) seems to have lost something- something in the menu, something in the quantity and quality of food. Will we return? Good question-Special Features:
- Not worth itscottcDined on 6/19/2014We should have known there was a problem at this restaurant when it took 4 phone calls spread over a week before we got a call back. We didn't know at the time there is no need for a reservation- only one other party was in the restaurant on the night we were there and they left before ordering. We should have as well. For starters, it's over priced. As one example, a martini costs $14.63. When it came time to order the waiter let us know that of 5 entrees on the menu, 2 of them were not available. After dinner when we asked for a decaf coffee we learned that too was not available. For my wife and I the bill with a 15% tip, one glass of wine, 2 beers and no dessert came to $100
- Great time at Dunaway'sTomDDined on 6/7/2014I'm not sure if I've ever had a better meal. Service was great and the staff was phenomenal. I had the added privilege to having a drink with Jeff Dunaway (owner). Keep on rocking guys. I'll be back someday soon.Special Features:
- Great date spot...470m1cDined on 6/6/2014but not kid-friendly. Limited menu as well but what they do have are classics and very good.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/28/2014Celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, we wanted an upscale fine dining restaurant and did not find it at Dunaway's. While the food was good, not great for the price, I have encountered far better wait staff at franchise restaurants. Room temperature water in our water glasses, Chef not on site at 6:30pm, Menu items not recommended due to poor quality ingredients, over priced house liquor in very small sizes and we were never offered a dessert menu. We were seated near a couple with the gentleman was dressed in a t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip-flops and while seated at the table the flip-flops were removed for everyone to see his filthy bare feet. Totally unacceptable. We will never be returning to this eatery!!
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a beautiful property. Awesome rooftop view. Being upstairs does make the food take longer since it is brought up via elevator from the kitchen downstairs. Server was polite and accommodating as our food was taking forever on a very slow night. She got us a round of drinks for that. I ordered the dry aged ribeye medium rare. Any restaurant that has dry aged ribeye should be able to cook a steak to medium rare in their sleep...not here. It came out absolutely gray in the middle...not even a hint of pink. I just cant recommend this place.
- Food not terrificKae1016Dined on 5/24/2014Restaurant is beautiful. Food was mediocre and not worth the prices.Special Features:
- Romantic anniversary dinner!BrendaDined on 5/24/2014At a friend's suggestion, my husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Dunaway's. I made the reservation on-line and asked for a nice table for dinner. To my surprise, Dunaway's put us on the roof when we arrived. It was a great view of the city! The wait staff members were very friendly and our waitress very attentive throughout the dinner. We both ordered filet mignon and it was cooked perfectly. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrooksDined on 5/24/2014The bartender made a BIG mistake....My son ordered Bombay Saphire, and when he tasted it it did not taste right....He questioned the bartender, and the bartender said he ran out of Saphire so he gave him another gin, and waited to see aif my son would notice, and then laughed.....I have never had that happen in 71 years....If my son was not buying me dinner fo my birthday, I would have walked out.....The bartender should have said he was out and offered something else....I will never go back.....Special Features:
- The following 504 reviews are from the Dunaway's Palazzo Ossigeno reviews archive.
- Our wonderful date night!steakniferDined on 3/29/2014Dinner was a delight. Our waiter, Chad, was really great. He gave us a couple ideas for something to do after dinner too! I got two compliments on my dress while we were at dinner. Our whole experience at Dunaways was a very special treat. We do not get to go out as much as we would like since the birth of our son, but this night was a real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a disappointing experienceeatout4sureDined on 3/29/2014We have dined at Dunaway's in the past and been impressed. Recently we hosted a business dinner with Chinese guest and a representative of an Indiana Commission. We were sadly disappointed . The food was ok, but there was no bread available, one guest ordered iced tea. He was served a sweetened tea and told it was the only available. The tea was served in a glass with a Pepsi logo (strange for an upscale restaurant.) The hot water for another guest's tea serving was not hot enough. Maybe a personal opinion, but you don't mess with creme brulee. It should be what it is...a simple tasty dessert. We may try again. But we cannot now recommend Dunaway's for any special occasion.
- Stop after the gamebibillDined on 3/12/2014In attending the Men's Big 10 Basketball Tournament, we always visit Dunaway's for a delicious dinner. This year was no different, there were four in our group and we all greatly enjoyed our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SuprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014We read the reviews before making a reservation here and was questioning our decision going. However, by the end of our dinner, we were ready to make another reservation. We were sat beside the fireplace where there were other people in the room as well including a large group and it was still quiet and comfortable. The food was great! The portion sizes were a little large, but the quality was second to none. Cassie, our sever was friendly and helpful, she was always around when we needed her. In conclusion, the overall experience was above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Overall it was a great experience. We got seated right away got good service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dunaway's is delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Lemon drop martin was amazing, as was the wedge salad , focacia bread and ny strip. The only thing i would not recommend was the choc chip creme brule. It was lacking flavor.Special Features:
- Great place for quiet mealmkgolDined on 2/15/2014Great place for quiet meal but more expensive then expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed. AskedCelesteDined on 2/15/2014A bit disappointed. Asked about the fish of the day. Server had to go and ask. Sounded good, so I ordered it. After appetizers and salad, she returns and says they're out if the special. It was Saturday at 6:00. Ordered something else, which was OK but did not arrive with the described sides, but the server didn't seem to be aware. She said she was a bartender, but clearly had no idea how to properly serve a bottle of wine. Overall, a $200 dinner that was unimpressive.
- Service not greatMillieDined on 2/15/2014Food is good, but don't expect good service. We have gone back hoping for better service and have never received it, and the wine list is not up to date.Special Features: