3610 Rice Street
Lihue, HI 96766Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dukeskauai.com/
- Phone: 8082469599
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alexander Amorin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Duke's Kauai
Set on the sand of stunning Kalapaki Beach, Duke’s Kauai provides visitors and locals alike with an authentic Kauai experience complete with panoramic ocean views, island inspired cuisine including fresh fish, premium steaks and refreshing tropical cocktails. Here at the original Duke’s restaurant honoring the great Duke Kahanamoku, guests are surrounded by artwork highlighting Duke’s life as Hawaii’s most famous citizen and father of modern surfing as well as the genuine Aloha that is Duke’s legacy. Our Barefoot Bar offers a more casual menu serving both lunch and dinner. The Barefoot Bar does not accept reservations and is seated on a walk-in basis only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Duke's Kauai - Best Restaurants in Lihue ›
Duke's Kauai reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (108)great for outdoor dining (92)special occasion (62)romantic (51)good for groups (42)kid-friendly (36)hot spot (31)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (12)late-night find (9)notable wine list (7)Show More
- Great island fishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014A visiting friend wanted some good island fish...I asked around and several islanders said Duke's was the place to go. They were right. She loved her dinner. I hadn't been in years and was happy to see that they have improved the salad bar since my last visit. It was great watching the sunset over Kalapaki. The only weird thing was I noticed the floors were plywood?? (We ate outside/upstairs.) I hope they are in the middle of some type of floor improvement or something.Special Features:
- Middle of the roadabusseDined on 9/21/2014We found Dukes to be good. Not awesome and not bad. The food was good and the service was good. They have a salad bar that is included with most mains, so it is ok that the entrees don't come with veggies. For what you get, it may be a touch overpriced. But, we are in Hawaii, and things here are pretty spendy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View!ERubioDined on 9/20/2014We went to dinner upstairs one night and the Barefoot Bar downstairs the next afternoon. Dinner was nice and the service was very friendly. We went to the Barefoot Bar the next afternoon, on a Sunday, and enjoyed some great music with ono grinds! We will definitely go back the next time we staycation in Kauai!Special Features:
- local gemflipflopladyDined on 9/16/2014Duke's is that one place your always want to take your visitors to for a true Hawaiian scene Plus best Salad Bar on the Island. We eat there often and have never had a bad meal or bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a ClassicRICKADined on 9/14/2014We always go to Dukes at least once when in Kauai. The Ahi is excellent and local fish are fresh and well-prepared. The salad bar is a treat, I especially enjoy the Caesar Salad with Anchovies. Both waiters we had on the two times we went for dinner on this trip were excellent. This is the original Duke's Canoe Club, the one is Waikiki at the Outrigger was the second.Special Features:
- Over rated!KauaiLoverDined on 9/14/2014Very dissapointed with Duke's. We were a party of 5, they placed us at a table sticking out into the main isle. Our table literally shook every time someone walked by. The waitress was very unfriendly, but efficient. The food wasn't worth the money. The restarurant was very warm. Only the tables at the front of the restarurant have a view. Which, of course, don't accommodate more than 4 people.Special Features:
- excellenttexansDined on 9/11/2014Must do in kauai. Food and service excellent. We had the fresh catch of the day. Great way to end your trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerfirsttimedinersDined on 9/9/2014On the Marriot property and on the water front, we dined at night so no view for us. Service was great and the fish was delicious altho I've never paid 31.95 for a piece of fish before. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and when the waitress found that out we were given a hula pie with a candle gratis, and what a fantastic desert it was. We've only been to Kauai this once and Dukes was a nice special occasion restaurant, but very busy so reserve two or three days in advance.Special Features:
- Gorgeous viewsgogirl1213VIPDined on 9/9/2014The view here and exceptionally friendly service are worth the visit, but the food was nothing out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Salad BarSpacewickDined on 9/8/2014We liked our experience enough to visit three times during our stay. The salad bar was great , very fresh & well stocked. The prime rib was excellent . Wraps were also very good for lunch.Special Features:
- visit for birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014We visited for my hubands birthday while staying on the island and we really enjoyed the food, service, and the awesome view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion ResturantKaylinDined on 9/5/2014The Opha was great with the Duke seasoning ( butter garlic). Salad Bar is very nice with made to order Caesar SaladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous in so many waysHappyOnVacationDined on 9/4/2014We were there for two birthdays in a group of two couples. The food was beyond fabulous! The salad bar was so yummy, loved everything but really loved the potato salad (mustardless). The coconut shrimp appetizer was scrumptious. Everyone's fresh fish choice was excellent! My daughter still craves the seared ahi........We travel to Kauai as often as we can but usually annually. We will return, because we will have to try everything on the menu of course. Aloha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great salad barfoodie101Dined on 9/3/2014The view was excellent and the salad bar was very good. My wife had the pesto shrimp, scallops and fish which had way too much oil. I had the special fish which was very good. Since we were staying at the Marriotts next door, we had the complimentary Hula dessert which was excellent.Special Features:
- delicious fish, great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/1/2014We had delicious fish, great view and fantastic atmosphere at Duke's.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableLoveSeafoodDined on 9/1/2014This was a great place to go for a drink and to listen to the group that plays during happy hour. We also returned for dinner and it to was great. The views from both the bar and the restaurant were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum yumheartfoodDined on 8/31/2014Love Dukes it was amazing as always! I always have the mac nut opah its delicious one of my favorites on the islandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant in KauaiOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014This was the first place we ever went to in Kauai and it remains our favorite for over a decade later.Special Features:
- One of my husband's favorties!JannieDined on 8/29/2014We always eat at Duke's at least once while we're in Kauai. There food and service is always consistently high. We were seated immediately for our 7:45 reservation in the location we requested. My husband loves the open air and architecture of the building and always comments, wouldn't it be nice to have a house like this. I made a special request of our server to have grilled fish with the tropical salsa that used to be on the menu. The kitchen accommodated that request with Mong Chong and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Great fresh fishhavingagreattimeinkauaiVIPDined on 8/27/2014We love the salad bar and fresh fish. Hevea never had a bad meal or service yet. Love the hula pie!Special Features:
- Might I recommendDidiglitzVIPDined on 8/23/2014A little more (some) rum in their MaiTais. Food for tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to standardsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Duke's Kauai has slipped. Service just ok; waiter really full of himself. Food very poor; fish over cooked and dry. We have eaten at Duke's Huntington, Malibu and Kauai multiple times and this was the worst ever. Salad bar very nice; only available at Kauai.
- Great location.KepeDined on 8/22/2014Dukes is the most consistent restraruant on the island. Great food, great service, and fair prices keep visitors and locals coming back. I've never visited a place so many times without being underwhelmed at some point and that is hard to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Eat when on Kauaihapihonu54Dined on 8/21/2014The original Duke's is a must visit/eat-at restaurant for any visitor to Kaua'i. Scenic view of Kalamaki/Lihue Bay. Great Mai-Tais. One of the best-tasting interpretations of Ahi I have enjoyed with spicy sear and sweet mustard sauce.Special Features:
- StanDined on 8/20/2014We had a party of 5 of us siblings who were getting together as a mini-reunion. We had been there many times in the past. The ambience was great with a wonderful view of the beach. Their salad bar, which used to be a favorite was very bland in taste. I had the opah/moonfish, which I usually love. This time, the size of the portion was significantly smaller and not as good as I remembered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The macadamia nut herb crusted fish was the best meal I ate while in kauaiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticHnemoonerKauai4lifeDined on 8/13/2014This place was great! Have a special diet and they were extremely accomadating! Food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing view, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2014Duke's is situated with an amazing view of Kalapaki beach which also creates a natural bay which is visually stunning. The food is very good with excellent fresh fish cooked well with several different seasoning options. My son had an excellent piece of prime rib cooked wonderfully. Bottom line is you simply cannot beat the location of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HistoricMelishurls127VIPDined on 8/9/2014Went to the restaurant 2X on our trip. First time was awesome, second, we all ate fish and did not feel well the next day. Otherwise, food was delicious! Great salad bar, awesome appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for visiting Kauai!SeattleDined on 8/6/2014Super good food. The Ahi was so good we came back 3 days later to eat here again. My teenager loved the Mac nut and herb roasted fish. Hula pie was amazing! We have been vacationing in Kauai for the last 10 years and love Dukes. See you next time.Special Features:
- Duke's feeds you like a KingShopperNanDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I always enjoy eating here when we are on Kauai - salad bar is wonderful, as is just about everything on the menu. The service is truly in the Aloha spirit, and the prices are reasonable for the island.Special Features:
- True HawaiianflipflopladyDined on 7/28/2014Our visitors from the mainland enjoyed "Dukes" so much last week that they asked to return for their final night in Paradise. The View, the Food and the service all make for a truly Hawaiian experience to remember.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/27/2014The food and service was exceptional. Great selection of entrees to choose from. The daily fish catch was superb.Special Features:
- Excellent Lihue diningDinnerwith3Dined on 7/25/2014Dukes was delicious from their salad bar, delicious fresh fish and of course Hula Pie. Setting is gorgeous in Lihue and the service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on the water at NawiliwiliRodakesqDined on 7/25/2014Duke's is a gem on Kauai. We ordered the fish tacos and the Korean style beef tacos and both were really tasty. Good size portions. Beachside table just a few steps from the water. A real pleasure, this place is a delight for tourists, with various Hawaiiana and lots of Duke's photos on the wall, an indoor waterfall makes a perfect backdrop for photos. Clean and friendly, we thought the vibe was a little different from the Duke's in Maui or Waikiki. But this is Kauai's south shore, a place even further away from city life. This is really a great place to eat. You cannot go wrong at Duke's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great beach front viewIenjoyeatingoutVIPDined on 7/24/2014And reasonably priced. We enjoyed our meal and dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite Kauai restaurant!dtabassDined on 7/23/2014My wife was given a Duke's Kauai gift certificate as a thank-you present, so we went there. Wow! Excellent service, beautiful location, good live music, great salad bar and menu items. We have a new favorite "nice restaurant" that will be part of our annual Kauai vacation trips from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steak was tough and over cooked.Mouse56Dined on 7/22/2014I will not be returning to duke's in kauai. My meal was a huge disappointment. I had to send my steak back twice because it was very tough and not cooked medium well as I requested. I expected more from this restaurant. I've had better steaks from sizzler and longhorn grill for much less money. The hula pie was great, though!Special Features:
- Kauai SpecialflipflopladyDined on 7/19/2014This is our favorite place to take visitors. Food is always good, Servers are very friendly and they have the best Salad Bar in Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family dinnerShellerella6Dined on 7/17/2014Wonderful dinner and waiter. Amazing dessert! We had an ocean view and the ambiance was perfect. Very kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.