3610 Rice Street
Lihue, HI 96766Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dukeskauai.com/
- Phone: 8082469599
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alexander Amorin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Duke's Kauai
Set on the sand of stunning Kalapaki Beach, Duke’s Kauai provides visitors and locals alike with an authentic Kauai experience complete with panoramic ocean views, island inspired cuisine including fresh fish, premium steaks and refreshing tropical cocktails. Here at the original Duke’s restaurant honoring the great Duke Kahanamoku, guests are surrounded by artwork highlighting Duke’s life as Hawaii’s most famous citizen and father of modern surfing as well as the genuine Aloha that is Duke’s legacy. Our Barefoot Bar offers a more casual menu serving both lunch and dinner. The Barefoot Bar does not accept reservations and is seated on a walk-in basis only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Duke's Kauai - Best Restaurants in Lihue ›
Duke's Kauai reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (98)great for outdoor dining (82)special occasion (59)romantic (44)good for groups (41)kid-friendly (30)fit for foodies (30)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (7)late-night find (4)Show More
- Duke's Canoe ClubDyningOutDined on 10/17/2014Good food in a beautiful setting overlooking Kalapaki Bay and the beach. Connected to the Marriott Hotel and you can park there, use Duke's valet, or park in the public lot down the hill and cross the footbridge to the restaurant. The valet and public lot entrances are easy to miss while driving, and GPS will lead you to the Marriott, so that may be your best bet, as there's lots of parking available there.Special Features:
- Kauai 2014ATNYCVIPDined on 10/16/2014Thought the food was just average. And place a bit touristy. Our waiter was great!Special Features:
- awesome and close to the hotelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Great view. Great food. Great service. Short walk from the Marriott resort. It is actually on the resort grounds. Will go again tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and ServicerottyDined on 10/9/2014Made reservations online, for 8 pm, and got a table at 8:20, not all that bad for a busy rest.. Food was perfect, the server, Kevin was a real treat, great sense of humour, showed up when needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal !EllenJDined on 10/7/2014Your restaurant was highly recommended & we are glad we took the advice. Everything was excellent from seating to food to service. We will also recommend Duke's to family & friends who may visit Kauai in the future. Thanks for the wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island ambience, urban serviceLoveToDineOutDined on 10/7/2014The atmosphere is romantic, the kind of ambience you would expect from Kauai, lush, comfortable. We had two different fish dishes. Both were prepared expertly. The plate looked good, the fish was moist with nice butter/lemon seasoning. I would definitely return. The dining room looks out over Kalapaki Beach. We were lucky to get a table with a great view of the bay, the shore, surfers, torch lights. The service was impeccable, from the hostess to the servers. We could not have asked for better service. We noticed that our server was also great with young children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amy's birthday tripOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/5/2014Staff was warm and attentive server knew menu well , made greT recomendations food was very fresh and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Love Duke's!FriendlyVIPDined on 10/5/2014A must go restaurant on the Island! Duke's Rocks he ambience, food and service every time.Special Features:
- Just dessertMelissaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Hula Pie is amazing! We did not do dinner there that night, though it appeared and smelled wonderful. They had healthier side options, which was very appealing.Special Features:
- High bar met!VondyDined on 10/4/2014A friend recommended (read: raved) Duke's to us and he hadn't been in almost 8 years. My new wife and I were skeptical so we didn't go there until dinner two nights before leaving Kaua'i. What a mistake! It was so delicious and the waiter so terrific (Hunter) that we went the next day for lunch AND dinner before leaving the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Duke's Kauai....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Great Prime Rib and Salad Bar! Close to the airport. Great spot for last dinner before going home. Good food and service. Staff is very friendly. Salad bar included with entrees is a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Kauai traditionGuchDined on 9/26/2014Great place to visit whenever in Hawaii. There are steaks, seafood, salad bar.....etc. great food, open on the beach with the sound of the ocean in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great island fishshinyhappyislandgrlDined on 9/21/2014A visiting friend wanted some good island fish...I asked around and several islanders said Duke's was the place to go. They were right. She loved her dinner. I hadn't been in years and was happy to see that they have improved the salad bar since my last visit. It was great watching the sunset over Kalapaki. The only weird thing was I noticed the floors were plywood?? (We ate outside/upstairs.) I hope they are in the middle of some type of floor improvement or something.Special Features:
- Middle of the roadabusseDined on 9/21/2014We found Dukes to be good. Not awesome and not bad. The food was good and the service was good. They have a salad bar that is included with most mains, so it is ok that the entrees don't come with veggies. For what you get, it may be a touch overpriced. But, we are in Hawaii, and things here are pretty spendy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View!ERubioDined on 9/20/2014We went to dinner upstairs one night and the Barefoot Bar downstairs the next afternoon. Dinner was nice and the service was very friendly. We went to the Barefoot Bar the next afternoon, on a Sunday, and enjoyed some great music with ono grinds! We will definitely go back the next time we staycation in Kauai!Special Features:
- good food, good servicepokeyDined on 9/19/2014Had dinner with friends. Menu looked familiar, and learned it's sister restaurant is Keoki's; wish Keoki's had a salad bar too (it's closer to my home). Wait staff was good, paid attention but didn't make me feel claustrophobic. Will go again.Special Features:
- local gemflipflopladyDined on 9/16/2014Duke's is that one place your always want to take your visitors to for a true Hawaiian scene Plus best Salad Bar on the Island. We eat there often and have never had a bad meal or bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a ClassicRICKADined on 9/14/2014We always go to Dukes at least once when in Kauai. The Ahi is excellent and local fish are fresh and well-prepared. The salad bar is a treat, I especially enjoy the Caesar Salad with Anchovies. Both waiters we had on the two times we went for dinner on this trip were excellent. This is the original Duke's Canoe Club, the one is Waikiki at the Outrigger was the second.Special Features:
- Over rated!KauaiLoverDined on 9/14/2014Very dissapointed with Duke's. We were a party of 5, they placed us at a table sticking out into the main isle. Our table literally shook every time someone walked by. The waitress was very unfriendly, but efficient. The food wasn't worth the money. The restarurant was very warm. Only the tables at the front of the restarurant have a view. Which, of course, don't accommodate more than 4 people.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We went and just had the salad bar, which was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellenttexansDined on 9/11/2014Must do in kauai. Food and service excellent. We had the fresh catch of the day. Great way to end your trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerfirsttimedinersDined on 9/9/2014On the Marriot property and on the water front, we dined at night so no view for us. Service was great and the fish was delicious altho I've never paid 31.95 for a piece of fish before. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and when the waitress found that out we were given a hula pie with a candle gratis, and what a fantastic desert it was. We've only been to Kauai this once and Dukes was a nice special occasion restaurant, but very busy so reserve two or three days in advance.Special Features:
- Gorgeous viewsgogirl1213VIPDined on 9/9/2014The view here and exceptionally friendly service are worth the visit, but the food was nothing out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Salad BarSpacewickDined on 9/8/2014We liked our experience enough to visit three times during our stay. The salad bar was great , very fresh & well stocked. The prime rib was excellent . Wraps were also very good for lunch.Special Features:
- visit for birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014We visited for my hubands birthday while staying on the island and we really enjoyed the food, service, and the awesome view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion ResturantKaylinDined on 9/5/2014The Opha was great with the Duke seasoning ( butter garlic). Salad Bar is very nice with made to order Caesar SaladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous in so many waysHappyOnVacationDined on 9/4/2014We were there for two birthdays in a group of two couples. The food was beyond fabulous! The salad bar was so yummy, loved everything but really loved the potato salad (mustardless). The coconut shrimp appetizer was scrumptious. Everyone's fresh fish choice was excellent! My daughter still craves the seared ahi........We travel to Kauai as often as we can but usually annually. We will return, because we will have to try everything on the menu of course. Aloha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great salad barfoodie101Dined on 9/3/2014The view was excellent and the salad bar was very good. My wife had the pesto shrimp, scallops and fish which had way too much oil. I had the special fish which was very good. Since we were staying at the Marriotts next door, we had the complimentary Hula dessert which was excellent.Special Features:
- delicious fish, great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/1/2014We had delicious fish, great view and fantastic atmosphere at Duke's.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableLoveSeafoodDined on 9/1/2014This was a great place to go for a drink and to listen to the group that plays during happy hour. We also returned for dinner and it to was great. The views from both the bar and the restaurant were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum yumheartfoodDined on 8/31/2014Love Dukes it was amazing as always! I always have the mac nut opah its delicious one of my favorites on the islandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant in KauaiOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014This was the first place we ever went to in Kauai and it remains our favorite for over a decade later.Special Features:
- One of my husband's favorties!JannieDined on 8/29/2014We always eat at Duke's at least once while we're in Kauai. There food and service is always consistently high. We were seated immediately for our 7:45 reservation in the location we requested. My husband loves the open air and architecture of the building and always comments, wouldn't it be nice to have a house like this. I made a special request of our server to have grilled fish with the tropical salsa that used to be on the menu. The kitchen accommodated that request with Mong Chong and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Great fresh fishhavingagreattimeinkauaiVIPDined on 8/27/2014We love the salad bar and fresh fish. Hevea never had a bad meal or service yet. Love the hula pie!Special Features:
- Might I recommendDidiglitzVIPDined on 8/23/2014A little more (some) rum in their MaiTais. Food for tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to standardsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Duke's Kauai has slipped. Service just ok; waiter really full of himself. Food very poor; fish over cooked and dry. We have eaten at Duke's Huntington, Malibu and Kauai multiple times and this was the worst ever. Salad bar very nice; only available at Kauai.
- Great location.KepeDined on 8/22/2014Dukes is the most consistent restraruant on the island. Great food, great service, and fair prices keep visitors and locals coming back. I've never visited a place so many times without being underwhelmed at some point and that is hard to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Eat when on Kauaihapihonu54Dined on 8/21/2014The original Duke's is a must visit/eat-at restaurant for any visitor to Kaua'i. Scenic view of Kalamaki/Lihue Bay. Great Mai-Tais. One of the best-tasting interpretations of Ahi I have enjoyed with spicy sear and sweet mustard sauce.Special Features:
- StanDined on 8/20/2014We had a party of 5 of us siblings who were getting together as a mini-reunion. We had been there many times in the past. The ambience was great with a wonderful view of the beach. Their salad bar, which used to be a favorite was very bland in taste. I had the opah/moonfish, which I usually love. This time, the size of the portion was significantly smaller and not as good as I remembered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The macadamia nut herb crusted fish was the best meal I ate while in kauaiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.