78-80 Albany Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.duemarinj.com/
- Phone: (732) 296-1600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday - 11:45 am to 2:45 pm
Dinner: Sunday - 5:00 pm to 8:45 pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday - 5:00 pm to 10:00pm,
Dinner: Thursday - Friday - 5:00 pm to 10:15 pm
Dinner: Saturday - 5:00 pm to 10:45 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Owner: Michael White & Executive Chef: Bill Dorrler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Events from 10 to 200
- Private Party Contact: Private Events email@example.com 732-296-1610
A word from Due Mari
Due Mari is an authentic modern Italian restaurant featuring cuisine from award winning Chef & Owner Michael White. Due Mari presents an atmosphere of comfort, while providing outstanding food, a wide variety of wines to pair, and service that is passionate, attentive, and knowledgeable. With hand-crafted pasta, and fresh and seasonal ingredients, Due Mari takes pride in offering a true fine dining experience in a comfortable casual setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Due Mari reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (74)fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (43)notable wine list (41)romantic (41)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (18)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (7)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014I'm beginning to think of the back corner table for two on the right hand side as you walk in as "our table." Had a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch, disappointing serviceMichelleDined on 11/16/2014The food here is always amazing. We tried the brunch for the first time and it was as good as the dinners we've had there. However, the service was notably bad. It was 15 minutes before anyone took our order, and then all they were ready to handle was our drink order. When we could order food, we chose an appetizer for the table. The waiter asked whether we wanted it ahead of our meal. We said yes but it arrived with our meals. Also, the waiter mixed up our entrees so the two of us who ordered the same thing ended up with eggs cooked how the other wanted them. By the time we realized this, it was too late to switch plates ourselves. Finally, we had to ask for refills of water and coffee several times because they weren't paying attention. This lack of attention to detail is not typical of the experience we've had here during dinner. I would go back for brunch because of the food, but for the price -- and given our past experiences -- the service needs much improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experiencesjthomas394VIPDined on 11/15/2014This was my first time at Due Mari and I will definitely go back next time I'm in town. I was there to celebrate my friends engagement. It was a large group and everything from the service to the food to the drinks was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely MenuKathyVIPDined on 11/12/2014Plenty to choose from including a prix fixe option. The scallops with baby brussel sprouts was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return customerReviewerDined on 11/11/2014I've been to Due Mari at least 20 times for dinner and my family often throws private holiday parties there. The food and service is usually phenomenal. I went for the first time during weekday lunch hours while visiting family and was surprised to find that the service was only fair. The waiter seemed distracted, rushed and unable to remain present while ordering. Even the busers didn't know when to take plates away. Usually I see the staff work wonderfully as a team however, It didn't seem that way when we went. Even the hostess was on the phone and didn't acknowledge us until a second hostess came to ask about our reservation. The gnocchi were light and cooked to perfection, however the sauce was extremely salty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/10/2014We had the seafood salad for an appetizer which was great. I had the bronzino which was fantastic. The table also had the cod and the lobster salad sandwich which were prepared to perfection. The presentations were also perfect. Don't forget to save room for dessert. We had three different ones which were so delicious.Special Features:
- menu not what is used to bedisappointedVIPDined on 11/8/2014It appears that this restaurant has downgraded their menu and is not up to par with how it used to be regarding quality and portion. One of the last good restaurants in the county remaining so very disappointing.
- Consistently Outstanding!!RussVIPDined on 11/6/2014Best Italian in NJ. Sommelier always selects an awesome wine to pair with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Went for our anniversary. Service was excellent. They went the extra mile giving us champagne on the house to celebrate. Food was perfect. Prices were reasonable for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014From the moment we entered Due Mari and sat at the bar waiting for our friends, we felt like we were treated like favorite customers. That feeling continued throughout our meal. Loved the experience!Special Features:
- Fresh pasta and excellent fish.BoCarlsonDined on 11/1/2014Had a great meal with my wife. The service was excellent as was the meal. I appreciate the addition of craft beer. Good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Due meritDocMcstuffingDined on 10/26/2014Dining room interior decoration is elegant, restrained, modern, cultured. Reservation was for family birthday. Availability of brunch offering was a pleasant surprise. All dishes where we'll executed and delicious; calamari, pancakes, salad, crab cakes, sea bass, burger, omelettes, and desserts. The desserts left a strong positive impressions on everyone; tiramisu, chocolate cake, sorbetti, and also the complementary pastries. In addition the cocktails where well balanced and barkeep congenial and polite. The staff was more than attentive; they where polite, professional, accommodating, friendly, gracious, and made the dining experience even more delightful. The restaurant certainly knew how to treat a family celebrating mom's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite standbyJD0605Dined on 10/25/2014Due Mari was excellent, as usual. For us, it is a consistently great restaurant with a nice ambiance. From the bread to dessert, the food was fresh, artistically conceived, and cooked to perfection. So far, this restaurant has not failed to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the Basement!DinahVIPDined on 10/25/2014We have been to Due Mari and always loved it. This time when I asked for a quiet table, they tried to put us in the basement! There is a room there with no windows and it smelled of sewage. We asked to be seated upstairs and, after some hesitation and waiting, we were escorted back upstairs to a window table. I didn't even know they had seating in the basement and I wanted to give people a heads up to avoid it. DinahSpecial Features:
- great servicepickydinerDined on 10/24/2014We always have dinner here when attending a show in town. Service is excellent and friendly. You can tell the staff is properly trained. Food is good but not enough of it, very expensive. Don't know if we will be back.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014This was not my first time dining at Due Mari, nor will it be my last. The service as always was superb. If you are in search of a nice restaurant where the service is equal to the quality of the food, look no further. The staff is well trained and very hospitable. They take great care in making sure that your experience is always first rate. The food is prepared well by Michael and his staff and comes to the table as appetizing to look at as it is to eat. We enjoyed the Prix-Fixe selections as the menu suggests and it was excellent. Of course the selections for the Prix-Fixe are wide so finding a perfect blend is easy. The atmosphere is quite nice and our corner table was perfect for a quiet, intimate dinner.Special Features:
- BerkyVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food -- seafood risotto; mushroom risotto; branzino; the desserts were all excellent. Unfortunately, the service was the absolute worse. The service was so bad that it makes one think that something unusual was happening at the restaurant that particular Saturday night. It took almost 30 minutes before our 1st drink arrived; the wait between courses was almost as long; we ordered dessert/coffee -- the dessert came but not the coffee. The final bill had a couple of errors (including charging us for the coffee) One of the managers (Steve) graciously helped with a couple of issues during the evening and he had no problem correcting the final bill. But the overall bad service made the evening a chore instead of a pleasure.
- Well Worth ItscotchplainsmamaDined on 10/18/2014We ate at Due Mari before theatre at George Street. We shared an interesting starter of mozzarella di buffalo (however it's correctly spelled) on a walnut toast, surrounded by fresh figs drizzled with a balsamic glaze. I had a half server of pasta with Bolognese and a side of spinach (perfectly ample for me); my partner had the halibut main. Both of these were excellent. The ricotta cheese cake was not what I'll call the classic as it was not as light as what I've made in the past. Instead, it was dense but still not the leaden of "American" cheese cake. This came with a scoop of fig gelato. Quite delicious.Special Features:
- ConsistentDiner117VIPDined on 10/17/2014Consistently good with choices that should satisfy all eaters. The menu is well suited to seasonal choices and the service is very good. I like the ability to order smaller portions and leave the table feeling satisfied, but not stuffed.Special Features:
- Due Mari shinesDDsTableRateDined on 10/16/2014Due Mari serves consistently fresh food, not over done nor over sauced, so real flavors of the food come through. It's a great place for seafood & wine lovers who appreciate variety, though meat lovers & vegetarians won't be disappointed. The arugula, kale & other salads are fresh & filling. My companion drooled over the veal chop, while I had perfectly cooked halibut, still tender & moist when served. We skipped the pasta course, though on previous occasions I've indulged in their delicious homemade Italian cuisine. Due Mari is a terrific place for those with an appetite & those trying to stick to their diets- lots of healthy options. Clean & modern bar area is separate from dining- keeps the noise down; perfect for drinks & appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carolVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food was very average. The service was friendly but inattentive.
- KassieDined on 10/7/2014The food was excellent and the waiters were so professional, the only issue I had was the manager who was on duty at lunch on Tuesday didn't even come over to our table. I notice she went to all the other patrons tables and asked them how was there lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodlove2eatoutDined on 10/4/2014Food at restaurant was delicious. We loved the choices for the prix fixe menu and the cost was reasonable for the great quality and quantity. However, when we arrived at the restaurant about 10 minutes early, and I must add that there were many empty tables, the maitre d' wouldn't seat us since we were early. A little confusing. Also, we ordered a bottle of wine, and had to continually ask for glasses to be refilled. Those were the reasons I just gave the service a good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service but....OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/29/2014This was our first visit. The place was beautifully decorated and we had a 6:30 reservation. We were sat right away at a very nice booth. The server was knowledgeable and friendly. However we did not get our drinks until 30 min after we sat, nor did we even order our meals. The second round of drinks ordered were just as slow. It was unfortunate because everything else we loved. I mentioned this to our waiter because I didn't want it to reflect on him, and it was then he mentioned a new bartender and a few bigger groups caused the slow drinks. PS: the bar was empty?) In the end they did credit us for two appetizers and we appreciated the acknowledgement. Other than the delays we enjoyed the food, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- Easy as Sunday EveningChefSteveDined on 9/28/2014We ate here before a concert at the State Theater. Service was timely yet unhurried, and we were able to eat a 3-course meal with plenty of time to get to the show. The food was beautifully prepared and presented well enough to show care without making us wonder how many hands had been touching the food before it got to us. We ate a variety of entrees - pasta, fish and meat. All were consumed with gusto, with much sharing of the "oh! you gotta try some of this" variety. And the desserts, while somewhat trite for an Italian-themed restaurant, we're interesting, deconstructed twists on the standards, that delivered all of the essence in very interesting forms. All in all, it was a dinner experience we all enjoyed very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent restaurant. I requested a birthday cake or a birthday candle in the dessert (via OpenTable) and that did not happen. Should have dealt with the restaurant directly.Special Features:
- Pleasing everyone!ScarletDined on 9/17/2014Three people, three different sets of preferences.....all pleased and looking forward to returning--soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014I do not recommend this restaurant. It was over prices small portions with no flavor. Very disappointing. The Salmon that we got was not even half the portion of the Salmon that they show on their website.
- First time visitCasualReviewerDined on 9/15/2014Enjoyed a nice business lunch at Due Mari and it was truly excellent. Service, food, atmosphere, all just really great. Would come back...do recommend.Special Features:
- still going strongrichieDined on 9/13/2014This was our first trip back to due mari in 3 or 4 years, and i am happy to say it is still in top form. Excellent service, strong wine list. Had the 4 course prixe fixe and every course was very high quality. Decent price value at $58 as well. They stuck us downstairs in an overflow dining room even though they had plenty of room upstairs, which some of our party did not like but I was fine with it. Overall, on par with the best of New Brunswick's restaurants .Special Features:
- Good find far from homeDaddioDined on 9/11/2014When on a recent business trip I decided to take a chance on Due Mari. The restaurant is upscale in appearance and attitude. The lighting could be a tiny bit lower to up the romantic ante. The menu is quite diverse and has one really nice feature: an appetizer option for the pastas. As a person with a smaller capacity, I was able to have a starter, a salad, and an appetizer sized Lumache pasta--a really creative shrimp,scallop and fava bean dish with a not-often-seen Fiano di Avellino wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive for nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014It wasn't a good experience. Took Long time to serve the food which wasn't that good. Even the dessert had no test.used to be better resturant.
- Small menuJjgnVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is good enough but not many choices. The menu seems to focus on appetizers more than entrees. Seems like a nice place to have a drink after work.
- Great Vibe!LoriDined on 8/23/2014Service was excellent, food was good not spectacular. Expensive for what you get, small portions. Very cool vibe, nicely designed with high ceilings with large chandeliers throughout the restaurant. Also, it's Very noisy. I would go back but mostly for the atmosphere, not so much the food.Special Features:
- Poor serviceGebsDined on 8/23/2014The worst service I have experienced in years. No Parking, couldn't drop guest off in front do to construction. Private room, which also was used for service at other tables. Took forever to get a drink, had to track down our waitress several times. Served the birthday cake before we got our coffee. Will never return.
- AlymDined on 8/22/2014Can't wait to go back! Dinner was amazing! All the pasta was fresh!! The food and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRalphVIPDined on 8/17/2014Calamari is unbelievable. Maybe the best I ever had. Pasta is free and prepared perfectly. Entrees of salmon, bronzino and grilled pork chop each prepared to perfection. Service was attentive and friendly. A wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Dinning RoomSpringLakerDined on 8/17/2014This is my 3rd time to Due Mari. A great place to go when you are expecting a well prepared meal with fresh ingredients, they always deliver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great service!DineWithFriendsVIPDined on 8/15/2014I had not had the opportunity to dine at Due Mari in a while and was delighted to be back to a familiar favorite. The menu had changed but the food was wonderful and the service was excellent! I can't see a reason for going anywhere else when dining in New Brunswick!Special Features:
- dinnere at due mariralphDined on 8/14/2014great service and food, the atmosphere was very relaxing and a stress reducer..the bar scene appeared to be vibrantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.