Dudley's on Short
259 W. Short St.
Lexington, KY 40507Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Dudley's on Short
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dudleysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (859) 252-1010
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Dudley's on Short
Dudley's Restaurant has been a mainstay on the Lexington dining scene since 1981. Dudley's offers delicious modern American cuisine with an impressive wine list to match.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Dudley's on Short - Best Restaurants in Lexington ›
Dudley's on Short reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)fit for foodies (71)romantic (56)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (30)hot spot (26)great for lunch (25)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (20)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Birthday and more.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2014The dinner was for celebrating my birthday and a visit from my brother and his family. The food was expertly prepared, from the scallops that I had to the salmon, beef, and lamb dishes that everyone else ordered. The service was very attentive and knowledgeable. The server even recommended a cocktail to my niece after she described what she liked. I have always enjoyed the restaurant but this experience will keep me coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A city gem, perhaps the best in town for town!MikeDined on 11/16/2014There is just no occasion from dinner with friends a loved one or business associates that Dudley's does not fit the bill. Food, wine and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FreshladybugDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant was wonderful. We had the best server who knew everything about the menu. The food was delicious. It is loud, but that doesn't bother me. It is an old house with a very warm feel to it. If I'm ever in Lexington again I will definitely go back to Dudley's on Short.Special Features:
- Superb.jkpugelDined on 11/5/2014Dudley's had been on my list of restaurants to try and I was excited to finally go there to celebrate my 1 year anniversary. We got there and were seated immediately and the feel of the restaurant was very classy, dimly lit, and filled with the sound of people talking and enjoying their meals. I ordered the filet and my fiancee ordered the pasta and we both were really pleased with our food. The waiter asked if we were celebrating something since we got champagne and we told them and after our dinner he brought us a special dessert (which was fantastic) with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate on the plate. Very nice touch. Needless to say we really enjoyed Dudley's and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Seating undesireableLexdinerVIPDined on 11/2/2014We have been here several times. Great food & service. It was our first visit on a UK ballgame night. We were disappointed to be seated along the wall, with a long bench on one side, elbow to elbow with other guests..... a bit too close for comfort. We were guessing that it was just too tempting to get as many people in as possible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Up to Usual Excellence ServiceMark5555VIPDined on 10/30/2014Dudley's is one of the top restaurants in Lexington. The food is inevitably excellent and the service first rate. Normally this is my favorite place for a quality business lunch. There is always an interesting and tasty lunch fist special. This week, however, the poor service left me speechless. Apparently, they ran out of the lunch special by 12:15. The waiter could offer no low carb alternative. Finally, I asked for a manager. The hostess who came to our table had no alternatives either. After three different conversations, she finally agree to serve the salmon off the dinner menu. I will go back as this was very uncharacteristic of Dudley's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best in downtown Lex for lunchDonMcNayVIPDined on 10/30/2014It is the best place in downtown Lexington For lunch. The ultimate place for movers and shakers but the food is excellent, exciting and moderately priced. I go there often and will continue. Don McNaySpecial Features:
- Superbmas1966VIPDined on 10/28/2014Dudley's manages to combine wonderful food, exemplary service and an inviting atmosphere. You really can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Great experiencegr8foodDined on 10/28/2014Our Vice-president and Corporate Manager were coming to visit our facility and taking the managers out to dinner. I chose Dudley's and it was absolutely the right choice for this event! Everything from the greeting when we arrived to the service, drinks, and food were awesome. I received many positive comments from each group member that attended and how much they enjoyed their meal. Dudley's is a great place to go for fine dining!!Special Features:
- Great FoodDLJCPADined on 10/23/2014The best Salmon I have ever had! Everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JBL11Dined on 10/23/2014Very good restaurant overall. Fine food and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!!genebramDined on 10/21/2014Went there to celebrate a friend's birthday while traveling to the Lexington area. Super meal and attentive service....in spite of boisterous party of three men at the table next to us, who apparently had consumed a lot of alcohol by the time we arrived to be seated.Special Features:
- Good pick!BBBBDined on 10/18/2014Met all expectations...loved the bread girl!!! Service was good and felt we were valued and left in great mood!Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!LovegoodfoodDined on 10/12/2014Coming here for a pre-UK Opera Theatre brunch is now a family tradition. Always outstanding!Special Features:
- Loud with Good VibeElizabethDined on 10/11/2014My girlfriends and I went here for dinner after the Races. It was very busy and quite noisy. The food was good, though and the wine list extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old friendChicagofavsVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had not been to Dudleys since we moved from Lexington and we had not been to the new location . We use to love to go to Dudleys and we were not disappointed when we returned. The new location is beautiful . The food and service are as excellent as I remember. It was really a wonderful experience and it makes me miss Lexington even moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in Lex for lunchDonMcNayVIPDined on 10/10/2014It's where you will see all the movers and shakers. The food is excellent and prices are moderate. Don McNaySpecial Features:
- loud crowded and overpricedkytravelerDined on 10/3/2014We had made a reservation several days in advance. We were seated upstairs beside two parties of 12+ at each table..The noise level was distracting and loud. My party of 5 orderded appetizers for the table. The 6 panko fried oysters Rockefella arrived each the size of a dime. At $14 we thought they were too small and overpriced.The small portions continued with the $10 salads.The $40 entree specials were uninspiring and overpriced for the Lexington market. Grouper special was good along with the sea scallops. The lemon pie desert was actually a small tart. Small portions and high prices seemed the norm at Dudley's.Special Features:
- Excellent!SheilaAhmad1Dined on 9/20/2014Dined there twice- food was great both times! Highly recommend itSpecial Features:
- The best!JackVIPDined on 9/17/2014We eat every meal out and this was the very best in all respects!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I had lunch at restaurant before and enjoyed it so wanted to try dinner and it was nice. Will com back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Food and service was excellent but the noise level when the restaurant is full makes it very difficult to have a conversation. Don't go there for a business dinner where you need to have meaningful interactive discussion. There were 5 of us and if the person next to you wasn't talking directly to you there was no way to hear the conversation.Special Features:
- A winner!ArkieFoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Romantic and elegant, without being stuffy. Friendly, efficient service. Nice wine list with a range of prices and selections. Food was delicious! My husband's duck breast was the "best he's ever had!" Try the T.G. salad - local Bibb lettuce, bleu cheese, bacon with mustard vinaigrette -- outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in LexingtonJeffDined on 9/13/2014What a great place. Conveniently located in downtown Lexington with plenty of parking available in a pay lot across the street. Honestly, my fillet was as good or better than any I have had at a Ruth's Chris, Morton's or a Jeff Ruby owned restaurant. Friendly, courteous and professional wait staff.Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our second visit to Dudley's, and we didn't remember that the noise level was quite so high (though our last visit was on a week-day night, and this was a Saturday night after a UK football game). We found that we almost had to shout across the table to each other so we could be heard, partly due to a boisterous group of five seated next to us who had obviously had too much to drink. Once they left, things quieted down a bit, and we had a wonderful dinner. Service was excellent, as was the food, particularly the scallops and salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place To CelebraterightspotDined on 9/6/2014Great for an evening out with your significant other. Flexible menu and helpful service. Excellent food, excellent service and great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencefood4thought53Dined on 9/3/2014Went to Dudley's for my wife's birthday dinner and both of us enjoyed it tremendously. Our waiter Steve catered to us very well. He recommended a wine which my wife liked a lot. The entrees were very good you can tell the chef is skilled in his creations. The best part was when Steve brought a complimentary dessert out for my wife. A sundae made with all home made ingredients including the ice cream. We would recommend Dudley's for any special occasion to friends. Thanks for a memorable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findWearyTravelerDined on 9/2/2014Arrived in Lexington at dinner time. After traveling add day Open Table helped find a very nice spot to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dudley's on ShortFrankfoodieDined on 8/30/2014Nice downtown Lexington restaurant. Ahi tuna and scallops were very good. Nice wine selection, good service.Special Features:
- Very good but a bit pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Food was very good but a bit pricy for the portions. Parking is a bit tuff especially with an event across the street. Excellent service. Totally full....got pretty noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of Lexington's best!dhunter919Dined on 8/23/2014The buttermilk fried calamari is very unique and delicious...a definite for calamari lovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysJSHabDined on 8/22/2014Every time we go to Lexington, we always choose Dudley's. The menu changes frequently. The food is always wonderful, the staff more than friendly. They have accommodated our needs; menu's without prices and made our elderly parents with canes and walkers feel welcome.Special Features:
- Marvelous Evening!TimMVIPDined on 8/11/2014While we have been to Dudley's many times, this was one of the most relaxing and fulfilling dinner gatherings that we have had. The service was punctual but not pressured. The pace of the evening felt comfortable, yet not slow. Time to enjoy the evening and service staff that was attentive. The bourbon and wine lists are excellent. They accommodated a food allergy with grace and ease. We have moved Dudley's back up on our list of favorites!Special Features:
- Dudley's never disappoints!KyfarmgirlDined on 8/9/2014Padgett was our server who has perfected the art of providing the best despite occasionally being a bit over-the-top. The food was exceptional as always. In our group of six we enjoyed Crab cakes, calamari, steak frites, scallops, paella, grilled Brussels spout salad and a divine chocolate dessert. Debbie Long is well known in Lexington as the owner of THE best place to eat well!Special Features:
- Best club sandwich everMeatAndPotatoesDined on 8/7/2014I wanted to eat lunch someplace unique during my first visit to Lexington, and Dudley's was just a few minutes' walk from my convention. The service was great, although my server could not recommend anything because he had not eat but a few menu items. This I found odd. However, everything looked good. I wanted the hot brown, but I knew it would be too heavy given my activities for the rest of the day, so a simple sandwich it was. How pleasantly surprised I was to be served a wonderfully basic club sandwich but made with high quality ingredients. It was very satisfying. The decor was exquisite, and the staff extremely friendly. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Perfect evening thanks to Dudley'sjsowardsDined on 8/3/2014Always great food and great atmosphere, the rooftop patio is a must visit along with a great menu and an atmosphere that makes Lexington proud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!Seabreezer62Dined on 8/3/2014Great night super service! I had the duck special which was perfect and of course the amazing warm Brussel sprout salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dudleystd36Dined on 8/2/2014A real find. The restaurant was very busy. The wait staff was very professional. They were at your table when you needed them-no push for you to leave.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekMegMcADined on 7/31/2014My fiance and I tried Dudley's on Short during Restaurant Week, and we were not disappointed. It seems like some high end restaurants dumb down their menus for Restaurant Week; not Dudley's on Short. I never wanted to stop eating the wilted kale salad with bacon vinaigrette, and the seared trout with polenta and ratatouille made my taste buds so happy. The transparent pie was perfect. My fiance was similarly happy with his choices: the heirloom tomato salad (both of our first times trying real caviar), lamb porterhouse, and peach cobbler. The service was impeccable. I'm sorry to say I do not remember our server's name. If I did I would post it here!. Thanks, Dudley's on Short, for an amazing meal. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie8Dined on 7/29/2014This was my first time dining at Dudley's on short. I was very pleased with my meal and service. I did participate in restraurant week and will go back to Dudley's. I spoke to friends and colleagues that participated in restraurant week, my meal and menu choices seemed much better than at other participating restraurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.