4904 Courthouse St
Williamsburg, VA 23188Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 757-566-1157x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 9:00pm
Saturday 12:00noon - 9:00pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Kennedy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Dudley's Bistro
Chef Jim Kennedy first opened Dudley's Farmhouse Grille in 2007, located in a 1905 farmhouse Dudley's quickly became an area favorite. The use of Fresh Local ingredients whenever possible, Organic Herbs and Wild Game were unique to the area's dining choices. The restaurant recently relocated to 4904 Courthouse Street in New Town, in the heart of Williamsburg. The new Name "Dudley's Bistro", and location have quickly become a favorite for locals and tourists alike. We still use the freshest and finest ingredients available, and we change our menu every two weeks to keep things fresh and interesting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Dudley's Bistro - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Dudley's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (27)great for outdoor dining (24)special occasion (19)neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (18)romantic (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great foodPattiDined on 9/20/2014Our party of four had four different entrees. They were all delicious. Only complaint is that they do not allow ANY substitutions. If a patron has an allergy to one side or the sauce, sorry.....Special Features:
- Absolutely OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014The food was the best I have had in a while, and is on par with highly rated restaurants in larger metropolitan areas. The chef came out to check on the diners' experience and the wait staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting & Great FoodHistoryLoverVIPDined on 9/17/2014Dudley's provided a sumptuous meal in a pleasing setting with a knowledgeable server. The manager was pleasnt & attentive. Food arrived hot & the Cajun grouper was an out of the ordinary preparation with a bit of spice, but not heated. The menu brings wildlife & specialty items such as quail & venison- a welcome innovation here in Williamsburg. We will definitely return, & make Dudley's one of our "go to" places for dining.Special Features:
- Amazing!MikeDined on 8/30/2014What a pleasant suprise! We weren't sure about the "bistro" part of the name, but don't let that fool you. The food is amazing - can't wait to go back. Three of us dined there on Saturday night; each course was delicious, from Apps to Deserts! A true gem in Williamsburg!Special Features:
- family dinnerjakeVIPDined on 8/30/2014First time at Dudley's, and it won't be the last. Excellent food, outstanding service - will definitely make the drive from VB back to Williamsburg to enjoy this restaurant again. Awesome experience!Special Features:
- Best in Williamsburg!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/27/2014Very good food prepared with only the freshest ingredients! It does not matter whether you are having lunch or dinner the dishes are prepared to perfection. We have been many times and the service is always excellent and the owner and manager very involved in the restaurant. They have a great Craft beer, wine and martinis to die for!Special Features:
- Good food, Odd Ownerkris10Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I ate at Dudley's because we read about it in the '30 places you should eat in Virginia before you die' article by hamptonroads.com. We thought the food was great. We had a melon and prosciutto appetizer, and for our entrees I had scallops and he had duck. Everything was fabulous! The service was very slow, and the owner was a little overbearing. I felt like he stopped by our table a little too often, creating the impression that he was breathing over us during dinner. We had a lovely time, but the ambiance would have been better with a quicker wait staff and fewer visits from the owner.Special Features:
- A delicious find in WilliamsburgMyrosiaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We stopped here for a late lunch and were promptly welcomed by the restaurant manager. The restaurant is small, but beautiful and so inviting! Our party of four each selected a different item. The chicken salad on croissant with a tasty green salad was delicious according to my elderly mom. Our son loved the Kobe beef burger; my husband thoroughly enjoyed his patty melt, and I loved my lamb burger oozing with tzatziki sauce and accompanied by beautifully roasted and salted potato wedges. We had NO room for dessert, but will definitely return many times. Thank you, Dudley's!Special Features:
- GreatWilliamsburgFoodieDined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed everything. Jack was a delight, and the food was just great. Nice Bistro, classical style, vibrant, and some great views of New Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in New Town!RichDined on 8/8/2014We had dinner at Dudley's Friday night with another couple, and all four of us raved about our meals...ranging from sea bass to sautéed scallops to a beautiful steak. This restaurant is great for intimate get-togethers. The paint colors and paintings all blend to give diners a great place to enjoy fantastic food. Special thanks to Jack, the manager. He stopped by our table often to inquire about the food and service. And John, our server, was equally attentive. We had a great evening and dine there as often as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeWineanddineDined on 8/7/2014I've been eating here since Jim moved from the farm house, and this has been one of my few favorite places in town! However, this time, it was unbelievable! The food was taken to a new level, maybe. Because chef Kennedy is back in the kitchen himself doing most of it, but man, the food was out of this world!!!! Bravo!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at lovely placeLoveSeafoodDined on 7/31/2014Amazing fresh food and impeccable service. This lovely place offers you fresh food for everyone and nice wine selections, great craft beers. The rockfish special we just outstanding. Delicately seared and well paired sauce with andouille. The service was outstanding and very knowledgable. I would recommend this place to everyone local and visiting in Williamsburg. Must try if you like good food, excellent service and lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Williamsburg!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/30/2014Dudley's Bistro in New Town always deliver. Food quality is excellent and the service is amazing! We always go to Dudley's Bistro to celebrate an event. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Lobster Rolls!RichDined on 7/11/2014My wife & I topped by Dudley's for lunch and each had his lobster rolls. Absolutely fantastic! Large chunks of Maine lobster with no filler. They came with home made house fries. We topped it all off by splitting a piece of home made key lime pie. Dudley's is a great place to eat. Nicely decorated, quiet and a terrific menu that uses local ingredients. Lunch or dinner - you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short Drive To An Outstanding MealrororeviewsDined on 7/6/2014We are excited that Dudley's Bistro is only a short, pleasant drive away. Taking advantage of an evening with cooler temps and low humidity, we sat on the patio and enjoyed impeccable service, a glass of wine, and Chef Jim's culinary talent! Fresh and flavorful are key words here. The watermelon gazpacho was first-rate with just the right amount of heat. My husband & his brother found the veal chops sizeable and perfectly cooked, accompanied by a delicious mushroom risotto. My sister-in-law and I found the fresh scallops & crab cakes, both highlighted with local corn, a delight. Do not miss the croissant bread pudding if available. We look forward to our next visit and discovering what new creations Chef has to offer. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinedinerDined on 6/21/2014Great local restaurant in New Town with unique menu and excellent wine list. Also has very nice outside seating.Special Features:
- Father's Day Treat!RichDined on 6/15/2014A perfect Father's Day gift! We dine at Dudley's as often as we can and the food, wine and service are always outstanding. My Father's Day treat included exceptional wait-service as well as seafood dinners for my wife and I. Her Hawaiian swordfish was fresh and delicious and my pan seared scallop appetizer in a corn and red pepper relish, followed by the crab cake dinner was excellent. For desert, we split a piece of home made goat-cheese cheesecake. It was fantastic! Dudley's provides gourmet food at affordable prices. Menu items include fish, seafood, steaks (including Kobe) and other items - something for everyone's taste. They also have a variety of home made desserts to provide the perfect finish to any meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experience...FiolaVIPDined on 6/14/2014I travel throughout the US and Canada and while away from my family I make up for it by indulging in amazing food :). As a standard, I use open table to find amazing local restaurants. This restaurant missed the mark completely and should not be on open table. I ordered a 50 steak and the explanation on the menu in comparison to what I received was absolutely laughable. The steak, first off, was suppose to be medium rare and arrived less than lukewarm and beyond raw. The 2 small carrots were barely cooked and only slightly shaved (it was essentially a raw carrot with the steam still on it). I suppose it was for presentation but the taste was terrible. This is literally my first review, I hated my experience that much I felt I had to share.Special Features:
- Great Soft CrabsooftieDined on 6/7/2014Very friendly staff. Small menu but really offers something for everyone. My salad was loaded with fresh ingredients & really interesting textures & flavors. Soft Crab special was spectacular. Biggest selection of craft beers Ive seen anywhere.Special Features:
- Some good, some not so goodLuckyDined on 5/31/2014Not my first trip to Dudley's but perhaps my last. The beer selection is great, and the Allagash Curieux was the highlight of the meal. Food was uneven - the scallops appetizer seemed a bit under-cooked, and I think $14 for two scallops is a bit high, especially when it's pretty ordinary. The swordfish main course was very good, cooked just right and with a tasty sauce, but the fingerling potatoes swerved with it must have come straight out of the fridge. To be fair, I was brought some warm potatoes when I brought this to the managers attention. The server was pleasant but not particularly attentive or effective. I've given Dudley's an overall "good" rating, but for the price it needs to be better than just good.
- Solid But Just OKmbuschVIPDined on 5/27/2014Have mixed review. The swordfish special was moist and exceptionally prepared. She asked for extra beans in lieu do potato, but had to ask again when the plate arrived with no extra portion. The wild boar special was most disappointing. Requested medium and it was medium rare to rare. Had to ask for a steak knife to cut through a bit tough chop. Had three small 1/2" chops. Sauce was just OK, as was mushroom risotto. Then came the shocker. The price was $39!!! Wow. Way overpriced for the value. Guess I should have asked for the price when special was presented. My mistake. Was a slow weeknight, so chef stopped by table then manager twice trying to sell the dessert menu. A bit irritating. Was good overall, but would not return.Special Features:
- The following 23 reviews are from the Dudley's Bistro reviews archive.
- Amazing!MelissaVIPDined on 5/22/2014The atmosphere was quiet, great for conversation, and very cozy. The staff was friendly and attentive. Make sure you make a reservation as there are only about 30-tops in the restaurant. They had a wonderful craft beer selection - good local choices too. The chef has a deft hand - everything was seasoned well, flavors were balanced, everything was perfectly cooked, and the desserts were perfect (not overly sweet, but nice and light). If you're in Williamsburg, please check this restaurant out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artery AlertChazDined on 5/21/2014A very small restaurant in a modern shopping center. The window seats look straight in to the adjoining Z Pizza restaurant next door. Only 3 other tables for the owner, manager, chef and two servers to pour their attention on. Service from the very knowledgable waiter was particularly attentive. Good but small wine list, full bar. Be careful of the old style French cuisine, swimming in clarified butter, the lobster bisque was pure cream. In my opinion the butter overwhelmed the natural taste of the food, which is unfortunate as this place as potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day treat!CarlDined on 5/11/2014My daughter took me to Dudley's for an afternoon on the patio. Great wine selection, attentive service and fantastic meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dudley's BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We had dinner here to celebrate a graduation. Not a very big room, but plenty of room at the table. We had a delicious meal along with wine, beers and other drinks. It was a very busy weekend, which might be the reason why from the extensive beer and wine list, at least two beers and one bottle of wine was out of stock. We also finished off one of the desserts. It was an expensive meal, but not more than what we would have paid at other higher end restaurants in Williamsburg. A great place for a special meal. The chef and owner of the place asked us if we were enjoying the meal and was very friendly. A really nice find. If it hadn't been raining, I assume that there might have been people eating at tables outside.Special Features:
- Town square bistroYum2yumDined on 5/9/2014Nice town square location with a nice patio weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExpectationsSniggyDined on 5/3/2014We arrived earlier than our reservation and asked to be seated in the bar. There was no bar, but we decided to sit outside for a glass of wine. When we told the waiter we would go inside for dinner, he took up our wine glasses and menus and moved us inside despite the fact that we still had some time before our reservation. Inside we ordered a bottle of white wine which was brought to our table and then left without an ice bucket. Later we noticed several tables with white wine in buckets, including a table being served by our waiter. The food was tasty, but not exceptional. The decor is understated, but attractive. For a Saturday, there were only 5 tables of people. Hopefully, the service will improve, as well as the attendance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reallly, don't bother.GandGDined on 4/25/2014We were looking for a place that would be different from our normal haunts and found Dudley’s Bistro on Open Table. When we arrived, they seemed confused about the reservation and said “Oh, you must have gotten in right under the wire.” It was 6:30 and there were only two other tables occupied. It took about 20 minutes to get the drink order filled. The food was not spectacular – though the price was. Give this one a pass if only for their really bad service – I don’t like to reward this kind of attitude in a business.
- Easter done rightCarlDined on 4/20/2014Dudley's came thru again with a great Easter menu of fresh finds! Hawaiian prawns, lamb, tuna....all delicious and a fantastic craft beer menu. I look forward to warmer weather and the chance to linger for outside dining and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luveatingoutDined on 4/20/2014Service was friendly and personable - really liked the waiter - but it was all too slow. Meats, wine, & desserts were delightful, but sides and bread not so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a bistroBlooddadDined on 4/19/2014A bistro serves moderately priced simple food by definition. The food here is not simple nor moderately priced. It was as, expressed by my dining companions, as some of the best entrees they have ever had. Service and ambience are not commensurate with the food. Definitely go for the food.Special Features:
- CN2MYIZDined on 4/19/2014food was fresh, the "Prime" Prime rib was delicious and tender. I'm very glad I dined at Dudley's BistroSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendly service !ViggaVIPDined on 4/15/2014This may actually be the friendliest place I have been to in the US. The srebice was great, our server knew everything about the menu and wine list. Food was amazing, tailfish, chicken and burger it was all very good. And oh the key-lime pie was out standing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Exceptional Restaurant!RichDined on 4/11/2014Dudley's does not disappoint! We have been fans for years and dine there as often as we can. On Friday, we met friends for dinner. They travel the world; yet make it a point to get to Dudley's whenever they are in town. The spring menu is fantastic! The fried oyster appetizers were delicious and our main courses ranged from Mahi-Mahi to Delmonico steak to Lamburger. Everything was cooked to perfection, came with generous portions and sides and were absolutely delicious. Miguel was attentive and knowledgeable about everything from the menu to the craft beers and extensive wine list. We finished with homemade deserts - key lime pie & crème brule. If you haven't eaten there, you are missing a fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyable diningLuckyDined on 4/8/2014The food was great - we had kale salad, an interesting bacon wrapped stuffed date appetizer, and for the main course a delicious scallop special and a shrimp and crawfish etouffe that was excellent. Also a great selection of craft beers. The service was top notch. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantJoesphb778Dined on 4/4/2014Excellent food but service a bit slow and waitress did not know menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful meal at Dudley’s BistroMeliMeleDined on 4/1/2014From the 1st time we went there almost two years ago, Jim & Jack have always made us feel special and appreciated. But it’s the food that really counts. Chef Phillip truly understands how tastes go together to make a beautiful dish, and he's a master at the sauces. Last night, we started with the pan-fried oysters and a beautiful Greek salad; then, super-fresh mongong flown in special from Hawaii for me, and a stunning filet mignon for the husband. The sides: locally sourced, always something new, and delightfully delicious. And now, the superb Miguel is table-side. He is classy, unobtrusive, polite and efficient. Dudley’s is far and away our favorite restaurant in Williamsburg, and, as world-travelers, it's on our top ten list anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but service was notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014First, I will say the food was good. I haven't had Oxtail that good in years and my fiancee had the kale salad with smoked cheddar. After that things did not go as well. We both order the angus burger and instead were brought lamb burgers. It was clear this is not what we ordered but the server tried to debate with us that is was but we did finally get the right order. The burgers were good, the brioche was excellent. The service overall was very poor. The manager sat at a table most of the night looking at his iPad and only got up to try and force desert on the table next to us and explain it was the server's fault that their table was wobbly. He did not even come over to apologize for the order mix up and there only 4 tables.
- Who Needs a Menu?BosoxDined on 3/29/2014My Seared Tuna Special with bok choy, coconut rice, eggplant, crispy nori, and miso sauce was actually served with miso, string beans, halved cherry tomatoes, Greek olives, and something resembling pieces of potatoes or polenta, with a poached egg sitting on top of the slightly overcooked tuna Quite a difference from the menu description but, fortunately, surprisingly good which accounts for the food grade given, as my wife's shrimp etouffe was very good. No warning was given of the big change and as I was hungry, I accepted it. The place is small, tables are rather close and one is right and I mean RIGHT next to the entry. Service was fine. If you eat here, make sure they can deliver as promised or be prepared for Chef's Choice.Special Features:
- great dinnerpingsterDined on 3/15/2014Service was friendly attentive and helpful. Specials were terrific as was the main menu. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.