Kansas City, MO 64105Neighborhood:
Downtown / River Market
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.drumroomkc.com/
- Phone: 8163031686
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday thru Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner: Friday thru Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Carter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for private parties and dinners.
- Private Party Contact: David Thistle 8163031642
- Entertainment: Every Friday and every other Saturday from 6:30pm until 10:30pm, the Drum room features the sultry tones of Monique Danielle and Rick Bacus. Check out our website for more information www.drumroomkc.com.
- Special Events: We have private dining options available for parties from 20 people and up. Please email Tovia Cohen @ Tovia.Cohen@hilton.com for inquiries.
A word from Drum Room
Inside the Hilton President sits the soul of Kansas City’s historic downtown. Within the finest boutique hotel in the city resides a hidden gem. The Drum room is a critically acclaimed restaurant and simplicity that has been beating at the heart of downtown for over 50 years. Sleek, modern lines and rustic, natural textures make it a place that’s soulful, warm and inviting- like the menu. Chef Eric Carters’ diverse menu focuses on pure flavors and simplicity within his urban comfort themed cuisine. His nostalgic inspirations are complemented by unique desserts, classic cocktails, and a wide selection of local micro-brewed beers. Relax with a drink in our lounge or enjoy live entertainment on Friday evenings. Rediscover the soulful beat of downtown Kansas City, start your memorable evening at the Drum Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Drum Room reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food was excellent. WeButtonDined on 8/24/2012The food was excellent. We did not realize the Drum Room was closed for remodeling so would have waited until it was open. It would have been nice to have been told we wouldn't be eatng in the Drum Room that evening. We ate in the Walnut Room (I think that was the name) which was fine. There was no one there except two other people but guess that was due to the remodeling. Everything was fine.
- We were in the upstairs diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2012We were in the upstairs dining room since the downstairs was being remodeled
- Very limited menu and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Very limited menu and the price vs the food was not worth it. Not bad food, but not spectacular. There was no one available to seat us when we arrived so the bar had us seat ourselves. Also, we had a gift certificate for $25 off the purchase of two entrees... we were under the impression that a entree was anything that wasn't a starter or a side but in reality it was only those items listed specifically under the entree section so the $12 Kobe burger didn't count. They were nice and let us use part of the certificate but that felt more than a little sneaky.
- The food was good, very "foodie"OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/7/2012The food was good, very "foodie" type menu. The atmosphere left something to be desired. We were literally the only people in there at 8:00pm on a Saturday. Maybe this place is mainly for events? To agree with another review, the environment was cold. Although located in a historic art deco hotel, the room lacks any sort of character or ambiance.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012One of my favorite restaurants in Kansas City. Food and Service is always outstanding. I love going to the Drum Room the entire experience is always the best.Special Features:
- Small menu, but food was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012Small menu, but food was great. Pretty pricey..Singers great also.Special Features:
- Low-key, easy access locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2012Low-key, easy access location in the Hilton President. Excellent Rib eye and Wings.
- Just went to lunch, no onedjewellDined on 6/28/2012Just went to lunch, no one was there, we got restaraunt all to ourselves which was pretty cool.Special Features:
- This was some of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2012This was some of the best food I've had in a long while. The filet melted in my mouth!Special Features:
- I ordered chicken with ravioli.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012I ordered chicken with ravioli. It was suppose to have mushrooms and two types of bacon. They forgot the bacon in my dish. The chicken was dry and the meal was boring. The bread rolls did not feel or taste fresh. The salad was nothing special. My friend enjoyed the ribeye. For the same amount of money, I'll be going back to the Reiger.Special Features:
- Music? Not tonight!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012Made reservations on a Saturday since website indicated live music every Friday and Saturday only to find out when we arrived that the band had 'taken the night off'. It seems they only play on Fridays and every other Saturday which would have been fairly valuable information. Also, with a 2/3 empty dining area, we were seated in a less than desirable table. The food wasn't bad, though pricey considering it didn't include anything but the main course (no salad/soup/etc). Service was fair.
- Let's start with the goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2012Let's start with the good things: Historic building with a good authentic vibe, awesome live jazz singers, very good, flavorful meats- we had Sirloin and Ribeye. Bad things: Waited over 30 min for waitress to take order, she seemed stretched thin, but didn't apologize for the slow service either. It worked out ok because of the live music we were entertained, but it would have been nice for her to acknowledge we had been waiting for quite awhile. And again 30 min wait for our food and my green beans were plain and cold. Expensive for the environment compared to other area restaurants (similar prices to Skyy ($20-35 entrees) etc..., yet the service and ambiance are a little less than...)Special Features:
- tick-tockOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/17/2012So very, very, very slow - easy to understand why they have no lunch business. It took 25+ minutes just to get a couple of sandwiches and the place was almost empty. No hostess, no clear direction (even a sign saying "please be seated" would have helped). Great food but don't plan on a quick lunch because it isn't possible. We would have liked to try their desserts, but were completely out of time for an hour lunch. No way you could eat here if you only had 30 minutes. Most people have a limited amount of time for a weekday lunch! Even if we hadn't had to get back to work, it was too much wasted time in a bland, unappealing basement room waiting for a turkey sandwich.
- Cold environment. Poorly trainedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012Cold environment. Poorly trained wait staff. No Ribeye. Steak was fair but pork chop was tastless.
- The space was not what I expected.Waldo416VIPDined on 5/12/2012The space was not what I expected. Service was slow and other staff handled requests. Food was adequate. Duo playing music was GREAT! So that made up for waits between courses.Special Features:
- Excellent live music. UnfortunatelySixpenceVIPDined on 5/12/2012Excellent live music. Unfortunately not a good menu for vegetarians!
- Live music was very enjoyable.WinendineVIPDined on 5/11/2012Live music was very enjoyable. Relaxing and quiet as we were there early in the evening.
- Would consider this as oneOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/5/2012Would consider this as one of the worst service experiences of any restaurant I've dined. When we arrived there were 3 tables of diners in the place. Some highlites: Waited 5 minutes before we ever saw anyone to seat us. Some tables got bread, some did not. We did not. I asked what was in one of the specialty cocktails and he said he never had one so he didn't know and would I still like one or something else. We waited for my wife's soup for 5 minutes after my salad came out. One diner went and got his own tables drinks after waiting so long, waiter thanked him for helping out. Forgot our order then took entre to 2 other tables before bringing to us. Never cleared wife's empty soup bowl all night. Funny stuff. Food was good.
- Top Notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2012The food was excellent. We had a couple of special dietary requests and they were handled cheerfully and cooperatively. Music was fabulous!! Wish more people knew about this wonderful combination of good food and outstanding entertainment - spread the word!Special Features:
- Great food, decent service,meandiDined on 4/18/2012Great food, decent service, decor needs a makeover
- We had a reservation for 8:30OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2012We had a reservation for 8:30 p.m. and when we got there we were the only people in the place. There weren't many food choices, as they were out of many of the selections; however, what we did get was excellent. Service, was excellent (as we would expect being the only customers). :)
- Live music was excellent!WinecatDined on 4/14/2012Live music was excellent! Food was good. Wait staff very friendly but young and perhaps got left hanging.....they did their best but you could tell something was wrong. Nice place for a relaxing dinner.
- Fun historic photos/momentosBillVIPDined on 4/14/2012Fun historic photos/momentos and good music weren't enough to offset spotty/slow service and skimpy/bland food. There are better choices in nearby Power & Light District.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful. ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2012Food was wonderful. Server was bery knowledgable and helpful.Will definitely return and recommend.Booked on open table and was supposed to be 1000 points credited. Only received 100.Special Features:
- A MUST TRY!VissidarteVIPDined on 4/1/2012It's a lovely historic place with delicious food, thoughtfully prepared and great service. It was a quiet Sunday evening in spite of all the activities going on in the Light and Entertainment district.Special Features:
- We went late. The appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2012We went late. The appetizer was great we had the scallops and it was cooked perfectly. The wine and beer selection was more than plentiful and we both got just what we wanted. I got the blue note salad and it was very good, I think it is the first time I have ever had or even heard of smoked blue cheese, this is a fantastic idea,the mixed greens with a blueberry vinagrete smoky blue cheese nice job there. Both of our entree's sounded good on the menu but obviously we were wrong. I had the chicken carbonara I got it because the fried poached egg on top of it sounded good and it was but that was all that was good in it. Wife got the crab cakes and said it was just ok felt like she was eating flowers to many flavor profiles.Special Features:
- Food was well prepared andpltsDined on 3/28/2012Food was well prepared and waitress made useful suggestions for pairing wine with food.Special Features:
- Drum Room misses the beat...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/28/2012I've been wanting to try the Drum Room ever since it reopened a few years ago; however, I must say that both the food and the decor were disappointing. They know how to braise short ribs, I'll give them credit for that much, but the accompanying sauces and garnish left much to be desired.Special Features:
- Food: tasted great! My husbandCholland7811VIPDined on 3/26/2012Food: tasted great! My husband had the scallops, and the sauce that was with them was outstanding! They were out of what I originally wanted, but I went with the stroganoff and it was good as well. Most tender meat ever!! S'mores dessert - AWESOME!! Service: Eh. When the waitress sat us, she said she'd be right back with some bread. After asking for the bread, it came a few minutes before our meal. After asking for silverware, we were able to enjoy our food. Atmosphere: We went on a Monday night, so it was very quiet, which was nice. However, if it was so quiet and not busy, why were they out of the one thing I wanted? And why was the service not particularly excellent? Overall good, but a little pricey for what you
- This was our first visit andScottTVIPDined on 3/26/2012This was our first visit and it will not be our last! The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was delicious and had great presentation. A definite stop for anyone in the downtown area.Special Features:
- It was very nice. Good service,ChinnDined on 3/25/2012It was very nice. Good service, good food! It wasn't very busy, so we got good attention.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012The food was outstanding, I highly recommend the smoked ribeye. There seemed to be a staff shortage on the evening we visited, so things were moving slowly. Still, the service managed to overcome this without the appearing overly stressed and hectic. The music was charming and festive,though the overall noise level was excessive. The fact that we were seated in a booth made this worse, as the table top was far to large for cross table conversation. I would request a standard table next time. Overall, the Drum Room is a unpretentious place that focuses on what matters, good food and professional service.Special Features:
- The service seemed a littleTimforeukDined on 3/24/2012The service seemed a little slow because there were only 3 wait staff. The staff were very good, but definitely busy. The bread rolls were waremd up in the microwave - too much, they were somewhat crunchy. The atmosphere was very pleasant. The braised ribs/stroganoff was delicious - outstanding!Special Features:
- There were 6 total conventionsRoom4dessertDined on 3/24/2012There were 6 total conventions in the area (3 booked at the hotel), Kauffman Center, Sprint Center and Midland performances that evening too. There was a need for management to staff accordingly--have a hostess and bus-ers. We had a great server who was obviously over-extended in her tasks. Crab cakes were yummy, pork chop a little tough. S'more dessert was wonderful.Special Features:
- Food was ok. Service wasDEDBVIPDined on 3/24/2012Food was ok. Service was not good but there were not enough waiters or people helping. We heard about this situation but decided to try the restaurant anyway. It was the same as we had read or heard about.
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012This was an okay experience. I thought the atmosphere was lacking. It felt as if you were sitting in a basement. Maybe linens on the table (eating in was was suppose to be fine dinning on a stainless steel table was not my ideas of fine dinning) and an updated decor would help. I understand the historical relevance of the space, but for the prices I was expecting a better atmosphere. Also, my bib lettuce salad had brown leaves that looked like they had been a small snack for a little bug. Other than that, the food was good.Special Features:
- Was expecting the old drumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2012Was expecting the old drum room so I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Marginal food. Poor service,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/23/2012Marginal food. Poor service, although we did dine in the bar area. Live music which was so loud we chose to sit in the bar area due to the volume. To be fair, the Hilton was completely sold out the night we were there, so this could account for some of the service shortfall.
- Service and food was veryToddzDined on 3/23/2012Service and food was very good. The bar was located right next to us and was so noisy, that the conversation was difficult at times. Entertainment music was good.
- The place was beautiful andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2012The place was beautiful and the music and food were great. The entrees were the size of an average appetizer. Service was great and wine affordable.Special Features: