Driskill Grill - Driskill Hotel
604 Brazos St.
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Driskill Grill - Driskill Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.driskillgrill.com/
- Phone: (512) 391-7162
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm;
Happy Hour in the Bar: Daily 5:00pm - 7:00pm, and all day Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Gelman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Chisholm Room is the historic private dining room accommodating groups of up to 35 People. Reservations are required for this room and special audio visual needs are available.
- Private Party Contact: Charlie Skipsey 5123917041
- Entertainment: The Driskill Grill and Driskill Bar have live music Tuesday - Saturday offered in the Lounge starting at 6:00pm and ending at 11:00pm.
A word from Driskill Grill - Driskill Hotel
The legendary Driskill Grill serves exquisite modern American cuisine Tuesday through Saturday. The Driskill Grill is a Four Diamond rated restaurant and is repeatedly ranked the number one restaurant in Austin. The Driskill Grill invites diners to feast on an ever-changing array of innovative and impeccably prepared fare in the most elegant of surroundings. The Driskill Grill uses locally grown products, seasonal ingredients and cutting edge menu choices which create a truly memorable dining experience. The Driskill Grill has received numerous awards and accolades including the coveted Foder's Choice Award, Zagat's ranking of "Extraordinary to Perfection" and OpenTable's Diners Choice Award. Wine Spectator, America's leading wine appreciation magazine has honored The Driskill Grill with their "Award of Excellence 2011."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Driskill Grill - Driskill Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Driskill Grill - Driskill Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)romantic (33)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- outstanding.tngmotorportsDined on 10/31/2014Outstanding in every aspect. 5 course wine paired diner was excellent. Service was impeccable. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ro BDJerryDined on 10/25/2014Food and service was excellent. The menu was limited and too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat FirstHazelDined on 10/21/2014The Driskill Grill is a beautifully appointed venue. The staff is polite, albeit a bit pretentious with superlatives abounding. My husband ordered the 5 course tasting menu. We were a table of 3 and one of only 3 other occupied tables and this at the dinner hour of 7 p.m. Perhaps that should have been a warning. The 5 course meal was a joke. The entrée, rib eye steak, consisted of two thin slices of meat equivalent to half a piece of melba toast. The total of the 5 course dinner's food ($69) would amount to a very small appetizer. We decided that the deceased Mr. Driskill probably died of starvation if he were the recipient of what "Chef" deemed to be appropriate serving sizes. A disappointing evening.Special Features:
- Wonderfully classy settingdiningdaveDined on 10/18/2014The Driskill Grill is located within the historic Driskill Hotel in downtown Austin. You enter through the glorious hotel lobby and up a set of stairs, passing through a lively lounge before you discover the restaurant. Its secure location hints at the intimate cozy ambiance to come. My party of five was seated at a round table in the center of the room which gave us a good overall read on the restaurant. The room can be adjusted - with movable curtains and doors - to be sized to the number of tables needed. On this evening, about ten tables were occupied (a UT football game surely kept the numbers down) but the restaurant still felt fairly full. The service and food were exceptional. The Grill is a must for any visit to Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Everything I ate here was delicious, but if there is one bad thing to say about the place is that the menu was rather small. I expected more than a plate of cheese with some crackers on it covered in jelly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Hotel Ambiancetlwhite1Dined on 10/17/2014The restoration of The Driskill is breathtaking. The bar and restaurant fit the hotel atmosphere. The service is great, the food is good. It is a great place to get together in downtown Austin.Special Features:
- Good service but lost its edgeSamGDined on 10/9/2014We tried the 5-course tasting menu and each course sounded delicious and they looked good when they arrived too. But the truth is that with the exception of 1 dish, the food was bland to the point of tasteless. The wine pairings were also uninteresting. I want to emphasize that the service was great and the decor was old-worldy-grand as it used to be. But the food simply didn't measure up, sadly.
- Servicetheprophit27Dined on 9/27/2014There were really long periods of time that it took for are food to get to use between meals. For instance, from when we ordered dessert it took 25 minutes to reach us.Special Features:
- Chef's Tasting Menu was Fantastic!ScaricDined on 9/24/2014We decided to try something different and let the chef choose for us. We were not disappointed. Everything was fabulous and the waitstaff was so descriptive with everything that was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfect...AEluvsREDined on 9/20/2014It is our FAVORITE place to go. The staff is amazingly friendly, the food is consistently perfect and it is one of the most beautiful resturants I've been in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and Over pricedjbm2511Dined on 9/20/2014First, I would like to say that the driskill hotel itself is beautiful. But after the waiter found out we were 20 and not old enough to drink the waiter treated us terribly. We arrived at the restaurant at 7:30 and we got seated immediately. We left the restaurant a few minutes after 10:30. Our food was decent but the waiter did not explain the menu at all. After paying the 180 dollars for dinner we were very disappointed. I would recommend on skipping the driskill grill and going to eddies v's or a food truck or cafe on south congress instead. Every small food truck or cafe in the south congress area has delicious food for literally a tenth of the price and the service is much better than the driskill.Special Features:
- Great timeFOOOOOODDined on 9/6/2014Exactly what I was looking for when I wanted a date night. Service staff was great, in that they didn't keep bothering us asking if we needing anything else. They knew if I needed something, I'd ask for it. Allowed us to get lost in some conversation without constant interruptions.Special Features:
- Tasting MenusmallbitesDined on 9/5/2014Went with a group of four coworkers who are from out of town, and wanted to show them something unique to Austin. The Driskill certainly is a gem in Austin, and they were amazed by the hotel. The restaurant couldn't have been nicer, the service was fantastic. But the tasting menu, well, for my friends who are English, Scottish and Chinese, it was not the right choice. Perhaps our fault for not realizing each taste would be so small - the waiter described it before we ordered as half portions. I think a chicken nugget is bigger than what each taste was. Not Austin cool. Sure we should have known, but the waiter, nice as he was, maybe could have prepared us for what we were in for, itty bitty amounts of food.Special Features:
- Worth every pennyThatGirlDined on 9/5/2014Caring and attentive staff, incredible food. Make sure to bring some dough because it isn't cheap but I promise it's worth every cent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good grill driskillJudy2546VIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was very very good. Cheese plate and dessert were outstanding. Main of steak was good but didn't like the addition of duck confit in the starch so much, but maybe that's just me. Went for brunch too. That was outstanding and nice offer of coffee to go!Special Features:
- Not what I expected!goodtimesDined on 8/16/2014We had the sampler 5 course meal and it was not what we expected at all! The service was great, except for the fact they just assumed we knew everything about the menu even after we told them this was our first visit! It was all about the fancy flavors which were ok, but portions were super tiny and a couple of the portions of the meal were not very good at all. In the defense of the grill, my wife had a martini that was not good at all and they were fine with bringing her a different drink. Super polite service, but again, for the money I feel like it was a huge waste.Special Features:
- Disappointing anniversary dinnerSpecialoccasionspoiledDined on 8/16/2014Had hoped for live music, soft and romantic, but live music supposedly is in the lounge. Piped in music was good. Bread and butter were delicious. Main course was awful. My meat was so tough that it was difficult to chew. I cut thin slivers of meat and still had trouble chewing, swallowed some bites as a lump, wondering if it would go down. My fingers cramped trying to cut. My knife came out with a hair on it. When I set it on the side of the plate, I could see it in the dim lights. Later I showed the waitress, and the cook thought it was fibers from the toppings on the meat. Either way, not appetizing. Gave up and let my hungry husband have remaining meat, over half. Don't drink so received complementary anniversary dessert to share.Special Features:
- Exquisite placeBOGOSaleDined on 8/14/2014Dinner at The Driskill was exquisite. My date and I had the 5 course menu. All the courses were very delicious. The tartare was a bit salty but delectable otherwise. The service was great. The wait staff was very professional and extremely courteous. They definitely made us feel rich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner512JDined on 8/8/2014Highly recommended, but not for vegetarians. The service was outstanding, the atmosphere romantic, the tasting menu deliciously sophisticated yet accessible. But my wife's vegetarian version of the tasting menu lacked creativity. Upon realizing her dissatisfaction, the waitstaff took pains to make it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timelittlebossDined on 8/2/2014Had the 5 course chef's tasting menu - it was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to propose!lsaldivarDined on 8/2/2014Great place! I proposed to my girlfriend there. The service and food was absolutely awesome! It was a low key proposal and I did not inform the staff before hand. I did it after and they were absolutely great about it. Wrote a congratulatory note on our desert and got some complementary champagne. Simple, great, and most memorable for my new fiance and myself. Absolutely recommend this restaurant. Thank you all again for making it a wonderful memory for us! We will definitely be going back when we are in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceaustinchikDined on 7/30/2014This was my first time eating there and it was a great experience. The bar area was classy and comfy. The dining area was very elegant and the service was great! I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great placezthomasDined on 7/25/2014The Driskill has a wonderful history and the food matches it perfectly. My guest and I both had the surf and turf filet topped with prawns. Absolutely delicious. I highly recommend the Driskill Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 863 reviews are from the Driskill Grill - Driskill Hotel reviews archive.
- Sadly disappointedChuckDined on 7/19/2014My wife and started going to the Driskill Grill in 2003 for our anniversary dinner and kept up the tradition until we moved out of town in 2012. No matter how much we spent there it was always worth it. The food and service were impeccable. I'm not sure why they changed, but the service was 2 star at best. This was our last time there. We came back to Austin for our anniversary weekend and dinner was supposed to be the highlight. The staff have been replaced with untrained servers. I was shocked at their lack of training. The food was still good, but the portions were a fraction of their former size. Wink has super sized portions compared to here. We went away hungry and sad that our favorite place had fallen to such lows.
- Special Occasion successfulPromisefulfulledDined on 7/19/2014This was a special event for our granddaughter and the Chefs and staff made her feel very special. The food was excellent and the five course meal was presented in a very colorful way with a full explanation of the servings. Chef Knapp has a crew to be proud of here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicemcastroDined on 7/18/2014We chose the 5 dinner course for Friday night. It was nice, the meal was good, but not as good as I expected. First entre was a cold soup in a shot glass. The presentations were pretty, but small. I'm a petite woman, and I barely got full and my husband didn't. I was looking forward to the main course, and it was delicious, but hardly any. It wasn't on top of potatoes or some other filling vegetable. I didn't care for the Peach Cobbler desert even if it was different. My husband ordered a beer, they forgot about it. The glass of wine I ordered was the last of the bottle, I was told by the waitress that she'd come back with a new bottle to top it off, she never did. At least they did not charge us for those.Special Features:
- Historic venue w/well earned repOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Our food was superb, just a little slow coming out but worth the wait. The best venison I've ever eaten and attractive presentation. Called ahead and told them it was our anniversary and they threw in a glass of bubblely and desert. Lived up to being on the list of top area restaraunts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwsomeBeckieDined on 6/27/2014This was incredible and the service was exceptional.Special Features:
- DiningReviewDined on 6/7/2014I have eaten here numerous times and I'm sorry to say that this was the first time the meal was not up to their usual high standards. I had soft shell crabs, which the waiter described as 'lightly' battered in cornmeal. Instead it was heavily battered and tasted very fishy--I ate only 1/3 of it- It was very disappointing and I would have sent it back but didn't want to spoil the mood since we were celebrating a friend's birthday there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/5/2014My family really enjoyed our dinner here to celebrate our son's graduation. The food and service were excellent. I particularly appreciated our quiet location, as my father is very hard of hearing and usually cannot participate in conversation at most restaurants.Special Features:
- Worth the price!foodartDined on 6/3/2014Dining at the Driskill was a lovely experience that I will remember for a long time. My husband and I went to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we had the seven course tasting menu. Every course exceeded our expectations and the service was above and beyond the best we'd ever had. I especially loved how the servers were a friendly, though refined type of attentive, not snobby at all, even when we admitted we didn't know anything about wine. The total cost of our evening was around $250, but well worth it for a special occasion. The meal was served over three hours as each course was brought out with a special introduction. It was more of an experience, like going to a museum, than simply eating a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnercandacedailyDined on 5/29/2014I really enjoyed the romantic atmosphere, the wait staff was very attentive and friendly. The chef even went out of his way to make something not featured on that night's menus. We did the chef's tasting, everything was delicious, my favorites being the scallops and beef cheek. Cocktails were also yummy! Thanks, I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- ImpeccablefoodiefunDined on 5/29/2014Our meals were feasts for the senses. Of 4 different meal choices, none disappointed. The filet mignon was tender and for an additional treat, antelope was served on this particular evening. Couldn't decide which was better, the beef or the antelope! Goat cheesecake must be experienced - DELISH! And the service remained attentive and impeccable throughout the evening. Wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.evaoDined on 5/17/2014We looked forward to a special night out at the Driskill Grill. Although the food was adequate, we were VERY disappointed overall. The portion sizes were small and the service was informal, to say the least. The best part of the meal was the wine (each of us had a glass of white - both the Torrontes and the Albarino were excellent, and the pours were generous). We split an entree and an appetizer - and the bill was over $100. We agreed - not worth it.
- WonderfulMomof2prtygrlzDined on 5/16/2014We had my daughter's graduation dinner here and the staff went out of their way to make the evening completely special from beginning to end! The food was spectacular and the service was excellent. They allowed my husband to bring in a special, large picture collage and they had it displayed on a pretty stand. They also presented her with a very beautiful and tasty cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly doneSoDisappointed1Dined on 5/16/2014The dinner menu is a disaster. The salads were absolutely ridiculous portion wise. The kitchen was way off in timing. There are not near enough entree choices and most entrees included some type of pork this sauce or pork that sauce.
- College graduation celebration!WoodyKingDined on 5/15/2014Driskill Grill is a fantastic spot for dinner and drinks to celebrate college graduation! Elegant yet comfortable, authentic Austin ambiance, delicious appetizers, entrees and desserts. A delightful evening !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in a old favorite!MickVIPDined on 5/10/2014We have been going to the Grill for years and always considered it one of our "old favorites". Unfortunately this time was very disappointing. Menu had no salad with lettuce, entrees were very limited,( best lamb chops in world gone, veggies very average. Service was great at first then waitress and support disappeared. We sat with plates after finished for 15 to 20 min before finally picked up! Will not be in a hurry to return!Special Features:
- wonderful foodMickeyDined on 5/8/2014the food was exceptionally good and beautifully presented. The service was excellent...and the noise level...interesting. All and all a great meal.Special Features:
- Pay for ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Great atmosphere, service was fair. Entree dishes were good, not terrific. Expected more for the price. The bar outside the restaurant was great tho, make sure to arrive early for a cocktail before dinner.Special Features: