619 Sleepy Hollow Ln.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://driftwoodkitchen.com/
- Phone: 9497157700x
- Hours of Operation:
Driftwood Kitchen is open 7 days a week
Breakfast Mon-Fri 9am-11am
Lunch Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm
Brunch Sat & Sun 9am-2:30pm
Stateroom Bar is open daily from 5pm-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Rainer Schwarz
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Driftwood Kitchen
Driftwood Kitchen features a classic California Coastal vibe that reflects the breathtaking oceanfront views, and a menu with the freshest and finest seafood, steaks and hand-shucked oysters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Driftwood Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Laguna Beach ›
Driftwood Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (151)great for outdoor dining (148)romantic (78)fit for foodies (73)special occasion (72)neighborhood gem (61)great for lunch (61)great for brunch (57)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (19)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (11)Show More
- Masterpiece ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014A nice evening, but the high-end price did not match the food served. The Lamb was average and the cherry tomatoes were bland as was the dollop of mashed potatoes hiding under the Lamb. The Omaha Steak was average. The drinks were average. The view watching the sunset was a masterpiece. Waitress was sweet. No condiments on table to snack on while drinking. A small plate of olives would have been nice and prompted me to order more small plates before dinner. Very high noise level. I don't mind noise, but this noise/chatter was as if you are in a tunnel. I am not sure they have discovered their niche quite yet. It's a beautiful location. Hoping they will enhance the preparation and seasoning of their dinner plates so that I can say WOW!Special Features:
- Food was really mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014Overpriced for this type of food. Had a whole Bronzino. It was fried in a curled shape. Too crispy and no fish knife. The shrimp linguine were taste less and too buterry.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceMichaelVIPDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant has it all. The view is spectacular (right on the beach) and the food was also terrific. The service was very good. The hostess stand was a little disorganized and they could do a better job but once you sit down, everything is great. It would be hard not to recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!patriceVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was great, the ambiance beautiful, romantic, hip & breathtaking views, the service great - food came out so fast & servers very friendly & attentive. Highly recommend & one of my new fav spots!Special Features:
- Great view but disappointing foodlgnabch1Dined on 9/11/2014My spouse and I went for his birthday dinner. Had a great table on outside patio overlooking the ocean. Ordered oysters on the 1/2 shell and house fries for appetizers. The fries were ok but the oysters were tiny and way overpriced. Ordered halibut and a steak/pork belly combo for dinner. The halibut was delicious and perfectly prepared but the steak/pork belly entrée was very disappointing. The menu/wine list is very confusing and everything is overpriced, especially the wines. There are so many other great restaurants in Laguna that aren't so pricey. If you want to check this place out, recommend going for lunch and enjoy the view.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Perfect evening and sunset. Great small plate selection. A little pricey. Small plates can creep up on you and add up on the final bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightYummyDined on 9/7/2014Certainly helped that the sunset was one if the most beautiful Ever. Everything was good though. Perfect evening with my husband and two good friends. It was a birthday celebration for me and staff made me feel special. Halibut was perfect as was all the food loved the quinoa salad. We shared crab cake and another appetizer. Yummy. Love the tribute cocktails. Can't beat the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014It was our anniversary and we had a great time! We got the best seat in the balcony overlooking the ocean. Food was good and we had the best time! Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Breakfast so soOCfoodjunkieDined on 9/7/2014We had reservations at 9:00 when they opened. While the food was just ok, the service was very poor. They have a very limited breakfast menu. First we ordered a basket of muffins and pastries and the waiter came back and said they didn't have any. It was a long wait between then and when he took our order. After we ordered he informed us that the muffins had arrived. Which means they didn't prepare them there. We were at our table 1 hour before we got our food. When we were finish with our meal, no one came to clean our table of six and we sat there another 30 minutes with a dirty table. Overall, we were there 1 1/2 hours. Nice view of the ocean but that was the only highlight.
- Overall opinionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014I think the place could be cleaner! It was even hard to handle the menu's, they were all so sticky. The food could use a little more TLC. The concept is great but I just think that there needs to be a little more attention to all the above categories!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- BreakfastcalidreaminDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed a beautiful ocean front breakfast on our last day in Laguna. My pancakes with fruit were perfect. The coffee was very good. The service was friendly and attentive. We will return next time we visit Laguna Beach.Special Features:
- A huge disappointmentDiscerningTasteDined on 9/4/2014Ridiculous pricing for the size of the portion. Clearly you are paying for the view that only 8 people get to enjoy. I requested an ocean view. I called 4x to see how full they were and explain the reason for the patio seating request They were non committal. The afternoon of the reservation I called only to learn that the patio was 1st come 1st serve for parties of 2. It was a Thursday night after Labor Day-not busy. They did NOT grant my wish and my engagement did not go off a planned. Instead, they gave the patio 2 top tables away, prior to my 630 reservation and could not even hold a table for me, to execute my sentimental occasion. This only addresses the service, doesn't begin to address the food. I will NEVER go there again!Special Features:
- Great find!lives2dineDined on 9/4/2014Tried to get to the Deck but found out this opened. It was a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best casual dining at the beachjb2bVIPDined on 8/31/2014It's hard to find great food with a view like this. This one's a keeper.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We were so impressed with DK! Best burger I think either of us has ever had- perfect juicyness and the vine ripe tomato was delicious. The view on the patio cannot be beat, not even by The Deck or other Laguna Beach gems. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Run By Kids in "Paper Hats"NotafanofdriftwoodDined on 8/29/2014Would not recommend. Made a reservations weeks in advance. Love the Deck, thought we would give Driftwood Kitchen a try. We were disappointed with how poorly managed the restaurant was. After offering us an unexceptionable table, we asked to be seated elsewhere. There were several tables open. After checking with management the employe told us the only other option was having dinner at the bar. We chose to leave, but more importantly as we we're leavening there were no patrons waiting to be seated. From our experience had there been an adult, skilled in hospitality, we would have been accommodated. Went to Tortilla Republic had a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- They opened 3 months ago1kitchenDined on 8/28/2014Lots of energy. Crowded. Reservationist said they were full at the time we wanted to go, but got a reservation on Open Table for the very same time! Lots of empty tables made me wonder. Food was exotic and good. Prices were on the high end. Waitress was cheerful but incredibly stressed with a lot of tables to serve. Therefore, service was slow. Hopefully they will work it out as it is a great location.Special Features:
- waterfront diningBodineDined on 8/28/2014This restaurant replaces the Beach House in Laguna Beach. Upscale setting and two level of dining right on the beach. Appetizers & food were very tasty and well prepared, good seafood selections & good bar - we will return!Special Features:
- Salmon was raw in the middleCaligirlDined on 8/28/2014My son ordered the salmon. It was completely raw in the middle. Sent it back. He got another and it too was raw. They removed the salmon from our bill. Overall I'd say the food was bland. We had the kale salad, the zucchini blossoms, and the halibut. Not impressed. The view is amazing though.Special Features:
- Driftwood Kitchen and Deck FabulousSuesFabFindsDined on 8/28/2014Both are basically on the sand!!! Driftwood is a great casual dinner spot overlooking waves, where The Deck is super casual, loud, music, bar, and right down by the sand. We had a memorable surf n Turf dinner while watching the beautiful waves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean diningDisappointedDined on 8/26/2014Feels like you are dining on the beach. Wonderful place for a relaxing lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014The menu is ambitious and the chef is not up to standard. The angel hair pasta dish was not eatable, the crab cakes were salty and did not much taste like crabcakes. The service was OK but this restaurant should be better. The waitress told my wife not to order one of the dishes because it was one of the items most often sent back; that comment should have warned us. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- michqueyDined on 8/24/2014The views and restaurant ambience are everything! Doesn't hurt that food is delicious too. Brunch blew us away. Dinner was good, could be improved a bit, but truly it was the waterfront sunset views that had our attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The view is awesone. Right on the ocean 20 feet up on deck. Breakfast was a little pricey but for a special occasion okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerCDTowerVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was our first visit to the revamped restaurant. It was a great experience. Service was excellent and the food tasty and unique. All in...well done Driftwood Kitchen!Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationTustinFoodieDined on 8/23/2014We have been going to this location to celebrate various special events for 25+ years as The Beach House. Came back to celebrate our anniversary at the new Driftwood Kitchen. We loved it . The food, service and of course the amazing view, perfect sunset and crashing waves were awesome ! We will be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is FantasticZwarioDined on 8/22/2014Make sure to make reservations in advance! This is a great place for a night out with friends, or to take your Hunny for a beautiful view and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedjuleruDined on 8/21/2014The service was slow. my steak was tough. my friend's salmoneas way too salty. The prices were high. I dont mind paying more for a really good meal but i feel i wasted my money when the food isnt worth it. its ine more restaurant banking too much on location rather than great food. i do not think i will be back.
- Views Views ViewsfoodluverDined on 8/21/2014If you want to dine on the ocean it doesn't get better than this. This is the old Beach House, which we used to love but in recent years had gone downhill badly. Driftwood Kitchen has opened in its place and has been remodeled and seems to be what the Beach House once was. It is clean, the decor is nice and the food great. The artichoke app was outstanding with a great combo of flavors. We were there for lunch and had the salmon sandwich which was a very nice piece of salmon on thick sliced rye bread. Wasn't sure I would like the rye bread with salmon, but it went together very well. Hamburger likewise was excellent. Neither of us cared for the salad served with it, way to much vinegar. The little salad with the artichoke was greatSpecial Features:
- Great ocean front dinning and foodRMR2Dined on 8/19/2014This is certainly one if the best views on Laguna - you are right above the beach. It is next to and part of "The Deck" which is a bar at the beach. They are both constructed out of two big old, craftsman style beach houses. But that alone isn't enough to make a good restaurant. The food is also creative and delicious. Certainly as good as Nick's, but in a much more unique location. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with long time friendslocallygrown1Dined on 8/19/2014Must still be under renovation, entered through a side entrance and waited in a room that had no flooring .When we left I noticed all it's furniture was being removed in the midst of diners coming and going. Ate on the patio at around 5:30, waitress ok, nervous probably new. Wine and cocktail list larger than food choices.. wouldn't recommend to foodies. Ok ocean view, not dramatic for laguna. Wine good,salmon good. Angel hair pasta was cold, wasn't angel hair but thick noodles, tasteless fava and lima beans. I'd give it one more try but wait several months until they finish renovations and refine menu. Experience was saved by visit with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceLagunaPatDined on 8/18/2014Soft shell crab was awesome; the salmon entree was cooked to perfection (tender in the center). Our server, the lovely Ariana, is a true professional and made the entire evening evening that much more enjoyable. Thanks for a great night, DK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was okay; location is greatlagunaticDined on 8/18/2014Obviously the view and beach front location are unbeatable; the former Beach House. New windows, paint and floors. $10 to valet park. My lunch was just ok - octopus tacos were served not as pictured on website and there was too much sauce and they were very fishy. I was bummed because all of the reviews were amazing but mine were loaded with a green drippy sauce, fishy smelling and tasting, and topped with a huge pile of shredded chinese cabbage - mostly the yellow inner part. Not as described or pictured on the menu at all and not very delicious. The quinoa salad was pretty good. I asked for some protein on it, a grilled chicken breast, which was served totally dry . I live nearby and will give it another shotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tenderloin in my lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014I had the surf and turf, and as the lobster tail was quite good, the tenderloin had myself and my wife in disbelief. It was the most tender, flavorful piece of meat I have ever had in my life. Can't wait to go back. Also, the service was very good.Special Features:
- Fresh tastesJustMikeDined on 8/15/2014Everything we ordered was delicious and we cleaned our plates - the menu is great for sharing so we just ordered a bunch of plates and shared. Wait staff was always nearby and attentive but not in your face - think we sat peacefully meandering over the menu with wine for 20 minutes before we were ready to order, and before I could look for the waitress, she appeared - fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceEmpressDined on 8/15/2014We were seated quickly with options of balcony or indoor tables. The waiter was attentive and made good recommendations from the menu (halibut was tender) . Food was served a bit slow considered it was after lunch time rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two wordsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Friggin awesome! Okay so a few more. Food was outstanding, device was great, the only minus was the noise level. However, the food, service, and fantastic view/ location made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingmseckDined on 8/14/2014we made a special reservation her when our kids came in town because we heard it was the new fun place. Unfortunately, even with a reservation, we waited 45 minutes for a table. The food was overpriced, and not well seasoned, the drinks were ok. It seemed like a place to be seen, but not enjoyed.Special Features:
- Dinner at Driftwood KitchenBobandShirleyDined on 8/14/2014The atmosphere and dinning experience is great. We had a very good dinner and the waiter was most attentive and gave us great servicve. The Deck area has a very different atmosphere and is not for those other than the young set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceangiVIPDined on 8/13/2014The setting alone makes this restaurant worth a visit. We went for lunch and had great food-shared squash blossoms and then a perfect burger for me and octopus tacos for my friend. She must have loved them as she ate every crumb on her plate. We each has a delicious cocktail. Our server was friendly, honest, and effective. I will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.