27 Powers Court
Westport, CT 06880Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dressingroomhomegrown.com/
- Phone: 2032261114
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH * Wednesday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:00pm DINNER * Monday - Gone Fishin' * Tuesday thru Thursday - 5:00pm to 10:30pm * Friday & Saturday - 5:00pm to 11:30pm * Sunday - 5:00pm to 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Michel Nischan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
A word from Dressing Room
Michel Nischan, chef, cookbook author and avid proponent of healthy, sustainable and culturally significant food and social causes, has teamed up with like-minded actor and philanthropist Paul Newman to open DRESSING ROOM-Newman's Own., A Homegrown Restaurant. Located on the grounds of the Westport Country Playhouse, the restaurant servesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dressing Room reviews from OpenTable diners
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013I returned to the Dressing Room for New Year's Eve after having a good experience in 2012. Unfortunately, this experience was entirely different. Service was understaffed , therefore it was slow and scrambling. A good 10-15 minutes before a waiter addressed us. The kitchen seemed to suffer similar issues starting with side dishes being delivered with our appetizers. 3 out of 8 in our party received cold entrees. After returning the entrees 3 times to reheat the dishes, we were left eating cold steak while the rest of our party had already finished dinner. Ownership attempted to address the issues once learning of the problems but the experience dampened our New Year's and my wife's birthday celebration. Disappointing.
- Shockingly Unprofessional ServiceMarcDined on 12/29/2013After being seated for our 8:30 reservation, we ordered cocktails. While finishing up cocktails ~8:45, we were told kitchen closes at 9:00 and we were urgently asked to place our order[s]. We asked to speak with a manager, and our waitress explained the manager and host left for the evening. We then asked to speak with the chef. About 5 minutes later another waitress attended to our table suggesting that the kitchen was closing in 5 minutes. When we inquired as to why the chef did not come out and speak with us, the waitress stormed off/disappeared from the dining area. The bar tender then called across the dining room to inform us that the kitchen is closed and would not take our order.
- Great ambience & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013Attention to detail, excellent service, great atmosphere, very interesting menu .... exactly what you would expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relax, enjoy & be able to converseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Interesting food, good svc. & atmosphere & noise level where u can talk. Can also sit at bar. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013food just ok. service was good but when we walked in we were not greeted and they seemed disorganized. menu not accomodating for kids.
- Terrific!jasfDined on 12/22/2013The food was incredible, the atmosphere was cozy, the service was great. Best restaurant I've been to in years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Teeny entrees at dressing roomDisappointedbirthdaygalDined on 12/21/2013I've eaten at Dressing Room in Westport several times and been pleased with the hearty farm to table cuisine and decor. This was my birthday dinner with my husband and two married children and their spouses, so six of us. The menu is divided into light bites, medium bites, and can't recall, maybe hearty bites. Anyhow, the portions were all incredibly small, hence very EXPENSIVE for what you got. I ordered something billed as a medium bite - lobster and mussels. What arrived was an appetizer portion of I swear 3 teeny bites of lobster - less than you'd expect in a lobster bisque, about 8 or 12 mussels, in an unappealing sauce, way too many pieces of squash, and 2 huge pieces of garlic bread. Are they economizing or what? And this cost $24.Special Features:
- GReat food! Great Music!DedeDined on 12/20/2013We went to Dressing Room on a Friday night with our friends. The food was truly incredible! Every one of us had something different and were all ecstatic. We all ended up giving each other bites of everything because we wanted to give each other the joy of tasting what we got. Our server was very pleasant and VERY patient with us as several of us at the table had eating limitations and lots of questions. After dinner we moved to the bar area for dessert so we could listen to the wonderful music. One of Paul Newman's daughter has a beautiful jazz singing voice and sings with a great drummer ( brushes only) and bassist and guitarist. It was very charming and we were still able talk and enjoy or wonderful desserts.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and warm ambiencemsmouseDined on 12/13/2013We dine here at least 3-4 times a year and it's consistently good. Friday nights have entertainment; Melissa Newman's jazz trio or Michel Nischan's band House dressing plays every other Friday. that front room with bar can get loud so if you want conversation ask to be seated in the back dining room. The charm of the Westport Playhouse and it's history is evident as is Michel's commitment to use local, seasonal ingredients in the menu. It is a gem of a restaurant for any meal. In summer you can dine on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good. PortionsRicksterDined on 12/8/2013Consistently good. Portions are not overwhelming. Cool spot to eat.Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphere, interesting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2013Can't beat the rustic charm and blazing fireplace. The menu choices are interesting & pretty gourmet -- not for the plain eater. The prices are on the high side considering the portion sizes but nothing out of the ordinary for Westport. I went on a Sunday and it was so so quiet, I would like to come back on a night when it's a little more lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great experience!goodmealloversDined on 12/7/2013We just had an wonderful dining experience. I ordered the Millstone salad and the chicken breast, they were both perfect! The dressing was a wonderful apple vinegar with slices of apples and the lettuce tasted like it was picked that day. The chicken had roasted squash served with it that was so sweet and delicious but I can't say enough about how perfectly the chicken was prepared. The rest of the table ordered the pork tenderloin special and it was succulent,flavorful and perfectly cooked. The desserts were as wonderful as the rest of the meal. I had a great cup of coffee and my husband had the apple pie which was the best pie ever served with a carmel ice cream. Our friends had the Devil Chocolate cake, it too was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cozy small restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2013Very cozy small restaurant. Excellent food and service. Will go back again. Dark parking lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/slow kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/1/2013While the food was delicious I was disappointed with our wait time. We had a party of 6 adults and 2 small children for brunch and we did not get our food for an hour, which mainly consisted of eggs and pancakes. Unfortunately by the time the food arrived the small kids had reached their limit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- If price is no object, the bestCartographerDined on 11/28/2013Rosemary & Caramel together in Ice cream. Chocolate beer. Alsace wine. Sauces to match your duck or rockfish and enhance its taste. Excellent vegetables with each plate, and the opportunity to eat with stage and movie legends, even if not in flesh, in spirit. This is Paul Newmans restaurant. And yes Joan Woodward still comes here. Expect if dining for two to spend at least $100. But you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalFoodL0verDined on 11/28/2013The Dressing Room always meets our need for extraordinary dining. Chef Nichon's menu has wonderfully creative dishes that are plated artistically and served by a friendly staff that has been with him for a time. We are vegan and always find the best of dining here. The kale salad, his popular and delicious corn bread, and roasted vegetable are only a few of the things that satisfy our palate. Sitting in front of a warm fireplace on a cold day in the restaurant==is just the best! We return again and again....Special Features:
- ThanksgivingGmaDDined on 11/28/2013My husband and I had a most pleasant Thanksgiving holiday dinner at The Dressing Room. We both had a traditional turkey entree with stuffing, although there were several other interesting choices. We also enjoyed fresh salads and great desserts .. and tried Newman chardonnay, which was new to us and added to our dining experience. The casual, rustic atmosphere suited us just fine ..and the service was very attentive without being intrusive. We are looking forward to returning to sample more menus and seasons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving Dinneralexthegreat80Dined on 11/28/2013We went for thanksgiving and it was amazing. The stuffing was the best I've ever had. My girlfriend had the meatloaf, and she ate every thing on the plate. The rosemary caramel homemade ice cream was outstanding, I could have eaten that by the pint. we will be going back again to try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ItsaelbuDined on 11/21/2013As far as I'm concerned, The Dressing Room is the only pricey restaurant that makes me feel like I'm UNDER-paying. The space is warm and homey. The staff are knowledgeable and accommodating. The food is good and attractively presented. We didn't feel rushed (and ended up staying 3 hours). This was our second time visiting for a special occasion, and will continue to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2013Food was very very good, reasonably priced as well. Service was very good and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Great live music on FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2013Great live music on Friday nights. Alternates Friday with two types of music: pop folk type music on the mellow side with singers. The singer and jazz trio offers something more sophisticated. Really good singer, Melissa Newman, does jazz, blues and some American songbook. It's real jazz, not cabaret or show tunes and you can talk and eat while listening. It has a warm cozy club feel. The bar is so inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodFattyPantsDined on 11/2/2013Loved loved everything about the food. "To die for" is what we said as I left. Service was excellent. Did feel our table was a little too close to the one next to as I couldn't push my chair out fully to get up, but other than that, had the best dining experience one could ask for. Well done Dressing Room!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place rocks!ChadslandscapeDined on 10/30/2013Food & service are always excellent. It's eeally become a frequent favorite.Special Features:
- Dressing Room Consistently GoodPennyDined on 10/22/2013I dine regularly at The Dressing Room and enjoy the "healthy" take on interesting meals. Some are better than others, of course, and sometimes I'm absolutely thrilled, other times it's just OK. But I do enjoy going there and will continue to support the restaurant. It is pricey, though.Special Features:
- Due to its location tightMamaguccDined on 10/19/2013Due to its location tight next to the theater, if you have tickets for the Westport Playhouse, the Dressing Room is your best choice. My only complaint was the closeness of the tables to each other.Special Features:
- excellentautom1360Dined on 10/11/2013A down-to-earth restaurant serving exceptional food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Point of ViewDinetteDined on 10/11/2013Atmosphere is fun. Food quite good but menu a bit misleading. Wine by glass quite pricey. Service excellent. Noise level in back room more comfortable than front,I would recommend this to a friend.
- What 'wonderfully' preparedTiggerDined on 10/11/2013What 'wonderfully' prepared homemade food that simply melts in your mouth....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Please!!PaulNewmanDined on 10/10/2013Service would have gotten rated better if the right soup came out and we didn't have to ask for things a second time we ordered the first time. The waitress didn't write anything down and also was not the most attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fresh, always consistentWeejobsVIPDined on 10/8/2013Nice to enjoy really good American food for a change. Dressing Rooms hits on all counts. Nice every season. Try it! Great staff, well trained and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and deliciousCrystalinctDined on 9/28/2013We walked in afraid the place would be stuffy or too hoity toity given its reputation but were immediately greeted and treated like family. The food only surpassed service and congeniality of the staff, which is to say it was savory, unique and thoughtfully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming place, nice countrysh20Dined on 9/27/2013Charming place, nice country ambience. The food was good and the live acoustic music was a nice surprise.Special Features:
- reliably good restaurantNannyDined on 9/25/2013For a special occasions we think of Dressing Room. Chopped salad is consistently excellent, always surprising with unusual herbs; the striped bass dish was delicious. The two desserts we sampled (bread pudding and the fruit crisp) were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavors and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2013Amazing flavors and great local/sustainable foods! Seasonal American food at it's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinereatsoutmuchDined on 9/14/2013Coming from NJ, meeting family from CT. Favorite place to meet. Feel good restaurant with farm to table choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed/irrateOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/7/2013I have been many, many times over the past few years and it has slowly gone downhill. This was the worst! The food was less than mediocre, even their signature meatloaf which they changed. The burgers were overcooked. We had to send the ribs back (and overheard a table behind us doing the same) b/c it was tasteless and overcooked which they neglected to remove from the bill. We had to track a staff member down to pay as it was drizzling on us for a good 5 minutes. And, when asked how our meal was by the matre d' (and we answered truthfully), he was not responsive or apologetic. It used to be a neighborhood back-up; not even that to us anymore!Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchLuv2eatDined on 9/7/2013Plan on returning to dine and see a play in October. We can not wait to celebrate our anniversary at The Dressing Room! Ambiance was great and the noise level very lowISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a keeper!Luv2dineDined on 9/6/2013What we ate: Appetizers, nice assortment of cheeses but served without crackers. A bit disappointed Tomato salad. Excellent. Zucchini squash "spaghetti". In a red sauce was good but would have preferred withou the sauce. Dinner, chicken pot which was hearty with a tasty crust and filling Salmon very nicely prepared Tile fish which was a special was also very good Dessert, shared a peach cobbler which was ok The wait staff is very good and attentive and explained the different dishes even telling us where it came from, how it was prepared, and what it ate or how it was grown. We were amazed. We would definitely all go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2013My wife and I went there for our anniversary. From the start we received nothing but courteous treatment. We were seated quickly and began to peruse the menu. There was quite a bit on the menu, but we finally decide on their "spoon" salad and macaroni and cheese as their appetizer and the mini burger and Rabbit Ragout. The salad tasted amazingly fresh. The Mac and cheese was robust with thick cheese flavor. The mini burger wasnt that mini and packed a lot of flavor, not as juicy as one would like, but still good. The rabbit ragout was presented beautifully. It was a good combination of different flavors. Overall a good place to spend a quiet night to eat good food and catch up with the one you love. Great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater convenience and organicMarianeileenDined on 9/3/2013They are in the same building as the Westport Country Playhouse, around the back, and sharing the parking lot. People may go there for other reasons, but for us it is perfect when we are seeing a play. Somewhat limited menu, but it does change a bit depending on the season. Very high quality organic ingredients, almost all from local producers. Great staff.Special Features: